CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2001 Civic has transmission problems, transmission problems & more transmission problems. Did we mention transmission problems? And a dangerous defect with the front airbag that didn't get recalled for 10 years.

Although eventually the defective 2001 Civic airbag inflators were fixed under recalls in 2011 & 2013, that meant for 10 to 12 years airbags were activating with excessive force where metal fragments went shooting into passengers when the airbag deployed.

As for the 2001 Civic's transmission woes? Honda conducted a major transmission recall in 2004 & settled a class action lawsuit for defective transmissions in 2006. But, neither the recall or the lawsuit included the 2001 Civic.

Last thing to consider - the 2001 Civic is the most-recalled car ever, closely followed by the 2002 Civic & the 2001 Accord. The 2001 Civic is the 4th most-recalled vehicle overall, only a Ford truck & two Ford vans have more.

9.3

$2,335.00

1. replaced transmission (254 reports)
  2. rebuilt whole transmission (151 reports)
  4. get Honda to cover the cost (54 reports)
  5. buy a different car...can't afford the repair (23 reports)
  6. break down the transmission and fix (15 reports)
2001 Honda Civic transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Honda Civic:

2001 Honda Civic Owner Comments (Page 34 of 34)

Dec 202006

Civic LX 1.7L

Well where do I start. I am the original owner, purchased the car in March 2001 and the radio started scanning on it's own. The car would cut off while driving brought the car to the dealer and they said oh it is the gas your using long story RECALL comes up fuel pump.

The rear makes a squeaky noise they changed the suspension 3 times under warranty turns out after wasting days at the dealer and them spraying lubricant to cover up the squeak it was the bushings. The computer was changed at 30k for the airbag sensors that would not shut off. BUT WAIT there's MORE !!! At 72,000 miles I came back from helping with the Hurricane Katrina relief the car was not paid off yet, 60 month loan. The car was parked here in N.Y. On my way home from work my first day back the transmission goes. At first I said your kidding it's got to be a sensor I turned the car off/on. I was pushed off the BQE at 2:30am by a passer by. The tow truck driver stated NOT A HONDA can't be the tranny must be a sensor but, of course approx $1,800 to fix the TRANSMISSION... I reported it to Honda their statement was like well out of warranty not even a keychain.. I gave the Customer Service Dept. a piece of my mind and they said well I am sorry you feel that way, I said look my freaking name up. I bought Honda's all my life, and SWORE by them and now it will be my LAST with the under the rap recalls. My transmission guy states when you go to the Dealer to pick up the Motor Mounts ask about it. He was there earlier this week they have crates of tranny's. The Service Dept. goes nothing for the Civic that's for the Accords, Pilots, Odesseys. I could of bought a Toyota or Nissan even better an American car which I know the tranny would of not went at 72k so much being a Guy who works for the city and has to drive everyday to work and needs a reliable car that I thought for sure would last. I feel bad to even trade or dump on someone paying the cash to fix I am pushing it now a over a yr later with a rebuilt tranny car has 90K

- , Staten Island, NY, USA

Oct 202006

Civic EX

My wife and I own 2 - 2001 Civic EXs. Hers has 89k miles (mostly highway). Her transmission just went out after slipping when changing gears for the past 7-10 days. Dealer gave us a quote of $2023 for parts/labor/tax. I pick up the car this afternoon. The car was in a minor front end collision about 6 weeks prior to the transmission going out. A railroad tie in a parking lot went under the license plate and through the radiator/ac condenser. It was a 5mph accident. I want to believe that since the transmission started going out less than a month after getting the car back from that repair, it was related. Unfortuntely Honda cannot say it was so the Insurance company will not cover it as related to that accident.

- , Denton, TX, USA

Dec 082006

Civic Coupe 2 Dr V4

I GOT THIS CAR FROM A PRIVATE DEALER, I ALWAYS WANTED A HONDA FOR THE DEPENDABALITY. I HAVE MADE 4 PAYMENTS ON THIS CAR, AND HAVE HAD TO REPLACE STRUTS, CV BOOT AND THEN THE OTHER DAY, IT JUST WOULD NOT GO, I WAS ON MY WAY TO SCHOOL ON A MAJOR ROAD AND IT JUST ACTED AS IF IT WAS IN NEUTRAL, NO WARNING OR ANYTHING. MY MOTHER CALLED THE HONDA CUSTOMER SERVICE AND YOU CAN REQUEST TO GET HELP IN HAVING YOUR CAR REPAIRED, BASED ON THE PROBLEMS, BUT A HONDA DEALER HAS TO TELL YOU THE PROBLEM, AND GIVE YOU AN ESTIMATE OF THE REPAIRS. WE HAD TO TOW IT THAT EVENING TO A TRANSMISSION SHOP, WHICH IS NOT A HONDA PLACE , THE NEAREST HONDA DEALER IS 50 MILES FROM OUR HOME, AND WE COULD NOT AFFORD THAT BIG OF A TOW BILL, AND EVEN IF WE GOT IT TO THE HONDA DEALER AND IT WOULD NOT BE A GUARANTEE THEY WILL HELP PAY. WE ARE VERY UPSET , I HAVE SEARCHED ABOUT THIS PROBLEM AND THERE ARE ALOT OF TRANSMISSION PROBLEMS IN THE CIVICS

- , Mount Airy, NC, USA

Nov 282006

Civic LX

Thanks to all of your complaints, I don't feel so bad about my Honda 2001 with 65,000 completely dying due to a bad torque converter that caused the transmission oil to burn. I was going to school in NYC (65 miles away from home) when the car started going in reverse every time I hit the gas! No warning at all! I keep UTD on all of my maintenance. This is completely BS and Honda hasn't heard the end of me! I will never buy a Honda again.

- , Middle Island, NY, USA

Oct 012006

Civic LX

There was no warning at all. The transmission just went out. No slipping, no skipping no nothing. I am a single mom of three kids. The purpose of buying a Honda was the to keep from ever being stranded. HA HA the joke is on me. My Honda decided at a stop sign to never want to engage into a gear again. What a joke. Honda's last forever...... I guess they can, just no transmission. This will definitely be my last Honda.

- , Columbia, SC, USA

Sep 212006

Civic LX

I am really upset with Honda. I bought a Honda so I wouldn't have problems with it, and I've had a bunch. The worst by far has been the transmission failure. Like other people with the same problem, one day it just went out. OF COURSE Honda won't do anything about it. The car has 86000 miles on it and I always keep it tuned up, oil changes, etc. Now I am going to have to pay upwards of 3000 dollars to pay for it. There seems to be alot of people with the same problem and Honda needs to fix it.

- , Long Beach, CA, USA

Sep 172006

Civic EX

I owned a 1994 Honda Civic DX which was amazing and I never had a problem in all its 150,000 miles until a hit and run driver totalled it this year. I got the 2001 Civic EX (new) because like everyone else I still heard glowing reports about Honda and also because I loved my older Civic.

But right away I felt it wasn't up to the same standards as my older model. It seemed less sturdy. But the kicker came when the transmission went without warning. Like the other people here I take good care of my Civics. I keep UTD on oil changes and use good gas etc. We are older drivers (40's) so no unusual driving habits. I think its insane that when they towed my car into the dealership, they came back with a $4000 estimate!

A car 5 years old and under 100,000 miles should not need a whole new transmission! The transmission was completely gone. What happened to whinning? Slipping gears? We had no clues and we're not mechanically challenged. So we had it towed out of there and brought to an honest transmission place but still have to pay $2100 for a rebuilt. Monday Im calling to give the go on the repair and I'm fuming.

I think all these car critics ought to give a closer look at Honda instead of just whipping out the 5 star reviews they've done in the past. Honda (and Toyota) don't help the consumer if their vehicles are defective. I also have an issue with Toyota for a defective head gasket on my non commercial use truck which blew the engine at 90,000 miles (40,000 after they installed the recalled head gasket which was defective). Again the manufacturer turned a blind eye.

Consumer beware! Honda and Toyota are not what they used to be.

And the Auto Critics have become lazy.

- , Central, NJ, USA

Aug 132006

Civic LX

Jumps out of second gear when down shifting. Honda should have covered this by warranty but said it would wear in and really wasn't a problem.

- , Norman, OK, USA

Jun 212006

Civic EX

I have 74,000 mostly freeway miles on my Honda Civic EX. How ridiculous to have to replace the transmission. I've always kept up with all required maintenance on the car. This is the first Honda I've ever owned, and it's the last Honda I'll every own. What a HUGE disappointment!!

- , Graham, WA, USA

Mar 292006

Civic LX

Honda fails to deliver what they promise (guess what quality customer services). Tranny goes bad due to the faulty solenoid and in US Honda reimbursed to several owners, but declining to me. Honda Civic is absolutely the worst car of the Year in North America. I will advise every one to think before going stylish about the new design. As new design comes at the cost of transmission. Honda America and Honda Canada both failed to compensate my losses and mental torture, its no more quality you are buying. As we bought thinking it will last for at least 200,000 miles but it's dying at 43000 unbelievable HONDA... Please Don't buy HONDAs they are TONDA's Transmission ordeal nationally declared in America's.

- , Mississauga, ON, Canada