Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2001 Civic has transmission problems, transmission problems & more transmission problems. Did we mention transmission problems? And a dangerous defect with the front airbag that didn't get recalled for 10 years.

Although eventually the defective 2001 Civic airbag inflators were fixed under recalls in 2011 & 2013, that meant for 10 to 12 years airbags were activating with excessive force where metal fragments went shooting into passengers when the airbag deployed.

As for the 2001 Civic's transmission woes? Honda conducted a major transmission recall in 2004 & settled a class action lawsuit for defective transmissions in 2006. But, neither the recall or the lawsuit included the 2001 Civic.

Last thing to consider - the 2001 Civic is the most-recalled car ever, closely followed by the 2002 Civic & the 2001 Accord. The 2001 Civic is the 4th most-recalled vehicle overall, only a Ford truck & two Ford vans have more.

2001 Honda Civic seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Honda Civic:

2001 Honda Civic Owner Comments (Page 2 of 8)

May 312015

The contact owns a 2001 Honda Civic. After the contact removed his foot from the brake pedal, the vehicle suddenly accelerated. The driver lost control of the vehicle, crashed into the rear of a second vehicle, and drove through a wired fence. The air bags failed to deploy. The driver suffered an injured neck and back that did not require medical attention. The cause of the failure was not diagnosed. A police report was filed. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 151,000.

- Valley Stream, NY, USA

Mar 232015

I took my car in for service to my local dealership on 3/23/15, which I booked online. I was able to book my recall service for the airbag inflater online as well, which no issues. I was asked when I brought in the car if I had called to order parts, I had not as there was no indication when I booked that I needed to do so. I was simply told parts would be ordered for me and they would let me know when they were in. After two weeks I called the dealership to inquire on my ordered parts, I was told parts can take "2 to 3 days or one to two months" to get in due to a backlog. I contacted Honda via social media and was told that someone would be in touch with me. Two weeks later I still have yet to receive parts, hear from my local dealership or hear from anyone in Honda's customer service department. My initial recall notice indicates this is a potentially life-threatening, dangerous issue that needs to be addressed, and yet despite my best efforts I am still stuck with faulty parts and no timeline for repairs. A two month wait for parts in a dangerous recall is irresponsible and potentially leaves me liable in the event of an accident involving these parts as I have been notified of their danger but otherwise unable to replace them.

- Felton, CA, USA

Nov 162014

The contact owns a 2001 Honda Civic. After starting the vehicle, the SRS warning light remained illuminated. The failure occurred while the vehicle was in operation. The VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V700000 (air bags). The vehicle was repaired; however, after the remedy was performed, the failure persisted. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Woodruff, SC, USA

Nov 142013

Civic 4-cyl

We are filing a vehicle safety complaint against american Honda company/takata for their defective airbags in the 2001 Honda Civic car. We made contact with american Honda company last year about the severe injuries that the deployed airbag caused to my wife and they are not taking any responsibility for their defective product. On 11/14/2013, a negligent driver caused a serious accident that put my wife's life in grave danger. My wife was wearing her seat belt and airbags were deployed. My wife immediately felt pain in her entire body and couldn't move. Police and paramedics were called and she was taken to the hospital for treatment. Upon medical examination it was determined that she had a thoracic burst fracture at T12 and a T11 compression fracture, fracture to R lamina and pars of T12 as well. She had a rib fracture and pulmonary contusion. These were life-threatening injuries. She needed to have immediate spinal Fusion surgery for the T10-L2 area of her spine. We filed a complaint with american Honda company and provided documents through faxes and email and each time they said they did not receive our documents. They consistently said they did not receive our documents, although we have fax confirmation and email showing that documents were sent successfully to american Honda. Then on 1/21/2015 marion cooley from american Honda company called and said they cannot provide my wife with compensation for her medical injuries. It didn't seem like american Honda company did any investigation and they were not willing to accommodate us. My wife has to live with permanent limitations due to the spinal injuries from that accident for the rest of her life. My wife can no longer conduct herself as the same person before the accident occurred. American Honda company/takata needs to take responsibility for the injuries that the airbag caused....updated 02-03-15

- Stone Mountain, GA, USA

Nov 102014

Civic 4-cyl

The SRS light has been on in my vehicle for some time. I took in the vehicle to the dealer (metro Honda, jersey city, NJ) for the airbag inflator recall, but after I left, the light was still on. On my next visit I inquired about this, and the dealer told me I need a new SRS system, at a cost of $730+ and that Honda will not cover the cost. And, until I fix the SRS system, the airbags will not deploy. I called Honda on November 10, 2014, and they confirmed that I will have to pay for this out of pocket as there has been no recall issued. So, now I am driving around in a vehicle with airbags that will not deploy in the event of a crash.

- Hoboken, NJ, USA

Sep 302011

The contact owns a 2001 Honda Civic. The contact stated that the air bag warning light illuminated after the vehicle was serviced under NHTSA campaign number: 11V260000 (air bags). The contact mentioned that prior to the recall repair there was no failure experienced. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, who diagnosed that the front driver air bag sensor failed. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V351000 (air bags) and NHTSA campaign number: 13V132000 (air bags) however, was concerned that the remedies would fail to repair the vehicle. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 111,463.

- Rio Grande , PR, USA

May 142005

Civic 4-cyl

My mother was stopped and waiting to make a left-handed turn into her neighborhood when she was rear ended and sent into oncoming traffic. Her airbag deployed and she survived long enough to talk to my dad and tell him she had pain in her chest. She died on the way to the hospital and the cause of death was a ruptured aorta which was from the deployment of the airbag. She was 64 years old and was stopped making a simple turn into her neighborhood. I know it was the airbag that killed her, especially now that I know they have recalled the make and model of her Honda Civic due to faulty airbags.

- Allen, TX, USA

Oct 292014

Civic 4-cyl

I am the original owner. SRS sensor is on. Thousands of 2001 Honda Civic SRS sensors have been recalled. My VIN is not on the list. It needs to be added.

- Bensalem, PA, USA

Jul 072014

Civic 4-cyl

Airbag exploded upon impact causing shrapnel to strike the vehicle driver. Complaint is filed on behalf of alleged victim.

- Weston, FL, USA

Sep 302014

The contact owns a 2001 Honda Civic. The contact stated that while at a stop light, another vehicle crashed into the rear of the vehicle. The passenger's side air bag was the only air bag to deploy. The contact also stated that the driver's side seat adjusters became fractured during the crash, which caused the seat to fall in reverse. A police report was filed and the driver sustained internal bruising from the steering wheel. The driver also sustained a herniated and bulging disc in the neck, which required medical attention. The vehicle was destroyed. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 140,000.

- Belleview, FL, USA

Jun 152014

Civic 4-cyl

Vehicle involved is a 2001 Honda Civic. The accident involved a two car collision. During the accident the drivers airbag deployed. The airbag deployed with much greater force than designed. Honda has been investigating and recalling airbag defects in its 2001 Honda Civic for many years. During this low speed, very survivable accident the driver, fully seat belted, was rendered a C2 quadriplegic. **spoke with legal counsel representing driver (86 year old, 5'-0'' adult female). Her vehicle the struck side of another vehicle and it rolled. The other six injuries from that vehicle. Only one occupant/injury in subject vehicle-driver. Par and pics submitted. 09-19-2014.pco..updated 09-24-14..09/25/14 updated 02/24/2015

- Palm Beach Gardens, FL, USA

Aug 012014

The contact owns a 2001 Honda Civic. The contact received a recall notification for NHTSA campaign number: 14V351000 (air bags). The recall repair was performed, but the air bag sensor illuminated weeks later. The dealer would not repair the vehicle again since the recall repair was already performed. The contact was waiting for an authorized dealer to get approval from the manufacturer to diagnosis and repair the vehicle. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 106,000.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Jul 142014

TL * the contact owns a 2001 Honda Civic. The contact stated that the driver crashed into the rear of another vehicle. The air bags failed to deploy. A police report was filed and the driver sustained minor injuries. The vehicle was destroyed. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 180,000. The VIN was not available.

- Van Nuys, CA, USA

Jul 012014

2001 Honda Civic. Consumer writes in regards to passenger side airbag inflator part to complete recall problems. The dealer informed the consumer the parts were not available. The consumer stated it has been over a year, since she received the recall letter.

- Palm City, FL, USA

Jun 022014

Civic 4-cyl

The Honda the inflator in the airbags had been recalled. My first attempt to take my car in for the recall on 6/2/2014 and was told they did not have the part. This Honda is not near to my home and I only went there because they would take care of the car the same day. I then called the 800 number to ensure that I could be seen at the yonkers Honda and that the car could be done the same day since this site had told me that others would be taken care of first regardless weather I got there first or not. I got an appointment from the 800 number this Monday June 9, 2014 and after an hour of waiting I was told that they did not have the part. I once again contacted the 800 number angry that I had to wait an entire week the person at the 800 number said sorry miscommunication. At this time the airbag lights are on and the Honda in yonkers told me no not something to do with the recall. My car was just inspected and the light came on a few days later. My car has never been in a car accident and has 38,000 miles. I'm its original owner. There are no other problems with my car. I believe Honda is taking a short cuts knowing that the air bags may have to be completely replaced. The Honda dealer said that they do not take care of the light I'm really distressed that the airbags are really defective altogether and even if the inflator is replaced that the airbags will in some way cause injury to me or someone in my family. I spoke the Honda 800 representative and was highly dismissed like just the inflator. Could you please investigate this. I believe Honda is deceptive in order to save money and I now a had a really hard time getting an appt. I have to return Honda's call because they supposedly may have gotten the part, what about the lights. I shouldn't have to pay extra as a consumer on airbags that have had a recall for some defective part.

- Yonkers, NY, USA

Apr 012014

Civic 4-cyl

2001 Honda Civic. Consumer writes in regards to dealership unable to complete recall and consumer wants to be removed from recall mailing list. The consumer stated the first the dealer assured him, his vehicle was not a part of the recall. The second time he went to the dealer, it was due to the inconsistent recall notices, and the dealer informed him, the part was not in stock.

- Northfield, MA, USA

Feb 092014

Civic 4-cyl

We got into a head on collision with a SUV receiving damage to the front of the car. None of the airbags deployed, but both deployed in the other car (SUV). There were two recalls for our Honda Civic airbags in 2010 and 2013. In both recalls our Honda Civic was serviced and the "driver airbag inflator" was replaced. We were told the repairs were made, but the airbags never deployed. We do not want this to happen to anyone else.

- San Diego, CA, USA

May 102013

Civic 4-cyl

2001 Honda Civic. Consumer writes in regards to vehicle defective passenger front air bag inflator. The consumer stated his son was the primary driver of the vehicle. On May 10, 2013, his son was involved in an accident and the vehicle was declared a total loss. A month after the accident, the consumer received a recall notice, informing him of a defect in the passenger front air bag inflator, which could produce excessive internal pressure upon deployment. The day of the accident, both air bags failed; the driver's side didn't open although it had been previously fixed by the dealer, and the passenger side opened with so much pressure that it broke the windshield and caused a fire inside the vehicle.

- Weston, FL, USA

Jan 172013

I hydro planed in rain, ran of the road and struck a tree head on. The drivers airbag never deployed. The passenger airbag did deploy.

- Seneca, SC, USA

Jul 012013

Civic 4-cyl

2001 Honda Civic. Consumer writes in regards to air bag recall notice. The consumer stated the nearest Honda dealer, was 270 miles away, round trip, and he would like to make arrangements for a non-Honda dealer, closer to him, to perform the recall. The consumer stated he is past 80 years old, and can no longer drive long distances, due to physical limitations.

- Saguache, CO, USA