2017 Honda CR-V engine problems: high oil level with gas in oil

High Oil Level With Gas In Oil

2017 Honda CR-V (Page 1 of 4)

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Honda dealer.

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

CarComplaints.com Notes: It's rare when a newer vehicle has defect trends, & the 2017 Honda CR-V has at least two — overfilled oil levels with a gas smell, & heat not working.

Both problems affecting the Honda CR-V's 1.5L "Earth Dreams" engine appear to be related to cold-climate regions.

CR-V owners report overfilled oil levels due to fuel in the oil, & sometimes a gas smell in the cabin. That problem appears to be related to fuel injection which Honda hopes to fix via a software update. Honda so far has only conducted a recall in China & a "product update" in Canada.

CR-V owners also report no heat even after warming up their CR-Vs for 30 minutes — not even enough to defrost the windshield. So far, there has been no fix from Honda for this issue.

8.2

$50

2. no solution; Honda told me to check oil every 500 miles (13 reports)
  3. no solution!!! (10 reports)
  4. tech says nothing wrong (7 reports)
  5. change oil frequently (4 reports)
  6. replace ecu unit and oil change (2 reports)
2017 Honda CR-V engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2017 Honda CR-V:

2017 Honda CR-V Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Sep 012018

CR-V EX AWD 1.5L

After finding out about the gas in oil problem for CRVs, checked our 2017 and sure enough, excess fluid on dipstick, very black, smelly. Upon draining, smells far worse than any of 100s of oil changes I’ve done ove 50 years. Sent sample in to Blackstone Labs, gas over 4% of volume, way over average values, lowered viscosity, and higher flammability - at lower temperatures. Have complained via email to owner of selling dealership, Moss Honda in Moreno Valley Ca, no reply. Plan on continuing to pay for oil tests at labs to validate and substantiate my issue. Have read people being told to watch levels, change oil? Great ideas? Just keep changing the oil? Even for free it would be a pain. Supposedly being fixed in newer models, but this is my, 2017 1.5l turbo. Very concerned about resale, reliability, breakdowns, and mechanical damage due to reduced viscosity and flammability. Also there’s claims it’s a cold weather, infrequent use, low mileage trip problem. I live in hot Southern California, we drive frequently and many miles (24,000 in less than 2 years) and never take short trips, so it’s happening in hot climates too.

- Frank D., Highland, US

Jan 252019

CR-V EXL 1.5L Turbo

• CVT transmission

Checked oil at 1600 miles and it was way over full mark smelled like gas. Called dealer and they said there was an open recall on the vehicle and bring they would not admit it was for this problem. They did update and changed oil but not filter. Gas mileage has dropped since software update. I will be keeping a close eye on oil level now.

- Nick S., Park Rapids, US

Feb 062019

CR-V Touring 1.5L 4-cyl

• CVT transmission

I am the 2nd owner of a 2017 CRV Touring class which only had 27k miles. After owning it for only a few months I receive a product update letter from Honda regarding a needed software update and A/C control unit replaced. I wasn't experiencing any of the noticeable signs that other owners cited regarding gas smell or heater problems. However, I did have the shift button on the handle come off (cheap part!).

As I was enroute to the dealership to have my product update performed my car suddenly lost power from 65 mph on a busy highway dropping down to 25 mph with semi-trailers riding up on my bumper! A very frightening experience! I managed to eventually pull over and wait for roadside assistance. I had to be towed the rest of the way to the dealership! Fun time!

The dealer performed the update and I was feeling good about the fix until I started monitoring my oil levels and found the problem had persisted. Oil levels continue to be high! So the update didn't fix the problem! I am continuing to work with my dealer but to no avail!

This is a calculated measure that Honda is playing so they won't be subjected to Federal regulations if they did a recall. By just doing a product update they retain control but unfortunately they don't have a fix! They're kicking the can down the road! Shame on you Honda! Someone is going to get hurt or worse but they decide they would rather gamble and pay less legal costs in litigation than the expensive recall costs. They are rolling dice with our lives!

I filed complaints with the NHTSA and currently taking some lemon law recourse to return my CRV! This is my first and soon-to-be last Honda! Ridiculous!

Honda"s mission statement - “Maintaining a global viewpoint, we are dedicated to supplying products of the highest quality, yet at a reasonable price for worldwide customer satisfaction.”

...And they recalled over 400,000 CRVs & Civics in China!

- tscor, Fairfield, US

Jan 022019

CR-V LX 1.5L

When taking in with fuel in oil I was told normal. Then when pushing matter dealer Wilde Honda agreed there was problem but they are waiting on Honda to advise them . I have their service package on wife car so they do All maintenance on vechical. Had less than 1000 miles on previous oil change and dipstick level was over 1/2” over full level and smelled like gas. I demanded that oil be changed and after being told I’d have to pay for it . After arguing they finally agreed to change oil. I demanded that tech document oil level and how it smelled to which not done. Another issue is that they replaced battery 2 times in last 1 1/2 years and when asked what’s killing battery they couldn’t find anything. I’ve noticed that there’s something running under car after car has been shut off. It’s not all the time only on occasion and it’s a humming sound and it there for over 6 hrs. When asking dealer about this they said that there’s only 2 things under car that could be running the evap system or fuel pump. The evap system may run a minute or so after car shut down and it makes ticking noise. When asked about fuel pump I was told it makes humming sound. When asked again about that being possible issue with gas in oil I was told I didn’t know what I was talking about. I was told next time I hear noise I should take cell phone and put under car to record. It’s happened 3 times since Jan but didn’t have phone handy. I find it hard to believe that Honda recalls CRV’s in China but not here in US. I also that neither Honda Corp and dealerships aren’t all over the gas in oil for liability issues with it being 1of there best sellers. The only way China got are all was to get social media to get things done.LETs GET on HONDA

- John B., Wales, US

Nov 152018

CR-V EX 1.5L

• CVT transmission

After hearing about the recall I checked the oil level and sure enough it was substantially above the orange marker on the dip stick. My dealer applied the software fix provided by Honda and I will check very soon whether the oil level issue is still present.

Update from Mar 11, 2019: Oil level is still above normal and oil is quite dark at 2000 kms after oil change. Has anyone else seen this condition?

Car is still slow to warm up and heat indicator seems to stick at half way and then move up to normal quite fast.

- Mj H., Calgary, AB, Canada

Nov 012018

CR-V EX Turbo

• CVT transmission

Engine oil level is more than a quarter inch above the orange bar and smells strong gasoline on it.

- Shine S., Ithaca, NY, US

Nov 162018

• CVT transmission

Dipstick smells like gas. Take it to the dealer they change the oil and state that Honda has not given them a fix. Call Honda got a case number but no solution from them either. Problems from this issue of oil dilution will probably not show up until warranty is over. Honda needs to step up and get the fix out to us in Kansas (according to them not a cold weather state) too.

- Peggy M., Shawnee Mission, KS, US

Nov 212018

CR-V EX-L 1.5L Turbo

This seems to be a widespread issue for the Honda CRV 1.5L Turbo (2017-2019) that Honda has not fixed. The dealership acts like this is normal for this engine but I don't think it's normal to have your engine oil level far above the max smelling of gasoline. They say it only effects engines in cold climates but I live in Phoenix, AZ.

- David B., Phoenix, AZ, US

Nov 282018

CR-V LX 1.5L T

• CVT transmission

Yesterday i checked the oil level which was higher than normal and also it was smelling crazy gas.

I do not have heating system issue since i never warm-up the engine in idle which is not a good practice at all.

OK, i went to the Honda dealership today to replace the tires with Winter tires , and also the software update. Honda Canada sail they will change the ECU unit and air conditioning control unit and also they will change the oil.

I think this is what they are doing; they will change the heating system control unit to let the engine warm-up very soon and then this will burn the vapor of the gas in a shorter time , this means that there is no fix for this issue at the of the way because they can never change the nature of the direct-injection engine.

- S N., Montreal, QC, Canada

Nov 262018

CR-V Touring 1.5L Turbo

• CVT transmission

click to see larger images

high oil level with gas in oil high oil level with gas in oil

June 2017 bought new 2017 CR-V from Honda Dealer.

Jan 2018 vehicle had 3970 miles so brought it to same dealer for 1st oil and filter change. No apparent issues.

Nov 2018 vehicle had 8046 miles and Maintenance-minder indicated only 15% oil life remaining so I scheduled an oil & filter change at same dealer.

Before the appointment I checked oil dipstick and it was way over the maximum mark (pictures attached) and smelled heavily of gasoline. Owners manual says never over-fill can cause engine damage. The only fill ever was done by the dealer at the1st oil change in Jan 2018.

I related the gas smell of the dipstick to gas fumes my wife and I detected in the cabin at times. At that time I researched online and discovered there was an oil-dilution issue that was being investigated by Honda for this issue but no solution yet. I reported this situation to the service department when I brought in for the 2nd oil change but they couldn't offer a solution as well so took my info and said all we can do is wait for Honda to announce a solution.

Meanwhile it is not known if there is engine damage occurring due to the overfull engine oil level and mix of gasoline in the engine oil.

- bob.right, Shelton, US

Nov 282018

CR-V Touring 1.5L Turbo

• CVT transmission

While looking for 2019 Honda CR-V colors, I stumbled upon a video on the 2017-2018 CR-Vs from a young man detailing the Oil Dilution issue causing the Oil Level to exceed the Maximum limit AND the definitive smell of gasoline in the Oil (via the Oil dipstick). I began to read where this was an issue with epidemic proportions. This "mixing" is causing premature Engine wear and worse for many drivers. My experience has been limited as the majority of my driving is mostly 80 mile drives in the Spring and Summer and I have not had any stalling issues yet. Upon the recommendation of the young man in the video, I checked my Oil which had been changed in Aug 2018 with only 500 miles and 80% Oil level showing to use. BINGO! The Oil absolutely smelled of gasoline and the level was above the Orange area of the dipstick I took my CR-V into my usual Dealership that does my service and the mechanic and service manager agreed that there was gasoline present in the oil and an Oil change was recommended and I was not charged. The manager indicated that Honda hasn't "officially" given them a SOP to deal with the issue until the fix is distributed to dealerships across the US. Latest information indicates that the "fix', which is to include to new software for the engine and transmission control units with an oil change, are being distributed in the most northern states (MN, WI, ND, SD & ME) in December. Other more northern states will follow in the following two months. I am fortunate in that our family has a second car and I won't need to drive the CR-V until the "fix" is available. CERTAINLY NOT great having to put your new car on "ice" while HONDA makes US wait!

- phillyfire, Warminster, US

Jan 012018

CR-V EX 1.5L

• CVT transmission

The oil smell is very strong. I have to change the oil very frequently. After I changed the oil, two days later, I notice that oil level become above the max limit mark and the oil become black very soon in less than 1000 miles. It seems there are also some debris inside. Honda should really fix this problem as soon as possible instead of try to ask the customer change driving behavior and change oil. This is my first car, overall I like its feature but it's very sad with such an annoying problem and disappointed about Honda since they did not come any way to fix it after discovering the problem for such a long time.

- Yuqing X., Fort Lee, US

Jan 022019

CR-V EX L 1.5L Turbo

• CVT transmission

Oil level was more than half a quart over capacity and smelled strongly of gas. Had oil changed at Honda dealer only 180 miles ago. Was told this was not unusual and not to worry. I think it is a serious problem and reported it to Honda of America and opened a case for further review.

The dealer changed the oil and just told me to keep checking the oil level. Not very satisfactory to me.

Update from Jan 19, 2019: After filling the gas and checking the oil after 241 miles since last dealer oil change the oil level on dipstick is creeping up again over high mark and is smelling of gas again.

I have also noticed smell of gas inside cabin while excelerating.

- Bartow B., Virginia Beach, US

Mar 012018

CR-V EX

I bought my CRV in 2017. Only one week, my car stalled on the highway. I had to take it back to dealer. They did not want to pay tow fee. It's ridiculous. After they fixed my car, I asked what was wrong, they said nothing. One more month later, the gas mixes with the oil. It's terrible. Honda still tells me there is nothing wrong with it. Honda won't admit it's a problem.

- Tommy L., Flushing, NY, US

Dec 072018

• CVT transmission

Oil sample submitted to Blackstone, 12/18, showed fuel concentration at 4.8% with a flashpoint of 290 degrees. I have contacted Honda dealership twice but no response. Oil has been changed twice on schedule at dealership, July and December. No problems with engine heating up or gasoline smell in cabin. Gasoline odor detected by smelling dipstick with oil level elevated approximately 1/4 to 1/2 inch above full mark. Car is located in Virginia and not one of the states where Honda is providing a fix (reprogramming computer and changing out air conditioning control unit).

- Mike J., Newport News, US

Oct 252018

CR-V LX 1.5L

• CVT transmission

SOLVED THE PROBLEM. 6000 MILES ON AN ENGINE AND DRIVING IT 6 MILES TO THE DEALER WITH A CRANKCASE FULL OF FUEL, IS LIKE PUTTING 60,000 MILES ON THE ENGINE. SO I TRADED IT FOR A 2018 RAV4. PROBLEM SOLVED.

- Richard F., Lebanon, PA, US

Nov 162018

• CVT transmission

I discovered fuel in the oil of my 2017 turbo Honda CR-V when checking the oil level. I have approximately 2500 miles since my last oil change. I took the care to Beaverton Honda on 11/16/2018 to check it out. They "verified customers concerns of fuel in engine oil". They also "adjusted oil level" and then referred me to a Honda video On YouTube. It would appear that they simply removed good oil to make room for more gas in the oil. This is unacceptable and dangerous. Apparently Honda does not have a fix for this issue.

This is a serious problem that requires a recall. I have filed a complaint on NHTSA.com and encourage all other owners to check their oil and file a complaint if you discover this same problem.

- Michael B., Portland, US

Nov 192018

CR-V EX - L 1.5L

• CVT transmission

I bought a used 2017 Honda CR-V last week and read about the high level oil problem and gas smell and didn't really want to check to see if mine had it as well, but I thought it's something I should check. It does. I'm also in warm sunny SoCal and don't have many short trips at all. It got great gas mileage out to the desert and back. The car is great, so I'm going to stick with it, but I checked it yesterday and the oil level was half an inch too high and smelled of gas. So, this isn't just a cold market problem. Honda needs to step it up. I'm not a car expert, but I'm pretty sure gas isn't a good engine lubricant. And the dealer changed the oil just a couple weeks before I bought it, so the oil is still quite new.

- Mike M., Mission Viejo, CA, US

Mar 012018

CR-V Touring 1.5L

• CVT transmission

I've owned 13 Hondas so far in my life. This may be the last one based on how poorly Honda is handling it.

Update from Jan 27, 2019: Recall work has been done. No change in problem whatsoever.

- Aaron L., Jackson, WI, US

Sep 032018

CR-V EX-L 1.5t

After reading about this problem on carcomplaints.com and CRVForums, I checked my vehicle and sure enough, the oil smelled like 87 octane gasoline. I had minimal oil overfill, less than 1/4 inch on the dipstick, but the gasoline smell was very strong. I try to never take drives without warming my vehicles thoroughly and live in SoCal, so I'm probably on the lesser end of the problem with gasoline accumulation.

I talked to the service rep at my dealership and she had never heard of this problem, but another service rep overheard our conversation and acknowledged he talked to another customer with the problem. They had nothing from Honda to deal with this problem. I've read Honda's plan to deal with the problem in Canada and seven northern US states, but no help published for the rest of the US.

Honda knows this is a big deal (China banned sales of CR-Vs until this is fixed), but sadly, they know there is no one in the US government with cajones big enough to force a fix for all buyers of the Civics and CR-Vs with the 1.5T engine. I'm very suspect Honda's fix to change the direct injection and CVT such that it will stop fuel from bypassing the rings and diluting the oil.

I've had it with Honda over issues from missing standard equipment on my new vehicle (refused to provide it), CVT surging at half throttle or higher, CVT causing a stumble when leaving a stop. Now an oil dilution issue with so many cars? This is all normal according to Honda. First and last Honda for me.

- Larry S., Apple Valley, CA, US