Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2001 Civic has transmission problems, transmission problems & more transmission problems. Did we mention transmission problems? And a dangerous defect with the front airbag that didn't get recalled for 10 years.

Although eventually the defective 2001 Civic airbag inflators were fixed under recalls in 2011 & 2013, that meant for 10 to 12 years airbags were activating with excessive force where metal fragments went shooting into passengers when the airbag deployed.

As for the 2001 Civic's transmission woes? Honda conducted a major transmission recall in 2004 & settled a class action lawsuit for defective transmissions in 2006. But, neither the recall or the lawsuit included the 2001 Civic.

Last thing to consider - the 2001 Civic is the most-recalled car ever, closely followed by the 2002 Civic & the 2001 Accord. The 2001 Civic is the 4th most-recalled vehicle overall, only a Ford truck & two Ford vans have more.

1. replaced transmission (253 reports)
  2. rebuilt whole transmission (151 reports)
  4. get Honda to cover the cost (54 reports)
  5. buy a different car...can't afford the repair (23 reports)
  6. break down the transmission and fix (15 reports)
2001 Honda Civic transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Honda Civic:

2001 Honda Civic Owner Comments (Page 25 of 34)

Jul 162008

Civic EX 1.7L

Just like everyone else in this category, my transmission suddenly failed at about 120k miles. However, my experience with Honda was different, and so I'd like to offer some encouragement to others to try to work with their Honda service center as well as American Honda. My dealer, Hennessy Honda in Woodstock GA, quoted me $2,500 to replace my broken transmission with a rebuilt one. After I authorized the service (I also looked into just getting a new car, but it proved to be more financially sound to do the repairs instead), I asked my Service Manager, Kevin Etters, if they would work with me on the price, as both my husband and I have been loyal Honda customers (both for purchases and service) for years. In the end Kevin was able to knock about $400 off the price. I also called American Honda and asked if they could do anything to help with the costs, as this is a known problem for 2001 Civics and I should not have to replace the transmission at 120k. My case was assigned to Scott, who called me within about 4 business days and asked me to fax him my invoice from Hennessey Honda. Once he received it, he called me again and asked what they could do for me (I also explained to him that we are loyal to Honda and would like to keep it that way). I asked him if they could cover either the parts or labor, and without even giving him a specific price point, he authorized reimbursement for the labor, which was a little more than $600. So in total, we were able to save/recoup a little over $1,000 from the original quote, and the repairs ending up costing about $1,500. Well worth it, when now, with the transmission working again, my car's resale value is somewhere in the ballpark of $5k-$7k. I just wanted to share this information, since my experience has been different from most people posting to this website. It's definitely worth the call to American Honda, and try to work with your service center as well. Honda has kept me as a customer, and I'm glad, because the new CRV is totally cute.

- , Woodstock, GA, USA

Mar 022008

Civic LX 1.7L

I bought this car thinking like everyone else it was the best deal, I was very wrong. The transmission started slipping in the morning around 8am and by 6 that evening, it went out. I was stranded with my 4 month old daughter, just started my new job that day, and was now in a financial rut without a car. Good luck to anyone who can get Honda to help them, it just doesn't happen. They acted like i was the first one to have this problem !! So as I'm typing this complaint, I can see my Honda out the window just sitting there in the driveway like it has been for about 4 months now, still making the car payment and fighting with Honda to get this resolved. I wouldn't wish this problem on anyone, it a financial burden and it's a big problem. HONDA -- YOU'VE FOR SURE LOST ANOTHER BUYER!!!! NEVER AGAIN!!!

- , Clinton, TN, USA

Jul 262008

Civic LX 1.7L

i was driving this car on highway and it stop working at the speed of 45 mph,and it stop working and transmission fail .Honda have to recall this ,they know this is a manufacture defect i have to buy a new car i will never buy a Honda again they have lot of transmission problem ,they have to pay for this damage i don't know why nobody sue them . Honda sucks

- , Fallschurch, VA, USA

Aug 032008

Civic LX

I am another victim of the 2001 Honda Civic faulty transmission. I own two of them. Same year. Same make. Driving along one day and the transmission just died on me. On the highway with my family in the car. Luckily we were able to get off to the side before anything bad happened. Honda is quoting me $2800 to fix. After reading everyones complaints, I can see that inaction on their part is pretty typical. I am going to see what kind of "consideration" they will give me and then probably have the car towed to another shop. I hear they can be fixed for about $1,000 less.

- , Saint Paul, MN, USA

Jul 312008

Civic EX

I can't believe this. I bought this Honda in 2003, and have noticed the transmission slipping lately. All of a sudden today, it just failed. It goes very slow in reverse, but that is it. I would like to join in a class action lawsuit against Honda. I would never have thought this would happen on a Honda, such a good reputation vehicle, at 108,000 miles.

- , Tampa, FL, USA

Jul 142008

Civic EX 1.7L V4

So many of these cars have this problem yet there was no recall for the transmission nor did anyone inform us of this problem at the dealership which is Mat Burne Honda of Scranton PA.

- , Clarks Summit, PA, USA

Jul 112008

Civic EX 1.7L

Same problem everyone else has with their 2001 Civic transmission, no gears work. It went from working fine to not working at all in the span of 2 minutes with no prior indication of a problem.

I'll spare you from another sob story about how dangerous it was when it happened. I did manage to get in the right lane and roll off the crowded bridge over the Delaware River at rush hour in a not so nice part of town (Camden).

Honda will admit nothing and do nothing for me. If I had taken it to a Honda dealer then there's a very remote chance they may. I wasn't willing to take that chance since Honda doesn't fix transmissions they just replace them and it would have cost considerably more then going elsewhere.

I was told by the mechanic doing the repair that the torque converter disintegrated and trashed the rest of the transmission requiring a full rebuild.

Remind me to get a standard transmission in my next car (Hyundai)!!!!!!!!

- , Norristown, PA, USA

Jul 112008

Civic LS

Just like all the other cases reported here, the transmission on my 2001 Honda Civic just went out without warning. I do not want to waste time describing the details. Rather, I want to make suggestions on what to do about it. In my case, I have always written to newspapers' editors on current news items so I firmly believe that the pen is a mighty sword. The biggest regional newspaper in my area is called the San Jose Mercury News and they have a columnist named Mr. Roadshow. I am going to write to him about this and hopefully my letter will be printed and if enough people respond, maybe the Mercury will do some kind of investigative report on it. When I called Honda Corporate this morning to open up a case for claiming the repair costs ($2800), the tow charges ($76) and the rental car ($50/day), I made sure that they know I am working with the newspaper. I made a big deal about them taking down my contact information and I repeated every bit of information they gave me. I am going to do a journal on the whole ordeal and make my story into a case study for Mr. Roadshow. Other things I can think of doing is calling a radio station or a TV station. My local Channel 7 (ABC) has some consumer advocacy program called "7 On Your Side". Contacting the Consumers' Union may also help. But, one thing for sure, I will never buy another Honda. It will be Toyota and nothing else for me from now on.

Update from Jun 6, 2009: This is a (very belated) addendum to my posting on July 11, 2008 (#182)

San Jose Mercury News' columnist Mr. Road Show said he has not heard anything about the 2001 Honda Civic being especially prone to the problem (my thinking is that the average mileage for this problem to appear is 96K so it will become more obvious right about now, when more and more cars hit that mileage). He did forward my message to two other columnists (one on consumer complaint, another on technical auto issues) but neither of them chose to pursue the subject. I also called up some transmission shops locally to see if they noticed an abnormally large number of 2001 Honda Civic being brought in for transmission repair. Unfortunately, none of them noticed such.

In any case, I did file a claim with American Honda in Torrance and started a "file" with them. After some back-and-forth communications by phone and fax, mostly in proving to them my Honda was well maintained all along, they agreed to "share" the costs. They told me that: #1, the repair would be coded as "warranty", which will greatly reduce the total costs, and #2, Corporate Honda will share 50% of the reduced costs. I thought it was pretty fair so I said "thank you". However, when it came time to settle the bill, I was asked to pay $1376, a little more than half of the original quoted "non-warranty" repair!!! Since my son has been paying $55 for a rental car EVERY DAY since this whole incident started and it was already day 10, we decided to just paid the amount and picked up the car.

Afterward, I did call up American Honda again to ask why the "warranty repair" cost exactly the same as "non-warranty repair" but they said the pricing is up to the individual dealership and I should take it up with them. They promised to pay 50% and they did and that's that. I called the dealership about 6 times before I finally got to talk to someone live. They said the original quote they gave was actually for "warranty repair" and that "non-warranty repair" would be twice as much. That is not the way I remember it but since I could not prove my case, I had to let it go at that.

Also, my son said that for the first few weeks after it was fixed, it still felt very sluggish and made funny noises when the car was started and taken into first gear. Now that it has been 5 months, it is running OK.

All in all, it was just a very unpleasant situation. We paid for the tow truck, 10 days of rental car and 50% of the so-called warranty repair -- almost $2,000!

I will NEVER, NEVER, NEVER buy another Honda.

- , Palo Alto, CA, USA

Jul 042008

Civic LX 1.7L

I bought a 2001 Civic new and have paid the dealership for all recommended maintenance to ensure warranty coverage. The extended warranty ran out last year and of course the transmission failed on our first long trip with it. The "Check Engine" light flashed while climbing a hill and there was a loss of power. Pulled over at top of hill and all seemed ok. Engine temp was normal, no leaks, pings or knocks. Continued to cabin and took to the closest dealership the next day. They replaced spark plugs for $200 and said all ok. 10 minutes down the road the tranny failed while passing a motorhome in heavy traffic. Barely made it to the side of the road without a crash. No deal from Kamloops Honda but Honda Canada covered $1300 of the replacement cost. Still cost $3000 plus a week of car rental. But working now. Won't buy that CRV now. Also had an engine mount go a couple of months ago as well. What a lemon this is turning out to be.

- , Surrey, BC, Canada

Aug 072003

Civic LX 1.7L L4

I heard a loud "ping" that signaled the beginning of the end of my tranny.

Took it to the Honda dealer in Woodstock, ON, who by the way are excellent. They replaced the transmission under warranty. I squeaked in as the Canadian warranty was 100,000km and I was 2,000 shy of it. It leaves me to ponder whether I would have said they were awesome if it happen 2,000km later.

It does make me fearful that it will happen again, and next time it will be my expense.

- , Woodstock, ON, Canada

Jul 072008

Civic EX

I have a 2001 Civic EX with automatic transmission. The tranny suddenly failed on me the other day. I had it towed to the dealership. They had it for a whole day before they could tell me that the tranny had died. They explained that their policy doesn't allow for specific diagnosis or repair of the problem, just replacement of the entire transmission which would cost over $2500 plus I'd probably have to take it to get the alignment done afterwards. The maintenance schedule doesn't even show that the tranny needs to be serviced until 120k miles so it stands to reason it is expected to last past that mark at least. Not until I requested to report this to Honda did the dealer give me their information. I filed the case today and am awaiting their response.

- , Grover Beach, CA, USA

Jun 262008

Civic EX

I have a few things to complain about. . . . I bought a 2001 Honda Civic in 2006, so it was about 5 years old. I never had a problem with it until about 2 weeks ago. I noticed my transmission was slipping and then about 2-3 days later (on my birthday)the car just broke down. It would run, but it wouldn't go anywhere. I had it towed to a local transmission shop and ended up needing the torque converter replaced. I got it back about 3 days later on a Wednesday. The Friday after that (4th of July) I couldn't get the damn car out of park. I had it towed for the 2nd time back to the transmission shop. They fixed it and gave it back the next day and also told me that 2 of my motor mounts needed replacing. UUUuuggghhh!! About 20 minutes after leaving the shop I heard a loud noise under my hood. It sounded like I had busted my tire, then I heard a loud grinding noise. I thought 'GREAT. What else could go wrong?!' I called the transmission guy AGAIN and had it towed AGAIN (for the THIRD time in two weeks) and found out that my ball joint in the front passenger side had busted. UUUUUGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!. I don't think I will ever own another CIVIC again. An Accord maybe. This whole experience has cost me well over $2,400.00. I thought these little cars were suppose to save you money. Not put you so far in the whole you can't see the light anymore.

- , Wilmington, NC, USA

Jul 022008

Civic EX 1.7L

The transmission just stalled without warning. Luckily there was no accident happened.

I bought this car brand new in 2001 and changed transmission oil every 15,000 mile with Honda transmission oil. No leakage around transmission block. Honda never failed me before, and I think Honda should consider a recall to solve this misery problem. I will stay away from Honda until I heard something from the company how they deal with this problem.

- , Walnut, CA, USA

Jun 242008

Civic ES

Add me to the ranks of victims of Honda -- thought I was buying a reliable car and at 80,000 miles my transmission quit. Torque conversion failure. This is clearly a manufacturers defect and I'm left holding the bag. I followed advice I found here and called American Honda for a goodwill repair. When it quit moving in the middle of the road I lucked out to get it off to the side before I lost all momentum. I had AAA tow it to the dealer - didn't know what else to do-- and I haven't had the work done yet because I still don't know if Honda will give me any "goodwill." Of course my extended warranty has expired so I'm completely at their mercy. I did perform required maintenance but at an independent Honda repair shop so I don't know what kind of goodwill they'll extend. I've been calling around and the dealer is at least $1200 higher than an independent Honda shop for the repair.

I want to join a class action suit -- doesn't anyone out there know a lawyer who would file for us? This is clearly a safety issue; suddenly the engine started revving with no forward momentum -- and with absolutely NO WARNING!! What if I had been on a freeway at the time - or on a steep hill?? Are they waiting for people to get killed before they take this seriously?? SILLY ME, OF COURSE THEY ARE!! Stay away from the 2001 Honda Civic if you're shopping around for a reliable used car.

- , Topanga, CA, USA

Jun 242008

Civic LX 1.7L I4

I would like to thank Honda for convincing my parents to never buy a Honda again. My parentís í01 Civic LX recently died while on the highway in Houston. The dealership scanned OBDII codes P1361 and P0740. The service adviser told my parents the P0740 is transmission failure. To fix it, they replaced the entire transmission for over $4000.

When I got back home, I checked the two OBDII codes. P0740 is Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Malfunction, which I believe could be resolved with replacing the solenoid, which is a much cheaper alternative. I asked the service adviser why they didnít do that, I was told that the dealership ďdoesnít mess with the stuff inside.Ē That made a lot of sense to me, itís like replaces your whole house because your toilet doesnít flush. My parents should have taken the car to a tranny shop and fix the part that was broken.

Just a side note, this is our 2nd Honda. Both of which had tranny problem. Our 1994 Honda Accord also had a tranny problem that caused the tranny to not upshift.

- , Houston, TX, USA

Jun 222008

I purchased a Honda Civic because they are supposed to be reliable. My teenage daughter was out late at night returning from work and the transmission failed. Luckily she got the car off the road safely. You don't want your daughter stuck in that situation. That's why we got her a Honda. It would not go into any gear. Completely dead. Had to have it towed. It's at a transmission repair shop now.

- , Nashua, NH, USA

May 052008

Civic EX Vtec 4 cyl

I neeeed help!!! Im 21, full time working student tryin to pay off this piece of sh*t Honda civic that I bought 3 1/2 years ago. It only has about 73000 miles on it and its screwing up on me everyday!!! It drives for a few miles and stops accelerating and shudders. I have to turn it off and wait for a few mins before i can turn it back on and drive it. But it stalls and shuts down so often I don't know what the hell is wrong with it. I changed the camshaft censor, which was assumed to be my first problem, that cost $80, but then it happened the day after I fixed the camshaft censor. It happens so randomly everyday Im scared to drive anywhere!! I don't have the time and money to be fixing this so called reliable piece of sh*t car. Can someone help me out or tell me how I can solve this issue without costing an arm and a leg.

.. I will never buy a Honda again thats for damn sure. I have to 10,000 to pay off, WHAT A F*CKING RIP. My bf has a saturn and a ford and its older than my Honda but he isn't having a problem with those cars. THis is just sad sad sad. I cant believe ppl think hondas are good cars.

- , Sacramento, CA, USA

Jun 202008

Civic LX V4

I was driving my 2001 Honda Civic down the highway in Dallas and the transmission goes out - talk about dangerous. I almost got killed as my car slowed down and oncoming traffic almost slammed into me as I tried to get over to the shoulder. I definitely don't expect a failed transmission for a car that only has ~73k miles. What a piece of crap. Has anyone had any luck with filing a small claims suit against Honda. From what I've read and from what the mechanics have told me this is a common problem.

- , Irving, TX, USA

Jun 212008

Civic EX

This is my fourth Honda, I've had 2 Accords and a Prelude but I will never buy another product made by Honda. This transmission is a huge expense for me.

- , Hudson, NH, USA

Jun 112008

I own a 2001 honda civic ex and I bought it because I thought Honda's were supposed to be the most reliable cars. I have owned the car for several years and until the transmission died on me recently, I hadn't had too many problems, aside from the muffler constantly rattling. Well, the Honda was running fine with no signs of dying, until wife was driving to pick up our foster kids from a visit with their mother. It was during this 15 minute drive that the transmission completely died, leaving my wife stranded on an overpass and our foster kids stranded at the family job and service center for a little longer than they would like to be there. The transmission was slipping a little bit earlier in the day, then it stopped completely. Thank you 2001 Honda Civic for being completely worthless at this point. Why won't Honda recognize this problem and pay for there mistakes in 2001. Based upon what I learned from this page ( I will try calling them to see if they will pick up some of the cost to get a new transmission. I'll keep you updated.

- , Bowling Green, OH, USA