Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2001 Civic has transmission problems, transmission problems & more transmission problems. Did we mention transmission problems? And a dangerous defect with the front airbag that didn't get recalled for 10 years.

Although eventually the defective 2001 Civic airbag inflators were fixed under recalls in 2011 & 2013, that meant for 10 to 12 years airbags were activating with excessive force where metal fragments went shooting into passengers when the airbag deployed.

As for the 2001 Civic's transmission woes? Honda conducted a major transmission recall in 2004 & settled a class action lawsuit for defective transmissions in 2006. But, neither the recall or the lawsuit included the 2001 Civic.

Last thing to consider - the 2001 Civic is the most-recalled car ever, closely followed by the 2002 Civic & the 2001 Accord. The 2001 Civic is the 4th most-recalled vehicle overall, only a Ford truck & two Ford vans have more.

1. replaced transmission (253 reports)
  2. rebuilt whole transmission (150 reports)
  4. get Honda to cover the cost (54 reports)
  5. buy a different car...can't afford the repair (23 reports)
  6. break down the transmission and fix (15 reports)
2001 Honda Civic transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Honda Civic:

2001 Honda Civic Owner Comments (Page 14 of 34)

Apr 072010

Civic EX 1.7L

Are you kidding me! I called Honda customer service 800 999 1099 for a "goodwill repair" they said there is nothing they can do. What a bunch of crap. Its obvious by looking at how many people have had there transmissions fail that this is happening on almost all 01 civics. HONDA = SUCK

- , Marlborough, MA, USA

Apr 222010

So I went to the Honda dealership to get my airbag replaced because it was recalled. While I was there I told them to look at the driver side window because it was not rolling down. What I thought would take maybe 2 hours took 5. When I was leaving the service station I noticed that my car was not accelerating correctly. Then when I pulled out of the parking lot, it wouldn't go. I put my foot on the gas and it just rolled a bit. I was able to pull it back into the dealership and they had to roll it to the service station. I ended up spending another 5 hours there until someone could come and pick me up. The next day they called and said that the transmission had failed. They told me it would cost about $3500 to replace. But they said that sometimes Honda offers "goodwill" repairs, so they are going to check into that. I'm lucky because I live within walking distance to work, so I'm not in a big rush to get my car back. My question is, should I get the transmission replaced if Honda helps me out? I can't even afford to pay 1/4 of that right now. But the idea of buying another car really pisses me off, because I just paid this one off in Feb. I bought a Honda because I thought that it would be reliable. Never again.

- , Atlanta, GA, USA

Jan 022010

Civic EX

how many failures till we get a recall? then when the recall comes. (not that it ever will) how many people will be compensated. i bet only the ones that didn't take any steps to fix the tranny will. its ridiculous that when you call a mechanic about an 01 civic they tell you transmission failure is common. its even more of a joke that HONDA knows its an issue and has done nothing about it. my failure occurred at 4 am. 15 degree weather in upstate ny. lucky for me i was able to get cell phone service to call for a tow, and the car remained running so i didn't freeze. this is a serious issue that needs national attention..

- , Hadley, NY, USA

Mar 132010

Civic EX

I bought a Honda Civic because it was supposed to be the most reliable car in the market. Now at 102,000 odd miles I have to shell out the equivalent of the down payment on a car (3000 bucks) to have my transmission rebuilt. This is just terrible. I will contact Honda customer service and gripe and see if that does any good.Doesn't this website have enough complaints regarding 2001 Honda Civic Transmission problems to warrant a lawsuit of some sort?

- , Valencia, CA, USA

Nov 012008

Civic EX 1.7L

I bought this car brand new. What a piece of crap! You name it, I've probably replaced it. The worst problem by far is the transmission. With the first few months of having the car, the transmission was slipping. It ran like this for years. In November 2008, I went to a friends house in the middle of nowhere, where cell phone service does not even reach on a mountain. On my way up, I was thinking how great my car was running. As soon as I left the house around midnight and I was in complete darkness with no houses, the car decides that it wants to make this loud revving noise but no longer move. I just barely had made it to the top of the hill and coasted down this mountain at full speed for fear of not being able to get going. Somehow barely coasted to the main street, blew through a stop sign make a hard right and another hard right into the grocery store parking lot where I can get cell phone service and the car just stopped. Everything worked in the car when I turned it on later, it just did not move. Called AAA which cost an arm and a leg and the guy said he never saw this before. I towed it in the middle of the night to my regular mechanic. Two days later on Monday, he told me that I have to bring it to Honda because it's the transmission. He printed out a "bulletin" for me similar to a recall. I called the Honda company and got a case number and complained to them. I printed out all kinds of documentation stating this is a known problem, etc. I towed the car to the dealer. They would not do anything so I argued and finally told them that I would leave my car there until they fixed it. They worked with me since I argued that I expected to get at least 100,000 miles out of that car without a major problem and so far I've replaced half the parts in the car! I told them I had an 1989 Trans Am GTA with 180,000 miles on it with never a major problem and I should have kept it! They ended up paying for the transmission and I just paid $200.00 for a 3 year 36,000 mile warranty. That was on 11/1/08. The transmission is slipping again. I'm prepared for it to die again sometime soon. I despise this car!! It's the worst ever. I will never buy another Honda again because of this. I was even told by some employees at Honda that their cars especially the Accords and minivans are known for the transmissions dying. Then fix them!!!!!

- , Hillsborough, NJ, USA

Mar 082010

Civic EX 4 cyl

I currently own a 2001 Honda Civic EX. Last week I was headed home from work and my car started revving up and wouldn't go. I had to pull over and have my husband meet me to help get it home. After several auto shop and wrecker bills later, I have a bad transmission. This has really pissed me off. I understand that my car is old and it has 141,000 miles on it BUT I have taken immaculate care of this car. I am the original owner. I have changed the oil every 3,000 miles and stayed up to date on all the other services that Honda has recommended. Newer cars are definitely not made like they used to be. I was hoping to get at least 200- 300,00 miles out of my car. I called the dealership that I purchased it from hoping I would get some assistance. That was not the case. They wanted me to have them hook it up to their machine to see if it was the transmission before they could tell me if Honda would help with any costs for repairing it. They only way I could get it to them would be on a wrecker. By the time I got it down there, paid the wrecker and their service charge, I would have over $300 just to confirm something I have already been told 3 times! I don't think so. The dealership said that with the miles my car has on it and with it being a 2001, he highly doubted me getting any help. WTF?? A new transmission from Honda would cost me approximately $3,000. So then I called this "800 goodwill repair number". And they basically said the same thing.... This has really angered me. Honda's service has really sucked. You would think that after all the problems other 2001 Civic owners have had, they would issue a recall. It is supposably "not a safety issue". How is going down the road and suddenly your car won't accelerate not a safety issue? Whatever. I will never own another Honda. I will tell everyone I know about my bad experience with them as well. So, if you are reading this and considering buying a used 2001 Civic...DON'T. Even better, if you are a Honda rep reading this .....YALL SUCK!

- , Dahlonega, GA, USA

Jan 132010

Civic Ex Sedan

I bought the car new at 11000 miles or so. I had my transmission replaced it was having problems and not down shifing when I was slowing down. Now at 150000 miles I had to replace the transmission AGAIN! and this time it was not under warranty. I had taken my car to the Honda dealer to get the 30,000 miles service and about 1 and a half weeks later my transmission failed. AS soon as I took it back I noticed something was wrong and I took it back to them at first they said it was my spark plugs then I took it back to them again cause I told them the problem was getting worse. My RPM would go up but the car would not move. The next time they told me my transmission was going out. I was In shock to find out. I was like how? it gets serviced every 30000 miles I don't do any driving up mountains daily or anything. They were just like it just happens. well I was not very happy and pissed off I felt like I had taken my car to get fixed and ended up short handed. It seems like this year of car has lots of problems with the transmissions when exactly is Honda going to do something about it and start taking responsibility for their problems with the car. Just cause it might not have caused any deaths or serious injuries I hope, it seems that Honda doesn't care about it. Honda take responsibility it is time

- , Turlock, C, USA

Aug 102009

Civic LX

The car died at the gas station. I then had it towed to a transmission shop they rebuilt the transmission and the car still jerks from gear to gear. I took the car back to the shop 6 times and the mechanic told me that this year of civic is trash. Finding this website has led me to believe that he was correct. Honda! never again.

- , Greenwood, MO, USA

Aug 102009

Civic LX

WOW! Honda is a failure. My car died at the gas station, and I had it towed to my mechanic he rebuilt the transmission. The car has not ran well since I bought it. The engine revs and the gears switch out of time. I don't understand why with this many complaints Honda doesn't do something. Well Honda, you lost my business for life.

- , Greenwood, MO, USA

Mar 052010

Civic EX

Just another person to add to the list. I was crossing a very busy street when my engine just started reving up and I kept on stepping on the gas pedal and the car wouldn't go. I finally pulled over to the side of the road and tried to put the car in drive again and it just wouldn't go. Shut the car off for about 10 minutes and put in in drive could only go about 5mph and made it to the drive way. Now I am in a rental car and I am not sure what's next. But now that I see this year Civic has some problems with the transmission not sure I even want to keep it. I only have 70,000 miles on it. I think Honda should do something about this.

- , Orlando, FL, USA

Jan 222010

Civic LX 4 cyl

Bought a honda with high miles thinking no worries. Tranny went bad and now I see how many other complaints about that year civic trannys went bad. Will never consider honda again.

- , Fairmont, WV, USA

Feb 022010

Civic EX

Looks like i was one of many people that got screwed by Honda. It really shocks me that they are not willing to do anything about this problem. CAN WE SAY RECALL!!!! Same thing happened to me i was driving and my transmission just died. I have been out of a car for a few weeks and it still is acting funny. I am going to sell this car and will probably never buy a Honda again!!

- , Richardson, TX, USA

Feb 222010

Civic DX

I am just another person to add to the list of 2001 Honda Civic transmission failure victims. My car's check engine light came on, my car was revving up when I was hiting the gas pedal but would not accelerate and was driving really rough. Took it to the Union Park Honda Dealer in Wilmington, DE. They proceeded to tell me that there was nothing wrong with the car's performance. As I drove away the car did the revving and the noise 4 to 5 times in a matter of minutes. Two days later I drove the car again. I was taking the ramp to get off the highway and my car stopped on the ramp. The engine was running but my car wouldn't moved. I had to towed the car to the Union Park Honda Dealer once again. Now, all of the sudden, it goes from nothing wrong with my car to I need a new transmission. They are charging me over $4000 for a refurbished transmission. This is outrageous. How do we get Honda to do a recall to get this fixed.

- , Lincoln University, PA, USA

Dec 012009

Civic LX 1.7L 4 cyl

Just foudn this site, wish i knew earlier. Im the 3rd owner of this civic, no warranty. Loved it, bought it to replace a 97 nissan sentra;that has since only needed a new battery. Needless to say i regret buying this civic. I dropped it off at my regular machanic, the next day i got it back and the transmission died, at 97,000 miles. Im still in debt. Thanks honda for not fixing the problems you created for all these people!

- , Plymouth, MA, USA

Feb 192010

Okay unlike many of the complaints on here I did actually have a warning sign. My check engine light came on 2/13/10 and I took it to Autozone to have them look up the codes and it said it had to deal with the transmission, he told me to get the transmission fluid checked. I got the transmission fluid checked and it was perfectly fine.. Still freaking on the way home from work (25 mile to and fro) on monday (2/15/10) my check engine light went off.. Oh goodness what a relief. NOW today I was driving my girlfriend to work and right when I dropped her off and put the car in drive and to my complete HORROR (I read almost every complaint on this site on monday) it would not go any faster than 5mph with the rpms revving...................... :(

Please Honda do something about this :(

- , Neosho, MO, USA

Dec 302009

Civic 4 cyl

Add us to the list of victims! Transmission failed at 137,000 miles. Our story is the same as all the others posted here. The transmission slipped then just stopped working. Estimate of $2600 to rebuild. I'll be contacting Honda but doubt it will do much good. So we're looking at spending $2600 to fix a car that is worth at most $4,000. This really sucks. I have always been a faithful Honda and Toyota owner, but I'm seriously reconsidering after this and the recent Toyota debacle. Has anyone been able to get any reimbursement from Honda for these transmission problems?

- , Los Angeles, CA, USA

Feb 122010

Civic LX

I just found this website and want to say THANK YOU!! I TOO just had my transmission DIE on me on 2/12/10, and had it towed to the Honda dealer. They said that the transmission died and are going to call me back on Monday or Tues with an estimate on the costs. My car is in good condition (minus the transmission) and only worth about $4-5000. I have not had any problems w/ it at all until now. You can count me in on sueing Honda to pay for fixing the transmissions! I bought a Honda because my Dad had one yrs ago, and it lasted him over 200,000 miles! Now how do we get Honda to recall & pay as the people did with there Toyota's???? I am another MAD Honda owner....having to decide on wether to shell out over $3k or buy me an older small car for under $5k....which is about all the Kelley Blue Books says it is worth (running)????!!!!

- , Austin, TX, USA

Feb 042010

Civic LX 1.7L

You can add me to the growing list of transmission failure victims. 2001 civic with 150,000 miles. Had the tranny fluid changed at 100K and still it died the other day right in the driveway. The day before dying it was making a squealing/whining sound but I thought it was the serpentine belt or the alternator and was going to have it looked at by the dealership the following weekend. Well, I never made it that far but I was able to limp about 5 miles to a small, locally owned transmission shop. 4 days and $2,200 later I'm back on the road with a rebuilt transmission.

In the time my car was in the shop I found this website and read all the complaints for this problem. I consider myself lucky to have gone 150K before it happened and that it didn't die on me someplace totally inconvenient. I've read the your horror stories here and I feel bad for some of the folks who were not as fortunate as I.

I'm a Honda loyalist going back 40 years and I've driven noting but this make since 1980. In the past 30 years I've owned 9 civics. That includes at least one of all 8 generations, (my first was a 1st-gen '78 hatchback) I've also owned 2 Accords and a CRV in that time. In their (Honda's) defense this is the first time any of them have let me down, Ever. And I drive all my vehicles a minimum of 150K before even considering trading them in.

Thinking this background might earn me some sympathy, and possible financial assistance, I conveyed all this on the phone to the customer complaint person at Honda of America in CA. The best they claimed they would do is to let the local dealership handle it because "dealerships have a special relationship to the parent company" and it was up to them to arrange any assistance consideration. A call was immediately placed to the local dealership's service manager (where the new car was purchased by me-along with two others prior to that) and I once again explained my history and brand loyalty. I was respectfully told while it was admirable to be loyal to the brand that because of the age of the car, the mileage and the fact that I had the transmission fluid changed someplace other than the dealership (took it to a local speedy-lube place 50K earlier) it negated my getting any type of assistance. Frankly, I'm not surprised or upset based on the reality of MY situation.

That'ôs not to say some of you have not been treated fairly because clearly, you haven't, and you should pursue whatever means appropriate to correct your individual situation. For what it's worth, my opinion is a car that hasn't even made it to the first recommended fluid change at 90K should be covered. But, in defense of the brand (and for full disclosure) in the past 4 decades both myself and my family have logged over 1.5 Million miles in (or on) Honda products. And that's a conservative estimate.

Since I've owned my Hondas the only things of service they typically need are oil, filters, exhausts, brakes and belts (serpentine and timing). Occasionally an alternator or battery. After 9 years and 150K miles considering that rebuilding a transmission is the first major repairs I'm putting into a vehicle makes me think I got a pretty good product. The engine in this car runs strong and doesn't burn a drop of oil, the body is perfect and it's still got the factory original exhaust and battery. Damn good for having been subjected to 10 New England winters.

So before any you make a rash decision to swear off the brand for good remember that there isn't a vehicle out there that does not have (or will to develop over time) some form of problem. Some minor, some more serious or even dangerous. Toyota strangely comes to mind right now...hmm, I wonder why? But, to be fair I actually owned a Toyota Corona before buying my first Honda and it was a great car.

I understand people get attached to their vehicles and I'm no different but they're just complex machines after all. Conceived, engineered and built by imperfect beings. Bear in mind that all mechanical devices are prone to break eventually and we learn from our mistakes. To my knowledge this problem in the transmission was corrected on subsequent models and it no longer plagues the brand.

Will I buy another Honda? Absolutely. And probably never regret it. But, if it's a used model I'll be sure to revisit this website first! (see what I mean about leaning from our mistakes)

- , Leominster, MA, USA

Feb 052010

Civic LX 1.7L

Bought 2001 honda civic lx in 2001. had it since, bone stock, basically babied it. At 60K miles, tranny failed, and under warranty, instead of giving me a new tranny hansel honda of petaluma decides to give me a rebuilt tranny with 50K miles, not giving me a choice. This was in 05-06 and since then i have put 80K miles on the second tranny. The other day this one fails on me also. I am now out of warranty and basically have to either dish out $3K for a tranny from honda plus pay for labor OR buy from auto dismantlers for $1K and pay for labor. Either way im screwed for a car that is worth about $4-5 grand.

There has to be a freaking recall on these transmissions... this is outrages. I am going to send in a complaint to a local tv station here so that they can show the public what is going on(we have a segment where the news channel helps local people with these kinds of situations). Its sad though the dealerships should acknowledge the problem and help cover the cost fully or at least partially.

- , San Francisco, CA, USA

Jan 052010

Civic ES 4

Yesterday - I didn't know this site existed. That was before my son called from college-town, said he'd been diagnosed as needing new tranny on the 2001 Civic. Earlier, dealer completed check - had suggested it might need a sensor. Now, car is stopped - and new tranny call comes from local garage. So... I found this site just now, and wanted to add this to the list. I just wasn't aware Hondas had the problem - looks like I'll be getting in line behind all of the other posters here, to purchase a new tranny for the kid!

- , Sarasota, FL, USA