CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2001 Civic has transmission problems, transmission problems & more transmission problems. Did we mention transmission problems? And a dangerous defect with the front airbag that didn't get recalled for 10 years.

Although eventually the defective 2001 Civic airbag inflators were fixed under recalls in 2011 & 2013, that meant for 10 to 12 years airbags were activating with excessive force where metal fragments went shooting into passengers when the airbag deployed.

As for the 2001 Civic's transmission woes? Honda conducted a major transmission recall in 2004 & settled a class action lawsuit for defective transmissions in 2006. But, neither the recall or the lawsuit included the 2001 Civic.

Last thing to consider - the 2001 Civic is the most-recalled car ever, closely followed by the 2002 Civic & the 2001 Accord. The 2001 Civic is the 4th most-recalled vehicle overall, only a Ford truck & two Ford vans have more.

9.3

$2,335.00

1. replaced transmission (254 reports)
  2. rebuilt whole transmission (151 reports)
  4. get Honda to cover the cost (54 reports)
  5. buy a different car...can't afford the repair (23 reports)
  6. break down the transmission and fix (15 reports)
2001 Honda Civic transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Honda Civic:

2001 Honda Civic Owner Comments (Page 24 of 34)

Oct 302008

Civic LX

Add me to the list. My transmission has been slipping for a while - perhaps a few months, maybe longer, but I'm not enough of a gear head (like, not at all) to know. Last Thursday, transmission totally went out of the thing. I was barely able to drive it the few blocks to my mechanic (thank the Lord it didn't go out during my commute). My local mechanic mentioned similar problems with Accords and Civics in this time frame, and I found this site searching around on Google.

I had my car towed to Bankston Honda in Lewisville, TX this morning after my local mechanic confirmed it was internal transmission trouble. They gave me a quote of around $2700 to replace the transmission. I asked about the 'goodwill' discount, and the service guy said I'd need to contact Honda Customer Service and take that up with them.

Just got off the phone with Honda Customer Service. The rep said there was no such thing as a 'goodwill' discount and when I asked to talk to a supervisor, she said she could open a case file for me and have it researched. She asked me how many Hondas I've owned (2, counting this one), what I was looking for from Honda (I said 50% of the repair cost) and why I felt they should do something (I said I Honda's quality reputation never lead me to expect to have to get my whole transmission replaced at 100k miles, and if I'd wanted that I would've bought from another company).

So ... we'll see. I'll update this as this goes.

- , Denton, TX, USA

Sep 212008

Civic LX 1.7L

Yet another 2001 civic automatic COMPLETE FAILURE transmission. I have owned four Hondas in the last ten years, but I see that trend coming to an abrupt end. My civic has 69k on it, and its going to cost $4000.00 for a new trans, or $1500.00 for one with the same damn problems out of a junk yard. Honda, if your listening, this is a big shovel full of B.S. and the likelyhood of me buying anything from you again (dammit, even my lawnmower is a Honda) is getting slim. Pissed in MO, Knobb

- , Springfield, MO, USA

Apr 222005

Civic LX

I purchased the car brand new in May of 2001. In April of 2005, with 74,851 miles on it, the transmission failed. I had the transmission rebuilt at a cost of $1,895.00. On Oct. 14th, 2008 my transmission failed again at 121,175 miles, and I had it rebuilt again at a cost of $2,133.40. After speaking with the mechanic at the transmission shop I understood that my transmission problems were not normal wear and tear, but instead Honda�s manufacturing defect. I did some research on the internet and found that I was not alone. There are numerous complaints on carcomplaints.com, consumeraffairs.com, and Hondaproblems.com to name a few. It is clear that there is a major manufacturer�s defect that Honda chooses to ignore. I chose to buy a brand new Honda Civic with the intentions of keeping it for at least a good ten years. I previously owned a 1991 Honda Civic which I purchased brand new and had for over ten years with no need for a new transmission even past the 150,000 mile mark. When time came to purchase a new car I decided on the 2001 Honda Civic hoping to get a good 10 years out of the car. BIG MISTAKE!!! I will never consider or recommend another HONDA or an Acura vehicle in my life, not because there is a manufacturing defect, but because of Honda�s blatant disregard and lack of loyalty to their customers. If American Honda Motor Co., Inc did the right thing and reimburse me for at least one of the repairs then I would be more understanding. It is not the first time that there is a manufacturing defect, but the way it is being handled by American Honda Motor Co., Inc is appalling. I will make it a point to share my horrendous experience with my Honda and American Honda Motor Co., Inc. with as many people as possible. I find it hard to believe that Honda is unaware of the issues their customers have been having. I also find it hard to believe that Honda does not know that this transmission failure crisis is their defect, not the customers. I am sure that American Honda Motor Co., Inc expects their transmissions to last more than 75,000 miles. Yet they choose to ignore us, the consumers.

After my transmission was rebuilt for the second time and finding out that this is Honda�s manufacturing defect I contact Honda Customer Service on Oct. 21, 2008 at 7:17pm EST at (800) 999-1009 and inquired about a "goodwill repair". First I spoke with Oralia Perez. She told me that since my car was not regularly serviced at a Honda dealer that I could not be considered for a �goodwill repair.� I informed her that I have had regular maintenance done on my car by NY State licensed and registered mechanics. I also informed her that no one told me that I had to have my car serviced at a Honda dealer for the life of the car in order for Honda to appreciate me as a customer and look into my problems I am facing with my car. She told me that the owner�s manual says to take the car to a Honda dealer to be serviced. She just kept repeating the same thing saying that since I had not had my car regularly serviced at a Honda dealer that my case will not be considered for a �goodwill repair.� She would not even discuss my transmission problems. It was as if I was talking to a machine. All my concerns and issues were falling on deaf ears. I finally asked to speak to a supervisor. After waiting on hold for about ten minutes, Oralia Perez comes back on the phone saying that her supervisor agreed with her and that since I did not have my car regularly serviced at a Honda dealer that I could not be considered for a �goodwill repair.� I again asked to speak to a supervisor because Oralia refused to address my issue and kept referring back to the so called policy that in order to be considered for a �goodwill repair� I would have had to have all regular maintenance done on my car by a Honda dealer. She again ignored my request and said that her supervisor said there was nothing more that they could do for me. I told her that I had my owner�s manual in front of me and asked her for a page number where I can find a statement that says that I must take my car to a to take the car to a Honda dealer for regular service in order to be considered for a �goodwill repair.� She could not give me a page number. I then asked to speak to her supervisor again. Finally at 7:41pm EST Caroline Chaw comes on the phone. She says the same thing. She said that it is Honda�s policy that in order to be considered for a �goodwill repair� I would have had to have all regular maintenance done on my car by a Honda dealer. I informed her that this policy was never disclosed to me, not in the owner�s manual nor at the dealership where I purchased the car. Again she just kept repeating that this was Honda�s policy. I asked to speak to someone above her hoping to get someone who would address my issue with my transmission and not keep repeating a policy that was never conveyed to me, the consumer. She said that there was no one there that was above her and that I would have to call back tomorrow. After insisting a bit she gave me the name of her supervisor, Durwin Gonzalez. I chose not to call him and waste anymore of my time with them and instead write this letter and post as many complaints on as many websites as possible to get my problem heard since Honda won�t listen.

I am extremely frustrated that the people I spoke to at American Honda Motor Co., Inc would not even address my concerns about my transmission problems. Instead they just kept repeating a policy that consumers are not made aware of. I am extremely dissatisfied with my 2001 Honda Civic, with the way American Honda Motor Co., Inc is treating me and the thousand other consumers that are having the same issues, and also with the extreme lack of customer care provided by American Honda Motor Co., Inc. I hope to get rid of this car as soon as possible and never have anything to do with American Honda Motor Co., Inc, its vehicles, or its employee ever again. The only thing I learned from this experience so far is that American Honda Motor Co., Inc has no �goodwill.�

- , Massapequa, NY, USA

Oct 142008

- , Massapequa, NY, USA

Sep 122008

Civic EX

On September 12, 2008 the transmission on my 2001 Honda Civic EX failed. I had about 120,000 miles on it. I was at a stop light and put my foot on the gas and my car would not move. A kind person behind me in the long line of cars helped to push my car off to the shoulder. I had my car towed to our Honda dealership in Ofallon IL. Their estimate for the repair was $4000. They would replace the transmission. I called several mechanics in our area and they would rebuild the transmission for about $2000. While talking to a mechanic he told me that he has seen many transmission problems with Honda. After reading complaints on this site, I found out about a goodwill repair from Honda. So I called Honda of America and a case manager worked with our Honda dealership in Ofallon. The final cost for the repair was $1768. At the dealership they replaced my transmission not rebuilt it. It was still far more money than I wanted to spend on a car that I thought was reliable, but better than $4000. Honda of America told me that if you take it to a mechanic rather than the dealership, they might reimburse you. You would have to send in the paperwork and a casemanager would review it.

- , Belleville, IL, USA

Oct 112008

Civic EX

I haven't had this fixed yet, but plan to call American Honda and will repost whether they are willing to assist in repairs.

- , Charlotte, NC, USA

Sep 252008

Civic LX

The 200th transmission failure of the Honda Civic 2001 recorded on Car Complaints. Not something that I am proud of!!!

I bought a new Honda Civic in 2001 based in large part on its, supposed, reliability. Last Thursday my transmission failed on my way home from work. I was driving on Route 9 in Massachusetts and the car started to slow down, then I found myself reving the car as if it was in neutral. Obviously, this was pretty dangerous as I was on a highway. I got AAA to tow it to the nearest mechanic who confirmed that the transmission had failed, and that there were no obvious reasons why. He also mentioned that he had a previous customer with a 2001 Civic who had got a �goodwill adjustment� from Honda when she brought it to a dealer (as I had just over 91,000 miles on my car and the Transmission wasn't scheduled to be serviced until 120,000 miles there was reason to expect that they would do the same for me).

I contacted Honda who told me to bring my car to a dealership and that they would deal with it but that there was no guarantee of an adjustment. The Honda dealership phoned me the next day to let me know that there would be no goodwill adjustment. I checked online and found this site, so I phoned customer services to determine why I hadn�t received one. After the Honda representative had gathered all of my information, she phoned me back to say that the regional office had determined that there should be no adjustment in my case. The only explanation that I was given was that I had my car serviced by independents. As this was not the case, I explained that the major services were performed in 3 different Honda dealerships but that I had the smaller services performed by independent operators (The main reason being that I brought my Civic in for the 60,000 mile service at my local Honda dealership who offered to drive me to a place of my choosing and pick me up to collect my car, as the service would take an hour. They dropped me off at a local coffee shop. After 4 hours and 3 phone calls (I phoned after an hour and a half and was told that they would collect me in half an hour) they eventually picked me up. As the alternative Honda dealership is an hour away, I decided to get minor services at independent dealerships. I think that this is understandable). When I asked again, I was told that the decision for adjustments was �based on customer loyalty and I used independents for my services.� I found the reply petty, as it was not true, so I told her that I would tape the conversation for the record. She refused (a bizarre response because she told me at the start of the conversation that we would be recorded). Also, given that my next car was going to be a Civic Hybrid, I find the �customer loyalty� criterion to be laughable.

I told the dealership to go ahead with the repair (I was pretty much stuck without a car). It came to $2900 (about half the price of the car). When I picked up the car I asked for the Diagnostic output. I was told that they didn't have the ability to print out the diagnostic (I needed the diagnostic to get the error code ... because I am not going to let this lie, I will keep writing and complaining to every internet site that I can until I get this sorted, or until someone begins a class action suit). They didn't have the ability to print out the diagnostic results??????

As you can imagine, now I am PISSED. I pay $90 for a diagnostic test and I don't have the results. (they tried to charge me another $90 for another diagnostic test because my SRS light is on .... scam artists ripping people off ... one diagnostic test should give all of the error codes that they need).

I am just back from the dealership. You can imagine that Honda are going to get a phone call on Monday morning.

Honda have dropped the ball on this one. There is no way that I am going to get another Honda if this is not resolved (which is a pity because I was looking forward to getting a Civic Hybrid .... it is Prius for me if they don't get their act together).

- , Westborough, MA, USA

Oct 072008

Civic LX 1.8L?

my 2001 LX civic automatic with 75000 miles started having transmission slip when put in reverse and drive. I checked consumers report and noticed the 2001 civic is starting to get develop a reputation for automatic transmission problems. 2002-03 will probably start getting more complaints as the miles start get over 50000. Good luck to you owners of these. My local Honda dealer is aware of the problem, but they seem to want to try and act as if its not that common. I bet that the problem will only continue to get worse. I hope everyone who has a similar problem will continue to complain and hold Honda accountable and responsible for putting an inferior transmission in these cars. People often buy these cars for their reliability and hopefully Honda will stand by their product and stop tap dancing as if their isn't anything wrong. Tell your dealers and reps that you won't buy their products and cars if they won't fix things when they break or fail way before their expected time.

- , Tacoma, WA, USA

Aug 012008

Civic LX 1.7L

Seems Honda has a problem with the 2001 to 2003 model year Civics and CR-V transmissions. IF YOU ARE LOOKING TO BUY AN '01 TO '03 CIVIC OR CR-V STEER VERY VERY CLEAR OF ONES WITH AUTOMATICS BAD THINGS WILL. I REPEAT WILL HAPPEN. I Had the same problem like everyone else on here, was running fine then BAM my tranny took a dump on me (hm... someone could take that the wrong way but you know what I mean lol) no warning signs or nothing. Only problem I ever had with this car. What a joke of a transmission they put in these. Next stop is a manual.

- , Blue Springs, MO, USA

Oct 022008

Civic LX 1.7L

I have had a Civic 2001 for almost 8 years and has been excellent just like an Accord 2002 and CRV 2006 that I also own but last week the transmission of the civic suddenly failed. It just stopped at a very busy street. I took it to Honda today and expect a quote in the following days. Doing a research in internet I found that this is a common problem with this transmission. It is a pity that such a good car as Honda is have this kind of problems and that the factory has not acknowledged and called for a recall on this. I will spread the word about this with my automotive colleagues.

- , Mexico, DF, Mexico

Sep 152008

Civic LX

My experience is similar to everyone's on this website.I were driving on the expressway with my friends and suddenly the car dropped gears, would not accelerate and lost power. We got off the expressway safely. I were told by the Honda Dealer that I had a transmission failure . I contacted Honda of America for help within 5 days they agree to pay half the cost for a new transmission my dealer charged 1950. for the trans so i end up payin 1200.00 for the tran, towin and some other part i can't remember the name of it i'm not happy but i am satisfied because my extended warranty expired in july now my transmission have a 3year 36,000 mile warranty on it and my car purrs i like a kitten

- , Philadelphia, PA, USA

Aug 202008

Civic

On the evening of August 18, my son who was to start a new position on Sept 2, which required him to relocate from Ashland, OH to Kalamazoo, MI, was visiting a friend in Toledo, OH when the automatic transmission on his 2001 Honda Civic DX failed. He had been stopped at a stoplight and when the light changed he could not get the car to go forward or into reverse. Fortunately he was adjacent to a service station and was able to push the car off the road into the service station. He called our insurance company who dispatched a wrecker to tow it to the Honda dealership in Toledo as he was several hundred miles from home and the dealership from which we had purchased the car in 2003. The next morning he explained the problem to the service manager at Brown Honda in Toledo and asked them to check out the car. At this point we had no idea that there was a problem with the automatic transmissions on the 2001 Civics and so we were shocked when we learned that the transmission would need to be replaced because the torque converter had failed. My son was quoted the price of $3,800 for a factory built replacement transmission or $2,500 for a used transmission w/ only a 7,000 mile warranty. I called a local transmission shop in PA where I live to see what their cost would be to replace the transmission and was told that they were seeing "many" cases of transmission failures on the 2001 Civics and that we should contact Honda to see if they were offering some assistance to owners on the cost of transmission repairs. I "googled" transmission problems for Honda Civics and was hoping there would be a Honda web site but found your site instead. After reading through many of the complaints I called Honda of America and asked them what they could do to help w/ the repairs. I explained that we had purchased the Honda because of their "excellent" reputation and that we had expected to get many trouble free years and many miles on the car. I told him of the many cases of transmission failures that were reported on your site and that one in particular mentioned a "goodwill" adjustment that Honda had made on the cost of repairs. The person I spoke to said that the goodwill adjustment was probably made on a car that had less than 100,000 miles but since my son's car had 108,500 miles on it there was nothing they could do. When I told them that the car I read about had 123,000 miles he proceeded to ask more questions. I told him what the local transmission shop had told me about other problems they were seeing w/ the 2001 Civics. I also told him that my son had spoken to an independent transmission repair shop in Toledo and was quoted $2,500 for a factory rebuilt transmission. The individual I spoke to from Honda of America was very interested in the fact that I had been told that this was a common problem and also what the local Honda service manager had told my son. He told me that he could not offer me anything but that he would report our case to a supervisor. My son was contacted the next day by Honda of America and they asked him what would it take to satisfy him which of course he said he wanted a new transmission w/o charge. When he was told they could not do that he then said that at least they could replace his transmission w/ a factory rebuilt transmission at the same cost as the independent. When Honda of America got back to my son the following day they agreed that Brown Honda of Toledo would install a factory rebuilt transmission for $2500. When my son picked up the car after transmission was installed on August 27 the bill came to $1,553.95. The bill stated it was a Goodwill Adjustment and it looks like Honda of America covered 75% of the total charges and we got stuck w/ 25% of the cost. I am thankful for your site because without it I am sure we would have ended up paying at least $2500 at the local transmission shop. I am very disappointed that Honda has not publicly acknowledged that there is a problem w/ these transmissions and that people are getting stuck w/ the costly repairs. As I stated previously we bought the Civic because of what we thought was their excellent reputation.

- , Hermitage, PA, USA

Sep 072008

Civic EX 1.7L

2001 Civic EX, mother had bought it brand new and just recently payed it off.

I acquired it a few months ago @ 53k.

She's a teacher and drove the car VERY lightly and had all oil changes etc done at the mechanic (not dealer)

Around the time I bought the car from her I found this site and a feeling of impending doom I couldn't shake.

The only thing I could say would give a hint of a problem was a harsh downshift from 3-2 but this was noticed only occasionally when accelerating out of a turn.

Yesterday, driving on the highway off the BKLYN Bridge, my car failed, literally from working 100% to 0% (neutral revving) within a matter of a few minutes.

I'm pissed to say the last and will be exploring all possible options and reporting my findings here ...

BTW we just bought a FIT... hopefully the same story wont occur again ..

- , Brooklyn, NY, USA

Sep 012008

Civic LX

Bought this car with 88k on it on 8/31/08 at 9pm. 70 miles later merging on freeway motor revs up and no forward movement. Feels as though transmission isn't even connected. Dropped it off at dealer they said it came up as internal failure and want to replace it at my cost. I'm looking for another route. shouldn't the guy i bought it from less than 24 hours be responsible 4 this or shouldn't Honda recall this it now seems a common problem. Lets start a class act against Honda!

- , Mission Hills, CA, USA

Oct 192007

Civic LX

My Honda civic transmission died last year around oct, well no problem I will get it towed to the dealer ok, well who has 3 grand on hand not me. I have a Acura mdx that I drive in the winter. well within one and half months the transmission failed on that, but I was lucky it had 40k on that and they paid for that with a one year warranty and 1500 for other things regarding that. So fast forward currently my car now I have the money just in case. of course it needs to replaced and 2700 or 2800 needed for the repair. I called Honda regarding the transmission and said sorry it's out of warranty and your stuck with it. Well do you think I will buy another Honda product ever. 2 cars in less than 2 months transmissions. My family has had several Honda's never again. and no Acura's neither. Hello toyota, Lexus

- , Maple Hts, OH, USA

Aug 272008

Civic 1.7L

I am also one of the victim of Honda transmission failure. I was in middle of the intersection and car just died. It can not move. Everybody was screaming at me. I tried a lot but couldn't move my car. With the help of 2 person i just pulled my car aside. I towed the vehicle to a ready Honda and decided to research Honda transmission problems and came across this website to which I was very shocked that there were so many people having the same problems which ended in rebuilding or replacing the transmission.Service center is asking for $3600 without tax to rebuild thee transmission. It was a big surprise for me. i am in a bad situation "can't repair or sell". i can not afford a big expense. I did regular servicing for Honda Service center.still i find this problem. I really don't know what to do?

- , Mississauga, ON, Canada

Aug 222008

Civic LX

My experience is similar to everyone's on this website. We were driving on the freeway with the family in the car and suddenly the car dropped gears, would not accelerate and lost power. We were lucky to get off the freeway safely. We were told by the Honda Dealer that we had a transmission failure and the internal clutch failed. They said they had never heard of this type of problem and that it was probably only our car that has experienced it. Then they told us it would cost $3,300 to repair. They also suggested that Honda of America might help but they could not offer us any price break at this time.

- , Sierra Madre, CA, USA

Aug 102008

Civic LX 1.7L 4 cyl

I was driving one night and my car seemed to start shifting abruptly. The problem quickly got worse and worse. Then my check engine light came on. Shortly after it did, I had a hard time even getting the car to move when I put it into gear, either forward or reverse. Then it totally quit on me. You could put the shifter into gear, but the car wouldn't move. I walked several miles to a gas station to get some automatic transmission fluid to put in the car because I figured with only 53000 miles on the car and no prior warning of any problems it had to be something simple. I got a ride back to my car, put in the fluid, and still could get the car to do nothing. When I went home after I gave up and resolved that I would have to take it to a repair shop the next day, I Googled the problem that I had had to see if I might get a better idea of what I was facing. That's when I found out about the problems that the Civic was having with automatic transmissions.

The next day, I called my normal repair shop to ask if they did automatic transmission work. The service manager told me that they didn't do that kind of work, but asked about the problem. When I told him what happened and what make and model I owned, he told me to call Honda, because he had heard that they had extended the warranties on some cars and that they had had nothing but problems with those transmissions. I called my dealer and they told me they would check on it and call me back in a couple of hours(they didn't). When I called back they said that Honda had extended the warranty on some Accords but not on Civics. He did say that there was some chance that Honda might help but that I would have to have ALL the service records from the very beginning for them to even consider it. I told him that I wasn't the first owner but considering that the transmission wasn't scheduled to be serviced until 120000 miles and the other service records were irrelevant, I didn't see what difference it made whether I had the oil change records or not. He said that they would want them so I decided that Honda was a waste of time so I blew them off.

I took my car to a recommended shop and was once again told that Hondas tended to have transmission problems. The next day I got the news: $2400 to totally rebuild the transmission. The time wasted talking to Honda just meant another day of renting a car.

This was the first and last Honda I will own. My girlfriend owns a 2001 which up until now has been flawless, but under the circumstances she is looking at unloading it at the first hint of any trouble. When I get all my information together, I will try sending a letter to Honda's national office to see if maybe by some chance I could get some assistance paying for this, but particularly since I chose to go around their worthless dealership I don't anticipate any luck on this. When I am rejected, I have already looked online for lawyers that handle class action suits and I plan on contacting one. Once again even if a suit is possibly filed, I don't expect any great help with the heavy financial cost of this, but I would like to see Honda pay a price because there is no doubt in my mind they know and have known about this problem for some time. But they're too cheap and protective of their "quality" image to admit that they have made cars with a catastrophic defect.

- , Buda, TX, USA

Aug 182008

Civic LX V4

My car was running absolutely fine.. no problems what so ever! Then out of nowhere, i'm pulling onto the hwy and just like that, the transmission failed! No warning, No jerking, no sluggishness... NOTHING! Just died right then and there!! It's 11 o'clock at night and i'm about 20 miles from home and i THANK GOD my husband was with me or i would have been scared to death! We had to call a tow truck and he dropped our car off at a shop for us. I've had a mustang before and it's transmission went out but it at least gave me signs that it was dying. I actually was able to take it easy and drive on it for 3 weeks!! But i definitely did NOT expect this out of a Honda!!!!!! None of the gears work. The tranny is completely dead!! Reliable? I think not! Please, think twice before you buy a Honda! Really do your homework!! I will never buy one again!! Definitely not after reading all the same complaints on this site!!!

- , Flowery Branch, GA, USA

Aug 112008

Civic DX 1.7L

Yesterday Morning the wife and I got into the Civic for probably the last time. On our way to work I noticed the tranny started kicking out of gear when shifting from 2nd to 3rd and I said it looks like I need to take it in for repairs soon. I got to work 15 miles later and forgot all about it. That car never made it home.

Over the last 3 months I've had to baby the car because every time I went to accelerate from a stop or low speed it would bang pretty hard if you didn't ease on the gas. I now believe since reading some complaints that the most likely cause has been the torque converter has failed. I'm going to have to spend the money I don't have to get this civic back on track!

- , Frederick, MD, USA