2013 Honda CR-V brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Honda CR-V:

2013 Honda CR-V Owner Comments

Mar 302016

Twice when I tried to stop while moving slowly on the highway the car's brakes failed to do so. Once they went to the floor. Dealer could find nothing wrong.

- Suffolk, VA, USA

Feb 092016

The contact owns a 2013 Honda CR-V. while driving 28 mph and coming to a stop, the brakes failed and the vehicle would not stop. The contact had to downshift the vehicle in order to stop. This failure was a recurring issue. The vehicle was being repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 28,400.

- Mentor, OH, USA

Oct 142015

Went to 802 Honda berlin Vermont for 30,000mile service they informed me I needed rear brakes, I said repaire them.I have owned two otheir Honda CRV. An neaver replaced brakes before 45000 miles.$439.21.

- St.Johnsbury, VT, USA

Oct 012013

When I turn on engine for the first time without any 1-2 hour gap, I hear a cranky engine sound after the ignition. I found that it was a manufacturing defect in 2013 model. My close friend returned his Honda CRV after a year as it sounded loud in cold weather conditions of Montana. In my case it was not sounding everytime till now. I notified that to my car dealer when I took this vehicle from bob rohrman. These days it has become a daily routine, that sound is happening each time you ignite engine after a gap of say 1-2 hours. My brakes were always noisy since day one of the vehicle. It was also notified to the dealer however I was told it was due to wet conditions. However it is a regular thing. My car is just 7880 miles and well kept, why is the brake so noisy including another problem occurring in engine now. Please provide a resolution or I will have no choice but to request for refund.

- Arlington Heights, IL, USA

Sep 022014

The contact owns a 2013 Honda CR-V. when applying the brakes for the first time each day, a grinding noise emitted from the rear brakes and then the grinding noise would cease until the next day. The contact indicated that the failure eventually progressed to where the grinding noise was present the first three times the brakes were applied and then the noise would stop. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who diagnosed that the noise was caused by rust build up behind the rear rotors. The rotors were cleaned and the failure was solved. The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 13,900.

- Medina, OH, USA

Sep 012014

CR-V 4-cyl

Rear brakes started making a grinding noise when first time applied each morning. Slowly condition kept getting worse, but after no more than three applications of brakes, condition ceases for that day only to re appear the next day. I thought it might just be a cold weather condition. However, having just returned from southern Florida for six weeks with the condition continuing, I took it to the local Honda dealer upon my return on March 12, 2015. They told me this was a normal service condition caused by rust build up behind the rotors and needed to clean the brakes every 20,000 miles. I told them I have owned numerous cars in the last 60 years putting over 100 K miles on several and never heard of this condition. I have also contacted Honda corporation hotline and they would not confirm or deny this to be a service condition.

- Medina, OH, USA

Jan 052015

CR-V 4-cyl

I had left my office about 10 minutes prior to pulling into a shopping center and was driving about 5 mph in the parking lot, looking for a parking space. I saw one and slowed down even more to barely moving, and was easing into the parking space with my right foot on the brake. Just as the car stopped and I was getting ready to put it into park, the engine suddenly revved up and the car jumped the curb and hit a tree about 5 feet in front of the parking space at full force. It was like the accelerator had been pressed all the way to the floor. I was totally stunned. The entire front of the car was smashed in and radiator fluid was coming out of the bottom of the car. When this incident occurred, I was not talking on the phone; I was not drinking or eating anything in the car; I did not even have the radio turned on. I was not in an emotional state; I am not psychotic, homicidal, or suicidal. I had both hands on the steering wheel as I had just made a slow left turn into the parking space and was barely moving, with my foot on the brake. I have gone on the internet to research anything like this occurring with other Honda CRV's, and there are numerous incidences cited involving the 2011 and 2013 models. It happens in very cold weather (freezing or below), while the brake is engaged. It was in the low 30's at the time and my foot was on the brake. Luckily, the tree stopped my forward motion, or I would have ended up driving thru the plate glass window of the ups store. Other drivers have not been so lucky - some have been taken to the hospital, other cars involved, other people injured. I am absolutely terrified of driving this vehicle again.

- Celina, TX, USA

Dec 252014

When parking brake was not released, there was no brake light and no beeper sounds (according to the manual, I checked later).

- Walnut, CA, USA

Jun 262014

CR-V 4-cyl

Vehicle was 14 months old and was driven every 1-2 days. Vehicle had to be towed to dealership after a caliper "froze" to the right rear rotor after sitting overnight in the garage. Dealer reported that all four rotors were heavily oxidized and kept insisting that the car must have been sitting for many weeks or months. Dealer claimed there was nothing wrong with the brake pads and only resurfaced the rotors. Dealer repeatedly made false claim about Honda maintenance requirement that the rotors be cleaned every year.

- West Bend, WI, USA

Feb 142014

I don't even have a year with my car and the brakes keep squishing squiring I cant believe this is happening to a brand new car. I took it to the dealer and the resurface the front rotors and the noise was still there when I test the car after the service. I took it back and the resurface the back rotors and the noise went away for a while but now the noise is back I am going to take to the back to the dealer first weekend of May 2014. I am tired of this noise.

- Pembroke Pines , FL, USA

Feb 072014

CR-V 4-cyl

While driving on a snowy road, approximately 20 mph, I attempted to brake. Brake pedal would only push in part way and clicked loudly. Car did not respond at all to brake pedal being pushed. I tried repeatedly to press the brake pedal but was met with only very loud clicking, pedal did not appear to go in as far as normal and no response from car whatsoever by slowing down. Debated whether to push parking brake in or try putting car into lower gear when I braked yet again and finally car responded. Braking was obvious and immediate. I went back to the same stretch of road and attempted to recreate problem, but car clicked quietly and braked immediately. Am concerned that ABS system was fighting for control and therefore car did not brake at all. Roads were snowy and a bit slick, but not icy. This occurred over an area of about 100-150 ft.where I attempted repeatedly to brake and had no response whatsoever. I am scared to drive my car again in snowy weather. I have owned many vehicles, including those with ABS and have driven in the snow and have never had a car not respond at all. It was like the brakes were not engaging.

- Bellingham, WA, USA

Dec 232013

Taken to lancaster, ca Honda and they said front rotors have become warped/heated. Need to resurface rotors and clean and re-lube front brakes pads. Front brake pads at 7mm. Having under twenty thousand miles, was told this would cost me $120. I feel this has a defective braking system and should be taken care of by Honda, not charged to the customer.

- Rosamond, CA, USA

Apr 012013

CR-V 4-cyl

There is a knocking type of noise when braking, brought the car to dealership in roswell, ga could not duplicate the problem. The noise still occurring intermittently, no a good sign for a new car.

- Marietta, GA, USA

May 202013

CR-V 4-cyl

Car sat for 10 days, I returned vacation, cs knocking type of noise when braking. Brought it in to Honda dealership in everett, MA on June 6, 2013, tech - rust on rotors, needs to be driven. I still have the knocking sound. Rust on a 2013 Honda, parked for 10 days in may"??" I intend to drive it for 1 more week and bring it in again should this knocking type of noise persists when braking.

- Winthrop,, MA, USA

Jan 142013

CR-V 4-cyl

I was driving and all of the safety lights came on, on the dash board, antilock brakes, traction control, vehicle stability. This is the second time this has happened.the first time the left front ABS wheel speed sensor was replaced at the dealership. The car had less than 300 miles on it.the second time, with less than 3000 miles on it, all of the lights came on again on the dashboard and I had difficulty stopping the car. The brakes were very difficult to use, they seemed to get stuck and were making an awful racket.corrosion was found in wheel speed sensor connector harness side and the engine harness was replaced. I lost the use of the car for 14 days as the front of the car, grille, fender, steering wheel, dashboard and other parts has to be disassembled and the replacement parts were not available to the dealership.

- Plymouth, MA, USA