CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2001 Civic has transmission problems, transmission problems & more transmission problems. Did we mention transmission problems? And a dangerous defect with the front airbag that didn't get recalled for 10 years.

Although eventually the defective 2001 Civic airbag inflators were fixed under recalls in 2011 & 2013, that meant for 10 to 12 years airbags were activating with excessive force where metal fragments went shooting into passengers when the airbag deployed.

As for the 2001 Civic's transmission woes? Honda conducted a major transmission recall in 2004 & settled a class action lawsuit for defective transmissions in 2006. But, neither the recall or the lawsuit included the 2001 Civic.

Last thing to consider - the 2001 Civic is the most-recalled car ever, closely followed by the 2002 Civic & the 2001 Accord. The 2001 Civic is the 4th most-recalled vehicle overall, only a Ford truck & two Ford vans have more.

9.3

$2,332.00

1. replaced transmission (257 reports)
  2. rebuilt whole transmission (152 reports)
  4. get Honda to cover the cost (54 reports)
  5. buy a different car...can't afford the repair (23 reports)
  6. break down the transmission and fix (15 reports)
2001 Honda Civic transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Honda Civic:

2001 Honda Civic Owner Comments (Page 5 of 34)

Dec 092010

Civic LX Coupe 1.7L I-4

Bought the car with a freshly rebuilt transmission a month later it pissed out all of its transmission fluid the shop admitted it could have been their fault and fixed it for free. A month or two later the torque converter went on it too. About three months later it started slipping and shifting real rough. I put some Lucas transmission fix which made it better for a few months with only intermittent rough shifts. Then the other night it was about 3 degrees and there was about a 10-15 second delay from moving the gear lever and the actual transmission shifting. These automatic transmissions are complete junk wheres this Honda reliability I heard so much about. I was real excited to have my first Honda but now every time the transmission makes any noise I'm in fear of a $2500 repair.

- , East Syracuse, NY, USA

Dec 142011

Civic LX 1.7L 4 cyl

I put Honda Customer Service on blast using twitter. They responded VERY fast and even got my info to call, but I am certain it was a hush hush move. When they called they basically said "sorry sir, nothing we can do." I am in a real pickle now because I need to start work out of town and my ol' lady will be stuck here with no way to get the kids to/from school. The repair is more than what the car is worth so I REALLY don't wanna fix it.

- , Hesperia, CA, US

Nov 112011

Civic DX 1.7L

Honda service confirmed need to replace transmission assembly for under $3,000.00 (more than the car is worth). My car is only 77K miles. I'll try calling the Honda Hotline and ask if they can consider out-of warranty repair.

- , Dededo, Guam, Guam

Jan 052012

Civic EX

I bought this car 2 years ago and have had nothing but problems. Just recently at 107k miles I had to get new struts, new engine mounts, new catalytic converter (2x in 1 year), new timing belt, new oxygen sensors and something was wrong with the electrical parts. Took it back because I heard a noise while in 1st and 2nd gear.

Turns out its chipped gear teeth and going to cost thousands of dollars to fix. My mechanic said its basically rebuilding the transmission. Today I heard another sound. I have been calling the used car dealership for weeks trying to find out whats covered in my extended warranty. Finally they gave me the info.

I called the warranty company and they said it is a powertrain warranty and covers transmission and engine problems. GREAT...so this should be free!! However, it expires on 2/6/12 or when I reach 108,696 miles. I looked at my speedometer and I am at 108,610. I dropped off my car at my mechanic and it is currently waiting to be fixed at 108,623 miles. I can't believe my luck. Just 73 more miles and the extended warranty would be useless.

I will find out soon if it will be covered in full. Even if I have to pay for part of it I'm just going to get it fixed. Then sell this car!!! It has been nothing but problems and belongs in a junk yard. I got this car because I thought it would be reliable. Honda,108k miles and now this...REALLY???!!!

Update from Jan 17, 2012: So I found out basically it is complete transmission failure. I've read a lot of complaints and find that most of the time it's the automatic transmission that fails. For those who had their manual transmission fail, did you also have to get a new one a few years later?? That seems to be the pattern for everyone else that has the automatic.

Today my mechanic told me they are going to put in a new transmission and my extended warranty should cover it. Incredible news. They had to tow it to their other shop for building the new transmission because if they would have drove it then my warranty would have expired. Apparently an investigator from the warranty company has to come check it out to make sure it's a valid claim. Plus they don't believe I am still within the miles of the warranty. Who knows how long this is going to take. If they deny my claim or tell me only part of the new transmission will be covered I will flip!!! My father plans on getting a lawyer involved if that's the case because this extended warranty was an extra $2k-$3k. Which is roughly how much this is going to cost.

There's no way anyone will ever buy this car from me with all these horrible reviews online. I'm trading in this piece of junk in as soon as it's returned back to me. The place I bought it from doesn't even want to buy it back. Not surprised!!! This car has been a complete nightmare. I am shocked it hasn't been recalled. Honda clearly knows that this is a huge problem, but they most likely can't afford the financial hit that they will take by issuing a recall. Shame on them!! Honda = worst quality. Subaru Impreza WRX here I come!!!

- , Huntington Station, NY, US

Jan 082012

Civic LX 1.7L

January 8th 2012 I was driving home from my cousin's house on the Ortega West 74 at 1am. The car started to be shifting sporadically as I was going about 30 downhill. For anyone that knows the 74 is a dangerous curvy one lane highway on the edge of a mountain. The car basically stopped in the middle of the highway at night and nowhere to pull over. I started it back up and it basically crawled at 5mph till I reached the part where you could pull the car over. I had no reception on my phone due to the mountainous area so I was basically stranded. I checked the motor oil (pretty difficult at night) transmission fluid, water etc and everything seemed fine. Started the car back up and started crawling on the highway with the car warning lights on in heavy fog. Basically a 1 and a half hour drive turned into a 3 hour and a half drive. Since then I've checked the with a obd2 scanner and spoke with numerous mechanics. The torque converter went out on the car taking the transmission with it, which from what I read is a extremely common occurrence with the 2001 Honda Civic LX. 5 days beforehand I took it in to a Honda Dealership for a alignment and checkup, everything checked out fine. Saying I could of died or been seriously injured isn't a stretch or anything close to a exaggeration. I'm 22 years old, independent and am currently unemployed. I basically spent all my money on this car 2 years beforehand thinking it was a good investment, and now it needs more than half the initial pay (3000$) to fix it. Through out the years i've taken extremely good care of it with routine maintenance etc. At this point I have absolutely no funds to fix the car and will be speaking with the Honda to see if they can propose anything to remedy this situation as they are the ones who appear to be at fault not myself. Dissatisfaction isn't the tip of this mammoth iceberg, this is a complete nightmare.

- , Galt, CA, USA

Jan 062012

Civic LX 1.7l14 Mpi

Friday afternoon, my granddaughter & I was doing our usual routine. We had come to a stop light and the car was fine, as I tried to take off in drive, the car acted as it was in neutral and would not move. We actually had to be pushed out of traffic and thank God, we was not on the five lane highway that we was about to turn on and then all of a sudden it just quit moving. And just my luck, there's a transmission shop behind the gas station to where my vehicle was pushed, so it was confirmed today that it was the transmission and it completely failed. I have read too many reports and now I'm scared to have it fixed and it happens again. Honda really should be ashamed & really did like my civic.

- , Loganville, GA, USA

Feb 212011

Civic

I will definitely get you some pictures of the transmissions that have been in and out of this car. I went to a place called Able Auto Repair 772.462.0061. He uses a company called LKQ who supplies used, low-mileage transmissions for 2001 Honda Civics with a one year warranty for parts and labor. So far we have gone through 2. That means that THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG WITH THE 2001 TRANSMISSIONS FOR THE HONDA CIVIC!!!! Please Honda make this right. My daughter needs this car to go to school. We don't have alot of money. I couldn't afford the Honda labor hourly rates. HELP! We're a plain old middle class working family. Right now the car didn't even make it from the repair shop with the 2nd transmission home. How many more people DO YOU HAVE TO HEAR FROM TO LISTEN!!!

- , Port Saint Lucie, FL, USA

Dec 122011

Civic LX 3.2L

Not very happy with a bad transmission at 98k miles. All I hear is how great Honda's run for such a long time, yet I get this one? Just like anything with this type of situation, this is brand damage in my book. I was convinced that all Honda automobiles were long lasting, reliable vehicles. Now I have been jerked out of this comfort, feeling like I was screwed. I like Honda, yet I am now no longer a believer in the hype. Buy, buy, has now turned into BYE BYE.

Bury

- , Phoenix, AZ, USA

Nov 282008

Civic

At 47,000 miles my car just died on a main road right in front of a transmission repair shop. So, rather than take it to Honda, I took in to be repaired. Now at 60,000 miles it is time to replace the timing belt -- at the same time I had the water pump replaced. A substantial $$ amount to fix; but rather than having the belt go and do damage, I decided to take care of it. Now, the car overheats. My mechanic replaces the thermostat (no big deal). Again the car overheats -- well maybe a defective thermostat -- maybe not since it happens again. Well I now take it to Honda and they tell me the head gasket needs to be replaced and the heads need to be machined. OK more money. I get the car back and hear a sound like a flat tire when I am driving slowly. If I put my foot on the gas it goes away. Back to Honda. They replace the struts (another bit of cash). I pick up the car and the noise returns on the opposite side. The car has been in the shop for over a month and now they determine it was not the struts but the torque converter and, if they change that, there may be other transmission damage but that cannot be determined until they get in there. So many people have raved about Hondas and I love my little Civic but it has been a money pit beyond belief. And now I feel if I get a new torque converter some other costs may follow. It has been a horror show.

- , New Hyde Park, NY, USA

Dec 092011

Civic

You know, I spent the money and bought a 2001 honda with low miles for my son to commute back and forth from his college classes and the transmission goes out in less that 3years with only 150k miles on it? Bullshit, honda cars are a joke!!! Never again would a buy one and I wait to sell this wasted investment! Thanx honda corp! Once again you've proved that the quality in your automobiles have sunken to new lows!!!! Fix the defects in your flippin cars before you air them on the market!!!!

- , Antioch, CA, US

Aug 242011

Civic LX 1.7L

I am just confused... its a Honda. How does the transmission go at 126,000 miles?? Apparently im not the only one... Lord knows what this one will cost to fix. Probably quite a pretty penny.

- , Middletown, NY, US

Nov 252011

Civic LX 1.8L

My 2001 Civic transmission issue is exactly the same as most listed here, the Civic ran fine till last week, I am the single owner of the car and been meticulous with maintenance. Then suddenly over the Thanksgiving weekend as I stepped on the gas, the car revved up but did not move. Fortunately I was just down the street. Now the mechanic is asking for $2200. Question is if I do spend that amount and get a new transmission, what's the guarantee if that one won't fail?

- , Austin, TX, USA

Jul 182011

Civic

My story sounds a lot like the other ones I've been reading on this site. Out of the blue, with no advanced warning, the transmission failed on my way home. Fortunately, I was not on a busy road and very close to home. Called AAA & my car was towed to the nearest Honda dealership. I was shocked that this happened since I had always heard that hondas lasted much longer than this (My Civic is a 2001, but only has @90,000 miles).I was quoted a price of $3200 to replace the transmission. I called the Honda hotline to request assistance through their Goodwill program. A customer service representative took my information & said someone would get back to me. I received a call back the next morning, but I was at work when the call came in. For the next 2 days I made repeated calls back (left over a dozen messages) and no one returned my calls. Finally, I called the customer service number & was told I need to speak to the case worker assigned, but she was not available at this time, but I could leave her a message. This is when I lost it & eventually started crying. Amazingly, the representative suddenly became available. She was very rude to me & told me that she had reviewed my case & there was nothing they could do, since my car was no longer under warranty. I replied, very politely, "I know it's not under warranty. If it were still under warranty, I wouldn't need your Goodwill program, would I?" She just kept repeating the same thing to me & she was very rude. I have a call into her supervisor, to report her behavior. Doubt if it will do any good, but I will feel better. Very frustrated with Honda right now.

- , Emmaus, PA, USA

Jul 082011

Civic LX

I had done all maintenance on this 2001 Honda Civic(111k) as per schedule and all of a sudden the reverse didn't work.I took it to a Honda dealer and they said it's internal transmission failure and estimated $3500 to replace it. Are you kidding me...Some other repair shops are asking from $ 2100-2500. I called Honda costumer service and they said it's an old car.So I have decided to sell it as I have another one.Really bad from Honda.They should have some recall for these transmission problems.

No more Honda for life time.

- , EAST HARTFORD, CT, USA

Oct 022011

Civic 1.7L

So, I'm not feeling alone that this happened to my lil Civic! I'm glad mine made it to 160,000, it seems most on this sight it happened way b4. I'm just deciding what to do, if I should spend $2500, or just scrap the car. So if anyone had the tranny fixed and has been driving it awhile, please let me know if you experienced any more problems with it. I know it's been hard to find one in the junk yard and now I know why!!!! I'm not too upset because I paid $7500 for the car 5 yrs ago and I've had nothing wrong except this. I know this is a major repair, but I hope it's not wishful thinking that if I fix it nothing else will go wrong. Please email me your feedback!!!

- , South Bend, IN, USA

Oct 092011

Civic LX 1.7L L4

I was driving back from a friend's house and my car just stopped moving, well transmission stopped. Getting it towed over 30 miles was terrible. Especially on my birthday weekend. I have no car and no rides. Work is close to impossible and school is becoming very hard just because i cannot find any rides. I need to get the car fixed since i have put so much into it. It will be costly and i hope that others do not have to suffer with Honda's mistake in the 2001 Honda civic.

- , Traverse City, MI, USA

Oct 032011

Civic LX 1.7L

On the way to school while driving on the freeway my Civic decided that it didn't want to continue working anymore. There was traffic luckily (never thought I would say that), so when the transmission failed I tried my best to pull over to the side. I had to get it towed. When starting it, it'll rev extremely high and unable to go into any forward gear. I'm a college student with the odd notion that somehow Honda built reliable cars and would stand by them in order to protect that idea. I see now that "Honda quality" is just a joke.

- , Houston, TX, USA

Oct 032011

Civic LX

My 2001 Honda Civic, was purchase for my son, a senior in HS on 23 Jun 11. I drove the car, both, on the interstate and in the city before I purchased the vehicle. There were no noticeable fallacies noted during my test drive so I brought the vehicle. About one month and a half after I purchased the vehicle, my son was driving home without any warning; the car wouldn’t shift to the higher gears and lost all forward power. I took the vehicle AAMCO and AAMCO recommend the following repairs: New Torque Converter, Front Mount, Banner Kit, Filter and a new transmission. $2,580.65 later, two weeks after the repairs were completed, my son experienced yet another “Total” Transmission failure again. Luckily AAMCO, stands by their product so I only had to pay an additional $200.00 dollars for a regulator. The repairs were the exact same problem, over 200,000 customers were experiencing with the 2001 Honda Civic. Honda is and has been aware of this problem but never recalled this vehicle. I will NEVER purchase a Honda again, and I will tell all that I come in contact with as well.

- , Newport News, VA, USA

Jul 202011

Civic LX D17a1

Second-Third Clutch Pack wore, slipped for years. Started car one day and it wouldn't move at all. Put in neutral and brought temperature up, shut off, restarted car, put in gear, moved like a charm. Shut car off (hot), restarted, wouldn't move.

Replaced trans with 100,000 km salvaged transmission. Cost - $650 + Labour

Drove car for a week and noticed familiar problems.

Put 15000 km on trans since. Getting worse every day.

K20A2 fits nicely with an A/M passenger side mount, RSX rad, clutch master/slave (and lines), cv's, shifter cables, and shifter box installed..

Honda laughed and hung up when I called their 1-800 complaint line. Local dealer showed no sympathy and said a REMANUFACTURED trans from honda is 2500, or 5000 if you choose to keep your old one. If they want 2500 for a core charge, they obviously are in desperate need for these transmission cases since they are trying to supply 1.5 million (stat from 2004) users with remanufactured garbage.

If 750 complaints are actually filled out on this website, by people that take the time to complain, how many people do you think actually have had this issue by 2011? I recently read on a site that by 2004 there were 1.5 mil complaints about the 2001 alone..

Subaru here I come.. Thanks Honda for letting me down. What changed between now and the mid 90's? Stop caring? Can't afford to make a good product? Look at your ATV lineup for example. You stopped making the sportrax lineup in 09 and I'm only hearing now rumors of a release in 2013.. Maybe you should discontinue your vehicle line and your quad line, keep making O/B engines, lawn mowers, you know.. things that the chinese can make in smaller sweatshops that you'll soon be downgrading to.

Love,

Derek

- , Saskatoon, SK - Saskatchewan, canada

Dec 042010

Civic DX OR LX

Had just had significant amount of repairs/work done to this car in the summer of 2010 to get it up to snuff and running well. Timing belt, new tires, and more. Then the transmission went up in December 2010....That's what the consensus seems to be. Had it "looked" at, but not diagnosed and in a shop. Several mechanic friends stopped by and said it was the transmission. When you start the engine it revs up. When you put the car in gear you can move it. Finally getting it towed to dealer and then Honda will decide if they will compensate partial because there seems to be a highly uncommon amount of transmission problems/failure with Honda models made from 1999-2004. We'll see....but the transmission to go out in a Honda with just over 90,000??

- , Owings Mills, MD, USA