Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2001 Civic has transmission problems, transmission problems & more transmission problems. Did we mention transmission problems? And a dangerous defect with the front airbag that didn't get recalled for 10 years.

Although eventually the defective 2001 Civic airbag inflators were fixed under recalls in 2011 & 2013, that meant for 10 to 12 years airbags were activating with excessive force where metal fragments went shooting into passengers when the airbag deployed.

As for the 2001 Civic's transmission woes? Honda conducted a major transmission recall in 2004 & settled a class action lawsuit for defective transmissions in 2006. But, neither the recall or the lawsuit included the 2001 Civic.

Last thing to consider - the 2001 Civic is the most-recalled car ever, closely followed by the 2002 Civic & the 2001 Accord. The 2001 Civic is the 4th most-recalled vehicle overall, only a Ford truck & two Ford vans have more.

1. replaced transmission (253 reports)
  2. rebuilt whole transmission (151 reports)
  4. get Honda to cover the cost (54 reports)
  5. buy a different car...can't afford the repair (23 reports)
  6. break down the transmission and fix (15 reports)
2001 Honda Civic transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Honda Civic:

2001 Honda Civic Owner Comments (Page 5 of 34)

Jan 062012

Civic LX 1.7l14 Mpi

Friday afternoon, my granddaughter & I was doing our usual routine. We had come to a stop light and the car was fine, as I tried to take off in drive, the car acted as it was in neutral and would not move. We actually had to be pushed out of traffic and thank God, we was not on the five lane highway that we was about to turn on and then all of a sudden it just quit moving. And just my luck, there's a transmission shop behind the gas station to where my vehicle was pushed, so it was confirmed today that it was the transmission and it completely failed. I have read too many reports and now I'm scared to have it fixed and it happens again. Honda really should be ashamed & really did like my civic.

- , Loganville, GA, USA

Feb 212011

I will definitely get you some pictures of the transmissions that have been in and out of this car. I went to a place called Able Auto Repair 772.462.0061. He uses a company called LKQ who supplies used, low-mileage transmissions for 2001 Honda Civics with a one year warranty for parts and labor. So far we have gone through 2. That means that THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG WITH THE 2001 TRANSMISSIONS FOR THE HONDA CIVIC!!!! Please Honda make this right. My daughter needs this car to go to school. We don't have alot of money. I couldn't afford the Honda labor hourly rates. HELP! We're a plain old middle class working family. Right now the car didn't even make it from the repair shop with the 2nd transmission home. How many more people DO YOU HAVE TO HEAR FROM TO LISTEN!!!

- , Port Saint Lucie, FL, USA

Dec 122011

Civic LX 3.2L

Not very happy with a bad transmission at 98k miles. All I hear is how great Honda's run for such a long time, yet I get this one? Just like anything with this type of situation, this is brand damage in my book. I was convinced that all Honda automobiles were long lasting, reliable vehicles. Now I have been jerked out of this comfort, feeling like I was screwed. I like Honda, yet I am now no longer a believer in the hype. Buy, buy, has now turned into BYE BYE.

- , Phoenix, AZ, USA

Nov 282008

At 47,000 miles my car just died on a main road right in front of a transmission repair shop. So, rather than take it to Honda, I took in to be repaired. Now at 60,000 miles it is time to replace the timing belt -- at the same time I had the water pump replaced. A substantial $$ amount to fix; but rather than having the belt go and do damage, I decided to take care of it. Now, the car overheats. My mechanic replaces the thermostat (no big deal). Again the car overheats -- well maybe a defective thermostat -- maybe not since it happens again. Well I now take it to Honda and they tell me the head gasket needs to be replaced and the heads need to be machined. OK more money. I get the car back and hear a sound like a flat tire when I am driving slowly. If I put my foot on the gas it goes away. Back to Honda. They replace the struts (another bit of cash). I pick up the car and the noise returns on the opposite side. The car has been in the shop for over a month and now they determine it was not the struts but the torque converter and, if they change that, there may be other transmission damage but that cannot be determined until they get in there. So many people have raved about Hondas and I love my little Civic but it has been a money pit beyond belief. And now I feel if I get a new torque converter some other costs may follow. It has been a horror show.

- , New Hyde Park, NY, USA

Dec 092011

You know, I spent the money and bought a 2001 honda with low miles for my son to commute back and forth from his college classes and the transmission goes out in less that 3years with only 150k miles on it? Bullshit, honda cars are a joke!!! Never again would a buy one and I wait to sell this wasted investment! Thanx honda corp! Once again you've proved that the quality in your automobiles have sunken to new lows!!!! Fix the defects in your flippin cars before you air them on the market!!!!

- , Antioch, CA, USA

Aug 242011

Civic LX 1.7L

I am just confused... its a Honda. How does the transmission go at 126,000 miles?? Apparently im not the only one... Lord knows what this one will cost to fix. Probably quite a pretty penny.

- , Middletown, NY, USA

Nov 252011

Civic LX 1.8L

My 2001 Civic transmission issue is exactly the same as most listed here, the Civic ran fine till last week, I am the single owner of the car and been meticulous with maintenance. Then suddenly over the Thanksgiving weekend as I stepped on the gas, the car revved up but did not move. Fortunately I was just down the street. Now the mechanic is asking for $2200. Question is if I do spend that amount and get a new transmission, what's the guarantee if that one won't fail?

- , Austin, TX, USA

Jul 182011

My story sounds a lot like the other ones I've been reading on this site. Out of the blue, with no advanced warning, the transmission failed on my way home. Fortunately, I was not on a busy road and very close to home. Called AAA & my car was towed to the nearest Honda dealership. I was shocked that this happened since I had always heard that hondas lasted much longer than this (My Civic is a 2001, but only has @90,000 miles).I was quoted a price of $3200 to replace the transmission. I called the Honda hotline to request assistance through their Goodwill program. A customer service representative took my information & said someone would get back to me. I received a call back the next morning, but I was at work when the call came in. For the next 2 days I made repeated calls back (left over a dozen messages) and no one returned my calls. Finally, I called the customer service number & was told I need to speak to the case worker assigned, but she was not available at this time, but I could leave her a message. This is when I lost it & eventually started crying. Amazingly, the representative suddenly became available. She was very rude to me & told me that she had reviewed my case & there was nothing they could do, since my car was no longer under warranty. I replied, very politely, "I know it's not under warranty. If it were still under warranty, I wouldn't need your Goodwill program, would I?" She just kept repeating the same thing to me & she was very rude. I have a call into her supervisor, to report her behavior. Doubt if it will do any good, but I will feel better. Very frustrated with Honda right now.

- , Emmaus, PA, USA

Jul 082011

Civic LX

I had done all maintenance on this 2001 Honda Civic(111k) as per schedule and all of a sudden the reverse didn't work.I took it to a Honda dealer and they said it's internal transmission failure and estimated $3500 to replace it. Are you kidding me...Some other repair shops are asking from $ 2100-2500. I called Honda costumer service and they said it's an old car.So I have decided to sell it as I have another one.Really bad from Honda.They should have some recall for these transmission problems.

No more Honda for life time.

Oct 022011

Civic 1.7L

So, I'm not feeling alone that this happened to my lil Civic! I'm glad mine made it to 160,000, it seems most on this sight it happened way b4. I'm just deciding what to do, if I should spend $2500, or just scrap the car. So if anyone had the tranny fixed and has been driving it awhile, please let me know if you experienced any more problems with it. I know it's been hard to find one in the junk yard and now I know why!!!! I'm not too upset because I paid $7500 for the car 5 yrs ago and I've had nothing wrong except this. I know this is a major repair, but I hope it's not wishful thinking that if I fix it nothing else will go wrong. Please email me your feedback!!!

- , South Bend, IN, USA

Oct 092011

Civic LX 1.7L L4

I was driving back from a friend's house and my car just stopped moving, well transmission stopped. Getting it towed over 30 miles was terrible. Especially on my birthday weekend. I have no car and no rides. Work is close to impossible and school is becoming very hard just because i cannot find any rides. I need to get the car fixed since i have put so much into it. It will be costly and i hope that others do not have to suffer with Honda's mistake in the 2001 Honda civic.

- , Traverse City, MI, USA

Oct 032011

Civic LX 1.7L

On the way to school while driving on the freeway my Civic decided that it didn't want to continue working anymore. There was traffic luckily (never thought I would say that), so when the transmission failed I tried my best to pull over to the side. I had to get it towed. When starting it, it'll rev extremely high and unable to go into any forward gear. I'm a college student with the odd notion that somehow Honda built reliable cars and would stand by them in order to protect that idea. I see now that "Honda quality" is just a joke.

- , Houston, TX, USA

Oct 032011

Civic LX

My 2001 Honda Civic, was purchase for my son, a senior in HS on 23 Jun 11. I drove the car, both, on the interstate and in the city before I purchased the vehicle. There were no noticeable fallacies noted during my test drive so I brought the vehicle. About one month and a half after I purchased the vehicle, my son was driving home without any warning; the car wouldn’t shift to the higher gears and lost all forward power. I took the vehicle AAMCO and AAMCO recommend the following repairs: New Torque Converter, Front Mount, Banner Kit, Filter and a new transmission. $2,580.65 later, two weeks after the repairs were completed, my son experienced yet another “Total” Transmission failure again. Luckily AAMCO, stands by their product so I only had to pay an additional $200.00 dollars for a regulator. The repairs were the exact same problem, over 200,000 customers were experiencing with the 2001 Honda Civic. Honda is and has been aware of this problem but never recalled this vehicle. I will NEVER purchase a Honda again, and I will tell all that I come in contact with as well.

- , Newport News, VA, USA

Jul 202011

Civic LX D17a1

Second-Third Clutch Pack wore, slipped for years. Started car one day and it wouldn't move at all. Put in neutral and brought temperature up, shut off, restarted car, put in gear, moved like a charm. Shut car off (hot), restarted, wouldn't move.

Replaced trans with 100,000 km salvaged transmission. Cost - $650 + Labour

Drove car for a week and noticed familiar problems.

Put 15000 km on trans since. Getting worse every day.

K20A2 fits nicely with an A/M passenger side mount, RSX rad, clutch master/slave (and lines), cv's, shifter cables, and shifter box installed..

Honda laughed and hung up when I called their 1-800 complaint line. Local dealer showed no sympathy and said a REMANUFACTURED trans from honda is 2500, or 5000 if you choose to keep your old one. If they want 2500 for a core charge, they obviously are in desperate need for these transmission cases since they are trying to supply 1.5 million (stat from 2004) users with remanufactured garbage.

If 750 complaints are actually filled out on this website, by people that take the time to complain, how many people do you think actually have had this issue by 2011? I recently read on a site that by 2004 there were 1.5 mil complaints about the 2001 alone..

Subaru here I come.. Thanks Honda for letting me down. What changed between now and the mid 90's? Stop caring? Can't afford to make a good product? Look at your ATV lineup for example. You stopped making the sportrax lineup in 09 and I'm only hearing now rumors of a release in 2013.. Maybe you should discontinue your vehicle line and your quad line, keep making O/B engines, lawn mowers, you know.. things that the chinese can make in smaller sweatshops that you'll soon be downgrading to.

- , Saskatoon, SK - Saskatchewan, canada

Dec 042010

Civic DX OR LX

Had just had significant amount of repairs/work done to this car in the summer of 2010 to get it up to snuff and running well. Timing belt, new tires, and more. Then the transmission went up in December 2010....That's what the consensus seems to be. Had it "looked" at, but not diagnosed and in a shop. Several mechanic friends stopped by and said it was the transmission. When you start the engine it revs up. When you put the car in gear you can move it. Finally getting it towed to dealer and then Honda will decide if they will compensate partial because there seems to be a highly uncommon amount of transmission problems/failure with Honda models made from 1999-2004. We'll see....but the transmission to go out in a Honda with just over 90,000??

- , Owings Mills, MD, USA

Jun 152011

Civic EX

Too bad Honda won't help with this very expensive repair. They will lose a fan with a very loud mouth.NOBODY WITHIN A 5 HUNDRED MILE RADIUS OF ME WILL BE BUYING HONDAS.

- , Lynchburg, VA, USA

Aug 142011

Civic LX I.7L 4 cyl

- , Washington, DC, USA

Aug 262011

Civic DX

My transmission originally went out in 1996, five years after I purchased my Honda. The gas tank had been cracked, so I'm still not sure why the transmission, but I was one month away from being out of warranty so I went with what the dealership told me needed to be done.

Fast forward five years later. I'm at a gas station, getting gas. I finish, get back into the car, turn it on, put it in gear and pull out. The check engine light comes on. As I have had an issue in the past with the gas tank cap not creating an air-tight seal, I thought this was the case once again. I took it into the dealership to get it inspected as well as another issue (the door sensor broke, so the warning chime for when I would forget to remove the keys or turn the keys off was no longer chiming). They told me about the torque converter problem, gave me an estimate of $4,000, making the transmission cost even more than my car is currently worth!

I'm taking the car to my local mechanic, who has quoted me $2,500. It has yet to be fixed or inspected. After finding out that this is a known issue, an issue that Honda has known about for six years and have NEVER done anything to compensate their customers or recall the vehicle, I am beyond angry. This is uncalled for. While this was my first Honda, this was the first vehicle I personally bought. This has been only my second car since graduating from high school, 18 years ago. My first car was a previously wrecked fleet car that was a wonderful car for 8 years. The only reason I got rid of it is because the car door couldn't be locked. Well, guess what!. When Honda fixed my door sensor, they broke my freaking door lock! I can only lock it now by locking it with the key. I loved the service I previously got from Honda, but TWO transmissions and a busted door lock has pushed me over the edge. I will buy a car from Chevrolet before I buy another Honda.

- , Forney, TX, USA

Aug 252011

Civic EX 1.7L

I bought my Honda from Auburn Honda in Northern CA back in 2004 as a used car that had 61,500m on it. It lasted me a good while without any problems off the lot - I don't race my car around, I have taken it on some dirt roads and may have hit a couple pot holes. But I don't run it hard other than driving it a lot as of late. Prior to the transmission going I had just recently done all of the belts and had the head resurfaced and valves checked and replaced the head gaskets and all the others that come in the kit. The water pump and tensioner were also replaced.

Then a week before my transmission went I saw that my radiator had a crack in it and was shooting coolant through it, I shaved it and jb welded it overnight and didn't drive it for a couple days. I don't really think that had anything big to do with it but probably didn't help. But I had noticed a gradual fade in power over the course of 6 months in my car... The TCC Circuit malfunction light had been coming on and off - and after asking my friend who works for a trans shop let me know that it was probably going to go out.

Well last Thursday - it sure did go.. just quit putting out torque.. the converter went.. in El Dorado Hills.... Was sure fun getting towed home!

Luckily I have a great friend who works on a ton of Honda's who helped me out immediately - found a rebuild trans and new torque converter from Attarco in Sac! Great place to go if your in the area! $1131.00 out the door (not counting the $100core). Also bought a new radiator and hoses - new gaskets all around for thermostat housing and EGR Valve. Still have to get two gaskets for the Transmission from Honda - then putting it all back together tomorrow.

I'll keep you posted on how everything goes, the trans comes with a year / unlimited miles warranty; I'm glad someone stands by their work. Thanks for half assing this one Honda.

- , Marysville, CA, USA

Aug 142011

Civic ES 3.2L

I thought Honda made a car that if you took care of it and kept it maintained it would last a good long time. I noticed that honda had an problem with the transmissions with the 2001 models. just want help to get this fixed.

- , Angier, NC, USA