Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2001 Civic has transmission problems, transmission problems & more transmission problems. Did we mention transmission problems? And a dangerous defect with the front airbag that didn't get recalled for 10 years.

Although eventually the defective 2001 Civic airbag inflators were fixed under recalls in 2011 & 2013, that meant for 10 to 12 years airbags were activating with excessive force where metal fragments went shooting into passengers when the airbag deployed.

As for the 2001 Civic's transmission woes? Honda conducted a major transmission recall in 2004 & settled a class action lawsuit for defective transmissions in 2006. But, neither the recall or the lawsuit included the 2001 Civic.

Last thing to consider - the 2001 Civic is the most-recalled car ever, closely followed by the 2002 Civic & the 2001 Accord. The 2001 Civic is the 4th most-recalled vehicle overall, only a Ford truck & two Ford vans have more.

1. replaced transmission (253 reports)
  2. rebuilt whole transmission (151 reports)
  4. get Honda to cover the cost (54 reports)
  5. buy a different car...can't afford the repair (23 reports)
  6. break down the transmission and fix (15 reports)
2001 Honda Civic transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Honda Civic:

2001 Honda Civic Owner Comments (Page 31 of 34)

Oct 102007

Civic EA

Hi, I have a 2001 Civic 2-dr EX. Like many of you here I also had my transmission give up on me at 88,000 miles. If not for this website I wouldn't have an idea about this problem.

My wife drives the car, one day all of a sudden the transmission stopped engaging. You can drive it around but you can't exceed 10 mph or the thing slips and all you can do is rev the engine. Imagine the hassle in having to drive from one autoshop to another, we're trying to cut costs so we avoided using towing.

After learning here that Honda may offer to cover part of the cost, I brough the vehicle to a dealer. After their diagnosis they offered to pay for the part and I paid for the labor which was great. My maintenance history from another Honda dealer also helped negate the cost a bit. The first autoshop I brought my car to was charging me $3,500 to fix it, that made me think if I should keep the car or donate it.

Here's some advice that may be helpful:

(1)When you reach high mileage, do a major maintenance or a transmission flush to at least give yourself a chance when they investigate your vehicle's history (that is if you haven't had this problem yet).

(2) They may require a fee but getting a diagnosis from the dealer first before bringing it to a mom and pop autoshop can be very beneficial at times. I have yet to hear a dealer tell me something had to be replaced eventhough it wasn't. When I bring my car anywhere I already know what's wrong. In this case however I thought I was going to get significant cost savings by going to a dinky shop first.

This really shook up my confidence. Mostly everyone from my famly drives a Honda, their customer service came through for me this time but it will always make me think from hereon when I'm purchase my next car. (A Prius maybe?)

- , Fremont, CA, USA

Aug 292007

it was completely 2001 honda civic transmission failure

- , Gaithersburg, MD, USA

Oct 092007

Civic EX

I bought my Honda Civic brand new in 2001 and never had an ounce of trouble.....until I paid it off in July 2007. One month later, I was driving to get some lunch and I felt my car jerk and instantly knew that was my transmission. I took it to get a transmission flush at my local maintenance shop and it seemed to have helped. On the way to work the next morning, the transmission went out completely-in 4 lanes of Clemson traffic. I had to call 911 to have policemen come out to stop oncoming traffic and push me across. My husband arranged the tow truck and I went to work.

We did not take it to a Honda dealership because they usually want to charge you a freakin kidney or 2 so we used someone around town that was referred to us. He called and told us that it was going to need a rebuilt transmission and that we were looking at approx. $2200. Well-I don't have that kind of money to spend leisurely much less on a car I just paid off.

Then-I found out the more people I talked to-I learned that MANY other people had the same problems with their Honda Civic. So I started searching the internet that is how I found this site. I couldn't believe all the other people that had experienced the same thing!! So I called the Honda Corporation and gave them a piece of my mind. I ended up paying $2090 (with towing) and American Honda Corporation paid $584 of the bill. They would only pay for the parts because I took it to an independent dealer in stead of a Honda dealer. So be sure to get in touch with them once the issues start with your car! All I had to do was fax my receipt to them.

I told the Honda Corp. that there should definately be a recall on the transmission with so many people being affected.

- , Pickens, SC, USA

Oct 022007

Civic LX

During the 2006 holiday season, we had a massive road trip planned: TX-OK-GA-FL-TX

About 3 hours after beginning the drive, my Civic started revving severely. We stopped, checked it out and when we realized we couldn't go very far as 15mph, we pulled over. Stranded in Muskogee, Oklahoma, 2 days before Christmas, we had the car towed to the nearest Honda dealership (Tulsa) and miraculously found a Toyota dealership in Muskogee that would rent us a car and we continued on our holiday road trip.

The transmission was shot, they said, and the Honda dealership in Tulsa called to say it would cost almost $4,000 to replace it. We then realized that they were jacking the price up because they knew we had been stranded. Instead of paying those criminals, we paid to have the car towed back to Dallas and repaired by our local Honda dealership at a much more reasonable price (closer to $3,000).

Every Honda dealership I've been to has said that this is not a problem with the 2001 Civics, although it obviously is. They refuse to take responsibility for it. Meanwhile, I could have been driving a much flashier car if I planned on spending $4,000 more when I bought it.

Everyone says Hondas last forever... but that's no longer the case. This was my first Honda and due to the company's inability to admit that the 2001 Civics have a serious tranny problem, it will be my last.

Honda, thanks for trying to ruin my 2006 holiday season and much-planned family road trip. When you have to replace the transmission, suddenly the re-sale value of the car just isn't such a great deal anymore and you must question the reliability of not only Honda products, but also the Honda corporation. They don't really care about your problems.

- , Dallas, TX, USA

Oct 012007

Civic EX 1.7L

DON'T BUY A HONDA! I'm a 20 year old college student who is barely making it by as it is. I bought my 2001 civic so that I would have a reliable car to get me through college. Well, like the others, I was just driving down the road when my car slipped out of gear. I had it towed to a transmission center and called Honda to see what they would do about the problem. They told me that for them to consider anything it would need to be towed again to a Honda dealership. So I paid another $82 to have it towed there. Of course, they came to the same conclusion, and Honda refused to help with anything. They told me that the transmission failed because I took improper care of the car, which is just complete bullshit. I babied this car from day 1 and always took care of everything. So now I'm out over $3,000 and Honda doesn't care at all. LET THIS BE A WARNING TO ANYONE CONSIDERING A HONDA! GO AHEAD AND BUY AN OLDER USED ONE, BUT STAY AWAY FROM ANYTHING MADE IN THE LAST 10 YEARS!!!

- , Billings, MT, USA

Sep 282007

Civic LX 1.7L

Well after reading all the complaints on a 2001 Honda Civic I am glad I am not alone. I just can't believe this happened. Just like other people say "HONDAS ARE SUCH GOOD CARS, SO RELIABLE" That is bull. I am so disappointed in Hondas. I will never get another Honda again. I wouldn't have been so surprised if the car rolled over to 200,000 miles. Honda's are suppose to go on forever. That is a LIE. There needs to be a recall on 2001 Honda Civic Transmissions. I didn't get any signs of the car tranny going bad. I was on my way to work and the car was giving this jerking feeling when it would try to get into gear. On my way home, I was driving next thing I know my RPM shot up to 5 or 6 and I was only going 20mph. I was pissed off. I took to Honda to run a diagnostic test on it to make sure it was my tranny. But of course it was. $2600 dollars.

Who in their right minds have this kind of money lying around. If I wasn't still paying on this car I would have bought a new one. This doesn't make any sense. If anybody out there knows about a recall send me a comment or something.

- , Marietta, GA, USA

Sep 232007

Civic EX 1.7L

Driving home from work in traffic on rt.9 in N. J., my 2001 civic ex transmission decided to quit on me. Had no sign of problem until that day. The car would not move in any gear, blocking the left lane. Held up traffic for about a mile and half(what a sh*tty feeling). Luckily a tow truck came by(20 min. later} and towed me home ($125). As a mechanic i dropped the trany today. I shall take it apart during the week and see whats going on with it and if anybody is interested, let me know. I have been driving hondas since 1991 and never had this problem before. All i can say is hondas are not what they use to be.

- , Howell, NJ, USA

Sep 072007

Civic LX 1.7L

Everyone that has a problem with their transmission and you're trying to get some help from Honda, I have something I can email you, it's a Honda Service bulletin 04-036. I will paste just a little bit from it:

The vehicle does not move when you select Drive. The MIL comes on ('01 '03 models) or the D indicator blinks

('04 models) with A/T DTC P0730 (shift control system) set for 2001 '03 Civic 2-door with A/T: ALL

This is just a little but this is not a lie or a scam trust me. I spent 3 hours looking stuff up to try to get enough info on this problem for it to get fixed. I will hear back soon what Honda will do. I might have to talk to the General Manager of the Honda dealership with this service bulletin. I will NEVER own a Honda again tell everyone you now that if you buy a Honda you have a money pit.

- , Portland, OR, USA

Aug 172007

Wow I just ready every single review on this site and I feel like I wouldn't even know where to start. I was upset four days ago when my tranny went out on me, but after reading all of this I am even more upset now. My boyfriend had his car taken to an auto dealer yesterday and I asked them if they did tranny's. Instead of answering, the guy questions "what type of car?" I tell him 2001 Honda Civic EX. To my surprise he tells me that his girlfriend had the same exact problem with less mileage than me. He took it to the dealership and they supposedly repaired the whole thing for free. Now, after reading these reviews, I am thinking that they are definitely not going to take care of it. When I was 17, I remember looking at so many cars with my Dad (first car and only car purchase ever). I remember trying to point out so many + things about Honda just so I could get one. I had heard so many great things about them, how reliable they are, and all of my friends had them! The car was taken away from me when I went off to college down here in LA. For graduation I get it back as a grad gift. First thing that happens (probably within about 6 months), the window on the passenger side stops working. I had my boyfriend check the fuse, but that was not it. To take it in and get it fixed (I believe it is the motor) would cost me an amount I do not want to pay. So I have lived with it until this day. So, a little while later, I notice the brakes don't exactly sound so good. I called Dad and asked him when the breaks were taken car of and he said he had just done them. Well, when braking, my car jerks and also makes this really loud/scary noise. Not pretty. Then of course, a few days ago while driving real fast down a street (I live in Los Angeles), the car completely slows down to a halt. It drops to about 20mph, but the RPMs are running up like crazy. It was like I had accidentally shifted to neutral, but to my surprise, it was in drive! It just went REAL slow then I get to my destination. So I'm like uh oh what is going on. I call someone just to say what happened to my car and say good bye. I turn the car back on, and what do you know? The car does not drive or reverse. Isn't there something we could all do about this? Right now I am leaning towards just doing the tranny, and then selling it, and making damn sure I never even deal with Honda again. I have referred SO many people to them, it's ridiculous. Now it's my goal to make sure I tell almost everyone I know to never ever purchase a Honda, unless they would like the problems that come with it.. I still haven't replaced it :/

- , Los Angeles, CA, USA

Aug 232007

Civic LX

This is interesting... I bought my HONDA new and at 217 miles my check engine light came on! Brought it back to the dealer and come to find out, they said there were paper particles that somehow got in the transmission during manufacturing. I demanded a new car and told them I didn't pay $15,000 to get a lemon. They insisted that they flushed the transmission 3 times and there would be no particles left behind. Now that my transmission is completely blown at early mileage and as I learn that a transmission is like a delicate labyrinth structurally- I can only wonder if paper particles got left behind? Hmmm. The mechanic I have used (an independant Honda/Acura repair guy) said it does not make sense to rebuild for the simple fact that paper could still be present and there would be no way to guarantee all could be removed or flushed. Now my option is to have it replaced with a refurbished Honda trans. that has 45,000 miles on it. After reading all these reports of trannys going at 58k- I'm not sure I want to take the chance. Not to mention I have a cracked exhaust manifold, need 2 02 sensors, have a power steering leak and need the timing belt replaced. Another $2,000 in repairs on top of the transmission. I have already done the AC compressor for $800... when do the repairs end? This car is not paid off yet and is becoming a money pit!!! And to think I bought honda becasue of the reliability and reputation- wish I found this website sooner!

P. S- I spoke to the honda dealer I bought it from and as expected, they will take no responsibility for this.

- , Worcester, MA, USA

Aug 212007

Civic LX 1.7L

Transmission began slipping same day it completely failed. 127,000 miles does not seem normal for a transmission that has no towing and mainly highway miles. I bought Honda because of reliable transportation and this appears to be a major unreliable issue.

- , Toluca LakeC, CA, USA

Jun 142007

Civic ES 3.2L

Trans was slipping and then just died AT 106,000 miles. I took it to two mechanic shops and 150 dollars later I am told its the trans. The 2001 models are horrible and should have a recall. We are getting it rebuilt for 2,500 dollars! I have two Hondas and never will buy one again. I would have loved for it to last like an old "Honda" should but it seems 2001 was a lemon year for the Civic trans. Shame on Honda for not honoring us customers and issuing a recall or rebate.. something to help us out.

I will NEVER get another one as my AC stopped working at 90k, too. Our other Honda CRV is a 2003 model and has "slugged" problems and needs a sensor cleaned every 3k miles with the oil change... We were told that bad oil was used and caused this. We had it changed by professionals every 3k - 5k (manual says every 5k). I know its another complaint but I'm so done with these sheaty Hondas. We also had the fuel something or another die at 25k miles on the CRV but it was covered by the warranty... SO MANY ISSUES honda.

We have lost well over a two weeks worth of time from work. Over a month of scheduling rides, rentals, and taking off early from work. NEVER AGAIN!!!!

We should get a lawyer to place a lawsuit against this company. Any takers?

- , Pasadena, MD, USA

Aug 142007

Civic LX 1.8L

Any other transmission failures out there pissed enough to start a class action lawsuit??????

My transmission failed at 82,000 miles..... I did have it serviced regularly, but not @ Honda, so they won't cover a penny. It wasn't under warranty because I bought it used, so I can't afford to always bring it in to Honda. How would I know that the transmission would go out so early. A transmission in a Honda should last at least 200,000 miles, at least in the old days AND even if you didn't change the fluid all the time, they still lasted. I will never buy a Honda again. I already traded it in for a Nissan.

- , North Garden, VA, USA

Civic LX

Honda Civic 2001 LX at 58,000 miles. Transmission failed several times and recently the Check Engine light is on. The dealer told me the whole transmission system needs to be rebuilt. I searched Internet and found that this is a pretty common problem for 2001-2003 Civic. We should push Honda for recall.

- , Mundelein, IL, USA

Civic DX 1.7L

- , Calgary, AB, Canada

Civic LX 1.7L L

The car just stopped on Freeway. Did not give any sign except for last 10 miles when it was not picking up speed. Had to tow it away.

This seems to be big problem HONDA NEEDS TO ADDRESS THIS. NOW NEED to know if I need to get the PCM software update.

- , Fontana, CA, USA

Jun 172007

Civic EX 4

This is a problem that seems to exist since I brought the vehicle is the transmission. I have been advised this will need to be replaced.

- , Gardena, CA, USA

Jun 212007

Civic LX 4cyl

I cannot believe that this car with only 84,000 miles of mostly highway driving would have a complete transmission failure with no indication of a problem until it completely failed yesterday morning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This totally sucks!!!!!!!!

- , Marietta, GA, USA

Jun 282007

Civic EX 2.4L

Car drives fine one day - the next day I'm stuck on a hill, with a $3,200 bill. Here I always ranted against the reliability of an American car and the plastic components on the dash-board . . . I think I'll own American with broken pieces of dashboard all over the floor, than ever own a Honda again - with broken/cheap transmissions.

- , Issaquah, WA, USA

Aug 092007

My transmission just went out on my Honda Civic 2001. My car has 74K miles and I just did a Transmission fluid flush, at 60K miles, and they said it was fine. Have you guys delt with this through Honda Motors? or have had to pay yourselves. I got stuck in the middle of the freeway, I think this is a cause for a Recall, and everyone else is also having the same problem around this kind of miles. We have to do something.!!!

- , Diamond Bar, CA, USA