CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2001 Civic has transmission problems, transmission problems & more transmission problems. Did we mention transmission problems? And a dangerous defect with the front airbag that didn't get recalled for 10 years.

Although eventually the defective 2001 Civic airbag inflators were fixed under recalls in 2011 & 2013, that meant for 10 to 12 years airbags were activating with excessive force where metal fragments went shooting into passengers when the airbag deployed.

As for the 2001 Civic's transmission woes? Honda conducted a major transmission recall in 2004 & settled a class action lawsuit for defective transmissions in 2006. But, neither the recall or the lawsuit included the 2001 Civic.

Last thing to consider - the 2001 Civic is the most-recalled car ever, closely followed by the 2002 Civic & the 2001 Accord. The 2001 Civic is the 4th most-recalled vehicle overall, only a Ford truck & two Ford vans have more.

9.3

$2,335.00

1. replaced transmission (254 reports)
  2. rebuilt whole transmission (151 reports)
  4. get Honda to cover the cost (54 reports)
  5. buy a different car...can't afford the repair (23 reports)
  6. break down the transmission and fix (15 reports)
2001 Honda Civic transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Honda Civic:

2001 Honda Civic Owner Comments (Page 28 of 34)

Mar 012008

Civic LX V4

Just to let everyone know that Honda transmission may fail at low mileage too.

- , Toronto, ON, Canada

Feb 202008

Civic EX 4 cyl

My 2001 Honda Civic EX is now having it's entire transmission replaced at the Honda dealership as I am writing this complaint. I was absolutely astounded a few weeks ago when I was driving my Honda and the transmission began to slip after I had pulled out of my driveway and tried to put it in 'drive'. It 'slipped' a few times and finally went into drive. This was a common occurrence when the weather was very cold outside. After the car warmed up it did not seem to slip, but I decided to take to the Honda dealer to have it checked out. They had for about a day and a half and said that they could not duplicate the problem and had never seen a Honda transmission 'fail' . (HMMMM?). I had some other maintenance performed on it and went to pick it up the next day. Well when I got to the dealership to pick up the car they said that when they pulled my car out to give to me the transmission 'slipped' and they said they had taken it back inside and added some kind of 'Honda' conditioner? to the transmission fluid and said that it was ok to drive and to watch it. I have always had my maintenance performed at the Honda dealer and they also said that when they looked at my transmission fluid it was very clean and not rusted, etc. They asked if I had the timing belt replaced, and I said I had it replaced at about 98000miles, and by a Honda tech. I also had the transmission fluid changed at this time with Honda fluid, etc. They just said that they had never seen a Honda transmission fail at 108,000 miles and that I should get at least 250,000 miles out of ti.

Right, well I took the car home, didn't drive it over the weekend. Drove it a few miles to on the following Monday and Tuesday and then BOOM on Wednesday morning, I started my car, let it warm up for a while and pulled out of my driveway and it wouldn't go in drive at all. I had to end up having it towed to the Honda dealer. The verdict was that the torque converter failed and I needed a new transmission for $2837.00. OUCJ/

I was sick and like everyone else, I had bought a Honda because of its reputation for reliability and long life. I called American Honda for a goodwill repair, and got a case number and then called my dealership to tell them I had called American Honda. In the end with help from my dealership and the fact that I had purchased an extended 100,000 mile warranty when I purchased the car new in 2001, plus the fact that I had just had over a $2000.00 in maintenance done on the car in the past 10 months. American Honda agreed to pay for 60% of the entire repair and the cost of the repair (rebuilt transmission and labor) was reduced to $2000.00 as Honda bought their own transmission at wholesale price. Honda also will warranty the transmission for 3 year, or 36,000 miles. I agreed because what choice did I have. I still believe they should cover the entire cost as this is obviously a 'defect' and their should be a recall on these Civics for the transmission failure with so many complaints. This is astounding that they (Honda) is willing to risk and damage their reputation over this. I would not be surprised if their ends up being a class action lawsuit in the near future, and maybe we can all get our money back.

- , Independence, MO, USA

Feb 252008

Civic EX 4-cyl

My wife was dead in the water out on the road with a failed automatic transmission on a Honda with 88,000 miles on it! Unthinkable for a Honda, but then look at the number of complaints on this site alone. Of course, the warranty had expired and no extended warranty. After the failure, I Googled it and found this site. Review of the complaints on the site lead me to call American Honda, register a complaint, and open a case number. They then worked with the Honda service department where we had the car towed. Subsequently, the service manager called me and said that American Honda would pay for the parts (about $2600?) if we would pick up the labor ($500). They declined to pick up the 5-day rental-car cost. I found that acceptable, but I think that a recall should be issued (extend the warranty to, say, 120,000 miles) to help others who will experience this failure and not find their way to a solution like I did. We don't buy Honda's expecting this kind of failure to occur.

- , Solana Beach, CA, USA

Jan 292008

Civic DX

everyone i talked to was shocked when i told them about my Honda transmission failing, including all the mechanics i talked too. and you know what i was too. but after deep introspection (and web searches, thanks) ive come to realize that Honda's are on par with fords except Hondas are thousands of dollars more expensive. i was unfortunate enough to have my Honda civic stop moving in the middle of winter on a busy road on my way to medical school during an exam week, and this happens to be my wife, and my, only car. needless to say i could have done better on my exam, but i guess its my fault because here i thought Honda's were reliable cars that wouldn't die on you on a winter morning with only 94,000 miles and a history of care and maintenance. if anyone from Honda is reading this please make a smart business move and fix this problem. in a technological age where communication is at the click of a mouse it is very important for your reputation, hence sales, that you correct the issue. the only thing that maintains your sales in many parts of the states is your "reliability" factor. if you lose that, then you've essentially become an expensive ford, with less interior comfort.

- , Toledo, OH, USA

Dec 182007

Civic LX 1.7L

i wrote in mid December when my trans went out . many of you responded with great answers . but unfortunately American Honda wanted no part of it and not even on goodwill terms . so i waited and got an extended warranty for $900.00 , and they covered it . even the tow hahaha .who got the last laugh Honda ? the repair alone ran $2400.00 . plus towing and diagnostic . i pay a $50.00 deductible and my car is done and back on the road . it is a common problem that Honda wont acknowledge . but there is a way around the system . and the plus side is that i get a warranty on the full powertrain . and roadside and many other perks out of it . check it out and if you need more info email me . ill help out .

- , Milwaukee, WI, USA

Jan 212008

Civic LX

My issue is the same as the rest of the issues mentioned on this site. 2001 Honda Civic LX with 95000 miles. I couldn't accelerate between 2nd and 3rd gears and between 3rd and 4th gear. After finding this site, I called American Honda immediately to discuss. Like a few others, they gave me a case number and told me to get a diagnosis. The diagnosis was complete transmission failure and they wanted to replace with a honda certified rebuilt tranny with a 3 year warranty for $2050. The case manager from American Honda asked three questions 1)How many Honda's have I owned, 2) Am I the original owner of the car, and 3) do I get my service done at the Honda dealership. I have owned or leased 3 hondas, I am the original owner, but I do not get my service done at the dealership. She said she would get me the best deal possible hung up, called the dealership, and called me back within five minutes. Honda and the dealership agreed to pay for the entire cost of repair. Sounds like I got lucky, but I think the key is to involve Honda early. They would not have paid for the entire transmission if they didn't already know that these were a problem. Use this site as an example and reference the fact that the 2001 Accord did have a recall and that there are numerous TSB's regarding the Honda transmission.

- , Canton, OH, USA

Dec 262007

Civic LX

I noticed my car acting weird for a couple of days before the complete failure. It was cold outside and it seemed to take longer for the it to go into drive completely when it I would 1st start it in the morning. Then the day after xmas(leaving work at the hospital) approx. 11pm at night I noticed the engine was revving pretty high and didn't want to get in gear. My check engine light then came on and the car just didn't want to go very fast.I was headed for the highway and proceeded to turn around to go a different route home that I was able to maintain 30 mph. Whenever I had to stop at a light building up speed took a awhile and I was just praying to get home. Unfortunately I was not able to get home and was able to use the car's last bit of power to turn into a parking lot. The car would no longer move in drive or reverse. I automatically knew it was the transmission esp. since a coworker w/ the same car 2001 silver honda civic lx (completely identical) had her transmission suddenly fail out of the blue 2 weeks before. I had the car towed to my house the next day and started heavily researching the matter. After reading what I read on this website I contacted Honda America 1-800-999-1009 to see if help was a possibility. I spoke to someone very nice and helpful at this time and she told me help with the repair was a possibility but it would be necessary to tow the car to a Honda dealer and the diagnosis would have to come from a Honda technician for them to make a decision. So I got a case number# and had the car towed there the next week and yes of course the diagnosis indicated I needed to replace the transmission( no sh*t). A problem for me was not having maintenance performed at Honda and having a individual mechanic work on my car(no paper trail)...or so they make me believe.I let the case manager know all the research I had done and that I knew that the Accord and Odysseys had their transmissions recalled in 01. He said the civic transmissions were not a widespread problem and there had not been any service bulletins on any problems..I was quick to say what about service bulletin 04-0361?? After He looked it up in his database and it was in fact for th 2001 civic transmission failure (what happens when the car doesn't move in drive) indicating car needs transmission replacement. I could go on and on about this but most importantly Honda only agreed to pay 25% so my bill is $1800 + tax which is a lot better than 3k but still sucks pretty badly. I guess I'll think twice about buying a Honda the next time around.The dealership just called me to inform me I also have a cracked manifold and broken motor mount. I'll get that fixed somewhere else but I have to just say what a nightmare this has been and I am not the only one who has gone through it.

- , Austin, TX, USA

Nov 222007

Civic EX

reading all of your complaints i feel a little bit better. I had bought my 2001 honda civic ex in September 2005. In November 2005 two days after the lemon law my transmission failed. It turned out to be this big ordeal because Tony March the place where i had purchased my car was not going to fix it. I pretty much bought this car a lemon. My mom had to fight with them and make some calls and complain about their service. Finally, they ended up fixing my car and i just had to pay for the used transmission which was $500 and they would cover the labor. Well now about 2 years later and my car at 131,000 miles i am having problems with my transmission again. It is slipping gears it will jump from 3 to 4. I am not sure what to do now because i don't even know if i want to have this unreliable car anymore. But then again there is no way that i would be able to afford a new car. I was doing some research and i found a number which is 1-800-999-1009 and then you say "goodwill" if this problem seems to progress then i am going to call it and see what they can do for me. This is bull.

- , Newington, CT, USA

Jan 272008

Civic LX

A little over a week ago I was driving my car home from work and the transmission kept slipping. I took it into Honda the next morning and they said that I needed a new transmission. I researched online and found this website. I noticed some people said Honda paid for part or all of it, so we called Honda. They said that they want to see records of anything I have done to my car besides basic oil/filter changes, so they can make sure that I have properly maintained my vehicle. They said that when you do any transmission drain & fill that you need to use Honda genuine fluid. My problem was that I had my vehicle serviced at the Honda dealer for the first few years, and then after that I just went to an independent mechanic. They ended up looking at my dealership service records and decided that they will pay 25% of parts and labor for the transmission. I was a little mad that they didn't pay more, but I took the 25%. So if this problem happens to you, hopefully you had your car serviced at a Honda dealership. If not, they might not pay anything unless you have reciepts that show they used Honda Genuine Fluids.

- , Corona, CA, USA

Jan 232008

Civic LX

As previously stated by other complaints on here, my car started jerking a bit on acceleration. With that then came the rpm's increasing with acceleration. The first day it started I was on my way home from out of town and the car had been running for almost three and a half hours. Day number two is when its problem increased, to the point that accelerating was a pain in the ass and I didn't feel as though my car was ever going to reach appropriate speed. Towards the end of day two of the problem, my check engine light came on and at this point I'm too scared to attempt to even drive it. I contacted Honda and there recommendation was to replace the transmission fluid with their own. But before I could even do that, my car had reached a point of no return and again I'm too scared to drive it. Not to mention, I've also had to replace the alternator twice in this vehicle.

- , Grove City, OH, USA

Jan 192008

Civic

My husband and I bought a 2001 used Honda Civic. Same problems as everyone has mentioned. When driving home a couple nights ago the engined started to rev really high and then would not go forward, backwards, or anything. Transmission failed. We called Honda after reading all of these complaints. NOTHING! We used to be Honda promoters, but now are so frustrated. They have been so unhelpful and it is just so sickening to have to spend so much money fixing such a supposedly "reliable" and relatively new car.

:(!

- , Surrey, BC, Canada

Jan 222008

Civic 1.7L

I was driving to pick up a classmate to bring to school when my gears started going back and forth, from 2000rpms to 5000rpms. Luckily I was near a friend of mine's mechanic shop. He drove the car, did some research online and told me my car transmission was terminal. He said I might be able to make it my friend's house to switch out cars. Well on my way to my friend's, the transmission went out, check engine light came on (I was on a hill) and I had to turn off my car. I am 100 lb 5'2 female and luckily some nice bystanders saw my predicament (I was next to some guard rails next to a bridge) and helped me push my car off the road to a safe spot to wait for a tow truck. A friend picked me up, brought me to a safe ride, so I can resume my day. I had two tests that day and I was such a nervous wreck from the morning, I couldn't focus. I was late to class needless to say and am now having to find transportation to and from school and work because yes I am too a full time student and work full time. I thought Honda's were reliable (thats what everyone told me). I bought it used as is with 68,000 miles on it. Now I wish I would of spent my money elsewhere or done some better research on it before I bought it. I've only had this car since March of '07, when my previous car ('86 Supra) started having multiple problems. I never had any transmission problems with this car until this morning when it spontaneously started acting out. There were no symptoms of failure, unexplainable noises, or anything to make me believe my car was in trouble. Oh, and it had just been inspected (and passed) 2 weeks ago.

- , Richmond, VA, USA

Jan 172008

Civic LX

Ok so a couple weeks ago my car started making really loud "whining noises" mostly when it was in idle. I figured the belts were loose so I called my mechanic and he said to bring it in whenever. Before I had a chance to bring it in, the gears started acting funny. About when I hit 30mph the rpms would go way up and the car would jerk before changing gears.. i thought this was strange but hey at least I was going to take my car in the next day and it probably had something to do with the noise. Well every time I drove my car the problem would get worse and worse. It started doing it at 40-50 as well. When I took my car in the mechanic said that the noise and the gear problems weren't related and I will have to rebuild my transmission for $2000-$3000. WOAH! He was surprised because I have a Honda and Honda's aren't supposed to do this. But he said that I probably have a couple months to possibly a year before it goes out completely so that I can save the money. So the next day I start to go to work and its having trouble going into first gear... I drive as far as I can before I turn on a busy road with a slight incline and my car wont go forward! When I tried to accelerate the RPMs went crazy and I started rolling backwards. By now my check engine light was on... When I called the mechanic he was so surprised that he's hoping that it is something else (something less costly) however after finding this website with hundreds of people with the same complaint I think I am out of luck. This is horrible. I am a student and I work full time aboyt 20 miles away (it takes 40 mins in traffic to get here) I think I will have to take out a loan to cover costs and I am frantically looking for a used transmission. CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT COUNT ME IN!!!! My mileage is only at 82,000. Please everyone lets make this happen! The problem only started 3-4 days before it completely died. This is not OK.

- , Simi Valley, CA, USA

Jan 112008

Civic EX 1.7L

Do I feel like a schmuck? Yes. I bought a used 2001 Civic EX for my 16 year old girl. It had all highway miles so I thought I was getting a great deal. I fixed it up and had the transmission flushed at the dealer in April 2007 and everything was fine. On Jan 11, 2008 it began slipping. Now I can't drive it. I thought I did my homework carefully but after reading these comments I really blew it. With the # of miles I doubt the Dealer will even talk to me. I could use some advice. I'm into this car $6600 and still have a $3000 loan. I would appreciate the Corporate phone number from those who had success. Please post.

- , Saint George, UT, USA

Jan 062008

Civic LX 1.7L

Now I would have to say that you cant get any luckier then me...It started where we had a really cold couple of days here in MD and when I would leave for work in the AM the care seemed to not be changing gears all that well, RPMs were extremely high and then it would finally change gears..I thought maybe I didn't warm it up enough first, the next day we had a warm day and it was worse than ever...I drove about 1 mile and then turned around..came home and checked the trans fluid..full and clean...took off one more time made it about 2 blocks and the whole trans went out..nothing...3rd, 2nd, reverse..nothing. But thank goodness that I bought the extended warranty because I was covered up to 100,000 miles and I had 99.450! So Honda is replacing the whole trans and gave me a loaner Accord for the mean time. But how did this happen? The car is only 6yrs old! I get all my regular services at the Honda Dealership, had the timing belt replaced at 90,000...I mean this ia a HONDA and this is NOT supposed to happen. So you can imagine my surprise when I saw all of the complaints..I just had to add mine too! If something goes down with a SUIT..I will be first in line!

- , Baltimore, MD, USA

Jan 032008

Civic LX 1.7L

Found out 01/03/08 that the transmission on my 2001 Civic had failed and had to be replaced. I was shocked as I thought it couldn't possibly be anything major with only 69,000 miles on a Honda. Dealer came back with a price of $2,700.00 for a rebuilt transmission. They then called back and said they could do it for $1,200.00. I started researching a bit and found this website. I contacted American Honda and told the dealership to hold until I heard back from American Honda. Well, they called back this morning and they think I'm getting a great deal for $1,200.00! $1,200.00 for something that should not have happened. Great deal. He denied that there is a problem that Honda should be responsible for and said that is American Honda's stand. I told him i will get teh transmission replaced as I don't have a choice and will trade the car in and it won't be on a Honda. That's my stand. If someone starts a class action count me in.

- , St Petersburg, FL, USA

Jan 042008

Civic LX

Like many others, I thought it was just my bad luck but after reading these

complaints I now know I'm not alone. My mechanic just told me that the torque

converter went bad on my 2001 Civic (with 85k miles). Will cost around $2300 to

fix. I was regular with my maintenance, oil change, etc. but did not use Honda only

transmission fluid or service. I will be checking the site again to see if any one has

organized some way of reclaiming our money!

- , W. Orange, NJ, USA

Jan 042008

Civic EX

Wow, after loosing my transmission, I was pretty disappointed. 151K I suppose is actually 'not bad'.

Still I was expecting more... I've had 'lesser vehicles' (an '89 Mirage, that I beat the daylights out of for 220,000 miles--and finally gave it away after HS!!) without experiencing so major as this.

I'm a bit reluctant to spend a huge amount of money on a car with 151K---especially when the year doesn't seem to be a particularly good one for Honda.

- , Vernon, CT, USA

Dec 212007

Civic EX

At first I thought, "Well I got 130,000 miles out of the transmission, and I wouldn't be complaining if I didn't expect so much from a Honda." Then the mechanic told me that he has rebuilt 3 of these in the last 2 weeks. I see the list of other complaints here, and it is obvious that Honda has a problem. I was fortunate to have mostly freeway miles, which is likely why the system lasted this long.

The big question I have is, "Did everyone follow the suggested maintenance schedule and use only the approved Honda transmission fluid? If so, Honda is going to take a big hit in the reputation. I have really enjoyed the car until now, but this could put me off buying another one. If I wanted bad parts and an unresponsive manufacturer, I would just buy another Ford.

There was also a known problem with the exhaust system on the 2001, but the Honda dealership fixed that one for me without any fuss. 2001 was the first year for this model run, and it appears that they had a few more bugs.

- , Livonia, MI, USA

Nov 052007

Civic LX 1.7L

Update: rms72002

Well, I finally gave in (unfortunately) to have a "rebuilt Honda factory warrant (3yr/36000) trans" installed on Friday, 01/3/07. I guess I really didn't have a choice, due to the fact that this is my only means of transportation. The totally cost came out to $2,049.50 (including tax & labor). The Honda dealership, where I purchased my Civic in Jan. 01 and have kept up with my maintenance schedule in accordance to the owners manual, gave me a "goodwill/customer" deal that I couldn't pass up! Out of the $2,049.50 I only had to pay the labor cost of $749.90. I still plan to fight this with Honda's headquarters. I'm waiting for a response from their customer service manager with regard to these issues. I guess I'll be holding my breath for some time.

- , Oak Park, IL, USA