Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: 2011 Honda CR-V owners are reporting problems where the engine revs when braking.

Our data is showing early signs of a defect trend, so that's why we've flagged the 2011 CR-V with our "Beware of the Clunker" rating. Time will tell whether this continues to be a problem, & if so, whether Honda will be able to identify the problem & fix it.

2011 Honda CR-V brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Honda CR-V:

2011 Honda CR-V Owner Comments

Jun 292016

Takata recall. I took my vehicle in to have the airbag replaced and the day I got on it back, 29jun16, the ABS/vsa system had shutdown on me. I took it back to the dealership immediately and wasn't able to get it taken care of since the technicians were gone. Two days later they were able to take a look at it and they said it seems to be a faulty sensor or wiring issue. After having the sensor replaced the system still shutdown on me. As of yesterday, and several trips to the dealership, they determined that the vsa module had failed. I did some research and discovered that vsa module failure has occurred before that led up to a lawsuit and recall on vsa modules. I don't believe I'm the only one out there still having vsa module failure issues. Is this still a problem you guys are getting complaints about" is there any information you guys can provide to me regarding this matter" I've already notified Honda of usa about this and am now notifying you guys of the problem. The system has shutdown on me at random. Sometimes it happens when I first start the car up and it's still in park and other times it has happened while driving down city streets and highways whether I'm braking or not.

- Mesa, AZ, USA

Mar 192016

At times when I lightly apply the brakes, it feels like it is trying to accelerate instead of slow down. It does this for a few seconds. It's kind of like a quick rev of the engine. Also when I lightly apply brakes, I feel a small clunk or a quick grip. Then it lets loose. It feels like it is coming from the rear right side. It happens at various times.

- Spokane, WA, USA

Sep 302015

Was at very low speed and attempting to park my car in a mall parking spot. As I tried to slow down further and park the car and turning into the spot, the car accelerated even though I applied maximum pressure to the brakes. The car continued to accelerate and I side swiped one car on my left and rammed the car in front of my space---my car continued to accelerate. The car finally stopped because of the impact to the other vehicle and I finally could turn the car off as it was still running. This is the second time this has happened. Both instances were very similar as I was parking the car in a space at low speed. The first instance was very minor (occurred in Mar 2013) but this instance is very major--serious damage to my car and the other cars--I was lucky I did not get hurt in either case--something is wrong with this car and maybe 2011 Cr-vs.

- Plano, TX, USA

Nov 052014

Pulled into turning lane off highway. In preparing to turn, I pressed on the brakes but instead of slowing down, the car accelerated. Pressed brake to floor but felt no resistance (soft brake). Pressed emergency brake to the floor and threw car into neutral. Luckily I was going slow enough and there were no other cars coming so I was able to make the turn even though brakes were not working. I turned the wheel quickly onto a straight away and released the emergency brake. I pressed the brakes and they worked fine. Second time this has happened where car accelerated instead of stopping.

- Kula, HI, USA

Jul 102013

CR-V 4-cyl

At 2 years, after 19,000 miles of normal Suburban driving, loud grating and clunking noises and repetitive vibrations came from the brakes when driving at a low speed [3-5 mph] and became louder when brakes applied. Dealer said rotors severely rusted and had to be replaced [oem] for $1,000. Said resurfacing could not be done due to severity of rust. 30 days later same thing happened. Again all four brake rotors were replaced [oem]. now 12 months later again have rusty brake rotors with harsh grating and clunking noises. Car is routinely parked in large garage in high-rise apartment building more than 99% of nights. This makes three full sets of four rotors after 19,000 miles. Dealer asks if I park in damp location, but the second floor garage is never damp and not near window. Dealer says he has no idea; maybe chinese use bogus materials. But these are Honda oem. Brake rotors should certainly last more than 19,000 miles [first episode] and three full sets should last more than 28,000 miles and 38 months. Brake rotors that rust so quickly when not abused and are so damaged that resurfacing is not even possible must surely be considered a significant safety issue. If the rotors become this thin this fast, the brakes may very well fracture during emergency braking.

- Needham, MA, USA

May 302012

CR-V 4-cyl

Car was at a full stop while waiting for the light to change to proceed and while my foot was on the brake the car jumped forward hitting the car in front of me causing damage. I contacted Honda in California and was advised they had complaints but not enough to warrant a recall on the situation. I do check to see if any recall has been issued. Car facts has many of similar complaints on file and nothing has been acknowledged yet.

- Bellerose, NY, USA

Jul 132012

CR-V 4-cyl

This is in reference to what we believe is a product defect in our 2011 Honda CR-V ex that has occurred two times to date. One occurrence was July 13. 2012 with my husband and I experienced the second while driving the car on May 23, 2013. Summary of the occurrences to date, almost identical in both cases: While going to park the car, the car accelerates dramatically while we were braking. The car would not stop until they hit something, I.e. our garage door and a concrete wall in a parking lot. On the first occurrence, we contacted both Honda and our insurance companies. After their inspection, the claimed there was nothing that they could find wrong with the car. We had no choice but to take the car back because it was leased and their trade proposition was cost prohibitive. We drove it and the second incident occurred. Now the car is parked and we do not know exactly what to do. If we take it to Honda, we are fearful that they will not acknowledge there is something wrong with the car or make another temporary adjustment to the car and we will again be in a similar situation while driving and cause serious injury to ourselves and/or others. We asked for legal advice only to be told if there is no injury they cannot do anything! please advise if there is any action we can take in regard to this serious problem.

- Astoria, NY, USA

Oct 242012

The car was in an indoor parking lot. Driver backed up out of its parking space at a low speed and bumped into a wall behind the parking spot. At that point, the car jumped into drive and began accelerating without driver doing anything. Driver applied the brake, but the car continued to accelerate and hit a cement pylon. The car bounced off the cement pylon and the car continued to accelerate forward, even though driver was applying the brake. The car hit the cement pylon again and then another car. The car only stopped when driver put it into park and turned it off.

- West Hartford, CT, USA

Jun 302012

CR-V 4-cyl

I was pulling out of parking spot in reverse in a crowded movie theater parking lot when my 2011 Honda CR-V accelerated at full speed into the cement pole behind me. Confused, I put the car in 'drive' to pull myself away from the pole, when the car once again accelerated at full speed forward toward the spot I was original in hitting and continually pushing a parked mini-van, which in turn pushed and kept pushing the parked car next to it. In an attempt to stop the car, I put the car in reverse and once again went in reverse, crashing into the same cement pole. Despite the fact that I bore down on the brakes repeatedly, the car did not stop until I put the car in 'park". immediately thereafter, I turned the car off. This all occurred in seconds and was terrifying...I had no control of the vehicle. Witnesses in the movie theater parking lot were stopped in their tracks hearing the loud roar of the engine.

- Staten Island , NY, USA