CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2001 Civic has transmission problems, transmission problems & more transmission problems. Did we mention transmission problems? And a dangerous defect with the front airbag that didn't get recalled for 10 years.

Although eventually the defective 2001 Civic airbag inflators were fixed under recalls in 2011 & 2013, that meant for 10 to 12 years airbags were activating with excessive force where metal fragments went shooting into passengers when the airbag deployed.

As for the 2001 Civic's transmission woes? Honda conducted a major transmission recall in 2004 & settled a class action lawsuit for defective transmissions in 2006. But, neither the recall or the lawsuit included the 2001 Civic.

Last thing to consider - the 2001 Civic is the most-recalled car ever, closely followed by the 2002 Civic & the 2001 Accord. The 2001 Civic is the 4th most-recalled vehicle overall, only a Ford truck & two Ford vans have more.

8.0

1. replace master (main) switch (2 reports)
2001 Honda Civic electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Honda Civic:

2001 Honda Civic Owner Comments

Jun 202008

Civic

Smoke poured out of my driver's side door for no reason. Master switch failed and the passenger front window quit working. Thanks Honda

- , Monterey Park, CA, USA

Jul 162007

Civic LX Non Vtec I4

The problem was that I wasn't able to open the front passengers side window either from my (the main) control or the passenger control. According to people that had similar problems it was caused by water entering the main switch. Most likely to occur to smokers that drive with the window cracked regardless of weather. I guess it seemed reasonable to me. I don't remember why I had Honda fix it instead of doing it myself and saving a ton of money. They really, really ripped me off on this one, not to mention they took apart my passenger door after I told them I knew what the problem was. I even asked them to test the main switch first in an effort to avoid taking apart my passenger door. I used to regret not going with the sunroof but am now glad I didn't as it would have probably broken by now. I would like the armrest though....damn car giving me back problems.

- , Chicago, Illinois, USA

Aug 182007

Civic EX 1.5L

Had the master power window switch replaced only for the problems to continue and for me to spend more money on it. This really sucks

- , Chicago, IL, USA