CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2001 Civic has transmission problems, transmission problems & more transmission problems. Did we mention transmission problems? And a dangerous defect with the front airbag that didn't get recalled for 10 years.

Although eventually the defective 2001 Civic airbag inflators were fixed under recalls in 2011 & 2013, that meant for 10 to 12 years airbags were activating with excessive force where metal fragments went shooting into passengers when the airbag deployed.

As for the 2001 Civic's transmission woes? Honda conducted a major transmission recall in 2004 & settled a class action lawsuit for defective transmissions in 2006. But, neither the recall or the lawsuit included the 2001 Civic.

Last thing to consider - the 2001 Civic is the most-recalled car ever, closely followed by the 2002 Civic & the 2001 Accord. The 2001 Civic is the 4th most-recalled vehicle overall, only a Ford truck & two Ford vans have more.

9.3

$2,335.00

1. replaced transmission (254 reports)
  2. rebuilt whole transmission (151 reports)
  4. get Honda to cover the cost (54 reports)
  5. buy a different car...can't afford the repair (23 reports)
  6. break down the transmission and fix (15 reports)
2001 Honda Civic transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Honda Civic:

2001 Honda Civic Owner Comments (Page 26 of 34)

Jun 112008

Civic

I own a 2001 honda civic ex and I bought it because I thought Honda's were supposed to be the most reliable cars. I have owned the car for several years and until the transmission died on me recently, I hadn't had too many problems, aside from the muffler constantly rattling. Well, the Honda was running fine with no signs of dying, until wife was driving to pick up our foster kids from a visit with their mother. It was during this 15 minute drive that the transmission completely died, leaving my wife stranded on an overpass and our foster kids stranded at the family job and service center for a little longer than they would like to be there. The transmission was slipping a little bit earlier in the day, then it stopped completely. Thank you 2001 Honda Civic for being completely worthless at this point. Why won't Honda recognize this problem and pay for there mistakes in 2001. Based upon what I learned from this page (http://www.hondaproblems.com/Civic/transmission-failure.shtml) I will try calling them to see if they will pick up some of the cost to get a new transmission. I'll keep you updated.

- , Bowling Green, OH, USA

Aug 132006

Civic EX 1.4L

My daughter was at the NJ shore with her 2001 Civic and called me because the car would not go into gear at the parking lot. I drove 80 miles, picked her up and on monday called Avalon Honda to have it towed. Later that day they said they had changed the transmission fluid and "fixed" the problem which they had seen in other Civics. I drove my daughter back to the Avalon dealer and then received a call that her transmission had slowed down on the expressway and she had pulled over twice. After she reached home I called the local Honda dealer who towed the car and informed me the transmission had failed ( at 41k miles).I called honda in Torrance CA. to complain about the misdiagnosis by the NJ dealer, the danger to my daughter on the highway and 2 towing bills. I also informed them that my wife drove a 2004 Accord and I was on my 2nd acura MDX. After faxing them the NJ dealer diagnosis they agreed to pay for the new transmission and reimburse the towing costs if I would pay $300 towards the tranny cost, which I did. I have summarized the problems we have had with the 2001 Civic that include 4 door panels that had to be re-glued at 13,000 miles, a new battery at 29,000 miles, a new AC system at 40,000 miles, engine mounts replaced at 39,000 miles, new front struts at 48,000 miles and the new transmission at 41,000 miles. This car has been driven by my daughter at college and now at work and only has 57,000 miles in june 2008. It is well taken care of and is a big disappointment to the family. If you look at the NHTSA site for technical service bulletins issued by Honda for the 2001 Civic it totals 348 while the 2002 dropped to 218. Clearly 2001 was a bad year for the Civic.

- , N. Wales, PA, USA

Dec 072005

Civic DX

Like everyone....I bought a Honda due to reliability. Yeah right. We had total transmission failure at 108,000 and it cost $2040 to repair....just before Christmas. Honda would not help AT ALL !! We paid and drove it to 155,000 and.....it went out again !!! We always stay on top of maintanance and never abuse our cars !! It is history now....AND HEY HONDA ....come look at the 2 new TOYOTAS in my driveway. I will never think about your cars again.

- , Dallas, GA, USA

May 312008

Civic LS

I wish this website would have existed when we bought our Honda. After reading almost all of the complaints about this problem, I would have saved myself a lot of money buying a Toyota. The transmission went out without warning on Friday as I was driving to work. I almost didn't make it, then had the car towed home at the end of the day. The mechanic told us he'd heard of this problem a lot and I should check the Honda website and/or call Honda. I did both with no results. I will file complaints in every place I think will be effective in getting this safety hazard fixed, and I won't be buying Honda in the future.

- , Hillsborough, NC, USA

May 272008

Civic EX V4

I have had a similar situation as everyone else here. The car just died--as one poster said it was like I was in neutral, except I was in drive and flooring it. My mechanic found out yesterday it missed the warranty by 1 month and is going to cost $1200. I'm going to write a letter to Honda and include information I have found on the 'net (such as the number of transmission complaints on this site and a few other sites I found). I plan on asking them what they plan on doing for me--not that I actually expect them to volunteer anything, but I will make sure to let them know how unhappy I am with them. Honda is supposed to be a reliable car, but I certainly am not feeling that right now! My friend has a 2000 Civic and has had none of these problems!

- , Ridgewood, NY, USA

Civic EX 1.7L I4

same problems as everyone else...it would help if people followed up their complaints to find out how they fixed their problems too. i'll check back later when i fix my tranny.

- , Cerritos, CA, USA

May 152008

Civic LX

I could have never thought that the Honda transmissions could ever go bad! But I guess I was wrong! My girlfriend was driving her Civic happily to her work in a morning on a highway at 70 mph. Half way to the work the car starts to slow down even though she is pressing on the gas pedal. Fortunately there was not much traffic on the highway, so she could pull over on the shoulder. The car comes to a full stop, the engine still running, but the car won't move at all in any of the gears. The car gets towed to the nearest mechanic by AAA and within minutes, the diagnosis was out. Transmission failed!! We looked up online and found out that there has been similar cases already with this model. Also tried calling the local Honda customer service hoping to get a goodwill repair. But Honda doesn't care about 160 car failures out of the millions of cars that they sell. Their excuse was "the car had 109,000 miles so it's past the warranty" That's BS! Anyways, what did I learn from this? No more Hondas in family after this!! bye bye Honda................

- , Clawson, MI, USA

May 212008

Civic EX

My story is not much different than the others. I had my tranny serviced approximately two weeks ago and my very reliable mechanic told me all was good to go. I have been quite diligent about keeping my services up to date. Lo and beholed it went out. He even took the time to go and talk about it with the service manager at Norm Reeves Honda who said that there was nothing he could do for me. I have always trusted Honda to the fullest extent. I once owned a 1986 Honda Civic Crx which I honestly didn't take very good care of and when I traded it in it had 183,000 and the most costly thing I ever had to do to was replace the clutch for about 400 bucks give or take. I sure wish I had discovered this site before I bought it.

- , Huntington Beach, CA, USA

Civic

While driving to work on, 5/24/05, my car started slowing down and out of nowhere, it died. I am on the ball when it comes to the upkeep and maintenance of my car. I never would've thought that my 2001 honda civic LX, with only 77,5000 miles, would die on me. I am furious. I WAS a huge fan of honda. Now,I think that the @#$% has just hit that fan. If anybody can help me with some info as to what I should know when I go to the mechanic, I would truly appreciate it. Good luck everyone!

- , Lyndhurst, NJ, USA

Civic LX

I'm in the military, and a classmate of mine in A-School warned me about the particular model of Honda I bought, saying that he owned the same type of vehicle before, and had to replace the whole transmission at about 120,000mi. Well, I sort of shrugged it off, because my car was running great. I bought my car used, at 88,000mi, and no more than 7,000mi later, I'm told I'm going to have to replace the transmission.

As I left Pensacola, FL for San Diego, CA, my check engine light came on no more than 500mi into the trip. I had it checked out at a dealership in TX, but they couldn't find anything wrong. The light went off and on the rest of the trip. Car was running great, and so I thought maybe the computer chip was glitchy.

So when I went in to get an oil change yesterday, I decided to get the light checked out, as it was now staying on. The service member told me that I had metal shavings building up in my transmission fluid, and that it was due to a disintegrating torque converter. Total cost for repair approx. $2500. This is absolutely ridiculous. My parents always drove a Honda, and friends drive Hondas, because they're reliable. Well, after reading this page, that definitely seems to not be the case. It seems to be a particular problem with this model, and I'm amazed Honda has not had a recall. Instead, they have a recall for some stupid headlight problem.

Being in the military, I pretty much make nothing. I am constantly living paycheck to paycheck. I cannot afford this kind of problem. I bought a Honda because it will get me good mileage, and last a long time. Great for a military member who frequently needs to cross the country. This problem is just absolutely ridiculous, and I will not resort to paying out of pocket until I have exhausted all other means.

- , San Diego, CA, USA

May 262008

Civic DX

My wife and I purchased this Honda used one year ago from a private party. This vehicle looked to be in very good condition (actually, it still looked new inside and out). We bought this car with 106,000 miles on it. Just as many others that have sent in a complaint , I thought that Honda were very reliable with few problems. With Hind sight, I see way there are many 2001 - 2003 Honda Civics up for sale. My son and I decided to drive his vehicle to my wife's mother's house (about 70 miles away) on Sunday for a crawfish boil where my wife came down later. He had to leave early to go to work. He left by himself (16 yrs old) and made it home, to work, and back home with no problems. The next morning, (Memorial Day) he went to run on his High School track about 1.5 miles from home. On his way home, he called me and advised that all-of-a-sudden the car would not shift past second gear (automatic transmission) were he could not go faster than 15 miles per hour. I told him to pull over and check the transmission fluid to make sure that it wasn't low and call me back. He called me back and advised that the car would not move in drive or reverse, that the engine just revs up. The transmission fluid was fine. Since we bought this vehicle, there was 12,000 miles put on it. We towed the vehicle to a repair shop and I decided to research Honda transmission problems and came across this website to which I was very shocked that there were so many people having the same problems which ended in rebuilding or replacing the transmission. I thank God that this happened less than a mile from home and not while he was traveling alone from his grandparent's home. I, just as everyone els complaints, wanted to take time to let you know the problems that we are having with the Honda Civics to which mine happens to be a 2001. I will have the transmission rebuilt and updated. Thank you AutoBeef for giving us an avenue to let others know what the dealerships are not telling us.

- , Prairieville, LA, USA

Apr 252008

Civic EX 1.7L V4

If only my research had brought me to this site earlier. My circumstances have been very similar to those described here. Several weeks ago I brought my '01 Civic in because it was shifting gears erratically, or not at all. The dealership told me it was due to the transmission fluid, which was replaced. Two weeks later, the tranny dies completely.

After arguing with Honda Corporate and Miller Honda for a week, the best they offered was a 25% "goodwill gesture" toward the transmission, which excluding labor is $2800.

My first car was a 1994 Civic, and it had 170,000 before I traded it in, with never a repair aside from basic maintenance needed. I'm sorely, sorely disappointed with Honda, as I used to be a very loyal and outspoken praiser of the company, and would tell anyone with car trouble to just "get a Civic."

Never again.

- , Los Angeles, CA, USA

May 092008

Civic EX

I had no idea how common a problem this was until I searched and came up with this site and saw all the other complaints. This is the 3rd Honda Civic I have owned, and I bought this one with 50K miles. I still cannot believe that a Honda's transmission would die at 70000 miles and that they totally ignore it anyway! I am in the process of figuring how much my extended warranty will cover, and then will get it repaired. Sorry to everyone that this has happened to!

- , Stratford, CT, USA

May 082008

Civic LX 1.7L

Had near disaster when the car plans to die on you on the freeway. nearest mechanic was quick to diagnose the problem and solution ever prompter..transmission is gone. did not believe and thought I was getting ripped. who in the sanest mind believe a Honda make to go bad in 66 K. This was just the start of series of unfortunate events....the Honda dealer has denied a claim that a problem in the transmission with 2001 civic...I have been feeding them faxes to make my claim. I don't want to spend 3K on 7K car. Any suggestions would be most appreciated. Thanks

- , Horsham, PA, USA

May 072008

Civic EX

Minutes after exiting the highway, where I'd been driving 60mph, I accelerated from a red light and felt a hard shift. The car started to jerk when I tried to accelerate and I smelled something burning, but I was in heavy traffic and couldn't immediately pull over. Fortunately, I made it the remaining short distance to work, put the car in park, and left it running for the parking attendant. When the attendant put the car in drive and stepped on the gas, the car wouldn't move. It was like it was in neutral. Had the car towed and was informed the transmission was shot and a rebuild would cost about $2,300. It took me two hours to get home using public transportation. I'm fortunate the transmission didn't fail a few minutes earlier when I was driving at high speeds. All this only two weeks after the car passed inspection, had the (Honda) transmission fluid changed, and had other routine maintenance. This is an unacceptable flaw that Honda needs to address, immediately!

- , Canonsburg, PA, USA

Apr 182008

Civic LX 1.7L

After noticing a strange jerk in shifting for only about a day i was left stranded in the middle of no where with a transmission that suddenly failed completely. After walking a couple miles up the road i was able to get service on my cell phone to have my car towed. I would say i may have been luckier than many of the others on this site that could have easily been killed experiencing the say problem on a busy interstate. The dealer gave me an estimate of about $3000. After reading the posts I cant believe that Honda could possibly expect me to pay such a ridiculous amount of money for a problem that they know exists. I hope to encourage everyone that has this similar problem that they contact Honda America and tell them that if they don't fix this problem you will never buy another Honda and will tell everyone you know about you experience and insist that they do the same. To make a difference EVERYONE needs to get on Honda about this. They know this is a problem and should do something about it.

Most importantly this is an issue of safety. People could die driving this car while Honda sits around and does nothing about this problem.

I hope everyone leaves a complaint on safercar.gov. The link to this same incident is: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/complaints/results.cfm .

I hope that everyone else that experiences this problem will contact Honda America and SaferCar.gov so that Honda will do something about this poor treatment of customers and their endangering of lives with this known problem.

- , Galena, OH, USA

May 112006

Civic

I think this is a Joke by Honda when i went to see Car Dealer they told me that they can't help it because it had 80,000 mile warranty. Which suck! I will rather go for Toyota because their service is great. Buying next car/van/suv from Honda will be really low on my list.

- , San Diego, CA, USA

Apr 252008

Civic LX 1.7L V4

another member of the Honda transmission failure club. My transmission totally failed on me and apparently I am not alone. I have it towed to a transmission specialist and still need to figure out what I can do with it.

one thing is for sure, I'll never buy a Honda again.

- , Holt, MI, USA

Apr 242008

Civic LX

Honda is always depicted as the epitome of reliability. Its quite disgraceful that such an obvious transmission error is constantly overlooked by HONDA.

- , Peoria, IL, USA

Apr 202008

Civic EX

I have become yet another victim of Honda. 2 days ago I was driving with my 9 month old daughter and my grandmother in the car at night when, out of nowhere, the tranny starts to do the neutral-feeling-but-still-in-Drive problem. Well to make a VERY long night (tow and all) a short story...my transmission completely died that night! My Honda has 63K miles on it...HOW ABSURD IS THIS!?!?!?!?!!!

This needs to be taken up to a legal level in order to ensure the safety of the many others who have been lied to and told that they are driving reliable, quality cars.

I'm taking it to Robertson Honda in NOHO to see how much they own up to...

- , Arleta, CA, USA