Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2001 Civic has transmission problems, transmission problems & more transmission problems. Did we mention transmission problems? And a dangerous defect with the front airbag that didn't get recalled for 10 years.

Although eventually the defective 2001 Civic airbag inflators were fixed under recalls in 2011 & 2013, that meant for 10 to 12 years airbags were activating with excessive force where metal fragments went shooting into passengers when the airbag deployed.

As for the 2001 Civic's transmission woes? Honda conducted a major transmission recall in 2004 & settled a class action lawsuit for defective transmissions in 2006. But, neither the recall or the lawsuit included the 2001 Civic.

Last thing to consider - the 2001 Civic is the most-recalled car ever, closely followed by the 2002 Civic & the 2001 Accord. The 2001 Civic is the 4th most-recalled vehicle overall, only a Ford truck & two Ford vans have more.

1. replaced transmission (253 reports)
  2. rebuilt whole transmission (151 reports)
  4. get Honda to cover the cost (54 reports)
  5. buy a different car...can't afford the repair (23 reports)
  6. break down the transmission and fix (15 reports)
2001 Honda Civic transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Honda Civic:

2001 Honda Civic Owner Comments (Page 23 of 34)

Dec 042008

Civic LX

I have a 2001 Honda Civic LX. It only has 86,000 miles on it. It started slipping gears and within ten minutes of driving completely broke down! It just kept revving in every gear and not moving. I had it towed to the dealership and the said I need to replace the transmission and quoted me at $2800! Who has that kind of money? It is absolutely ridiculous and I have no car now! Has anyone heard of a way to have Honda pay for this problem. These cars are supposed to last forever. I put an ad out to sell it and no one will buy it for more than $2500. What a waste of years paying a car and barely having enough for a down payment on a new one. Please let me know any info you have! Thanks! PS also my SRS light is on. Anyone have that problem?

- , Tucson, AZ, USA

Dec 152008

Civic EX

Surprise, surprise another 2001 Civic transmission complaint. My car was slipping from 2nd-3rd gear one day and the next day it died while I was driving home. I had it towed to a local transmission place and was told that the torque converter went bad and leaked oil into the transmission. He could salvage some parts but most were fried. He even mentioned that the 01 civics have bad torque converters before he even looked at the car. Still don't know why these cars are not bring recalled when this is such a huge, widespread issue!!

I called Honda today to file a complaint. They gave me a case manager and case # but said I would have to get it towed to a Honda dealership for them to officially diagnose it even though the rep mentioned "we know it's the transmission". If anyone finds out any info re a class action count me in. I'm spreading my complaints and warnings to family, friends and co-workers. No more Hondas for me.

- , Landing, NJ, USA

Oct 082008

Civic LX

Hondas are known to be a very long lasting car and have the reputation of being one of the best and biggest car manufactures. Thats not true with my 2001 Honda civic lx. I had no problems what so ever with this car until the transmission blew out at 68000 miles. 68000 miles on a Honda isn't that much. Usually Honda's can last for alot more than 68000 miles. My family only had one car during this time and that was the Honda and to only discover that its transmission blew out in the middle of the road. This put me and my family in a bad position. We had no other transportation so we had to rent a car from enterprise which cost us alot of money. Also then we had to fix our transmission which cost about 1800 dollars. Thats alot of money just wasted because someone failed to put the car together correctly. Now the car is having even more problems with the speed sensor because every time I go over 20 miles a hour the D light starts blinking and the check engine light wont go off. Ive had a friend that the same problem happen to with the same car that there transmission blew out at about 74000 miles and they complained and got there money back for repairing the transmission. I don't think a person should pay for someone elses mistakes. So i think i deserve to get that money back that i payed for. I can even send you the receipt of the transmission and everything. I mean hondas should last longer than 68000 miles.

- , St. Louis, MO, USA

Dec 162008

Civic EX 1.7L

driving to work in the cold and snow, and my car stops shifting from second to third gear. i pull over and check the trans fluid and it smelled a little burnt. i wasn't that far from work and its COLD out so i figure the fluids full i can make it a couple miles driving slowly. nope i made it about a block before it stop shifting at all. stuck out in the cold. great just how i like starting my day.

- , Dyer, IN, USA

Dec 122008

Civic LX 1.7L

the tranny just went out on me yesterday on the highway during rush hour without a warning. here i am always talking about how reliable Honda is and then this HUGE expense comes up. I haven't gotten the damage report yet but i'm pretty confident that it was the transmission from what happened. Transmissions shouldn't fall apart at 100000 miles. so now i have to take the money from the Christmas money and whatever i get from my tax return instead of actually getting ahead now. Sorry kids, we can't have Christmas because Honda was cheap and decided to cut corners. THANKS HONDA!

- , Conroe, TX, USA

Dec 102008

Civic EX 4

Car was using the transmission as part of the braking of the car. As the car got older the gear shifter would slip into low gear.The automatic shifting was very rough. The sound emanating from the engine and transmission was very loud when the car went into passing gear.

- , Bedford, NY, USA

Nov 242008

Civic LX

WOW I thought Honda was supposed to be reliable. What the hell, I have a JEEP (Just Expect Extra Parts) Cherokee 2001 and this topped all the other repairs I had to do for that. I counted on this civic. POS that is all it is, at least the Jeep looks good, Honda civic doesn't have anything going for it except I big pain in my ass.

- , Midland, GA, USA

Dec 042008

Civic EX

I'd like to start off by saying how much I hate Honda's right now. I will probably never by another Honda ever again. I am the original owner of a 2001 Honda Civic EX and take fairly good care of it. I usually have it maintenance at a dealer as well with just a couple of exceptions. However, the transmission on this car gave up on me today. I came to a stop light and hit the gas pedal when the light turned green and guess what??? Nothing happened. The car wouldn't go. It only has 78K miles on it and is only 7 yrs old!!!! Can you believe this? It was pretty scary since I am 6 months pregnant and had a 3 yr old child with me in the back seat. I thought Honda's are supposed to last forever or at least 150K - 200K & over 10 years. That's why I bought a Honda. This is my first new car purchase. What a disappointment There have been so many problems with this car other than the transmission. Automatic doors and windows have failed on me several times each. Luckily, I purchased a $900 extended warranty to cover these minor repairs. Also, the interior is starting to fall apart. The piece of fabric on the ceiling's interior is starting to peel off and hang down (By the way, this is quite an annoyance every time I look at the rear view mirror). Too bad the extended warranty is NOT going to be able to help me with this transmission problem since it expired 6 months ago. I've had a couple of quotes for a rebuild transmission costing at least $2000. Another unexpected expense this month; thanks to American Honda Corp. I'd like to also mention that my husband also owns a 1998 Honda Accord EX with a transmission problem. We changed his transmission last year for about $2000. Also, about 3-4 years ago, I had recommended my brother-in-law to purchase a new Honda Civic EX as well. And guess what? The car didn't even hit 20K miles and needed a new transmission. Thank goodness for him that the vehicle's transmission was still under warranty. I also found out while talking to different people about this that another brother-in-law had to have his transmission repaired twice on his Odyssey. Based on my experience, Honda is not a brand known for it's reputation, reliability, or workmanship. Apparently, a lot of consumers are having issues with their Honda vehicles as I read through these complaints. You can count on my full cooperation if a class action law suit is ever initiated. I will not be purchasing a Honda again nor would never recommend anyone to purchase a Honda either. Please stay away from Honda's if you don't want to deal with a freakin' headache and an unnecessary $2000+ bill.

- , Beverly Hills, CA, USA

Dec 012008

Civic LX 1.7L

Well, without much warning I had tranny failure, it really upsets me that the Valvoline Oil Change center didn't let me know how bad my trans fluid looked (guess I coulda checked it myself... but still, they said they checked everything) NONE the less, started slipping between 1-2 and 2-3 gears, but thought maybe the problem was because of the oil change place since I had the problems after I went there. Then I see the posts saying pretty much if I get my tranny oil changed it wouldn't make a difference anyways, SO I didn't and ddin't have time or money to get it in the shop. Well, NOW I'm up a creek with no paddle, I've already missed one DRILL with my National Guard unit and can't afford to miss anymore, I have about 60 bucks in the bank, and don't know what to do... thought these were supposed to be dependable cars:(

- , Cheboygan, MI, USA

Nov 212008

Civic LX 1.7L

well my lil gas saver just started to cost big bucks. Like many of you it started with the ever loving whine..."ZOOOOOLL"..... noise on start up. then the slip between 2-3 gear, I figure it was a cold day cause it quit after 25 miles or so, but next start up same thing. But after it warmed up no slippage a little further this time, So I decided it was tranny fluid change time again and headed to the autoparts store but returned home immediately, It slowly went into reverse, then slowly went into drive, then slipped between 1-2 then 2-3 and became very unstable slipping and downshifting on its own. Changed fluid, fluid was unremarkable, tried to run it again, it went right into gear both fwd and rev. yippee I thought,so I backed out of driveway to test it and warm it up to change fluid again, cause on fluid change you can only replace 2.9 qts at a time and if this was the problem I would dilute the fluid as much as possible. Started down the road and same thing slipping downshifting but made it home barely, got check lite I think it was pg740 gear ratio or pg730 something like that. Now I'm hoping Bryan can send me some info since he is experienced in replacing the parts needed so I will post progress as things go. hoping for a recall. #219

- , West Salem, OH, USA

Nov 252008

Civic LX 1.7L

Jumping on board, same tranny problem, 2nd time I'm trying to post here, On a cold day I could hear a 'zoool' sounding wine and between 2-3 gear it would slip tillit was warm, 30 miles or so, then was alright, wife complained the next day too, then it was slipping going into rev or fwd, replaced fluid and it went into gear 2 or 3 times then would slip and finally complete failure, took about 100 miles all together. will be fixing it myself so Bryan if you got my email please send me info. really bad tim efor this to happen around the holiday and no money to fix at the dealer.

- , West Salem, OH, USA

Nov 272008

Civic LX 3.2L

Bought my 2001 Honda in March 2003 with exactly 50,000. Did regular maintenance on it as everyone here does. Problems started with tranny two days ago where it would shift hard or not at all into second and third gears. Was in Pa for Thanksgiving today and got back to jersey and trans went as soon as I got off the highway (thanks god). I had my dog and my boyfriend with me, so I am already annoyed....Tow truck wait time 2 hours....wont tow to an open mechanic if they are not open which they are not because its f*cking Thanksgiving! Now my car is sitting in a church parking lot until i can get it to a Honda dealership tomorrow morning...sigh..let see what Honda says......don't have too much confidence after 215 posts of all negative sh*t

- , Lindenwold, NJ, USA

Oct 212008

Civic EX 1.7L V Tech

My wife's car all of a sudden died like the rest of you. It had 81000 miles on it. The transmission just quit working. It put out the dtc p0730. I did some research and found that there is a technical service bulletin on this very thing. It says that the probable cause is excessive wear in the second clutch. It also says to just go ahead and replace the tranny. I decided to take the transmission out and rebuild it. Just to let everyone know, I have never been inside a transmission before. I went down to the local community college to there automotive department and got the rebuild procedure. It is not that hard, just very intimidating. By the way when I got to the second clutch it was horrible. All you really need if your a do it yourselfer is a metric socket set up to 32mm, a 6" gear puller, a 15 inch chisel, a feeler gauge, a pick set ( for removing seals), screw drivers, and a set of snap ring pliers, and a couple of home made tools. If you have some or most of this stuff, a garage with a jack and 2 sets of jack stands, you can do this yourself and save a ton of money. My email is if anyone has questions. I can email pictures and the whole tear down and rebuild procedure as well as set you up with where to find tools and materials.

- , Reno, NV, USA

Nov 182008

Civic LX

This is my wife's 2001 Honda Civic. she complained Friday that she thought something was wrong with the car..has no power! We did not get a chance to look at it over the weekend and on Monday morning on the way to work it died on her thankfully not too far from home. The tow truck dude said he thinks it is the transmission; I was like no way -it's a Honda; transmission issues are not in their DNA. Towed it off to the dealer where we bought it in 2001 and the only place we take it in for service. Dude calls us later and says the transmission is toast...! WHAAATTT!!! Long story short; $2800 to fix. I google 2001 Honda civic transmission and for the 1st time I come across We call Honda Corp... it's been 4 days... no call back; we have a case number! We will fix this car and get rid of it and I will preach all I can against Honda...for the rest of my life! Lemme holla at Clark Howard real quick! This is an absolute sham; they know there is an issue and refuse to take responsibility....

- , Norcross, GA, USA

Nov 202008

Civic LX 4-cyl

To all, the tranny went out on my daughter's 2001 Civic who is way at college. We bought the 2001 Civic LX 4 yrs ago. We've had no issues until now. According to the Honda dealer it needs a new transmission. What gets me is that the only 2 yrs (per Consumers Reports) that Honda has had any "Major Transmission" troubles over the last decade is the 2001-2002 models. All the other areas were still much higher than normal in reliability. This problem should have been dealt with a long time ago.

As it is, the Honda Hybrids from that same year had the tranny warranty extended to 7 yrs/100k miles. Apparently Honda has not made that decision with the Civics.

I'll call Honda and see what they would be willing to do.

Thanks for your input.

- , Mason, OH, USA

Nov 072008

Civic EX 4

I bought this car for my daughter's birthday last year. My hope was that it would last her a very long time. Well, the car didn't make it to her birthday this year. .The tranny is going out similar to how several of you have described your tranny failures. You would think that Honda would have called these back by now. I am going to call the Honda Corporation tomorrow and discuss my concerns. I wouldn't have bought this car had I known that it was vulnerable to a transmission problem. I am seriously thinking about not repairing this problem and getting another vehicle. Honda will lose a lot of customers if they don't address this problem with integrity.

- , Clarksville, TN, USA

Oct 102008

Civic EX

Add me to the list of transmission failure on the 2001 Honda Civic. I was going to give this car to my daughter and had very little problems with it up until now. Sure, it had a lot of miles, but it ran great and is one of the best mpg Civics out there and besides...Hondas last a long time, don't they? Sad thing is that when I was researching which new Honda to buy for myself I came across this website and saw all the complaints about the 2001. At that point (this was July 2008) I decided I could not give this car to my daughter and was going to trade it in on a new car instead. Like another writer, I felt an impending doom and I wanted to unload it while it was still running well. But life happens and I never got around to it and sure enough 3 months later as I was cresting a hill, the car lurched and sputtered, lost drivetrain for a bit, regained power, lurched again. Thank goodness the car made it over the hill because I would have been in a precarious situation had the transmission totally failed at that point. It limped home dropping out of gear often. Took it to our transmission mechanic who took it for a test drive and it totally failed. The only solution was a rebuilt to the tune of $2896.83.

Simply put, you expect more from Honda. I have a Subaru that has 141k miles on it. My inlaws put 250k miles on their Honda. I just wasn't expecting total failure like that on car that we kept well maintained. I will NOT buy another Honda.

- , Seattle, WA, USA

Oct 272008

Civic LX 4 cyl

I'm a little disappointed yet I should be grateful considering the number of miles.

- , Camden, SC, USA

Nov 082008

Civic EX 1.7L 4 cyl

I was driving down I-5 when the transmission failed. No previous warning lights, nothing. I have seen the same thing listed over and over on this same vehicle (2001 Civic) and I think it is ridiculous that Honda has not handled the problem before someone is killed trying to get off a freeway with cars passing at 70 mph.

I had the car towed to the local Honda dealer and I have no idea what it will cost other than the incidents I have read about which average 3000 to 4500 dollars.

Don't buy a 2001 Honda Civic!

- , Mount Vernon, WA, USA

Oct 302008

Civic LX

Add me to the list. My transmission has been slipping for a while - perhaps a few months, maybe longer, but I'm not enough of a gear head (like, not at all) to know. Last Thursday, transmission totally went out of the thing. I was barely able to drive it the few blocks to my mechanic (thank the Lord it didn't go out during my commute). My local mechanic mentioned similar problems with Accords and Civics in this time frame, and I found this site searching around on Google.

I had my car towed to Bankston Honda in Lewisville, TX this morning after my local mechanic confirmed it was internal transmission trouble. They gave me a quote of around $2700 to replace the transmission. I asked about the 'goodwill' discount, and the service guy said I'd need to contact Honda Customer Service and take that up with them.

Just got off the phone with Honda Customer Service. The rep said there was no such thing as a 'goodwill' discount and when I asked to talk to a supervisor, she said she could open a case file for me and have it researched. She asked me how many Hondas I've owned (2, counting this one), what I was looking for from Honda (I said 50% of the repair cost) and why I felt they should do something (I said I Honda's quality reputation never lead me to expect to have to get my whole transmission replaced at 100k miles, and if I'd wanted that I would've bought from another company).

So ... we'll see. I'll update this as this goes.

- , Denton, TX, USA