CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2001 Civic has transmission problems, transmission problems & more transmission problems. Did we mention transmission problems? And a dangerous defect with the front airbag that didn't get recalled for 10 years.

Although eventually the defective 2001 Civic airbag inflators were fixed under recalls in 2011 & 2013, that meant for 10 to 12 years airbags were activating with excessive force where metal fragments went shooting into passengers when the airbag deployed.

As for the 2001 Civic's transmission woes? Honda conducted a major transmission recall in 2004 & settled a class action lawsuit for defective transmissions in 2006. But, neither the recall or the lawsuit included the 2001 Civic.

Last thing to consider - the 2001 Civic is the most-recalled car ever, closely followed by the 2002 Civic & the 2001 Accord. The 2001 Civic is the 4th most-recalled vehicle overall, only a Ford truck & two Ford vans have more.

9.3

$2,333.00

1. replaced transmission (257 reports)
  2. rebuilt whole transmission (153 reports)
  4. get Honda to cover the cost (54 reports)
  5. buy a different car...can't afford the repair (23 reports)
  6. break down the transmission and fix (15 reports)
2001 Honda Civic transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Honda Civic:

2001 Honda Civic Owner Comments (Page 17 of 34)

Nov 062009

Civic EX 1.7L

Same sh*t different pile (Honda). Transmission slipping to the point that the car will not move. I have never once in my life had a transmission problem that was not directly caused by me. This car is my daily driver commute car. I drive it like an old lady (mostly because it is slower than hell and isnt even fun if I do try to go fast). I abuse my WRX.

I bought this car thinking it would be a good, reliable car to get me to and from work....WRONG. From what I understand, the non-servicable transmission filter starts to gunk up hindering fluid flow. The transmission now opperates hotter than it should causing some of the clutch discs to flake (this is the initial slipping that some people may feel) the clutch disc particles then almost fully clog the filter, allowing the transmission to heat up enough to damage the torque converter. Once the torque converter is screwed the car doesnt go anywhere. But that is just a guess. I havn't taken it apart yet, and I don't know the first thing about an automatic transmission. I do IT networking for a living.

- , Honolulu, HI, USA

Jun 082009

Civic LX

My transmission failed twice and was replaced. What a piece of crap. I bought Honda for the reliabilty. Not in this case... HONDA wake up

- , California, MD, USA

Jun 112008

Civic LX 1.7L

I bought My Honda Civic 2001 Lx When it was 34K and I drove it for a few years, and my Transmission just went bad with no resent warning, I had it always maintained on time, but in 2008 I had the first Transmission Failure I tried to re-built it but it was Cheaper to buy an other one. at that time my car was about 95K, Well guess what after about 20K more or less I got the same Problem Transmission Failure contacted Honda Customer service they said they can't help the warranty has expired and they can't cover someone Else's work, what if Honda has a decent pricing to fix these kind of Problems that it well known about that particular year. now my car is about 120K. and I had to fix it again. MY ADVICE TO ALL PEOPLE IF YOU HAVE A 2001 HONDA CIVIC PLEAAAAAAAAAASE GO RETURN IT AND GET AN OTHER CAR, NISSAN TOYOTA SCION CHEVY ANYTHING BUT THE HONDA, NO HELP NO UNDERSTANDING. I REFUSE TO BUY ANOTHER HONDA. by the way the transmission controller ( solenoid ) will fail as well. be careful coast from Honda Dealer $350 ridicules.

- , Orlando, FL, US

Nov 012009

Civic EX

I was dumbfounded today to find that I needed my transmission replaced today! I've been a Honda Gal for years and years, but seeing all these complaints for the same car, same year, I'm amazed there hasn't been a recall. I guess people will have to die for Honda to do anything about it, if they ever do.

I bought this car new and have always maintained it better than the schedule suggested by the manual.. Driving home from another city on Sunday, all of the sudden I couldn't get the accelerator to work. I had to put it in D2 and D3 in order to make it home. 40 mph was the max it would go. Thank GOD I wasn't on the interstate or a long distance away! Today I was able to get it to my trusted mechanic who's shop is only 2 miles from home. He said the transmission fluid was totally pristine but the transmission was "damaged somehow" and would have to be replaced. He's replacing it with another transmission with 71,000 miles on it and a 6 month warranty. Sheesh! So in a year is this going to happen again????????

Update from Nov 6, 2009: My exTREMEly good mechanic found out the problem! The fan in the radiator that cools the hot fluid coming from the transmission, that is supposed to send the fluid back cooled, failed. If your's hasn't failed yet, run and get that fan mechanism replaced! Do NOT use a Honda part for this or you'll be in the same shape again! Hopefully this will save SOMEone from misery and a huge expense. If you replace your transmission with another, unless you change out the defective part, it'll fail as well

I'll be contacting Honda when I retrieve my car and have my bill in front of me and let you know what, if anything, kind of help on this or response on this I get. .

- , Woodstock, GA, USA

Oct 232009

Civic EX

I was on a busy interstate during rush hour coming out of Atlanta...I tap the gas to accelerate, and the car just stopped going!! Next, the check engine light comes on, and I am fortunate enough to get off the four lane into the shoulder. It is a miracle that I wasn't hit averaging 20mph trying to get to the shoulder. There were no signs of a problem; I was completely shocked as I have babied the hell out of this car.

While I realize things happen, no matter what type of car or how old...I have long esteemed hondas as long lasting vehicles that will last well over 100,000-200,000 miles. In fact, I talked my dad into buying my sister a new 2009 Civic just this August because I loved mine sooo much...Rest, assured my family won't be buying another, and if I have my way, she will trade hers ASAP.

I don't feel safe driving this car after this happened and will probably only get a cheap fix to trade it. What really upsets me about this whole experience is that I had the car towed to the Honda dealer...and they actually acted shocked that this happened.

Gauging from the number of complaints on the internet, this obviously was complete BS on their part. Not cool, I will not purchase or recommend Honda in the future based on this terrible experience and that the company is completely unapologetic AND the fact that you can't have this trans. rebuilt..you have to buy a newly "rebuilt" one from Honda. So, not only was my car a rolling time bomb, but they don't care and want to stick it to us while we are already down. This should be a recall on this model! F you Honda...

- , Atlanta, GA, USA

Oct 092009

Civic DX 1.7L

I called Honda to see if they would cover the cost or help. They asked for the mileage on the car, then said no. I talked to an expert mechanic and he said the reason why the 2001 Honda Civic transmissions fail is because you can't replace the filter on them. Why they sell filter kits for these piece of junk cars, I have no idea. But Honda won't recall them and as you can see the 2001 Civic made the #3 Worst Car on the list for a reason. I used to buy only Japanese cars but I'm now open to any other brand EXCEPT Honda.

- , Clovis, CA, USA

Oct 192009

Civic LX 1.7L

Was driving to work, about 40 miles one way, and it started slipping between 2nd and 3rd. I thought it would make it to work and back but I was wrong. I made it 30 miles and it crapped out on me. Had it towed to the nearest shop and was quoted around $2300 for a rebuilt unit from Honda. Here's the underlying story -- I was in the process of selling my supposedly reliable car to a neighbor's relative in about a week for around $3000 or so. Well that just might fall through due to this current problem. But at least my neighbor's weren't stranded on the Turnpike headed to Maryland where the car was to find a third home with an 87 yr. old woman. Hey, anyone want to buy a 2001 Civic??? It's still great on gas... Now the good news....I have a guy who is towing my car back to my home town and can probably get a used tranny put in for about 1200-1400 bucks. We also might work something out where he'll sell it and we'll split the difference.

Anyway it's just the a car and this is the reason why I like to have 3 cars in the family.

- , Port Jervis, NY, USA

Oct 262009

Civic DS 4 cyl

while driving my grandson to the YMCA my car was driving fine. I stopped at a red light and when the light changed I pressed on the gas but it would not move at all. I tried shutting off the motor and restarting the car but again the car would not move at all. I had to be towed. Right now it is at the Honda dealership awaiting a solution.

- , Tucson, AZ, US

Oct 112009

Civic LX 4 cyl

You buy a Honda civic because you have always hear that they will last forever.Bull! At 115,000 miles the tranny goes out on my son on his way from out of town. No warning ,just driving along and the rpms go up and nothing. This is after we had to replace the torque converter at 79,000 miles. I couldn't remember (torque converter)when thinking what to tell mechanic about car before I took it in,so I typed in brand,type,year,and up popped auto beef with hundreds of similar complaints! I was floored!!! I called the dealer where we bought the car new,explained what happened and what I found at auto beef to see if they might help with repair cost . He said that with age of car and mileage chances were slim to nothing but bring it in they had to check it out to be sure! I would have had to get it towed 35 miles for that! Took it to my local mechanic and they put in a used tranny with 29,000 miles on it for 1,400.00 out the door.We probably will not be buying another Honda anytime soon!!!

- , Valparaiso, IN, US

Oct 162009

Civic EX

I'm so mad. About three or four days before my whole transmission took a crap, I noticed that my gears were "slipping" going into third gear, obviously making driving around the town a pain. I was on the freeway in the middle of rush hour traffic when all of a sudden, my car is trying to accelerate past 30 MPH and won't go. My RPM's were shooting up to the red zone but I was not moving. It was so scary!! I had to get off at the next exit going slow and called AAA to tow the stupid car to my mechanic. $1800 and a week later, I should have my car back. But as of right now, I'm walking everywhere. :(

- , Los alamitos, CA, USA

Oct 152009

Civic EX

For the past couple of days my 2001 Honda Civic Ex started to make a high pitched whistling sound and when i got to 25-30mph the engine would rev up, but my speed wouldn't change. I heard about the 2001 transmission issues and I was afraid that this was going to be my destiny. Surely enough today it has happened...my transmission failed. Thank goodness I was close to home, but the car had to be pushed a couple of blocks. The Check Engine light went on and not even 30 seconds later, it failed. I can't believe that Honda won't do anything about this. Why leave your customers unhappy and wanting to switch to a different company? More than likely it's a money issue. I unfortunately had to rent a car and I'll probably have to max out my high interest rate credit cards to get this thing fixed. I can assure you, that I will not buy another Honda in the future and it's sad because my family has been a Honda family for over 25 years. I will thank Honda now on behalf of other car companies for making me lose faith in a company that my family and I have been loyal to for so many years. Thank you Honda, thank you...

- , Williamsville, NY, USA

Oct 052009

Civic LX 1.7L

This was a Honda Certified used car, we bought 3 years ago for my Son. He drove it back from college last week and reported a "check engine" light on. My diagnostic computer pulled the 0740 code, indicating the infamous transmission problem. We have had 3 other Hondas and never had any problems. Honda refuses any help, due to it being 1 year out of warranty with 115,000 miles.

- , Fremont, CA, USA

Oct 102009

Civic EX

Just like everyone else on here I have a 2001 Honda Civic EX....but I'm the only one on here with the lowest mileage (28,000 miles). I hardly ever drive this damn car and the transmission went out on me last night at 2am in the "bad part of town." I was coming home from work and was at a stop sign and pressed the gas to go and it just revved. I got it to a gas station and was freaking out and crying because I keep this car in good shape. I had it towed to my house for 93 dollars!!! I have to call someone tomorrow to fix this crap. For now I'm having family drive me, which is inconvenient for them. Honda needs to realize there is a true defect in the 2001 civic transmissions. We need to get a class action lawsuit going on here. Whoever had HondaComplaints@gmail.com please update us if you got a lawyer to handle the lawsuit because I am not paying 3,000 for a new transmission. I should sell it and get a Toyota Corolla because they are more reliable. My car was just at the dealer for an oil change and a few months ago had the 30,000 mile service even though it's not even at 30,000 miles. I even had the brake fluid and power fluid changed at an independent honda place because the dealer wanted $200 and the independent wanted $150. I bought this car brand new from Scott Robinson Honda in Torrance February 6, 2001. It had 6 miles on it when I bought it. I saw another guy on here named "Mohammed" who took his car to Scott Robinson Honda in Torrance and they told him if the car had under 36,000 miles on it that they would fix it. I don't think he had a warranty on it, because warranties usually go 3 year/36,000 miles. Honda has to stop playing dumb and issue a recall for this. If Toyota can issue a recall for floor mats causing accidents after someone is killed then is Honda going to wait until someone gets hit from the back when their car stalls out on the freeway. Thank god I was on a residential street that had no traffic. My car's interior is falling apart too. Both sun visors have rips and the mirror closure is flopping/sagging. Even the rubber piece on the drivers side door trim is falling apart and there is silver metal exposed.I had to buy 2 new sun visors on ebay to replace because Honda sucks.My upholstery is sagging too. I tried to glue it but it looks worse. I'm thinking of using safety pins....and it's not just my car. I notice other 2001 Honda civics on the road and i see the sagging upholstery and I see the chipping plastic on the bottom of the door window frame! I see on here that the interior is the number 2 complaint on here. I took the car in to the dealer for the driver side airbag recall. They had to re pack my airbags because people were getting killed when the air bag deployed because shards of plastic and metal were flying out cutting people's face and damaging eyes!

Honda- Do a couple of hundred people have to die until you issue a recall for the faulty transmission!!!!!!!!!!!

Update from Nov 3, 2009: UPDATE: I had Honda of America agree to "reimburse" me for half the cost of the transmission repair. I still had to pay $1200 dollars as the total cost of the transmission was $2500. What a total rip off. Honda please listen to your customers and ISSUE A RECALL on this piece of junk. REIMBURSE everyone who had to pay for a transmission for this crappy car! I complained to Honda and only got half covered. The guy on the phone said Honda thinks "this is more than fair". Please. Give me a break. Some may think this is fair. I don't think so! If I took good care of this car and did all the scheduled maintenance then my car should still be running great. My next car is a Toyota Corolla or Toyota Camry....but, the next models of those will probably have their transmission blow up too due to a faulty design.

- , Torrance, CA, US

Sep 302009

Civic EX 1.5L

I have maintained regular service at honda certified service centers, been the only owner of my Civic when at 88700 miles the transmission failed all of a sudden. Costs so much to fix- don't know how to proceed..HELP

- , Chicago, IL, USA

Sep 182009

Civic EX 1.7L I-4

My 2001 Honda Civic EX Sedan has been a great car, until last week. I've never had any problems. The only repairs have been normal wear and tear items like brakes, tires, oil changes, etc.. Had the timing belt service at 105,000 miles. There was never a hint of a problem. Last week driving home everything was fine. Got off the highway, went a couple blocks, stopped at a stop sign and when I went to start up again, the engine revved and that was it. None of the forward gears or reverse worked at all. Had to have it towed to Honda. Their diagnosis was internal failure. I was told that Honda does not allow the individual dealers to tear the transmissions apart to find the actual problem. They said they'd need to replace with a rebuilt one from Honda. The cost $3067. I'm still debating what to do. With absolutely no warning that something was going wrong I'm more than slightly upset. It seems like many others have had similar problems. I'm hoping something comes of all these complaints. I for one plan on calling Honda customer service directly to complain.

- , Geneva, IL, US

Nov 052007

Civic EX 1.7L

Honda of America helped me with 50% of the cost of replacing the transmission with a rebuilt transmission, they installed it and now I have 3yr 36,000 warranty.

- , Gahanna, OH, USA

Sep 192009

Civic EX 1.7L

I bought a 2001 Honda EX coupe for my daughter with 84,000 orig miles on it from a neighbor dirt cheap ($3000), only to have it less than a year & tranny failure. My daughter was driving & the car just stopped moving no warning, nothing. She called me we had to tow it home. On Monday, I thought that HOnda would help so I asked them to tow it to their shop BIG MISTAKE. their respomse. "YOU NEED A NEW TRANNY, & THE VALUE OF THE CAR IS WORTH NOTHING" NOW keep in mind I was told this by the svc MGR & the General MGR. I am paying for the rip off towing 15 miles & getting the car out of there because they want $3025 plus labor for a new tranny, but I know damn well it will be a re-built one. PLEASE I NEED TO KNOW WHO STARTED A CIVIL SUIT SO I CAN ADD MY NAME. Now I know why I got rid of my 06 Honda & thank GOD for that stay with CHEVY, GMC.

barb

- , Sound Beach, NY, USA

Jul 052006

Civic LX 1.7L

Back in 2006, my automatic transmission went out on my 2001 Honda Civic LX at 86,000. Car was at the dealership just a week before for brake work and no indication of trans problems. Fortunately dealership worked with me on the repair cost, and I only had to pay labor. I'm thinking because the mileage was so low and the car was just there the week before, they were going to take care of me. Probably one of the few good stories here. Paid about $500 for labor and got new transmission on Honda.

Replacement now has about 50K on it, and still going good (knock on wood).

- , Vernon Hills, IL, USA

Sep 032009

Civic EX 1.7L

My transmission died yesterday with no warning. I have had my civic for five years and never had any "major" problems with it. Little did I know that my year (2001) is notorious for transmission problems and Honda isn't doing anything about it! I'm all for a class action suit. I haven't had an estimate done on it yet.

- , Clinton Township, MI, US

Aug 012009

Civic LX 1.7L 4 cyl

It was awful:( The transmission showed engine light, and then i was told that it had to go.

- , Morro Bay, CA, USA