CarComplaints.com Notes: The last model year of the 6th generation Civic (1996-2000) and, subsequently, the last model year before the popular car was overrun with transmission problems.

1. replace radiator (1 reports)
2000 Honda Civic cooling system problems

cooling system problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2000 Honda Civic:

2000 Honda Civic Owner Comments

Jul 252006

Civic LX 1.6L

I bought my Civic LX 2000 new and going into 2006 the radiator went out. The car only had 40K miles by that time. One day I noticed while I was driving on highway the temp was going almost 3/4 uo the red zone. It was July and over 90F temp outside, I turned on the fan (NOT AC) to blow some air circulated. It helped a bit and was able to manage drive additional 40 + miles to get home. I took my car to my mechanic and explained exactly what happened. They kept my car for 2 days and worked on it while I had to borrow a car from my boss. When they called me and told me that my car was fixed and ready for pick up I thought 'good grief...' They charged me a few hundred dollars for it. But I noticed as I drove away from the mechanic shop, the temp was still pointing higher than it normally should have been. I went back and told them just that but the mechanic then said I would had to take it to the dealer which I did on the same day.

Honda told me that the right side of radiator was completely gone and needed to be replaced. The car only had 40k miles and it was just passing 6 years of age since I bought it new. This was my 3rd Honda ( 2 Civis and a Prerude) and had owned Toyota and Nissan before but never experienced a radiator goes out after only 40K miles.

I never thought that Honda was bad at all and they do make good cars but I absolutely think that Hondas in the US are totally over-rated and over-priced especially used ones. I see numerous problem with transmission on newer models of Civic and Accord, I am hesitant to buy another Honda now.

- , Atlanta, GA, USA