CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2001 Civic has transmission problems, transmission problems & more transmission problems. Did we mention transmission problems? And a dangerous defect with the front airbag that didn't get recalled for 10 years.

Although eventually the defective 2001 Civic airbag inflators were fixed under recalls in 2011 & 2013, that meant for 10 to 12 years airbags were activating with excessive force where metal fragments went shooting into passengers when the airbag deployed.

As for the 2001 Civic's transmission woes? Honda conducted a major transmission recall in 2004 & settled a class action lawsuit for defective transmissions in 2006. But, neither the recall or the lawsuit included the 2001 Civic.

Last thing to consider - the 2001 Civic is the most-recalled car ever, closely followed by the 2002 Civic & the 2001 Accord. The 2001 Civic is the 4th most-recalled vehicle overall, only a Ford truck & two Ford vans have more.

9.3

$2,330.00

1. replaced transmission (256 reports)
  2. rebuilt whole transmission (152 reports)
  4. get Honda to cover the cost (54 reports)
  5. buy a different car...can't afford the repair (23 reports)
  6. break down the transmission and fix (15 reports)
2001 Honda Civic transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Honda Civic:

2001 Honda Civic Owner Comments (Page 10 of 34)

Sep 242010

Civic EX

Same story... driving on the freeway... thankfully, there was road construction happening and so traffic was very slow but could start to feel a problem with the car as I braked and accelerated... and then really with no earlier warning (the car ran fine for about an hour before this began to happen), the car died. Could shift into neutral but engine would die once I shifted into drive. Pushed car off to the side and had it towed to Honda dealership. Next morning, they told me it was the transmission and that they had never seen anything like it, that Honda civic transmissions last forever... yep. Stumbled on this website when I was looking for price quotes on used transmissions... all the complaints mirrored the diagnostic results from the dealership and I was pissed off.

Called Honda's customer service and got some bs about how they could not offer any assistance with the cost of repairs because the car was older than 6 years and was over 100,000 miles. I'm filing as many complaints as I can and am looking into my legal options.

It is really unbelievable how much greed drives decisions to recall or not to recall... it's obvious Honda of America doesn't really give a flying f*** about the safety of it's consumers. I am thankful that my sister and I were not hurt when the transmission failed, but I agree with others that it's really sad that something like this might not be fixed until people begin dying and deaths due to defective manufacturing equals bad PR.

- , Davis, CA, USA

Sep 012010

Civic

2001 Honda Civic sucks. Transmission failure, we called honda cost. service with no help, called honda checkered flag Virginia Beach where we bought this junk, associate was so rude and no help at all.

- , Virginia Beach, VA, US

Aug 012008

Civic EX 1.7

I thought that Hondas would last at least a few hundred thousand miles. Unfortunately, I've had several issues with my Honda. One of which was when my transmission died, two years ago, while making a left hand turn at a traffic light. The car literally died. I had to leave it in a nearby grocery store parking lot and have it towed to a mechanic. I called Honda for the replacement and they refused to replace it saying it had too many miles. I ended up paying $2800. Now my engine and radiator just died this past weekend, with no warning, while I was driving down the interstate. The only problem I had was that the night before it wouldn't start. After trying to get it to start, it eventually did and kept running long enough for me to make it to a nearby friend's house. The next morning when I left, and was on my way home to take it closer to a shop near my house, is when the engine light suddenly came on. However, the temperature gauge never moved, but what I thought was smoke started coming from the hood of the car. After pulling off the interstate, jumping out the car scared that it was on fire, I called 911 for help. The firemen showed up and found out that it was steam from the radiator blowing out. At 217,000 miles I expected more. I've had to get a timing belt, alternator, O2 sensors work (done twice), a transmission, and now the engine and radiator. (I may have left one or two more things out.) I wish someone would help us because most of these issues occurred at either under 100,000 or just over 100,000 miles. The blue book value of my car is only $1100. I don't see it being worth putting thousands of more dollars into it to fix it. I've literally had my car die 4 different times since owning it. All 4 times was while driving it on the interstate (twice), parking lot (once) and on a busy street (once). I bought it brand new off the showroom floor of a Honda dealership. I just thank the Lord that He has always protected me and never let me, or anyone else, get hurt while this car has died putting everyone at risk.

- , Atlanta, GA, USA

Sep 212010

Civic LX 1.7L 4 cyl

Transmission failed on my 2001 Honda Civic at 11pm an hour away from where I live. Awesome. After checking out consumer reports, this is apparently a major issue with the 2001 Civics because of an issue with the torque converter. The place AAA towed it to wanted $3K for a rebuild with factory parts and a 3-year warranty; the Honda Service Center wanted $4K!!! You would think they would offer a discount on this service since I need it because of their faulty parts, but no. Average cost after calling around was about $2600-$2700 for a rebuild. I found a place that could do it for $1800 and 1-yr warranty. Let's hope it holds out.

If you are the original owner and have maintained rigorous upkeep at Honda Service centers only, you can try to see if Honda will give you 10-20% of the cost. But if the cost is $4K, it's still going to be more expensive than an average rebuild.

- , San Francisco, CA, USA

Jan 012009

Civic DX 1.7

well I hope to write to you is any help, sometimes I think I did spending when buying the car

- , Fajardo, PR, Puerto Rico

Oct 182010

Civic

Transmission failure due to torque converter. Torque converter allowed debris into the transmission which in turn completely trashed the transmission.

- , Metamora, IL, USA

Oct 192010

Civic

After reading numerous sites, I have come to find that many Honda Civic 2001 owners have experienced the transmission failing without much warning, and that Honda will not do a recall!!! This issues is very dangerous, I along with countless others have experienced the failure during a regular drive with traffic around. This is such a harmful situation and yet Honda does not see the danger of its consumers driving around town to have their cars suddenly give out or rev, and wishing they can pull over without causing anymore safety issues. We need a recall ASAP! Many of us in these bad economic times cannot afford to pay thousands of dollars to fix the tranny nor pay for a new car.

- , N. Hollywood, CA, USA

Sep 082010

Civic EX

Driving down Atlanta major freeway in rush hour traffic. Without any warning I begin losing acceleration in my car. No warning lights, no sounds from the car. I have to coast over to the right hand lane. Putting the car in D, D2, D3 no acceleration is made, engine just revs. I had taken the car in for an oil change on Saturday, did not drive the car on Sunday or Monday, drove the car on Tuesday no problem, and then Wed problem occurs. 2 months prior had a major service for 100,000 miles and complete analysis of car....no problems with transmission found. I am the original owner of the vehicle and only had the vehicle serviced at a Honda dealership since I have owned it; including oil changes. I have owned a Honda my whole life via leases and buys. I planned on keeping this car til....125000 miles and then buying a new Honda. The cars blue book value is $5500 and the cost quoted to replace the transmission with a new one is $3300 for 3 year warranty. After market transmission are almost as much money and only warrantied to 6 months. Rebuilds are not even much less than that and are only guaranteed for 30 days and have 100,000 miles on them. My car was towed to the Honda dealership that did my oil change.....it is still sitting there. I called the Goodwill number and was told by the case worked Lilly that my car is no longer under warranty. They will not be providing any assistance. I was provided a corporate address to write a letter and she advised me she would get the letter and would then be responding to it. She was not very nice. She did not provide me any avenue to discuss the issue. I have always said Honda stands for quality but not anymore. It is a company that does not stand by its products.

But the greater concern here is the safety issue. I was on a major freeway going 60 mph and barely make it over to the shoulder coasting. Had I not made it....I could very easily been rear ended and could be in the hospital or dead. I can only thank god that my 2 kids were not with me at the time as they probably would not be here today.

For Honda to not acknowledge this in any way is a disgrace.

Perhaps I should buy from another company that has integrity.

- , Alpharetta, GA, USA

Sep 172010

Civic LX-G 1.7L

Bought this car from a lady in 2004 @12,500 KM on the board. I m retired, aged >70 years.I have pampered this car. Use this on long trips within /Canada and USA. Must say this car has given me an excellent service, just like my previous 1988 Honda Accord. I've not even had a puncture whhist drivibg through Canada& USA twicw in last five years , each time driving 18k KMs during summer.

In June I had to renew my Emmission Control Test prior to renewing my car license, which was done without hassle at the dealership.July renewd my licemse locked up the car and flew to Alberta in July returning in Sep.2010, then drove to Kingston some 250 KM away returning the next day. Three days later on Friday I was set out to go to a gathering. The car started fine but slipped back in to neutral and back into drive. his behaviour resembled a mannual trans sliiping clutch and pressure plate.I sttpooed and checked oils, everything was normal. I started the car .The "Check" lights came on. Within 2 KMs the trans went into neutral . The engine sang but no motion. Hat to call |CAA and had it towed back home.

The Owners manula says the check engine lights come on because of probable malfunction of Emmission Control system and I had just done the emmission control test in June? Is it possible that the dealership who did this test messeed up the system ? I am at a loss to understand. But reading all the complaints from your readers it seems the bottom line in $3000.And my car has done 93000KM. Which means another $1000 for 100,000 KM Service?

ny dvise apart from dump it......? Thanx listeneing to me

Sultan

- , Toronto, ON, Canada

Sep 102010

Civic EX

I'm not understanding Honda's position on not helping to fix these defective transmissions. They had a similar problem with their Odyssey ( 1999-2001 ) and extended the warranty. Evidently we need to file a class action law suit. I had a horrific experience when the trans went with no warning on a very busy highway at rush hour last friday. This problem is a dangerous situation !! And the NHTSA is doing nothing ?? What's it going to take...deaths.

- , Philadelphia, PA, USA

Sep 202006

Civic

I complained to Honda during the first month I owned the car that I thought the transmission was slipping. When it failed completely they tried to charge me about 2K. I fought with them and eventually was able to get help from the corporate office, only because it was documented that I had complained about it. It was a real pain getting them to take care of it.

- , Tewksbury, MA, USA

Sep 092010

Civic LX 4 cyl

Car died on the way home from work. Had AAA tow it to the shop we always go to and trust. They ran a number of tests on it only to find out that the transmission is in need of a complete new one. This happened last Thursday, they got the part in this morning to replace it. This morning we were looking online and found this website and realized we are not the only ones with a 2001 Civic with a failed transmission. So...I called Honda Customer Service who basically told me that since we are out of warranty (bought it Certified Used 5 years ago never had any problems ever with it) we can submit receipts and the history of transmission fluid maintenance via fax and they willl call us in 2-3 days. There has never been a recall on this and we are out of warranty so basically we are sh#! out of luck is what she told me. So frustrating. We owned a 1988 Civic prior to this one and we also now own a 2005 Accord. I love Hondas but am not too happy with this situation.

- , Omaha, NE, USA

Sep 082010

Civic EX 1.7L

Well praise God that it lasted 189K miles but my transmission just died and it's going to be $1900ish to fix. This is just more than I'm comfortable spending for how many miles it has. I never knew there were so many problems with this year and model's transmission before it happened to me. There should really be something about this on the news. This really sucks since I'm not exactly in a place to be going and buying a car. But all things happen for a reason.

- , Arlington, TX, USA

Sep 062010

Civic EX 1.7L

It's frustrating to see all the complaints for the same issue and yet Honda doesn't do anything about this. It's the same story as 90% of the complaints on this site....car won't move in any gear. The thing is, it's my 16 year old daughter's car (we've owned and maintained since we bought it new in Dec 2000) and it left her stranded in the middle of an intersection. Luckily she's ok and didn't get plowed by another person not paying attention. Not a safety issue? I beg to differ. When I spoke to the American Honda rep yesterday, he was indifferent to the fact that it's a known problem and said they can't do anything to help. Thanks for nothing ass clown! To top it off, in order for my me and my buddy to replace the transmission, the engine and transmission have to be removed from the bottom of the car.....car has to basically be lifted over the engine/transmission and the transmission removed once they're both out of the vehicle.....got you by the short hairs and the wallet. Thanks for building the flippin' car around the motor Honda. Never buying another Honda.

- , Mulvane, KS, USA

Civic LX

I was always the "black sheep" of the family for not buying HONDA cars...well in Aug. 2001 I bought (new) 2001 Honda Civic. I ranted and raved about having a HONDA and how I was the sole owner and would drive this car until it died doing all the maintenance requirements, and taking really great care of the car. Well, Friday night w/o much warning the car quit when I was miles away from home going up a steep hill with cars behind me.....I managed to make it to the top of the hill, coasted down the hill and off the side of the road. AAA towed it to the dealer in Lockport and for $59.95 (plus tax) they told me what I already knew....Transmission failure---for $2775 they could rebuild it and that they don't have any loaner cars at West Herr! Luckily my fiancee (who picked me up in a RUNNING TOYOTA) and his friends have a race car trailer and got it the heck out of the dealer's lot and they took it out and I am in the process of having it re-built. After reading all these similar complaints I am not feeling good about spending the money for the repairs (many said they have had 3 transmissions replaced!!!!) Why is it not being published anywhere about these BIG, BIG problems???? Very disappointed in the HONDA!!!

- , LeRoy, NY, USA

Civic LX 4 cyl

I am the original owner of this Honda and have followed the maintenance schedule to a t. I have never had any problems with this car and am extremely upset to have a dead transmission already. Hondas reluctance to do ANYTHING to help me out with the replacement of the transmission is the most infuriating part of the ordeal. This particular year and model has 3x as many transmission problems as any other Honda, yet they refuse to issue any kind of recall to fix the problem. It's good to know that Honda stands behind the quality of their products. I will never buy another one and will discourage anyone else from doing so.

- , Portland, OR, USA

Civic LX

I had several appointments, when without warning, my car would not accelerate beyond 5-10 miles an hour. I had no idea what was going on with my car and I didn't want to drive it to my regular service station. I feared I was causing more harm to the existing problem if I traveled over a mile, so I had to settle for a nearby gas station. I think they ripped me off with the cost being over $2, 500 to rebuild the transmission and losing 4 days of possession of the car. I think they saw a female driver who had no clue about car parts, etc. so they overcharged me, knowing I needed the car repaired.

I am extremely upset that this transmission problem is pretty common in 2001 Honda Civics and I think there should have been a recall. What if I had been on the highway with my 2 year old and the car suddenly stopped going at the speed limit!?? How is that not dangerous to me and other vehicles? Luckily, I had been at a red light and the car experienced the problem when the light changed, with no warnings at all. Why isn't there more public awareness about this issue, especially when lives are at stake, despite what the bureaucrats state?

- , Bayside, NY, USA

Aug 272010

Civic LX

I am floored and in total disbelief. I got theis car less than 9 years ago for $18k+ with the 7 year/80k mile extended warranty. I serviced it regularly and now just before 9 years and at 96k miles the transmission dies. Luckily the baby wasn't in the car with me. I live in Hawaii and they want $3 to $4k to fix it. Anybody want to start a class action?

Update from Sep 21, 2010: My 2001 Honda Civic died suddenly on the road with no warning. I bought the car new with the extended warranty (to 7 yrs/80k miles) and thought I would be good to go since Honda has a great reputation for reliability. They want $3800 to fix it. The dealership brought it down to $2900 and I am in total disbelief. I called American Honda and they basically told me they had "no obligation" apparently the 2001 Honda Civic is renowned to have this problem. I would like to file a class action as there was already one done for the 2000-2001 Accord, and other models.

I went from loving my Honda to thinking their company is SHADY and makes a poor quality product.

- , Honolulu, HI, USA

Aug 112010

Civic LX

I was returning home during rush hour when the transmission slipped out of gear and would not re-engage. I was going about 50 MPH in heavy traffic. the check engine light came on. Luckily I was in the outside lane on I-275 and was able to cost to the curb. I checked the transmission fluid, which was satisfactory. I waited a half hour and was able to limp home, with the check engine light remaining lighted.

This car has been babied and has less than 60,000 miles. I am afraid to take it in for repairs as I am afraid of the cost of repairs. I was trying to get a handle on how to handle this when I encountered this site. I plan to call Honda first, then go from there. this car has been well maintained and I did not expect this from a low mileage Honda.

- , Lutz, FL, USA

Civic LX 1.7L V4

Second transmission, Calling honda to see if they'll replace it otherwise i'm going to part it out and get a new car, one with a warranty and functional transmission.

- , Plymouth, MA, Afghanistan