Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The last model year of the 6th generation Civic (1996-2000) and, subsequently, the last model year before the popular car was overrun with transmission problems.

2000 Honda Civic transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2000 Honda Civic:

2000 Honda Civic Owner Comments

Jun 092009

Civic LX 1.6L

Bought the car in 2005 from a dealer. Five months later the A/C compressor blew up with the clutch flying off across the street. Had it replaced for free under warranty, then the tranny went berserk after coming home from a 3.5hr drive. Check engine light illuminated and D4 light on gear instrument lighting blinking with no end. Did the trouble codes, changed the component as was said to be and the stupid thing gave the same problem, D4 blinking with CEL on. Went over to Honda dealer where I bought the car with the problem and just asking for a wire diagram for the tranny. Just a stupid wire diagram and what did that moron mechanic say? "My best solution is to bring in your car so we can look at it." I'm like "WTF??? Did you even know what I was talking about?" So the mechanic said, "what you just explained is way beyond my knowledge, you're just going to have to bring it in." My last words for the dealer, "how the hell they hire your a$$ if you know nothing about cars, all I ask from you is a wire diagram. Your company is full of horseshit." I walked away upset. Next day, I routed the wires from the tranny to the PCM and found a burned wire along with a mess up PCM. A buddy of mine who works for another dealer said Honda had a recalled list for tranny over 175000miles. Called another Honda dealer from another city about the recall, complaint about it, they changed it and everything went well.

- , Merced, CA, USA

Jun 012001

Civic HX 1.4L

The rev is fine but when I am in second gear and going up a hill, it felt like no power at all

- , Stratford, CT, USA