CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2001 Civic has transmission problems, transmission problems & more transmission problems. Did we mention transmission problems? And a dangerous defect with the front airbag that didn't get recalled for 10 years.

Although eventually the defective 2001 Civic airbag inflators were fixed under recalls in 2011 & 2013, that meant for 10 to 12 years airbags were activating with excessive force where metal fragments went shooting into passengers when the airbag deployed.

As for the 2001 Civic's transmission woes? Honda conducted a major transmission recall in 2004 & settled a class action lawsuit for defective transmissions in 2006. But, neither the recall or the lawsuit included the 2001 Civic.

Last thing to consider - the 2001 Civic is the most-recalled car ever, closely followed by the 2002 Civic & the 2001 Accord. The 2001 Civic is the 4th most-recalled vehicle overall, only a Ford truck & two Ford vans have more.

9.3

$2,333.00

1. replaced transmission (257 reports)
  2. rebuilt whole transmission (153 reports)
  4. get Honda to cover the cost (54 reports)
  5. buy a different car...can't afford the repair (23 reports)
  6. break down the transmission and fix (15 reports)
2001 Honda Civic transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Honda Civic:

2001 Honda Civic Owner Comments (Page 12 of 34)

Jun 262010

Civic LX 1.7L

Well I took my car to Pep Boys for a free code check turns out to be p0740 ( TCC ) , so I went to the local Honda dealer. Told them specifically what was wrong and showed them the code was given by pep Boys. So I stated to them that I didn't want to pay them their $102.00 dollar diagnosis charge so that they can just end up telling me what I just told them. So they stated to me and my wife that , that would NOT happen if we paid them. The service guy even stated to me and my wife that they would PIN POINT the exact problem, so finally we left the car their and paid them. MISTAKE!....Finally about 3 hours later when we go in, he states to me exactly what I had told him from the beginning, so I told him what's the point for paying the diagnosis for? He said he couldn't diagnose it correctly unless he takes apart the transmission. Was so pissed off about now, after he tells me I would have to replace the transmission at a cost about $3,200.00...WOW...Has anyone gone or is going through the same problem? Any advise or can anyone refffer me to any website or phone # on who to contact?

- , Hesperia, CA, US

Jun 222010

Civic EX

Same story as everyone else. Faulty torque converter destroyed the transmission. Honda America wouldn't help out. Total cost 3100 for a remanufactured transmission. Can not believe Honda could sell a lemon like this in the US and getaway with it. Thanks for nothing Honda.

- , Vernon, CT, USA

Jul 182010

Civic LX 1.7L

Driving to my mechanic from work in the pouring rain. Car will not shift into second then rev goes way up and transmission completely broke. Had it towed going to cost me $2100 for a tranny with 64,000 miles on it with a 6 month warranty. I'm selling this car after the warranty. I will buy an older Honda Civic i love Honda and Civics but they really messed up in 2001 i wish they would pay for it =[

- , New Bedford, MA, USA

Jun 242010

Civic EX

Its not fun to be driving in the middle of the night on the freeway and all of the sudden your car stops without any warning, then the check engine light turnon after the car wouldnt run.I think that Honda should do a re call on their 2001 civic transmissions because they have a good reputation when they dont deserve it!!!!

- , Fontana, CA, USA

Jul 132010

Civic LX

click to see larger images

transmission failure

My car just failed on me right in the middle of the road in Hollywood. Luckily I was able to roll it to a parking spot. I didn't know what was wrong at that time, so I let it cool down while I grabbed a snack and tried again after an hour or so. My car started moving again on this uphill road when it suddenly started rolling backwards that we had to kill it and push-parked it to the nearest spot. Towing alone cost $200. I found out that my torque converter failed and that worst case scenario, it ruined my transmission too. That's going to cost way too much than I bargained for. THANKS HONDA!

- , Downey, CA, US

Civic EX

I was driving down a highway doing highway speeds on my way home from work. I was coming down a hill when i see traffic so i hit the breaks to stop and as the cars in front of my started to move my car when i hit the gas just revved up and wouldnt move far at all. I was attemping to get to the side of the road out of the way of other people and my car refused to move with me sitting in the middle of the highway. It revved and wouldnt go anywhere. Finally my fiance showed up and helped me move the car to the side(putting it in to nuetrle and he pushed me to the side of the road. I had to pay Almost $200 to have my car towed to my mechanic only to be told the transmission is bad and it would cost me $2650 to replace it.

I am still paying the car off and it wasnt even worth it to fix it. So now i am without a car and pying off a car that i cant drive anyway. From research i have done this car is known for it but for whatever reason honda refuses to recall the car. I am lucky to be alive. If it wasnt for the traffic and my car seized up the way it did doing the highway speed i could have died. Honda needs to recall this car since it is obviously dangerous!

- , New Windsor, NY, USA

May 212010

Civic EX 1.7L

Put me on as complainer 419...just happened yesterday, driving on the interstate when I would accelerate and the car would not go, coasted into an oasis on I -294. 1/2 hour later seemed OK, the fluid level was full (get regular service on the car). drove for a few more miles until it stopped accelerating again. I was able to limp it to a repair center (check engine light was on when this happened), they want to charge $3700 for a rebuilt trans. Then I found this site... 85,000 miles on the car. I got 136,000 before I traded in my Mazda Protege 5. The Civic is a 2nd car, but what a POS!! Haven't repaired yet, trying to find someone that will repair for less...

- , Montgomery, IL, USA

May 202010

Civic DX V6

My transmission failed as well. The inconvenience this has caused me in time and money is beyond words. If there is a defect, then there should be a recall. The next car I buy will be SOMETHING ELSE!

- , Austin, TX, USA

Civic LX

I can't put into words how frustrated I am with Honda right now. Although it is partially my fault for not researching this model more (apparently it's a common problem) I am also annoyed with the Honda dealer I took to get it fixed. I took it in on a Wednesday at noon and they didn't look at it until SATURDAY! They then told me that I had to replace the transmission and it would cost a CHEAP $3,000. As soon as I looked on this site I found that's pretty expensive. I wish I had known this was a common problem!

- , Mount Laurel, NJ, USA

Civic EX 1.7L

Suddenly, the transmission broke out, the D light appeared blinking. Awful because I've just bought this car :(.

- , Guadalajara, Jalisco, Mexico

Civic LX

No need to go depth here, same as everyone else. Three hours into a 6 hour trip cruising at 65mph the car bucked, the engine light came on and nothing but neutral rev when accelerated. A $225 tow job to the nearest transmission facility for a $2300 repair. Everyone please file with NHTSA Office of Defects Investigation and Center for Auto Safety.

- , Richmond, VA, USA

Jun 302010

Civic EX 1.7L

I'm totally disappointed with Honda. I never thought that this kind of failure can occur to any car. I think there is some design mistake in this transmission.

- , Santo Domingo, Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic

Jun 282010

Civic LX

Same story as everyone else. The check engine light came on. About ten minutes later, the car had difficulty reaching street speed limit of 40. I figured that the gas was low, but it died shortly after I reached the gas station.

I had to tow it to a nearby dealer who informed me the transmission was out. I bought this car a year ago for its reliability. Still making payments on it. I guess I'm lucky that it happened with more miles than expected and I got a good deal to repair ($1600) with a 2 year warranty, and I didnt get hurt. I love the Honda Civic very much, but I don't think I will ever get one again. A company should be aware and responsible for its defective product.

Somebody sue!

- , North Hills, CA, USA

Sep 082005

Civic LX 1.7L

Failed at about 80k. Had transmission replaced with a junked out 2001 tranny...made perfect sense at the time! THAT one gave out about 30k later. Had a 2004 put in, which has given me about 90k and still going strong.

- , Lancaster, CA, US

Jan 012010

Civic 1.7L

Mechanic stated that there was a recall on parts for the transmission.After the transmission was rebuilt then to find out about a recall on the part.It's been in the shop now since April 21st 2010.Now I'm wondering about this make and models ac system as will.

- , Poteau, OK, USA

Jun 262010

Civic

PLEASE...if you have or have had a problem with your 2001 Honda Civic transmission, and it has caused a safety issue for you, report it to NHTSA: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/contact.cfm . I spoke with Honda after my transmission completely failed without warning while going at highway speeds (safe, right???), and their representative said that they are aware of the problem, but that the government has not required them to do a recall because there have not been enough consumer complaints. Please file a complaint with NHTSA so that other people's lives are not endangered, and Honda takes responsibility for their faulty product!!!

- , Atlanta, GA, USA

Jun 272010

Civic LX

I am now think of not buying Honda cars any more. With 81000 miles transmission braking down, it not acceptable.

Update from Jul 8, 2010: I called American Honda customer service. I was told that these claims in the internet were not true. But, they are not investigating. As far as I know, my claim is real.

- , Fairfax, VA, USA

Mar 012010

Civic EX 1.7L

Oh man I felt that Honda cars were the best but apparently they arent. A transmission failure in the middle of the highway at night is the worst thing to happen. If I knew about this before I wouldnt have bought this 2001 honda civic... such pain in the ^$$.... I really think Honda should take responsability of the cars they made and announce a recall for transmission failure...

- , elizabeth, NJ, USA

Jun 052010

FOR CRYING OUT LOUD

How many more horror stories of a doomed from birth transmission must consumers get stuck with, before Honda a multi billion dollar cooperation backs their product?

To drive down the street for ten minutes,having the transmission suddenly quitting, without warning, definitely isnt unheard of, when owning Honda products.

How many people must be injured or even die, before a failing transmission becomes a safety issue? Anything to brush the public off, is that how it is, Honda? Im certain once a few more transmissions go out on people driving on the freeway, and get run over by a big rig tractor trailer,the lawsuits will open your ears? What happened to taking care of the consumer, versus the rich getting richer?

For me,unable to get to and from work now,not able to live check to check, how can I not be upset? Even if I had the money to buy a rebuilt, the guarantees of another failure down the road, are not very promising. Numerous, typical, ongoing problems that keep occurring, daily, and Honda ignores it. Thanks!! Its a good thing my car wont move, or id drive that piece of crap, right through a Honda showroom front window.Crooked @$tards Id love to see the day one of the big cooperates get stranded, hopeless,looked staright in the face and lied to.

- , Corona, CA, USA

Feb 012008

Civic

Transmission gone at only 57K. Wife's Car never driven hard. She's the only owner since new. This is crazy. We will never buy a Honda again that is for sure.

- , Florence, KY, USA