2012 Honda CR-V drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Honda CR-V:

2012 Honda CR-V Owner Comments

Aug 242016

CR-V

My wife pulled her 2012 Honda CR-V into a residential driveway, putting the car in park, leaving the engine running. She exited the car briefly then returned, opening the door to turn off the ignition. Standing outside the car but inside the open door on the driver's side, she reached in and switched off the ignition. The car started to roll backward, knocking her to the ground, and dragging her about 30 feet down the driveway and across the street. Car came to a stop when it hit the curb across the street. A fireman who arrived first on the scene verified the car was still in park. Wife was transported to the hospital by ambulance and suffered a broken shoulder, severe road rash injuries to her torso, and other bruises. The CR-V driver side door has damage, not being able to close properly, and has a piece of black plastic molding torn away from the lower section of the frame.

- Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Aug 132016

CR-V

The gear shift allows the car to be shifted from drive mode to neutral or "2" without pressing the gear release button. This created a safety hazard when driving and removing a bottled beverage and the gear shift was "bumped" while driving pushing the handle up to the neutral position while the vehicle was in motion at high speeds.

- Kirkland, WA, USA

Oct 012015

CR-V

On cold startups there is a grinding noise coming from the engine compartment which lasts for a few seconds. The grinding noise is heard usually after the car is left idle overnight & does not occur on an everyday basis. My mechanic identified it as the vtc actuator (cam} & should be taken care of before it shuts down the engine & then it becomes an expensive engine overhaul. I have taken it to the Honda service dept.(2 places) & told it must be verified to be replaced. The trouble is when I leave the car it doesn't happen, as I said it happens randomly. Honda knows of this problem (bulletin:09-010) but refuses to replace the part without verification. I believe it's unreasonable to leave my vehicle for a long length of time & go without transportation. I even recorded the sound & Honda won't accept that. My warranty is running out by the end of this year & I'm afraid this will not be addressed. My vehicle has 33340 miles on it, well below the 60000 mile of ending the warranty but the 5 year mark is approaching. I have read on the Honda CRV owners club (www.crvownersclub.com) site that the problem exists in many vehicles with the 2.4L engine. There is also a bulletin with an improved part to correct this but verification of each vehicle is necessary. Please help, I believe this is a safety condition as the car can shut down even while driving and the driver then has no control whatsoever of the vehicle. Https://www.youtube.com/watch?V=kr20baoxbo8

- Valley Stream, NY, USA

Sep 082015

CR-V

I bought a 2012 "Honda certified" CR-V ex with 34,000 miles on labor day. The next morning and a few mornings after that, the car made a loud grinding/rattling sound for a few seconds after the engine started. As the days have gotten colder, the noise occurs almost every time the car starts. I thought the car had a failing starter and brought it in for service. The dealer told me it isn't a starter issue but is caused by a vtc actuator in the engine. The device controls valve timing as the engine runs. The dealer tech rep even had a vtc (a small gear) on his desk which he showed me as we spoke. He assured me Honda is aware of the problem and "is working on it". well, it turns out Honda has been "working on it" since 2008. They issued service bulletin # 09-010 on October 21, 2011. The internet is filled with Honda owners of various years and models after 2011 complaining about Honda's lackadaisical attitude to this issue. Many have had replacement cvt's installed at their own expense only to have the problem return. The noise is caused when cold oil doesn't flow to the gear at start. The grinding is the sound of dry metal on metal. I am neither a mechanic nor engineer but I know a little about cars and engines. If a device that controls valve timing fails the engine can suddenly lose power or even seize up. I think this is an accident waiting to happen as these gears go through more starts without proper lubrication. I called Honda of America and filed a complaint with them. I also asked for a letter verifying that they know of the problem and would cover any engine repair caused by this issue under warranty. So far, there has been no response. I believe that Honda should recall the affected cars and make the repair before there is a serious rear end collision or other accident as a result of engine power failing at a critical time.

- Downers Grove, IL, USA

Jun 052015

CR-V

Loud metallic rattle noise on cold start-up. Honda dealer found Honda service bulletin 09-010 issued, but no fix for this problem has been issued to date.

- Santa Clara, CA, USA

Sep 142012

CR-V 4-cyl

This has occurred multiple times. I was driving, came to a stop and was unable to accelerate to 25 mph. The car hesitated upon acceleration and then suddenly accelerated. Normally when it occurs it has happened after a stop at a light, stop sign or corner. However, it has also happened while I've been on the highway, let off the gas and then attempted to accelerate. I brought it to my Honda dealer for repair and they cannot duplicate the circumstances. I reported it to Honda headquarters and they can do nothing if the dealer the can not find the problem and had no other complaints about this problem which seems unlikely. This is very scary and could lead to a collision.

- Whitestone, NY, USA

Jun 142012

CR-V 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2012 Honda CRV. The contact stated that he depressed the accelerator pedal but the vehicle hesitated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection but they could not determine the cause of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 10. Updated 05/19/14 MA the consumer stated that when pulling into traffic and depressing the accelerator the engine idles then suddenly launches forward. The failure occurs intermittently. A new throttle bore was installed but the failure recurred. Updated 05/28/2014

- Smithfield, VA, USA

May 012012

CR-V 4-cyl

Submission from constituent re 2012 Honda CR-V intermittent problem. The consumer stated the vehicle would pause, when she attempted to accelerate after the vehicle, had been idling. There was zero response for 3-4 seconds, then the vehicle would uncontrollably surge forward. The dealer was unable to duplicate the problem. The dealer informed the consumer, the problem was her using her left foot to brake. The problem has since been resolved. Updated 01/30/14

- Nampa, ID, USA

Jan 062014

CR-V 4-cyl

Cars AWD orange lights were on, on cold days (6th and 7th January, 2014, est). Outside temperature was between -5F to -10F (as indicated by cars dash). I do not have a garage. Felt cars front wheels were the only ones getting power. I don't think AWD was working.

- Cleveland, OH, USA

Aug 162012

CR-V 4-cyl

2012 Honda CRV makes a rear end hydraulic noise from the rear differential that has gotten progressively worse during the first year of ownership. The sound is made as the vehicle is coming to a stop and once again when the vehicle starts. It is a safety concern that had been reported to Honda in four separate instances begin when the vehicle had 2,497 and the last event was at 7,800.

- Lexington, KY, USA

Nov 212012

CR-V 4-cyl

Bought this car new about a month ago. The only problem I have been having is that at certain times, usually at slower speeds, when I step on the gas there is a 2-3 second delay before the car accelerates. During this hesitation period, the engine does not rev, and the car just coasts. This has happened 10-12 time this past month. This is very dangerous when I am trying to merge into faster moving traffic. I took my car to the dealer, but they could not duplicate the condition nor find anything wrong. They told me they reported the issue to Honda national.

- Makawao, HI, USA

Nov 162012

CR-V 4-cyl

I was driving on interstate 95 at 65 mph. I accidentally lightly bumped the gear shift and it changed from drive to neutral. My speed decreased abruptly/unexpectedly with vehicles traveling 70 mph and above behind and beside me. It took a few seconds to determine what was wrong with my car and why it was slowing down. Thank god no one was too close! this is a life threatening situation. The dealership in orange city, Florida, didn't know the answer but said that the other Honda CRV's do the same thing. There is a button on the side of the gear shift which I thought you must depress to change gears. From my experience, it is not necessary to use this button.

- Debary, FL, USA

Nov 012012

CR-V

2012 Honda CRV. Consumer writes in regards to vehicle gas pedal. The consumer stated, when he stepped on the accelerator pedal, the vehicle would bogged down. He would have to pump the accelerator pedal, in order to get the vehicle to move. The dealer was unable to find a problem.

- Eynon, PA, USA

Sep 022012

CR-V

Whenever I placed my car on parking an the E-brake if it was on a slope the car would keep going as if it was on drive or reverse. It happened a couple of times. I took it to the dealer and they said nothing was wrong. When I took it to another shop they saw that the brake pads were worn out already with barely a couple of miles from new.

- Vega Baja, PR, USA