Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2001 Civic has transmission problems, transmission problems & more transmission problems. Did we mention transmission problems? And a dangerous defect with the front airbag that didn't get recalled for 10 years.

Although eventually the defective 2001 Civic airbag inflators were fixed under recalls in 2011 & 2013, that meant for 10 to 12 years airbags were activating with excessive force where metal fragments went shooting into passengers when the airbag deployed.

As for the 2001 Civic's transmission woes? Honda conducted a major transmission recall in 2004 & settled a class action lawsuit for defective transmissions in 2006. But, neither the recall or the lawsuit included the 2001 Civic.

Last thing to consider - the 2001 Civic is the most-recalled car ever, closely followed by the 2002 Civic & the 2001 Accord. The 2001 Civic is the 4th most-recalled vehicle overall, only a Ford truck & two Ford vans have more.

1. replaced transmission (253 reports)
  2. rebuilt whole transmission (151 reports)
  4. get Honda to cover the cost (54 reports)
  5. buy a different car...can't afford the repair (23 reports)
  6. break down the transmission and fix (15 reports)
2001 Honda Civic transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Honda Civic:

2001 Honda Civic Owner Comments (Page 12 of 34)

May 212010

Civic EX 1.7L

Put me on as complainer 419...just happened yesterday, driving on the interstate when I would accelerate and the car would not go, coasted into an oasis on I -294. 1/2 hour later seemed OK, the fluid level was full (get regular service on the car). drove for a few more miles until it stopped accelerating again. I was able to limp it to a repair center (check engine light was on when this happened), they want to charge $3700 for a rebuilt trans. Then I found this site... 85,000 miles on the car. I got 136,000 before I traded in my Mazda Protege 5. The Civic is a 2nd car, but what a POS!! Haven't repaired yet, trying to find someone that will repair for less...

- , Montgomery, IL, USA

May 202010

Civic DX V6

My transmission failed as well. The inconvenience this has caused me in time and money is beyond words. If there is a defect, then there should be a recall. The next car I buy will be SOMETHING ELSE!

- , Austin, TX, USA

Civic LX

I can't put into words how frustrated I am with Honda right now. Although it is partially my fault for not researching this model more (apparently it's a common problem) I am also annoyed with the Honda dealer I took to get it fixed. I took it in on a Wednesday at noon and they didn't look at it until SATURDAY! They then told me that I had to replace the transmission and it would cost a CHEAP $3,000. As soon as I looked on this site I found that's pretty expensive. I wish I had known this was a common problem!

- , Mount Laurel, NJ, USA

Civic EX 1.7L

Suddenly, the transmission broke out, the D light appeared blinking. Awful because I've just bought this car :(.

- , Guadalajara, Jalisco, Mexico

Civic LX

No need to go depth here, same as everyone else. Three hours into a 6 hour trip cruising at 65mph the car bucked, the engine light came on and nothing but neutral rev when accelerated. A $225 tow job to the nearest transmission facility for a $2300 repair. Everyone please file with NHTSA Office of Defects Investigation and Center for Auto Safety.

- , Richmond, VA, USA

Jun 302010

Civic EX 1.7L

I'm totally disappointed with Honda. I never thought that this kind of failure can occur to any car. I think there is some design mistake in this transmission.

- , Santo Domingo, Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic

Jun 282010

Civic LX

Same story as everyone else. The check engine light came on. About ten minutes later, the car had difficulty reaching street speed limit of 40. I figured that the gas was low, but it died shortly after I reached the gas station.

I had to tow it to a nearby dealer who informed me the transmission was out. I bought this car a year ago for its reliability. Still making payments on it. I guess I'm lucky that it happened with more miles than expected and I got a good deal to repair ($1600) with a 2 year warranty, and I didnt get hurt. I love the Honda Civic very much, but I don't think I will ever get one again. A company should be aware and responsible for its defective product.

Somebody sue!

- , North Hills, CA, USA

Sep 082005

Civic LX 1.7L

Failed at about 80k. Had transmission replaced with a junked out 2001 tranny...made perfect sense at the time! THAT one gave out about 30k later. Had a 2004 put in, which has given me about 90k and still going strong.

- , Lancaster, CA, USA

Jan 012010

Civic 1.7L

Mechanic stated that there was a recall on parts for the transmission.After the transmission was rebuilt then to find out about a recall on the part.It's been in the shop now since April 21st 2010.Now I'm wondering about this make and models ac system as will.

- , Poteau, OK, USA

Jun 262010

PLEASE...if you have or have had a problem with your 2001 Honda Civic transmission, and it has caused a safety issue for you, report it to NHTSA: . I spoke with Honda after my transmission completely failed without warning while going at highway speeds (safe, right???), and their representative said that they are aware of the problem, but that the government has not required them to do a recall because there have not been enough consumer complaints. Please file a complaint with NHTSA so that other people's lives are not endangered, and Honda takes responsibility for their faulty product!!!

- , Atlanta, GA, USA

Jun 272010

Civic LX

I am now think of not buying Honda cars any more. With 81000 miles transmission braking down, it not acceptable.

Update from Jul 8, 2010: I called American Honda customer service. I was told that these claims in the internet were not true. But, they are not investigating. As far as I know, my claim is real.

- , Fairfax, VA, USA

Mar 012010

Civic EX 1.7L

Oh man I felt that Honda cars were the best but apparently they arent. A transmission failure in the middle of the highway at night is the worst thing to happen. If I knew about this before I wouldnt have bought this 2001 honda civic... such pain in the ^$$.... I really think Honda should take responsability of the cars they made and announce a recall for transmission failure...

- , elizabeth, NJ, USA

Jun 052010

How many more horror stories of a doomed from birth transmission must consumers get stuck with, before Honda a multi billion dollar cooperation backs their product?

To drive down the street for ten minutes,having the transmission suddenly quitting, without warning, definitely isnt unheard of, when owning Honda products.

How many people must be injured or even die, before a failing transmission becomes a safety issue? Anything to brush the public off, is that how it is, Honda? Im certain once a few more transmissions go out on people driving on the freeway, and get run over by a big rig tractor trailer,the lawsuits will open your ears? What happened to taking care of the consumer, versus the rich getting richer?

For me,unable to get to and from work now,not able to live check to check, how can I not be upset? Even if I had the money to buy a rebuilt, the guarantees of another failure down the road, are not very promising. Numerous, typical, ongoing problems that keep occurring, daily, and Honda ignores it. Thanks!! Its a good thing my car wont move, or id drive that piece of crap, right through a Honda showroom front window.Crooked @$tards Id love to see the day one of the big cooperates get stranded, hopeless,looked staright in the face and lied to.

- , Corona, CA, USA

Feb 012008

Transmission gone at only 57K. Wife's Car never driven hard. She's the only owner since new. This is crazy. We will never buy a Honda again that is for sure.

- , Florence, KY, USA

Jun 062010

Civic EX 1.7L

I've had no significant issues with my Honda Civic for the last 9 years. So I was incredibly surprised when my automatic transmission gave out suddenly with no warning after reaching 130,000 miles. I was driving along accelerating normally from a stoplight when I lost all acceleration. Luckily, it occurred right before I got on the interstate where it would have been a dangerous situation. I was fully expecting my civic to last 180k to 200k without a significant problem. I took my car to AAMCO after Honda was going to charge $3650 to replace everything. Total at AAMCO came to $2570. Turns out the issue was the Torque Converter overheating, failing and destroying everything in my transmission. Again, I was surprised to see how common this problem is with the 2001 Honda Civic.

I was planning to drive this car into the ground, but I think I'm going to have to sell it before this issue occurs again. I can't believe there hasn't been a redesign on the torque converter to replace the unit on the 01 Civic. Very disappointed in Honda right now.

- , Aiken, SC, USA

Jun 082010

Civic EX 4 cyl

While at a stop light, the transmission failed. Engine reved, but car didn't move. As if a clutch was engaged on a stick shift. (This was an automatic.) Had AAA tow the car to AAMCO Transmission shop. This was based on limited automotive knowledge. Take a tranny problem to a tranny specialist. By doing so, I voided any chance of Honda doing the right thing. The website suggested calling 1-800-999-1009 to request a "Goodwill Repair" since they know about this problem but haven't recalled the car. Well so much for goodwill. The catch is you must take the car to a Honda Dealer. Now that a transmission specialist has disassembled the tranny and diagnosted the problem, Honda won't help. So I am writing this to alert people to take their problems back to Honda first or GOODWILL is only someplace to take old clothes. I will remember this when I look for a new car. Thanks for nothing Honda!!!

- , Melbourne, FL, USA

Jun 062010

Civic EX 4 cyl

Please file a safety complaint with the Office of Defects Investigation, an office within the National Traffic Safety Administration or call 888-327-4236 to file a complaint about 2001 Honda Civic transmission failure - - our complaints to demand a recall for the transmission defect is NOT a safety issue according to the NHTSA, your complaint to this department WILL make a difference & may save someones life when their Civc suddently stops accelerating!

Does anyone with this problem know of a pending suit against Honda? Transmission failure is an absolute safety issue and the law needs to force Honda to recall or repair this obvious malfunction. Please reply if you've heard of a lawsuit we can join.

- , Las Cruces, NM, USA

Apr 032009

Civic EX

So Hondas are known for being reliable right? Apparently not 2001 Civics!!! I noticed a high pitched whine that would only occur when I started the car but would disappear after the car had been driven a few miles, so I figured maybe it was a belt. One day my car started slipping into 2nd and 3rd gear, figured I maybe needed the trans flushed. The next day my car wouldn't go into gear at all- managed to get it into gear after a few attempts and drove it to my friend's shop. Learned that the torque converters fall apart between 70K to 90K! Yep, $2,600 later and plus cost of a rental car, my car was back on the road with a rebuilt transmission from the dealership w/ a 3 year warranty. Settled my losses. Pissed cuz Honda has not done a recall, no class-action lawsuit, nothing. This is a safety issue!

Now my transmission has failed AGAIN a year later because of a broken control arm that sent my car to a screeching halt, thus f*ing up the tranmission. So here we go again, sitting in a rental. Going to get this fixed fast and sell it. Hello new car payment. The only time I want to hear whining coming from my car again is from me the damn driver. Get your st together Honda! Will never buy from this company again!!

- , Tucson, AZ, USA

May 172010

Civic EX 1.7L

another 2001 civic to add to the list of transmission failures trans started to whine and slip in cold weather car has been well maintained fluid flushes at 32000, 50000,68000 took car to dealer and was told trans about to go out pump / bearing failure dealer quotes $3300 to repair honda willing to pick up $1300 although they tell me they have never heard of any transmission problems with this model very disspointed honda does not stand behind product clearly by all the posts on this model a recall is needed this is my 10th honda all my other cars have easily gone 200,000 miles what gives?? honda

- , crown point, IN, USA

Jun 012005

I did not know about this complaint forum. My Honda Civic had to have the transmission fixed with just 65000 miles on it. All maintanance was completed. It just stopped working and that was it. I wish I would have known about this problem before I bought the car.

- , Tempe, AZ, USA