CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2001 Civic has transmission problems, transmission problems & more transmission problems. Did we mention transmission problems? And a dangerous defect with the front airbag that didn't get recalled for 10 years.

Although eventually the defective 2001 Civic airbag inflators were fixed under recalls in 2011 & 2013, that meant for 10 to 12 years airbags were activating with excessive force where metal fragments went shooting into passengers when the airbag deployed.

As for the 2001 Civic's transmission woes? Honda conducted a major transmission recall in 2004 & settled a class action lawsuit for defective transmissions in 2006. But, neither the recall or the lawsuit included the 2001 Civic.

Last thing to consider - the 2001 Civic is the most-recalled car ever, closely followed by the 2002 Civic & the 2001 Accord. The 2001 Civic is the 4th most-recalled vehicle overall, only a Ford truck & two Ford vans have more.

8.0

1. replace computer (2 reports)
2001 Honda Civic engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Honda Civic:

2001 Honda Civic Owner Comments

Apr 282009

Civic LX 1.7L

loss of power when accelerating, coolant gauge and rpm tach quit working, backfire when you try to go over a certian rpm happened twice in a month

- , Tega Cay, SC, USA

Jul 062006

Civic DX

Within 10 days the engine control module (ECU/ECM) computer failed twice! And then they tried to blame it on me. Saying that I had put supreme gasoline in it and that it only took regular. I was a student at the time! Like I could afford supreme gas!!!!

- , Saint John, NB, Canada