CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2001 Civic has transmission problems, transmission problems & more transmission problems. Did we mention transmission problems? And a dangerous defect with the front airbag that didn't get recalled for 10 years.

Although eventually the defective 2001 Civic airbag inflators were fixed under recalls in 2011 & 2013, that meant for 10 to 12 years airbags were activating with excessive force where metal fragments went shooting into passengers when the airbag deployed.

As for the 2001 Civic's transmission woes? Honda conducted a major transmission recall in 2004 & settled a class action lawsuit for defective transmissions in 2006. But, neither the recall or the lawsuit included the 2001 Civic.

Last thing to consider - the 2001 Civic is the most-recalled car ever, closely followed by the 2002 Civic & the 2001 Accord. The 2001 Civic is the 4th most-recalled vehicle overall, only a Ford truck & two Ford vans have more.

9.3

$2,335.00

1. replaced transmission (254 reports)
  2. rebuilt whole transmission (151 reports)
  4. get Honda to cover the cost (54 reports)
  5. buy a different car...can't afford the repair (23 reports)
  6. break down the transmission and fix (15 reports)
2001 Honda Civic transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Honda Civic:

2001 Honda Civic Owner Comments (Page 22 of 34)

Dec 212007

Civic EX 1.7L

I drive this car as a daily commuter and I never ride it rough. My dad blamed me for the transmission failing for using the cruise control so much. One day while driving home from school I just started jerking forward and I had to pull over. A cop saw me because I was blocking traffic. I was embarrassed and annoyed. I love everything else about the car, but not the $4k hole that it burnt in my wallet. I'm still a college kid and money is even tougher to get now.

- , Baltimore, MD, USA

Jan 162009

Civic LX 1.7L 4 cyl Fi

I echo the chorus calling for Honda to take responsibility for the transmission problem in this otherwise great vehicle

- , Elkin, NC, USA

Dec 292008

Civic LX 4c

The reason why you buy a Honda is because of dependability, that's the reason why I bought mine anyway. When I purchased the used vehicle in July of 2007 the last thing I thought would be a problem would be the transmission. A little over a year later I was terribly wrong. I hope that Honda does the correct thing and make a call back on all transmissions for this vehicle. If they do not this will be the last Honda I ever own.

- , Spokane Valley, WA, USA

Nov 132008

Civic LX 1.7L

Like every one else, I expect reliability from HONDA. I got my car from a used dealer with 108,000 miles on the day of January April 1, 2008. I bought the car with a few minor suspension problems but the engine and transmission felt good as i test drove the car. My transmission failure came early one morning while driving to work. Prior to my transmission failing, my gears would sometimes slip outta 5th while riding on the highway. The slipping gear started for me approximately a month before the tranny failed. After exiting the highway, i shift down like all good drivers. As i pulled through the light, and eventually back into 5th gear, the gear slipped from 5th and the gear no longer worked. I could ride the first 4 gears yet 5th gear was gone. I had to ride home in 4th gear. (I had to take the streets home with a speed limit of 45-50mph. being that i put almost 20,000 miles in 7months, I thought the problem came from excessive driving but after finding this site I realized that I was not the only person with this issue. Other than the tranny pissing me off, i have been somewhat satisfied with my car only because I bought it with the intentions of breaking it car down and rebuilding it as a tuner. Its just a shame that I had to spend money to fix issues that should have never happened. $1200 could have done a lot for my car other than REBUILDING a freakin tranny.

- , Atlanta, GA, USA

Jan 082009

Civic EX V4

We bought this car for our 17 year old daughter because "Hondas are the most dependable car that will run for hundreds of thousands of miles". Yeah, right! Anyway, sounds like we got the lemon year for Honda. This is an ongoing problem with this vehicle, 2001 year being the worst. Torque converter blows up and trashes the transmission! Of course we took it to the Honda dealer for a diagnosis, when it was still drivable and got the "Oh, sounds like the transmission needs replaced, that'll be about $4,000!!!!" Do you think they could have told us about the problem with the torque converter before it trashed the whole tranny? Oh NO! Anyway, luckily we have mechanics in the family and they are fixing it for about half the price. Isn't that lucky, only $2000. So if you own a 2001 Civic, dump it before it hits 120K miles.

- , Lebanon, IL, USA

Civic EX

The transmission on this car gave up on me today, I had to tow it to the nearest auto shop and they diagnosed that I have a bad transmission, and will cost me $3000 to fix it. It only has 80K miles on it and is only 7 yrs old. I have filed a complaint with BetterBusinessBureau, and request everybody to do so that at least we can make a case....

here is the link-- https://odr.bbb.org/odrweb/public/ComplaintRedirect.aspx?military=1

Company Name: American Honda Motor Company Incorporated 1919 Torrance Blvd. 500-2N-7A Torrance, CA 90501

- , St Louis, MO, USA

Jun 122008

Civic HX 1.7L

• CVT transmission

I have experienced the same problem as many have you. I have a 2001 Honda Civic HX with 96500 miles at the time of the 1st incident (June 2008). My car was experiencing a jerky movement and I took it to the Honda dealership that was able to duplicate the problem. There was a bulletin on the Honda Recall website. They said the recall warranty was for 7 years/100k miles and since my car was outside of the warranty period, they performed all repairs �as a 100% goodwill per DPSM #25126.�

After the car broke down the 1st time, this is what they did ( condensed version): Clutch and burnishing procedures & start replacement OP CODE# 218511C

95217 Found fault codes P1873 CVT Pulley pressure valve, P1882 reverse inhibitor system, P1890 Shift control malfunctions present. Replaced transvalve body, filter, & programmed PCM/CVT with new updated software. Performed road test & operation of system is now normal.

On October 19,2008, my car broke down and I was unable to drive it home. I had AAA tow it to the dealership thinking it was related to the transmission problem. Here is there finding and repair work:

99082 Found #1 15amp fuse under dash blown. Fuse supplies power to the ignition coils. Found wiring for engine harness shorted. Performed engine harness wiring repair short to ground. Operation of system is now normal. No codes stored & no transmission issues are present.

On December 20th, 2009, my car broke down coming home from work. The �check engine� light came on and the illuminated green around the �D� started flashing. I immediately exited the freeway to a safe area and called AAA. AAA said this is the last tow for the year because I have exhausted the 4 free tows per year ( I used AAA for another car). I had the car towed to the dealership that night and left it in the early morning drop-off. The next morning, the service advisor called me and said the mechanic was able to duplicate the problem. This is his finding:

102099 Transmission INOP technician verified transmission concern on road test. Technician performed trouble shooting, found transmission required for replacement. At this point, the service manager had to contact Honda which took a which had to review my case and determine if they were going to �authorize� a remanufactured transmission. I week later and the service manager said HONDA OK�d the replacement.

Technician installed Honda reman transmission, performed four wheel alignment. All ok at this time. OK American Honda.

After the road test, the technician found a leak in the left axle seal. Technician installed L/F inner axle seal. Submit under defective parts warr.

That is my story and I felt compelled to inform other Honda owners. This car has been very good to me when it�s working. I keep all of the maintenance up to date and even change the oil every 5k miles. I get close to 41 miles per gallon on the highway and this is why it�s my commuter car because I drive close to 400 miles per week to work. When it�s not working, it�s a pain. I suggest everyone that has a problem with their Honda to contact the service department and request a �Goodwill� repair.

- , Tracy, CA, USA

Jan 092009

Civic LX 1.7L

I will never buy a HONDA again !!!

Just cant believe that so many 01 Civics has had this transmission failure.

- , Manchester, MO, USA

Jan 062009

Civic LX 1.7L V4

Drove my son to school but couldn't get the car over 25 mph. On the way home it quit totally and I was stuck by the side of the road. The main reason I bought a brand new Honda was that they are supposedly very reliable...that was a joke. Now I am shopping for a new car since the cost of the transmission work is more than the car is worth.

- , Whitman, MA, USA

Jan 062009

Civic LX 4 cyl

Like other comments on this website, this failure came without warning. Honda America is not interested in assisting me specifically. Honda claims that the number of complaints has not reached a level that warrants a recall. I guess my question is, when does Honda decide it is a problem? I am sure the 200 + comments on this website are not representative of all the transmission failures for this model/year. As with other comments left, Honda has the ability to come out smelling like roses or smelling of something else. It appears they have chose the latter. This is the second honda I have purchased, the third I have owned, seven total in my immediate family. It is a shame that Honda would consider testing my/our loyalty.

- , Columbus, OH, USA

Civic LX 1.7L L4 Pfi Sohc 16v

Honda is supposed to be a reliable car maker.. They don't take responsibility for their transmission issues. I have had so many issues with this car ranging from Power door locks not working, to my power windows not working, all brake lights going out at once, brake issues, My gas mileage took a drastic fall without any reason about 2 weeks ago and I was baffled. I returned from a 12 day trip to Central America and my car was not driven until I returned.. my transmission has major issues with the cold, HATES 3rd gear and first, It seems to work better when warm. I LOVE my car but its problems at this point are really affecting my schedule, pocket book and job. I am thinking about just getting an American made car (that's how fed up I am)

While this car is fun to drive and comfortable I am ready to move on from Honda. and I am shocked that they wont take any part in the transmission issues.. My mother owns a 2000 Honda Odyssey and has gone through THREE yes 3 transmissions. They told us we are driving the cars wrong.. if only they saw this site and how many complaints they have.

- , Seattle, WA, USA

Civic LX 1.7L

While driving my 2001 Honda civic I stopped behind a can and when we started moving again I didn't. Just like that. Working one minute broken the next. Had it towed to a transmission shop and they said the torque converter failed which cause a blocked transmission filter and all sorts of damage to the inside of the transmission. So they are replacing the torque converter and putting all new parts in the transmission. I had no idea that this was an issue with the 2001 civic. I thought Hondas were good cars.

- , Manahawkin, NJ, USA

Jan 032009

Civic EX

I had brought this car used in 2006, only 2 years of ownership, not to mention this was my first car. Until this point, I have always heard of Honda's being pretty good cars. Well I am now officially sure that this is not the case, I've had several cosmetic problems with this car, but this is the first mechanical. My freakin car just stopped moving in the middle of traffic. At first I thought it was my fault (no transmission fluid or something like that) but after having my boyfriend, and his friend (a mechanic) check it out, I know Honda is to blame!!! If anyone knows of any remedies to this problem (i.e. making honda pay for this defect) please let me know...thanks!

- , Denmark, SC, USA

Dec 302008

Civic LX

Problem with the torque converter led to problem with the transmission--started out as a whine between 2500 and 3000 RPM when accelerating from idle. Probably shouldn't had it looked at then---waited a few weeks and completely destroyed the torque converter, which may or may not have damaged the transmission.

- , Flagstaff, AZ, USA

Jan 032009

Civic EX 1.7L 4 cyl

In 1996 I purchased my first Honda. Honda's have always been reliable for me up until now. I currently own a 2001 Honda Civic and it is MY FOURTH Honda. So far it has been the worst. Two days before Christmas I took it to have a realignment done for $49.99 but I had to have the entire steering system rebuilt. IT COST ME OVER $1100! Last Saturday I was on my way to my second job and my car would not go over 25 mph on the highway then it wouldn't move at all! I had enough momentum to pull off on the shoulder and have the vehicle towed home. I called the nearest transmission shop and they told me I needed a new transmission and should expect to pay over $2000!

Since 1996 I have been a loyal Honda owner but not anymore. Me and my fiance' are expecting in March and this car is making me poor. I guess Honda just doesn't build them like they used to.

-Rusty

robo175@hotmail.com

- , Akron, OH, USA

Civic LX 1.7L

Sounds like we are all stuck with a real LEMON. I cannot believe Honda will not fess up and take responsibility, the way their competitors would!! In an economy that is hurting, if they had any sense they would do all they could to maintain customer loyalty. At 62,000 total miles we expect that the tranny would not fail!!! They want $2,500 to repair it. One of us needs to step up and file suit, we clearly have a case!!!!

- , Chehalis, WA, USA

Civic LX 1.7L

Another Honda Civic transmission failure, same style like described here. not shifting, not moving at all. Went dead just before Christmas.

- , Toronto, ON, Canada

Civic EX 4 cyl

On Christmas Eve my husband and I were on our way to pick up a puppy for my daughter - the transmission sh*t...........

- , East Ellijay, GA, USA

Civic LX 1.7L V4

$1000 to replace the suspension last year. $2000 to replace the transmission (less than 100k miles) this year... Is the entire car going to implode next year? What the H E double hockey sticks???

- , Big Bear Lake, CA, USA

Dec 232008

Civic EX 1.7L

T o all my fellow honda lovers I bought this car for my daughter on the pretense of being a good car. Well after reading many of your complaints I feel I've been had by honda. I took this car to goodyear/certified tire for service since the CV axle was still under warranty for the cv boot then I had them do the timing belt and an alignment. Well to make a long story short on the way home the trans started slipping to the point where it would not go faster than 25 mph, we limped it home then had it towed back to the shop who fixed it, they said everything on their end was good they sent it to a honda dealer because they did not know what else to do. Honda dealer said they got it to set a P0730 code for a ratio error, now hearing about this site and thinking honda's going to throw me under the BUS I don't know what to do! Can somebody please help me stay sane.

- , Riverside, CA, USA