CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2001 Civic has transmission problems, transmission problems & more transmission problems. Did we mention transmission problems? And a dangerous defect with the front airbag that didn't get recalled for 10 years.

Although eventually the defective 2001 Civic airbag inflators were fixed under recalls in 2011 & 2013, that meant for 10 to 12 years airbags were activating with excessive force where metal fragments went shooting into passengers when the airbag deployed.

As for the 2001 Civic's transmission woes? Honda conducted a major transmission recall in 2004 & settled a class action lawsuit for defective transmissions in 2006. But, neither the recall or the lawsuit included the 2001 Civic.

Last thing to consider - the 2001 Civic is the most-recalled car ever, closely followed by the 2002 Civic & the 2001 Accord. The 2001 Civic is the 4th most-recalled vehicle overall, only a Ford truck & two Ford vans have more.

4.1

1. glued it back on myself (7 reports)
  3. pay to have it fixed (3 reports)
  4. replaced door panels (1 reports)
  5. use Weldbond glue to repair it (1 reports)
2001 Honda Civic accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Honda Civic:

2001 Honda Civic Owner Comments

Nov 012007

Civic DX 1.7L

At first it was unsightly bubbling... then it started to peel off. I glued the fabric panels back into place and have had to do so 3 times in the years since.

- , Edmonton, AB, Canada

May 012012

Civic EX 3.2L

It is a shame to have such a cheap looking interior in an otherwise wonderful car.

- , Paramus, NJ, USA

Jan 302012

Civic

This has fallen off twice. The first time I glued it myself and most recently, I noticed it was fixed after having my car into the dealership.

- , Kingston, ON, Canada

Mar 012011

Civic LX Coupe 1.7L I-4

The entire drivers side door panel detached along the bottom one day when shutting the door I did not pull it hard or anything just ripped off on the bottom corner it has stayed on but wiggles around alot when opening and closing the door.

- , East Syracuse, NY, USA

Aug 012004

Civic LX

Fabric has fallen off both doors. Tried using car spray adhesive to glue it back on, but it was only a temporary measure, and is falling off again. Looks horrible. Tempted to just tear it off and leave it as is...but that doesn't look too good either.

- , Boca Raton, FL, USA

Aug 152007

Civic DX 1.7L Sohc

I bought some glue at the autoparts store. The fabric doesn't look factory installed, but it looks better.

- , Urbandale, IA, USA

Sep 012006

Civic Sedan 1.7L

Honda most likley used EPA friendly latex glue, so its not all hondas fault :)

- , Brightwood, OR, USA

Jun 012004

Civic DX

i tried to fix this myself, but there really wasn't enough material to tuck in.

- , Glace Bay, Nova Scotia, Canada

Feb 052003

Civic LX Non Vtec I4

Yup, have this problem too. Very minimal effort by Honda, only enough to get it off the show room floor. This seriously happened right away, probably a year or two after the car was purchased. At some point i considered covering it with slightly nice material such as a light suede or alacantra micro suede. But, just adjusting it every now and then satisfies me. Least of my worries right now regarding this car but it bothered me when the car was new. Also have a '94 DX coupe that I can't help but compare to this. That car has never had a problem period, 160k miles. '04 CR-V in the family is similar in quality the Civic.

- , Chicago, IL, USA

Dec 052005

Civic EX

The door fabric continually falls off of my left passenger's door. I periodically glue it but it always come off again. Honda, I wish you had taken more time / effort into using and applying strong glue!

- , Odenton, MD, USA

Jul 282006

Civic LX

No big problem.. Just looked ugly. Dealer replaced the front door panels and broke one during the isntallation. I had to bring it back again for them to replace the panel again. I should've asked them to replace the rear doors too while it was still under warranty because they're starting to lose their upholstery now as well.

- , Kanata, Ontario, Canada

Sep 032006

Civic DX

I had use a auto glue to stick it back on and it didn't look good at all. It look like a 7 year old worked on my car.

- , Hacienda Heights, CA, USA

Sep 072006

Civic DX

Poor interior finish, we dont carry pets or tons of kids yet finish is always falling off. Weldbond glue works good in case anyone else is having the same problem. Worst car I have ever owned (from new)

- , Springhill, NS, Canada

Jul 172006

Civic DX

Upholstery coming away from driver's door.

- , Brooklyn, NS, Canada

Jul 062006

Civic DX

The upholstry fell off all the doors. I got them to fix it once and when I asked about it the second time, they told me to go to another person, that they couldn't do anything!

- , Saint John, NB, Canada