CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2001 Civic has transmission problems, transmission problems & more transmission problems. Did we mention transmission problems? And a dangerous defect with the front airbag that didn't get recalled for 10 years.

Although eventually the defective 2001 Civic airbag inflators were fixed under recalls in 2011 & 2013, that meant for 10 to 12 years airbags were activating with excessive force where metal fragments went shooting into passengers when the airbag deployed.

As for the 2001 Civic's transmission woes? Honda conducted a major transmission recall in 2004 & settled a class action lawsuit for defective transmissions in 2006. But, neither the recall or the lawsuit included the 2001 Civic.

Last thing to consider - the 2001 Civic is the most-recalled car ever, closely followed by the 2002 Civic & the 2001 Accord. The 2001 Civic is the 4th most-recalled vehicle overall, only a Ford truck & two Ford vans have more.

9.3

$2,333.00

1. replaced transmission (257 reports)
  2. rebuilt whole transmission (153 reports)
  4. get Honda to cover the cost (54 reports)
  5. buy a different car...can't afford the repair (23 reports)
  6. break down the transmission and fix (15 reports)
2001 Honda Civic transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Honda Civic:

2001 Honda Civic Owner Comments (Page 33 of 34)

Apr 122007

Civic LX 1.7L

I Purchased the 2001 civic used over a year ago with 70,000 miles, and the engine light went on 2 weeks after purchased it. Took it into the dealer under warranty and got it checked out and they claimed it was a generic loose gas cap code (but i suspect otherwise now). Knowing that, I continued to drive the car with the light intermittently turning on or off. After declining mileage and slipping gears, i took it in to a Honda dealership and checking the codes they found that the torque converter was breaking down, and despite a recent transmission fluid change there were metal fragments in the fluid. Needless to say I was shocked and appalled at needing to replace the transmission at 84k miles, the thought that the dealership I purchased from could have been lying to sell a lemon, and that Honda Corporate refuses to touch the issue peeves me as well. My previous Honda civic was dependable and trustworthy, this one is not.

- , Amherst, MA, USA

Apr 122007

Civic LX 1.6

Catastrophic transmission failure, no hints, no warning. Left me in the middle of a busy two lane road during rush hour. Had it towed to a Honda dealer, they wanted to charge me $3,900 for a complete replacement. WTF?!? Had it towed to a transmission specialist. Stay tuned for more details.

I have owned several Hondas and not had any major problems. This has me really wondering if my loyalty is misplaced.

- , Mundelein, IL, USA

Apr 142007

Civic EX 1.7

After reading other posts, is there much else to be said? Daughters 2001 Civic coupe EX trans would not engage. Dealer told me it would cost $3,700 to repair. Because of the fact I had once owned a 2000 and a 2002 Odyssey which required three trans replacements between them, I asked the dealer if this was a common problem with this particular year of the Civic. Of course, the dealer said that he has not seen many with this issue (internal failure was the diagnosis). I will never buy another Honda. My post as well as the many others pretty much explains why I have reached this conclusion.

- , Centreville, VA, USA

Apr 092007

Civic LX

Don't know how much to complain. Like everybody else here thought that Honda's were really reliable. I was coming back from the airport with 3 bags and the civic suddenly failed - right in the middle of the road on a Saturday evening. Spent $100 on towing and renting a car to get the civic to the dealer.

The dealer calls me Monday mentioning that I need a new transmission and it would cost me $3400!! Its only got 72K miles and I have serviced the transmission twice - a full flush. Lost all my faith on Honda....

- , Dallas, TX, USA

Mar 182007

Civic EX 2.0 VTEC

2001 civic. 46K miles. and they tell me my tranny's bad, and had to replace it, plus the throttle body! supposedly, as i write this, my deductible will kick in and cost me ONLY 500.00 U. S. but how can i brag about hondas now!

- , Hiram, OH, USA

Mar 182007

Civic EX 1.7L

I got a job that required to drive 140 miles round trip. At the time I was driving a gas guzzler. So I sold it and bought a Honda civic. I was told that the car would get approx 35 mpg and run forever. I changed the fluid when recommended using only honda fluid. Well about 80k the tranny started to slip occassionaly when cold. Then consistantly when cold, now all the time I have to lay off the gas to shift. I was quoted 2,300.00 for a rebuild and haven't been able to find one from a junk yard. My neighbor is a honda mechanic and he can't even get me a deal. I am so pissed off . I sold a reliable gas guzzler only to dump the difference in gas money into air conditioner control, struts twice and now a tranny. I am also lucky if I am getting 29 mpg I will post those other problems in a seperate complaint . But I just wanted to get this out . I dread the day when I get stuck. Right now I have to drive the car with slipping clutches (diagnosed by Honda) till it drops dead. Then I don't know what I will do. Hopefully ther will honda will get sued

- , Patchogue, NY, USA

Mar 142007

Civic LX 4 cyl

Bought Honda thinking I was getting my daughter a excellent car for college.... left her standing by the road! Never a warning TOTAL TRANSMISSION!

I have always drove Toyota's, Honda has always had a great rating and my daughter thought it was so sporty.... Untill now I have been won over thinking my next car would be a Honda also.... NOT NOW! My last Toyota now has over 200,000 miles.... The same transmission!!!! Running strong!

The mechanic said this is the 9th civic in the last 6mts, same problem! I think we need a CLASS ACTION SUIT.... MAKE HONDA PAY!

- , Eastpoint, FL, USA

Mar 122007

Civic LX 4 cyl

Bought new after owning prior Honda because of reliability. Last week, gears started slipping, but I attributed the problem to a cold engine. Then on way home from work it wouldn't engage any gears while trying to climb a hill. Shop told me there's a problem with the "secondary clutch" and the only way to repair is to replace the transmission. I can't believe this. Am told a new tranny costs $2,700 plus another grand for labor. Haven't decided on fixing it yet. Just un-freaking-believeable.

- , Arlington, VA, USA

Aug 072006

Civic EX

AUG 2006 MY TRANSMISSION DEAD. I TOOK IT TO A NON HONDA SHOP AND RUN THE COMPUTER TEST. I WAS TOLD THERE HAD BEEN PROBLEMS THAT HONDA KNEW ABOUT. FUNNY CAUSE I NEVER RECEIVED A RECALL NOTICE. THE TEST INDICTED TORQUE CONVERTER REPLACEMENT. THERE ONLY ONE QUESTION I HAVE. HOW LONG WILL THAT LAST AND WILL THAT SOLVE THE PROBLEM? THE SHOP EVEN GAVE ME THE COMPUTER PRINTOUT OF THE PROBLEM AND SOLUTION. I HAVE NOT DECIDED WHAT TO DO YET. ALL THIS HAPPENED WHILE PULLING IN TO WORK ON A MONDAY MORNING AND I STAY AN HOUR AWAY.:( I REALLY LIKE HONDA PRODUCTS BUT I WAS NOT AWARE OF THIS PROBLEM. I DO KNOW THAT I HAD TO STOP TAKING MY CAR TO THE SERVICE CENTER CAUSE SCREWS ECT.. WOULD ALWAYS COME UP MISSING AND THINGS BROKEN. THERE WAS A SERVICE RECALL ON THE LIGHT SWITCH. THEY FIX IT BUT BROKE THE HOUSING CASE. I DIDN'T FIND OUT UNTIL A COUPLE OF WEEKS LATER. IT TOOK 1 YEAR BEFORE THEY REPLACED THAT PART. SO I CAN'T SAY HONDA IS A BAD PRODUCT BECAUSE I HAVE BEEN PUTTING ON HIGHWAY MILES SINCE FOREVER. I THINK THE BEST SOLUTION FOR ME IS TO GET ANOTHER CAR!!!!! MAYBE OR MAYBE NOT A HONDA,

- , Myrtle, MS, USA

Mar 082007

Civic DX 1.6

After 92,000 mi, the transmission went out. Car wouldn't shift out of first. This comes 5 months after having 90,000 mi service done, at which time it was discovered the struts were bad and new bushings were needed. NEVER expected this much trouble from a Honda. Had an '85 Camry that had 175,000+ mi, some minor maintenance along the way, but nothing major.

- , Spring, TX, US

Jul 122006

Civic LX

The check engine light came on. Dealer said transmission is failing and need to replace torque convertor. No problems with the car until now. With 38,000 and only light driving, this is RIDICULOUS. Dealer thought I was drag racing the car. What is going on with Honda? I thought this was a reliable car.

- , Reston, VA, USA

Mar 032007

Civic LX

The transmission blew at 81,000 miles. Honda did pay for half of the parts of rebuilt transmission but then I was told that I needed new struts too. Not expected for a civic.

- , Owings Mills, MD, USA

Mar 032007

Civic LX 4 CY

IN HONDAS AFTER MADE AFTER 2000 THE TORQUE CONVERTERIN THE TRANSMISSIONS STARTS TO DISSINTEGRATE. AFTER THIS HAS GONE ON FOR A WHILE THE DEBRIS STOPS UP THE FILTER. THIS IS WHY AFTER YOU DRIVE IT A WHILE AND THE ENGINE GETS HOT IT WILL NOT GO. IT JUST REVS UP THE ENGINE. WHEN YOU STOP OR SHUT OFF THE ENGINE, THE DEBRIS SETTLES BACK DOWN IN THE FLUID AND IT WILL RUN AGAIN. MY MECHANIC TOLD ME THIS A PROBLEM HE IS SEEING A LOT. HONDA NEEDS TO RECALL THIS TORQUE CONVERTER.

- , Mount OLIVE, AL, USA

Oct 182006

Civic EX 3.2

Just found out my transmission is completely shot and will need a new or rebuilt tran. always maintained car, etc. dealer said that there were no fluid level problems or leaks, and reported that there were metal shavings in the fluid, indicating an internal breakdown. dealer hasn't decided what to do yet, but says that the problem is not covered by any warranty.

- , Prairie Village, KS, USA

Oct 172006

Civic DX ?

Like so many others on this site and on various other sites, my transmission just STOPPED in the middle of an intersection. The gas pedal would rev up but the car wouldn't move an inch. This car was paid off 2 months ago (go figure) and has 72,000 miles. Not a good reason for a complete rebuild of a transmission. Honda is infuriating me by not acknowleding any kind of problem and expecting consumers to pay for the damages resulting in their bad manufacture.

- , Vienna, VA, USA

Feb 152007

Civic EX 1.7 VTEC

I made it further than most 136K miles. I bought used so it may have been replaced. Bought this car off my '05 Saab trade in, to reduce cost and increase reliability. Was I wrong $2800 to replace tranny. I did not research this car much before I bought because I was expecting it to be like all Hondas. Well hopefully I learned something. I will have to keep this car forever to make up for the repair costs.

- , Knoxville, TN, USA

Feb 152007

Civic LX

Well, so much for reliability! My Honda Civic LX is only 5 1/2 years old with 78,000 miles on it and I'm looking at a $2,600 bill to get a new transmission put in! My car was running fine until it suddenly wouldn't move after a stop light! It was just revving and not going into any gear. I also have had brake problems with my car. Everytime I'm going down a hill a press my brakes lightly for a smooth stop it jerks on its own. I'll never get another Honda again!

- , Daytona Beach, FL, US

Feb 172007

Civic EX 1.7

My Wife drives the car as a comuter and its all freeway miles. I'm a mechanic and own my own shop So I know I take better care of the vehicle than most. Trans fluid has been changed 3 times with a fluid exchange system - not just a drain and fill as most shops do. I used Honda's ATF-Z1 fluid and not ATF with friction modifier added.

Although I can replace the transmission at no labor cost to myself - I'm still looking at $2,000 for the trans and fluids.

Hears the complaint - 130,000 miles on a well maintained vehicle ( Honda no less ) and I'm replacing a trans already - We bought the car under the impression or delusion of reliablility and that just isn't so anymore.

Honda better take notice - as I will never by another one and I'm sure there are more that feel the same. I will also state my opinion to every customer that comes into my shop looking at buying a Civic.

Its great that the motors run forever - but when major drivetrain failures occur at this low of milage - I have to take notice and change my thinking.

Good luck Honda - Stick to motorcycles/Lawnmowers and Generators - its what you do best.

Sincerely

Disappointed

- , San Leandro, CA, USA

Feb 052007

Civic EX 1.7L

I bought my Honda Civic new in 2001 to replace my 86' trans am. Anything of course, is more reliable than an 86' trans am with 180,000 miles on it except the 2001 Honda Civic. I am a full time college student, I work one full time job and one part time job also. I mistakenly went for Honda for reliability. Although I drive excessively, my tranny crapped out within 3 years of having the car. I was no where near done even paying it off, but because I had 68,000 miles, the dealership wouldn't help. I feel truly ass-invaded. I neither had the time nor money to fix this. Thank god for student loans.

- , Austin, TX, USA

Jan 262007

Civic EX

I, too, thought that Hondas were supposed to be reliable. Unfortunately, I am not the only one experiencing the inconvenience of barely making it home, having it towed, having to be without my car and practically having to sell my first born child to have the transmission fixed/replaced in an allegedly reliable car. Is it just me or is having to replace the transmission in a barely 6 year old car (2001 Civic EX with 63K miles) ridiculous?

- , Rockford, IL, US