CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2001 Civic has transmission problems, transmission problems & more transmission problems. Did we mention transmission problems? And a dangerous defect with the front airbag that didn't get recalled for 10 years.

Although eventually the defective 2001 Civic airbag inflators were fixed under recalls in 2011 & 2013, that meant for 10 to 12 years airbags were activating with excessive force where metal fragments went shooting into passengers when the airbag deployed.

As for the 2001 Civic's transmission woes? Honda conducted a major transmission recall in 2004 & settled a class action lawsuit for defective transmissions in 2006. But, neither the recall or the lawsuit included the 2001 Civic.

Last thing to consider - the 2001 Civic is the most-recalled car ever, closely followed by the 2002 Civic & the 2001 Accord. The 2001 Civic is the 4th most-recalled vehicle overall, only a Ford truck & two Ford vans have more.

2001 Honda Civic lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Honda Civic:

2001 Honda Civic Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Jan 302009

Civic

Left front headlight first failed on 01/30/2009. Electrical wiring to front low beam headlight overheated causing melting of headlight connector to electrical harnesst.. a succession of another 4 headlight connectors have melted between O8/08/2009 to December 14, 2010. First 4 headlight connector replacements completed by Honda dealer. Prior to Jan 30th 2009 headlight connector failure, a different Honda dealer completed NHTSA 304V86000 recall work for headlight electrical overheating recall in 2006 during regular maintenance appointment. Failure #5 happened on dec14, 2010 just 6 days after melted connector #4 was replaced on December 8th 2010. Dealer found cruise control unit inoperable due to electrical melt down. Original air conditioner compressor replaced in 2009 due to melt down. Safety and possible fire hazard due to chronic overheating of original electrical harness & multi-plex unit. Honda dealer unable solve problem of repeated melting headlight connectors. All connectors are Honda dealer parts. Total of 4 left headlight connectors and 1 right headlight connector have melted. 5th melted headlight connector has not been replaced. Using the high-beams to drive at night since 4 previous Honda dealer replacement connectors have melted. Time intervals between connector failure keeps getting shorter and shorter. Due to chronic unsolved electrical overheating problem, the safety of electrical system is compromised.

- Lomita, CA, USA

May 052010

Civic

2001 Honda Civic dx manual 4 door sedan all of a sudden, my headline low beam lights without any incident. My high beam headlights are working just fine. I was not in an accident or anything like that. Normal driving lead to this. When I called my Honda dealer, he checked VIN number and said that there are no headline recalls for my vehicle. He asked me to bring the vehicle and he will repair it with normal diagnostic and repairs. I was not impressed about this there is a recall similar to the problem I am having but not to my car. Here is the recall information. Electrical & lights: Exterior lighting:headlights campaign number: 04V086000 dates manufactured: 03/2000 to 08/2001 number of vehicles affected: 440,000 model years affected: 2001, 2002 date owner notified: 04/2004 defect summary: On certain passenger vehicles, the low-beam terminal on the head light wire harness can overheat and could cause the low beams to fail without warning. Consequence summary: An unexpected loss of low beams could result in a crash. Corrective summary: Dealers will inspect the head light switch and coupler for signs of heat damage. If heat damage is present, the dealer will replace the switch and coupler. If no heat damage is present, the dealer will replace the head light switch and one mating pin in the coupler. Owner notification began on April 5, 2004. Owners should contact Honda at 1-800-999-1009. Recall notes: Customers can also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's auto safety hotline at 1-888-dash-2-dot (1-888-327-4236).

- Vienna, WV, USA

Apr 102010

Civic

Low beam headlight fail frequently. There is a recall on that year car but not on my VIN so the dealer is refusing to repair.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Jan 012005

Civic

I too have noticed the gradual 'frosting' of the plastic housing of my front headlights. It became noticeable about 4 or 5 years after I bought my '01 Civic. It definitely diminishes effectiveness of the beams. I was about to replace them - they are hugely expensive. I am glad they might be recalled.

- Hamilton, 00, USA

Dec 182009

Civic

The failure I am concerned with has to do with the head light module. The plastic/glass that covers and protects the light will in time appear frosted. This frosting greatly reduces nighttime visibility. When I worked in the auto repair industry I witnessed it often. I owned a Chevrolet prism that had this defect and now own a 2001 Honda Civic that has the problem. The replacement cost of the modules is enormous. These headlights should last as long as the car.

- Bethlehem, NH, USA

May 012009

Civic

Low beam of the head light for Honda Civic 2001 LX failed without any notice.

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Apr 092009

Civic

Recently, both our headlights suddenly quit working. We checked the bulbs and fuses and all were ok. We checked online for possible causes for this and quickly discovered there is a Honda safety recall on the headlight switch that alleviated just exactly the problem we were having. We called the Honda dealership locally and they looked up our VIN number and said we had already had that safety issue serviced. We had forgotten. We asked them what could be done because obviously whatever was supposed to have been fixed in the recall servicing wasn't. they said they would not help us. Any further servicing would be at our expense. Since we had to have headlights immediately and did not trust the Honda dealership, we took the car to our private Honda certified mechanic (they only service Honda's.. exclusively). He fixed the part and explained to us that the original safety recall problem had never been touched during our supposed recall servicing with Honda. He said in the recall servicing, a headlight switch wire that was too small of a gauge was supposed to be replaced by a much heavier gauge wire. Our car still had the original small gauge factory wire installed which not only was melted through but had also caused the light switch to melt. He replaced all parts for a charge of $117.95 which was much cheaper than what the Honda dealership would have charged us. He gave us our melted parts as evidence to present to the Honda corporation. He informed us that this is exactly what happens with cars who have never had the safety recall servicing at all. We have reported all this back to the Honda corporation but although they have given us a case number, they have failed to help us at all. We would like to know if there is anything whatsoever that can be done. Our case number with the Honda corporation is N032009-04-1500182.

- Knoxville, TN, USA

Nov 122003

Civic

Problems with vehicle's radio and SRS light. (nar)

- Pittsburg, CA, USA

Jan 152002

Civic 4-cyl

The air bag light illuminated on the dash board, the dealer replaced the part, however the light illuminated again. The occupancy position detector system was replaced, the rear defroster and cruise control was inoperative, there was a loud clunk noise while driving and on turns, the radio was inoperative, the back window was replaced along with the antenna, the fog light switch was loose, the brake light had gone out, there was a rattle in the rear seat, the fuel cap was loose, there was a vibration in the steering wheel, and the trunk lid did not close. Scc

- Robbinsville, NJ, USA