CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2001 Civic has transmission problems, transmission problems & more transmission problems. Did we mention transmission problems? And a dangerous defect with the front airbag that didn't get recalled for 10 years.

Although eventually the defective 2001 Civic airbag inflators were fixed under recalls in 2011 & 2013, that meant for 10 to 12 years airbags were activating with excessive force where metal fragments went shooting into passengers when the airbag deployed.

As for the 2001 Civic's transmission woes? Honda conducted a major transmission recall in 2004 & settled a class action lawsuit for defective transmissions in 2006. But, neither the recall or the lawsuit included the 2001 Civic.

Last thing to consider - the 2001 Civic is the most-recalled car ever, closely followed by the 2002 Civic & the 2001 Accord. The 2001 Civic is the 4th most-recalled vehicle overall, only a Ford truck & two Ford vans have more.

9.3

$2,335.00

1. replaced transmission (254 reports)
  2. rebuilt whole transmission (151 reports)
  4. get Honda to cover the cost (54 reports)
  5. buy a different car...can't afford the repair (23 reports)
  6. break down the transmission and fix (15 reports)
2001 Honda Civic transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Honda Civic:

2001 Honda Civic Owner Comments (Page 6 of 34)

Aug 142011

Civic ES 3.2L

I thought Honda made a car that if you took care of it and kept it maintained it would last a good long time. I noticed that honda had an problem with the transmissions with the 2001 models. just want help to get this fixed.

- , Angier, NC, USA

Aug 152011

Civic DX 1.7L

Of course it would fail on a remote road 45 km past the last gas station and far past cell phone coverage. I had been thinking I had been clever buying such a reliable car. I didn't know about the ticking time bomb that was disguised as an automatic transmission.

- , Victoria, BC, canada

Jan 262011

Civic LX 4 cyl

We are the owners of a 2001 Honda Civic LX and we had torque converter failure diagnosed on January 26, 2011. It took just over 7 days to have this transmission problem fixed and the car back in our possession. I have just recently filed a complaint with the State's Attorney General's office in Michigan. It was a financial hardship for us to have to replace this transmission and we were totally blind-sided by its failure. We, like so many others on this site, have taken good care of our car, with routine maintenance performed, timely oil changes and we truly believed in Honda quality. We contacted the Honda Corporation to let them know what happened and we really got little sympathy from them and no offer of any assistance financially for the repair. We now look at the Honda Corporation as extremely untrustworthy, shady and as long as they can get away with something, they will.

- , Jenison, MI, USA

Jul 112011

Civic LX 1.4L 4 cyl

I have a 01 Honda Civic LX with 85,000 miles and needs a new (rebuilt) transmission. I'm actually dropping off the vehicle today at Aamco Transmission. They quoted me $1800. I just spoke to Honda and requested Goodwill Assistance and they told me the vehicle did not fall within the parameters being 10 years old. I told them I have had 6 or 7 Toyotas in a row and this was my first and probably last Honda. I asked them to pass along my case with that comment and contact me if they want to retain my business.

- , Buffalo, NY, USA

May 202011

Civic EX

Have A 2001 honda civic, The transmission failed at about 119,000. After researching on internet, it's become obvious to me how common of a problem this is. I have bought two used accords. This is my second brand new honda vehicle. It's a shame the transmission did not go out before I bought the second one. I definatly would have shopped around at other makes seeing that honda is not standing behind their faulty transmissions. My total cost of repair is $2000.00. Shame on you Honda. If I have anything to say about this you will lose generations and generations of honda buyer's

- , Erie, PA, USA

May 242011

Civic EX 4 cyl

I have a 2001 Civic EX which has given me no trouble for all the years I have had it. The only repairs I have had to have were the timing belt replaced and the brakes which is to be expected. ALL OF A SUDDEN, in the middle of a very dangerous road during morning commute, the transmission just died. (I have brought the car, faithfully, to the dealer every 5,000 miles for service ever since I bought it new.)

I learned that since this is a model and year car which has had many transmission problems that in many cases Honda will reimburse the customer for from 50 - 75% of the cost of replacing the transmission. I talked with Honda national headquarters customer assistance for about an hour and they wouldn't budge. They wouldn't even HEAR what I was saying. I kept repeating that many customers with cars that are out of warranty had been partially reimbursed for transmission replacement on this model, but they just kept repeating, like a parrot, "sorry, the car is out of warranty." FINALLY I got a supervisor who agreed that they MIGHT consider a partial warranty IF I brought it to a Honda dealer and IF the dealer agreed that it was, in fact, the transmission. Well, that had already been established by the independent mechanic I had had the car towed to. The catch is this. The dealer quoted me such a high price for the transmission replacement, that even if they did reimburse me 50% (which they would NOT guarantee), I would still be paying the same amount as the independent mechanic.

You can't win with car companies. I have owned about 11 cars in my life, and have NEVER gotten a satisfactory, or even respectful response from any different make car companies. Anyway...that is my story.

- , Swampscott, MA, USA

May 202011

Civic 1.7L

2001 Civic... Bought from a friend for 500 dollars with a bad engine due to an overheat which i believe was caused by a faulty thermostat. I guess that would be a nother complaint for this site. Anyway. I replaced the engine and all was good. I noticed a whining sound coming from the trans when the car was cold. A few weeks later (yesterday) the trans completely failed. I haven't fixed it yet but Honda wants 2500 for a rebuilt trans, aamco wants 1700 to fix the problem and the junk yard wants 900 for a used trans. I think i am going to get a 2004 trans as they seem to be the most reliable for the 7th gen and put it in my car.

- , Columbus, OH, USA

May 092011

Civic EX

I've always felt that Hondas were reliable cars, but when my transmission suddenly failed while driving my 6 month old to daycare leaving us in harm's way...well, my view is drastically different. I contacted American Honda on two different occassions, spoke with a manager the second time in addition to the representative who answered the phone. They flat out refuse to do anything since it is no longer under warranty. I understand that they wouldn't just repair every car that had an issue, but with the transmission on the 2001 Civic being such an issue for what seems like a ton of people, you would think they would look into things further or offer at least a few bucks to help with my $3,500 repair bill! I used to say that I would only ever buy Hondas. Not anymore.

- , Owings Mills, MD, USA

Mar 072011

Civic EX 1.7L 4 cyl

Complete Transmission failure: The transmission went out quick, I noticed one day that my 2001 Honda Civic ex was starting to take a little time to catch and get in gear; I decided right then and there that I’m going to the mechanic. I went home parked the civic in the driveway; the next day I started the car and was on my way to the mechanic. I got no more than a mile and half down the rode and needed a tow truck. The mechanic advised me that the transmission at 109,000 miles is done, I will need a new one, and it will be about $3000 dollars. I couldn’t believe it, not a “HONDA”; they go at least another 100,000 to 150,000 miles without needing some type of major work… and it usual not transmission work.

This was my fourth Honda, and I was in love with these cars, Honda’s make the best and most reliable cars on the rode. But, per what I have now read on line, and from what mechanics at 4 different transmission shops have told me (I shopped around for a good deal), the Honda’s right after the year 2000 have been prone to transmission failures. I was stunned and now I’m pissed! One of the mechanics I went to laughed and said to me, “If you want me to replace the trannie no problem, you’ll be my 4th civic trannie replacement this month.” And let me tell you this, it was the beginning of the month!

I cant believe I am saying this because I used to be such an advocate for Honda vehicles and their reliability, but after this year (2011) I might sell that Honda and buy a Hyundai or even a Ford car. Again I can’t believe I am saying this, but Hyundai’s and Ford’s reviews and reliability ratings on their newer vehicles have been excellent. I guess the new Honda is now the old Hyundai or GM. I’m 35 years old, I will most likely be buying some more cars before I get too old and too gray to drive any more, but until then, you wont see me in a Honda.

Yours Truly,

Pissed off 2001 Honda Civic owner

- , Melbourne, FL, USA

Mar 282011

Civic EX 1.8L

This is my dougther´s car. We have had the vehicle for almost 4 years with dealer services, excelent care. Everything was running just fine, no major problems, just oil changes, brakes, etc. and suddenly during rush hour in one of the most heavy traffic freeways the car just stop running with my daughter driving. No previous symptoms nor minor failures, no alerts nor flashes in the dashboard. It happens to be the transmission, it blow out. Had to repair. $1500. What fiasco for a Honda with 60K of use.

- , Cedar Park, TX, USA

Feb 272011

Civic EX 1.7L

Paid $7,000+ for this car less than a year ago and now the transmission is shot. Was locking up while driving and had to shut car off and hope it would go upon restarting. Finally pulled tranny to find out the insides were shot and it needs replaced. Have not been able to locate a reasonably-priced used or rebuilt transmission to replace it. It's a shame I have a car that isn't even paid for yet and I can't drive or even get fixed. Last Honda I'll be purchasing unless they step-up to the plate to at least help get it fixed.

- , Bradenville, PA, USA

Feb 112011

Civic DX

Bought 2001 Civic because I believed Honda's were reliable. Obviously was wrong and will not be buying another Honda.

- , Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Mar 162011

Civic LX

Just bought this car in 11/2010, and after all the maintenece including brand new tires, brakes, cv boot, timing belt, struts, you name it, my tranny failed OUT OF NOWHERE!!!!!! When I bought the car, I was somewhat aware of this issue (bought the car for $4100, had 69k miles), and I thought to myself, if I do extra maintenece on the transmission, it might be OKAY. Well, here it is, same ole story as the rest of us, it just stopped one day without any warnings. ( 6 days after AAMCO did oil change..... WOW!)

Lucky, I was just on the streets, not freeway, but the amount of panic I had = priceless $$. I am not the original owner, so I don't think I can talk to honda for "goodwill". Amount of money I will be spending to fix it (quoted $1200 from non-dealer, 2yr warranty), I am still in dillemma to fix it or not, since the car has more things to fix from now on.

If there is ever a class-action suit, I AM IN!

- , Peoria, AZ, USA

May 062011

Civic LX

On May 6, 2011, my car began to have a hard time shifting into 3rd gear. ( have an automatic so this was very unusual. ( Three weeks ago Crown Honda dealership had replaced my timing belt as a required maintenance along with replacing other belts, camshaft seals, crankshaft seal 4 tires, water pump and a oil change and filter. This cost me $1300.00) Now, my car makes a racing noise each time I take off from a red light. Finally after this happening about three red lights the car races again but hardly moves. I hardly made it off the road because I was in heavy traffic. Called a tow and had it towed to crown Honda dealership. They said in all probability it is the transmission but will work on it tomorrow (a Saturday). Called and I got the run a round but they told me the same thing that it probably is the transmission and could cost anywhere from $3000. to $5000. Told them not to take it apart and had it towed to another place to have it fixed. The new service station said that it would cost around 2600. because the transmission was burned out and the torque converter also has to be replaced. It is now being fixed as we speak. DID THIS HAPPEN BECAUSE THE HONDA SERVICE TOOK APART MY CAR TO REPLACE THE TIMING BELT 3 WEEKS AGO....OR.... IS THIS A SAFETY ISSUE AS I AM HEARING WITH THE 2001 HONDA CIVIC AND WHAT CAN I DO TO BE COMPENSATED????? Should I get a new car or keep it. Everyone told me that Honda will last to at least 200,000 miles easily, but look what happened!!

- , St. Petersburg, FL, USA

May 022011

Civic EX 1.7L

HELLO FELLOW JUNK OWNERS.....WARNING......2001 CIVIC EX AUTO TRANSMISSION IS JUNK....I REPLACED MY HONDA AUTO TRANSMISSION THAT FAILED APPROX 70,000 MILES WITH A USED 2001 CIVIC EX TRANSMISSION FROM A 3,000 MILE TOTALED CAR THAT WAS TOTALED DUE TO HAIL DAMAGE ...130,000 MILES ON CAR NOW AND TRANSMISSION FAILURE AT 60,000 MILES-APPROX SAME MILEAGE AS FIRST TRANSMISSION FAILURE--- IN CASE THE IDEA THAT IT COULD BE THAT THIS SECOND FAILURE AT 130,000 MILES WAS DEFINITELY NOT DUE TO THIS BEING A USED TRANSMISSION BEING THE ONLY DAMAGE TO DONOR CAR WAS FROM HAIL .... I SPENT $1400 USED TRANNY AS I FIGURED THE FIRST FAILURE WAS JUST BAD LUCK AND THAT I AM A MECHANIC AND HAD NEVER HEARD OF THIS PROBLEM TIL THE SECOND FAILURE..

.3 HONDA DEALERS SERVICE DEPTS I CALLED SAY THEY HAVE NEVER HEARD OF THIS PROBLEM....BS...I WILL NEVER EVER BUY ANOTHER HONDA AND WILL TELL EVERY HUMAN I COME IN CONTACT WITH THAT THEY DO NOT STAND BEHIND THEIR PRODUCTS WHEN THEY KNOW THERE IS A PROBLEM !!!!!!!!...

I'M GOING TO COMPLETELY DISMANTLE AND SEE IF I CAN FIND CAUSE OF FAILURE WITH MY BUDDY WHO IS TOP NOTCH TRANSMISSION SPECIALIST AND I MAY REPORT BACK AFTER I FIND OUT....ALSO THIS CAR WAS ONLY DRIVEN BY MY WIFE WHO DRIVES IT VERY GENTLY AND OVER 60% OF THE MILEAGE WAS HIGHWAY ONLY TRIPS

- , Lucasville, OH, USA

Apr 012011

Civic LX V4

I bought this car 5 year old with 80,000 miles on it. A month ago the transmission began to slip...with only 134,000 miles on it!! I brought it to my local mechanic shop and they said it had failed. They had the transmission re-built; total cost $3000. I did some research when it was in being repaired and found out this is a BIG problem for this year model/make. Lost my faith in Honda.

- , Calabasas, CA, USA

Apr 212011

Civic

It seems unusual for a 2001 Honda Civic with 72k miles to have significant transmission issues as to need a total replacement. The car only averaged 600 miles a month. After researching the internet, it appears that there have been a significant number of complaints from other owners of 2001 Honda Civic owners regarding their transmissions. Two class action suits against Honda resulted in recalls and replacements of several Honda models surrounding the year 2001. I feel since there have been a significant number of complaints regarding the "same" transmission issue, Honda should uphold their integrity and replace and/or correct the 2001 Civic transmission issues at their cost, especially on vehicles with less than 100k miles.

- , Pittsburg, CA, USA

Feb 142011

Civic

Being out of work for a while, I have decided to pursue a new career - transmission shop owner/rebuilder - specializing in 2001 Honda civics. There certainly is plenty of business out there and I won't have to wait for rebate money from Honda, cause there ain't none!!! Since this model in 9 to 10 years old, they all will begin to fail soon, regardless of the mileage.There must be thousands of unlucky owners out there deciding to junk or rebuild or unload their "pride and joy". Look, I know it's just a machine and machines break. But if so many of us have the same thing happening to our rides at about the same age/mileage, it's a pretty good time for a recall. Is there a pile of new Defective transmissions in some huge parts warehouse just waiting to get shipped. Well, I sure don't want one - it's like fixing a window with a piece of cracked glass!! A sucker punch always hurts more. Shame on the Mighty Honda Motor Co. for making this crap and not standing behind it when if falls.

- , Durham, NC, USA

Apr 012011

Civic LX 1.7L

I bought this car one year old with 12,000 miles on it. A month ago the transmission began to slip...with only 59,000 miles on it!! I brought it to my local shop and they said it had failed. They had the transmission re-built; total cost $2760. I did some research when it was in being repaired and found out this is a HUGE problem for this year model/make. I did call Honda customer service, and they recorded the complaint, but that is all they will do. They said if I had taken it to a Honda dealership to have the problem looked at, they may have offered some financial help if I had it repaired there. I'm sure any money they would have given me would have been offset by their jacked up service rates. No more Hondas, period.

- , Jordan, MN, USA

Apr 032011

Civic LX

My in-laws originally bought this car in 2001 brand new. Since the name Honda means reliability, they did not think anything of it when they passed it on to my daughter when she started driving. At the time, it only had 40,000 miles on it. She began driving it around November of 2010. Well, last night, she went to a friend's house and was backing out from her friend's driveway when the check engine light came on. She could not shift gears at all! She was stuck in the middle of the street. Some guys came to help her push the car out to the side. Then she called us frantic. Of course, what can we do? My husband went to check it out himself. Sure enough, it was a transmission failure! He could not shift to reverse nor drive. The AAA guy said "it's your tranny." We had to have it towed back to our house since my repair shop is closed till Monday.

I have to call AAA again to have it towed again. What a headache and it's only the beginning. I'm not sure if it's worth fixing since I've been reading about other complaints.

How can tranny be bad when it's only got 40K on it? I have seriously lost any confidence I had about driving Honda.

- , Cerritos, CA, USA