CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2001 Civic has transmission problems, transmission problems & more transmission problems. Did we mention transmission problems? And a dangerous defect with the front airbag that didn't get recalled for 10 years.

Although eventually the defective 2001 Civic airbag inflators were fixed under recalls in 2011 & 2013, that meant for 10 to 12 years airbags were activating with excessive force where metal fragments went shooting into passengers when the airbag deployed.

As for the 2001 Civic's transmission woes? Honda conducted a major transmission recall in 2004 & settled a class action lawsuit for defective transmissions in 2006. But, neither the recall or the lawsuit included the 2001 Civic.

Last thing to consider - the 2001 Civic is the most-recalled car ever, closely followed by the 2002 Civic & the 2001 Accord. The 2001 Civic is the 4th most-recalled vehicle overall, only a Ford truck & two Ford vans have more.

9.3

$2,335.00

1. replaced transmission (254 reports)
  2. rebuilt whole transmission (151 reports)
  4. get Honda to cover the cost (54 reports)
  5. buy a different car...can't afford the repair (23 reports)
  6. break down the transmission and fix (15 reports)
2001 Honda Civic transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Honda Civic:

2001 Honda Civic Owner Comments (Page 16 of 34)

Jan 032010

Civic DX 1.7L

transmission missed a few shifts , service engine light came on , so I changed the fluid , as our manual says it should be changed at 120,000 miles (or earlier if dirty) , and I know clean fluid is a good thing . No help . Called dealer , who told me that error code " incorrect gear ratio " means " replace trans " !!!! Great . 70,000 miles on a car that my wife drove with great care , she wanted it to last . Dealer tells me that a factory rebuilt trans is $3750.00 installed . This car is hard to work on , many things are torqued on with locktite ( pulley wheel on crank ) , making something simple like a timing belt / water pump a major pain . I will not buy another Honda ( she wanted a new CRV !!! ) . Next car will be a forester . I sure hope it's not a lemon like the 01 civic .

- , Yucaipa, CA, USA

Dec 282009

Civic LX

Same thing happened to me. Few days ago it felt like the gears were slipping around 25-30 mph. Today as I was driving, it suddenly started revving and would go no where. I purchased this car for Honda's reputation for reliability and am extremely upset to see they are doing NOTHING about this problem. This could be a very dangerous problem. The roads were extremely slippery when my car died and I am lucky no one rear ended me.

HONDA SHOULD OWN UP TO THIS

- , Akron, OH, USA

Dec 242009

Civic LX

We had no idea. None. Until it happened to us. We got the car ready for our xmas trip to L.A., tune-up, oil change, and general maintenance. This was on Tuesday, the 22nd. We even drove it 90 miles to Santa Cruz that evening, and back again. Worked perfectly. The next day, on the 23rd, coming home from work, my partner and our son were driving down a hill, and stopped at a light. When the light turned, the car barely moved, even though the gas was pressed and the rpms revved up. He was lucky enough to pull over, turn the car off, and wait a little. Turning it on again, the car started moving at 5 mi./hr. and he parked by our house. We were going to L.A. the next day, and this was going to completely ruin Christmas. Luckily we were able to borrow a car from family, and go have xmas in L.A. Just got back, and the car won't move at all. Called around, and it seems that even transmission mechanics are very aware of this problem, changing dead trannies on these Civics. One guy told us that he's doing tons of these right now, it'll be about $2000. Why hasn't Honda recalled these machines????

Any one know how to start a class action? I think that is the only way to make Honda pay attention and listen to us, its customers.

- , San Francisco, CA, USA

Dec 112009

Hi,

Another mad Civic owner. Just had my transmission fail like everybody else, couple of days of not shifting and building the rpms. At this point, I haven't made a decision on how to move forward.

I have a couple questions: 1. for those that replaced transmission, do you fear it will just happen again with the new one? 2. for those who rebuilt their transmission, what changes did your mechanic make to prevent the problem from occuring

For ALL, how long after replacing/rebuilding your transmission has your car continued to work without problems?

Just trying to figure out if it is worth it or not to fix this problem.

Thanks

- , Somerville, MA, USA

Dec 132009

Civic LX

I am the original owner of my 2001 Honda Civic Lx - it has 65,000 miles on it. I've always had it serviced at my local honda dealership. Last weekend I was left STRANDED. My honda just quit! I had it towed to the dealership and could not believe it when they told me I needed a new transmission. I did not begin to lose faith in honda until I found this site. I decided to call Honda Corp to discuss my concern for their faulty product. They took no responsibility. Due to the age...blah blah blah - they could not assist me. They are not responsible for parts that stop working after the warranty. When I questioned the information I found on line, "Chris" informed me that they don't get their information online. Maybe you should Chris! That is where your customers do! The customer service stinks! I am so disappointed in Honda. They just lost another customer....

- , Erie, PA, USA

Sep 122009

Civic ES

THIS IS THE SECOND TIME THAT THE TRANSMISSION HAS FAILED ON THIS CAR AND COULD HAVE CAUSED AN ACCIDENT OR SERIOUS INJURY . THIS IS A DESIGN FAILURE

AND SHOULD BE RECALLED. IF TOYOTA CAN RECALL FOR A SIMPLE GAS PEDAL DEFECT THIS IS MUCH WORSE AND JUST AS DANGEROUS.

- , San Diego, CA, USA

Dec 072009

Civic EX

The transmission failed today. I'm about at 104,000 miles. Yesterday the engine light had started to come on at start-up ONLY, but I thought it was letting me know I had another maintenance coming up soon. I keep up with dutiful maintenance - at 98,000 miles I replaced the timing belt, water pump, then transmission flush, brake flush, coolant flush -and new headlight lamps.

I noticed a sort of high-pitched whine recently and my boyfriend said it could be the belts needed adjusting from the recent work, but under the hood, he said it sounded as if it was coming from the transmission. He checked the fluids which seemed fine. 12 hours later, on my way to work, the car just wouldn't accelerate and I turned around to go home. I went to back the car into the driveway, assuming it would need to be towed and it wouldn't move. I pushed it and got it rolling down a hill to park it where it could be towed. Thank goodness I was still in the neighborhood and not stuck in rush-hour traffic or that last ten minutes of the leg to work at 65 mph trying to pass a dump truck. AND thank goodness I updated my AAA membership as the towing was covered there.

My mechanic (NOT HONDA) has told me it will be $1670.75 for a used transmission from the junk yard with a 90-day warranty. He said he has pretty good luck with these. A rebuilt unit is $2040 with a 1-year warranty and the transmission straight from the dealer is $2720 - better warranty, can't remember how long. These include labor and tax. He said you could buy a torque converter - which seems to be the problem - however, you still have to tear apart the tranny to get to the filter...and it's not worth the labor. He said he wouldn't spend the money on the new one from Honda, plus it would add at least 3 days to the repair time to order/receive.

My only good news is that I'm headed to San Jose for the rest of the week for work and as far as a time to have car work done 0 the timing is good as my commute is 25 miles each way to work.

I considered getting another car but he said the value will drop considerably without a working transmission. I'm going with the middle option as I'm not sure when I can afford to turn the car in and get a new one - I've just gotten a job after a seven-month layoff.

I have been a Honda gal for about 20 years, and my step-dad still has a 1989 prelude that has a gazillion miles on it that has just recently become too much to keep on fixing. So much for this 2001 Civic purchase. I almost bought a new Honda Civic a year ago when I knew it was time to replace the timing belt, but didn't like the new body style (couldn't see out the back/side), and was crushed that I'd have to consider another make next time around. I'm not so concerned now, the decision has become easier - I'm thinking a Toyota is in my future! I'm all for a class action law suit to recoup my costs and save others from issues or even accidents.

- , Charlotte, NC, USA

Nov 172009

Civic EX

Driving along and the car just quit. It would not move any more. I have transmission failure like all the others on here.

- , Camden, SC, USA

Jul 022009

Civic DX 1.7L

second time I've had to replace the transmission in my 2001 civic.

- , Farmington, UT, USA

Nov 212009

Civic LX 1.4L

Honda driven in town most of the time. No hard driving and on towing. Trans started slipping and trans fluid turned dark and burnt. Trans failure to the point the car would not move.

- , Aptos, CA, USA

Nov 202009

Civic LX 4 cyl

As many of these other people have said, without any warning, my transmission decided to go out on me today. I began to accelerate on a major four lane road when my engine began to rev like it was stuck in 1st/2nd gear. I thankfully made it into a parking lot and restarted the car and drove it around only to find that my car stayed in 1st gear. I was able to switch gears and drive in reverse and forward a few times but, after a little bit (5 minutes or so of driving in the parking lot), my car was stuck in neutral. This problem just happened tonight so I am unsure if it is a full transmission failure, although it probably is.

The only warning that I think MAY be related is a couple months ago, in August, my car overheated for seemingly no reason on my way to work. At first we believed it was a crack in the radiator, a hose leak, or (at worst case) a blown cylinder head gasket. After extensive testing, we found out that there was nothing visibly wrong with it, and maybe a fan had just decided to quit working due to a blown fuse or something of that nature. However, from reading these complaints, I am afraid this failure of the fan was due to the build up of transmission fluid. If this ends up costing what I think it will, I will be purchasing a brand new vehicle and trading this terrible one in.

- , College Station, TX, USA

Sep 122007

Civic 4 DR 4 cyl

Clutch pads cracked in the transmission after 65,000 miles!

Dealer repair estimate was $4000! Did not use dealer for repair.

I used a local mechanic at $2683.

Dealer warranty for a rebuilt unit: 36,000 miles or 3 years

Dealer warranty for a new unit: 12,000 miles or 12 months

Honda does not stand behind this transmission!!

- , St. Louis, MO, USA

Jul 232009

• CVT transmission

Have only ever heard great things about Honda's and I loved my 01 Civic ex getting 30+ miles to the gallon.... Until the transmission started slipping and then completely failed with a replacement cost of $2,500 to $3,500. Talked with two reliable mechanics and both said the CVT transmission is crap and well known for failure. Both actually said it was not worth getting fixed because it would just happen again!

Leaves me with no car and a lot of grief over a company I thought was making super reliable and efficient cars.

- , Charleston, SC, USA

Nov 152009

Civic EX

Looks like my 01 Civic EX is one of many here with transmission problems. I didn't realize how bad this yr/model was until I came across this site. Transmission failed without any warning, the engine would rev, but the car just wouldn't go. Now I'm looking at $3.5K for a rebuild on a car worth maybe $6K. I hate to do it, but the car has been well taken care of and is in otherwise excellent condition. I bought this Honda 4 yrs ago based on Honda's reputation for quality and longevity. Boy was I wrong! I can't believe Honda has not made good on this major problem and offered some sort of recall.

- , Danbury, CT, USA

Oct 282009

Civic LX 4 cyl

Unfortunately, I was on my way to see my best friend in the hospital 70 miles away and right when I turned to park, my car was running, but rpm's went up and I pushed the gas and nothing happened. After it rested awhile, it moved some in lower drive gears, but then rpm's would rev up again and the car wouldn't move. I found information online about calling Honda's customer service at 1-800-900-1009 instead of the dealer and inquire about a "goodwill repair" for those who are out of warranty. I called and they said they don't have that program and I would need to take my car to Honda to have it diagnosed. I am a student and unemployed and am not paying to tow my car to them when I know it's the transmission. The sad thing is I just had a tune-up in July and my car was just paid off. No warning signs at all the transmission was going to take a dump. I am highly ticked off. Everyone that has complained online talks of a class action lawsuit and I think we all need to get together and do it! Honda obviously doesn't give a crap about any of the 2001 Civic transmission failures.

- , Columbia, SC, USA

Nov 062009

Civic EX 1.7L

Same sh*t different pile (Honda). Transmission slipping to the point that the car will not move. I have never once in my life had a transmission problem that was not directly caused by me. This car is my daily driver commute car. I drive it like an old lady (mostly because it is slower than hell and isnt even fun if I do try to go fast). I abuse my WRX.

I bought this car thinking it would be a good, reliable car to get me to and from work....WRONG. From what I understand, the non-servicable transmission filter starts to gunk up hindering fluid flow. The transmission now opperates hotter than it should causing some of the clutch discs to flake (this is the initial slipping that some people may feel) the clutch disc particles then almost fully clog the filter, allowing the transmission to heat up enough to damage the torque converter. Once the torque converter is screwed the car doesnt go anywhere. But that is just a guess. I havn't taken it apart yet, and I don't know the first thing about an automatic transmission. I do IT networking for a living.

- , Honolulu, HI, USA

Jun 082009

Civic LX

My transmission failed twice and was replaced. What a piece of crap. I bought Honda for the reliabilty. Not in this case... HONDA wake up

- , California, MD, USA

Jun 112008

Civic LX 1.7L

I bought My Honda Civic 2001 Lx When it was 34K and I drove it for a few years, and my Transmission just went bad with no resent warning, I had it always maintained on time, but in 2008 I had the first Transmission Failure I tried to re-built it but it was Cheaper to buy an other one. at that time my car was about 95K, Well guess what after about 20K more or less I got the same Problem Transmission Failure contacted Honda Customer service they said they can't help the warranty has expired and they can't cover someone Else's work, what if Honda has a decent pricing to fix these kind of Problems that it well known about that particular year. now my car is about 120K. and I had to fix it again. MY ADVICE TO ALL PEOPLE IF YOU HAVE A 2001 HONDA CIVIC PLEAAAAAAAAAASE GO RETURN IT AND GET AN OTHER CAR, NISSAN TOYOTA SCION CHEVY ANYTHING BUT THE HONDA, NO HELP NO UNDERSTANDING. I REFUSE TO BUY ANOTHER HONDA. by the way the transmission controller ( solenoid ) will fail as well. be careful coast from Honda Dealer $350 ridicules.

- , Orlando, FL, USA

Nov 012009

Civic EX

I was dumbfounded today to find that I needed my transmission replaced today! I've been a Honda Gal for years and years, but seeing all these complaints for the same car, same year, I'm amazed there hasn't been a recall. I guess people will have to die for Honda to do anything about it, if they ever do.

I bought this car new and have always maintained it better than the schedule suggested by the manual.. Driving home from another city on Sunday, all of the sudden I couldn't get the accelerator to work. I had to put it in D2 and D3 in order to make it home. 40 mph was the max it would go. Thank GOD I wasn't on the interstate or a long distance away! Today I was able to get it to my trusted mechanic who's shop is only 2 miles from home. He said the transmission fluid was totally pristine but the transmission was "damaged somehow" and would have to be replaced. He's replacing it with another transmission with 71,000 miles on it and a 6 month warranty. Sheesh! So in a year is this going to happen again????????

Update from Nov 6, 2009: My exTREMEly good mechanic found out the problem! The fan in the radiator that cools the hot fluid coming from the transmission, that is supposed to send the fluid back cooled, failed. If your's hasn't failed yet, run and get that fan mechanism replaced! Do NOT use a Honda part for this or you'll be in the same shape again! Hopefully this will save SOMEone from misery and a huge expense. If you replace your transmission with another, unless you change out the defective part, it'll fail as well

I'll be contacting Honda when I retrieve my car and have my bill in front of me and let you know what, if anything, kind of help on this or response on this I get. .

- , Woodstock, GA, USA

Oct 232009

Civic EX

I was on a busy interstate during rush hour coming out of Atlanta...I tap the gas to accelerate, and the car just stopped going!! Next, the check engine light comes on, and I am fortunate enough to get off the four lane into the shoulder. It is a miracle that I wasn't hit averaging 20mph trying to get to the shoulder. There were no signs of a problem; I was completely shocked as I have babied the hell out of this car.

While I realize things happen, no matter what type of car or how old...I have long esteemed hondas as long lasting vehicles that will last well over 100,000-200,000 miles. In fact, I talked my dad into buying my sister a new 2009 Civic just this August because I loved mine sooo much...Rest, assured my family won't be buying another, and if I have my way, she will trade hers ASAP.

I don't feel safe driving this car after this happened and will probably only get a cheap fix to trade it. What really upsets me about this whole experience is that I had the car towed to the Honda dealer...and they actually acted shocked that this happened.

Gauging from the number of complaints on the internet, this obviously was complete BS on their part. Not cool, I will not purchase or recommend Honda in the future based on this terrible experience and that the company is completely unapologetic AND the fact that you can't have this trans. rebuilt..you have to buy a newly "rebuilt" one from Honda. So, not only was my car a rolling time bomb, but they don't care and want to stick it to us while we are already down. This should be a recall on this model! F you Honda...

- , Atlanta, GA, USA