CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2001 Civic has transmission problems, transmission problems & more transmission problems. Did we mention transmission problems? And a dangerous defect with the front airbag that didn't get recalled for 10 years.

Although eventually the defective 2001 Civic airbag inflators were fixed under recalls in 2011 & 2013, that meant for 10 to 12 years airbags were activating with excessive force where metal fragments went shooting into passengers when the airbag deployed.

As for the 2001 Civic's transmission woes? Honda conducted a major transmission recall in 2004 & settled a class action lawsuit for defective transmissions in 2006. But, neither the recall or the lawsuit included the 2001 Civic.

Last thing to consider - the 2001 Civic is the most-recalled car ever, closely followed by the 2002 Civic & the 2001 Accord. The 2001 Civic is the 4th most-recalled vehicle overall, only a Ford truck & two Ford vans have more.

9.3

$2,335.00

1. replaced transmission (254 reports)
  2. rebuilt whole transmission (151 reports)
  4. get Honda to cover the cost (54 reports)
  5. buy a different car...can't afford the repair (23 reports)
  6. break down the transmission and fix (15 reports)
2001 Honda Civic transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Honda Civic:

2001 Honda Civic Owner Comments (Page 7 of 34)

Apr 042011

Civic 1.7L

Bought this honda with 77 k on it.After a few weeks it seemed to rev more than go but never completely until last night.sort of sudden, you would give it gas and nothing no 1,2,3,rev nothing. just had it towed to tranny repair shop.hoping to be able to put in a different year tranny into it ,hope that helps, other than that, like the car.

- , enosburg falls, VT, USA

Apr 012011

Civic LX

I bought my 2001 Honda Civic used in 2004. Like most I thought Honda was supposed to be a reliable car make, oh how I was wrong! If you can think of the issue, my car has had it. Just recently, my 2001 Honda Civic died in the middle of a busy road, sadly after I had just picked it up from my local auto repair shop for some timing belt and tensioner repairs. I had been experiencing for the last 8 MONTHS...what I thought might have been my transmission failing. I was told repeatedly; by multiple auto shops that this was not the issue with my car. You can imagine how beyond upset I was (thinking my car was all fixed and having it completely die after leaving the car repair. My local shop is a really reputable shop and they have definitely gone above and beyond with the repairs and time they have taken on my car (They were equally as upset when I phoned to say my car was dead in the middle of a street). A service rep and tech drove out to my car looked at it, after pushing it to the side of the road, and told me to their surprise my transmission was dead! Also, they told me that a few years ago, Honda mailed out a recall notice to all ORIGINAL OWNERS, regarding transmission failure and that included in the recall, Honda was giving the transmission ONLY an extended 8 year or 105, 000 mile warranty. Well I’m obviously not the original owner and my car is well over the 8 year and 105, 000 mile mark. What do I do? I’ve already put about $6,000 into my car’s repairs in the last 8 months…I can’t afford major repairs anymore!

- , Orangevale, CA, USA

Mar 202011

Civic LX 1.7L

Yesterday, my wife was driving my parents to a doctor's appointment and our 2001 Honda Civic transmission failed. We had it towed to our local mechanic. I am still waiting for a quote. I phoned American Honda and spoke to a very nice person about my situation. I explained about the amount of complaints that I have seen for this Civic model year and she said there was nothing she could do. I asked her if I should bring it to a Honda Dealership and she thought the only way I would get any type of discount at a Dealership is if I have been taking my car there for the life of the vehicle.

I bought the car used and was very happy, up until this point. Based on all the 2001 Honda owners feedback from this website and other sites, it looks like Honda has a significant quality issue that they are not willing to back/support. This is my first Honda and it will be my last based on this experience.

Update from May 18, 2011: I had the transmission fixed/ebuilt

- , Pacifica, CA, USA

Mar 222011

Civic LX 1.7L V4

20 year old college student here who purchased this car a year and a half ago for school. When I purchased it i thought it was a good deal and always felt Honda was reliable after my other siblings had Hondas as well. Turns out that same day i bought my car I researched what problems I can come to expect in the future should something go wrong, and boy what do I see mostly, Tranny problems. I told myself oh no maybe I should get my money back, as my parents soon told me to assure me theres thousands of cars and im sure not all of them can go wrong. I said they were right, it may not happen to me. Boy was i stupid wrong. The morning it happened on my way to school I already frieken knew. This problem was always in the back of my mind and it finally happened. Its like waiting for my death. Cost $1800 to rebuild the whole tranny. I sure hope this does not happen to many other people who have this car, and am certainly going to look at Toyota, nissan, for future purchases.

- , Os Angeles, CA, USA

Feb 112011

Civic LX

Bought this car from a dealership for our son in summer of 2009. From the start they car was in service shop more then my son drove it in the first month. We thought it was the transmission slipping we where told it wasn't. Eighteen months later the car just stopped in the middle of a busy road. Had it towed we were told it was the transmission. Called the dealer they told us they would replace the transmission with used transmission for their cost $1429.00. Called Honda they did not want ot hear it about it.

Very frustrating our son is off to college in the fall bought Honda cause its supposed to be very reliable thats a joke. M sister in law owns a 2002 Honda Odyssey and the same thing happened to her van last year under 80 thousand miles, she did enough bitching Honda paid for most she was only out $500.00. We chose to go with a $1800.00 they rebuild the transmission and gave us two years warranty on parts and labor. Are we happy not very. Honda stinks.

- , Pittsford, NY, USA

Mar 092011

Civic 1.7L 4 cyl

Dealership is talking with Honda on covering some of the cost as this is a known issue for the 2001 Honda's. My teenage daughter was lucky to make it to the dealership before the car died! A few weeks ago the car wouldn't turn off even with the key removed and now this. We just spent over 400 on bushings and also had the transmission drain and refill and cleaned magnet back in October.

- , Auburn, NH, USA

Mar 042011

Civic LX 1.7L

Same car.............same story as the rest. Transmission completely failed about 20 miles from home. Had it towed to my driveway. I'm not sure whether it is worth fixing. Outside of the tranny issue, the car ran well. Time for a Toyota.

- , Broad Brook, CT, USA

Feb 242011

Civic

JI have had my civic since it was brand new a few weeks ago the transmission died while heading to work. I have never had any other problems with this car just typical brakes etc. i thought having the tranny go at 115k was normal figured i got my moneys worth out of this car until i read this,The car is in tip top shape thats why i got it fixed for 1850.00 on long island. After reading all these complaints now i feel i got jipped by Honda and the transmission should have went alot longer.

- , Seaford, NY, USA

Mar 012011

Civic LX 1.7L

Was driving home when transmission started slipping.There were no warning signs.Called my friend who re-builds transmissions.He said there were lots of problems with Honda transmissions.He said the problem is that the filter was probably clogged,he said the trans.filter was internal and couldn't be cleaned unless the trans.was taken apart.He said to do all that work I might as well re-build it because of the mileage154,000.I thought I was good to go to 250,000miles but was wrong.I now have doubts about Honda and will look to another manufacturer in the future.Also I will stop promoting the Honda name.By the way I had it re-paired for $2000,complete re-build.

- , Columbia, MD, USA

Apr 012010

Civic

I thought Honda is the best. I have Honda cars and this one is definitely annoying as it burned out on me after 90K miles, where you would think it should be good after a good maintenance. I have tried discussing this with American Honda and they did not acknowledge, as I have fixed it at a local shop.

Dealership charges twice as much, so there was no reason for me to pick dealership.

This is quite annoying especially when you know that this is a prevalent issue in all 2001 Honda civic cars.

- , Sugarland, TX, USA

Nov 112010

Civic LX

I hate the dealership so much. The charged way too much for this problem. They didn't even offer any discounts or anything.

- , Hoffman Estates, IL, USA

Feb 272011

Civic LX 1.8L

I have a Honda Civic 2001 LX and all of a sudden ran in to a transmission problem. The car didn't move from a stop light. After pushing the accelerator heavily it moved slowly and I could manage to pull it over to a parking lot. Bottom line th transmission sucks. When I saw this website, I sensed that Honda 2001 civic has the maximum transmission problems. I was given a quote of $4,200 by a Honda dealer. HONDA should replace these without any expense to clients.

- , Westborough, MA, USA

Feb 202011

Civic EX

First tranny failure at 95,000 miles, $2,700 to fix. Second tranny failure at 136,000 miles, still in shop.

Shop called and said that Honda had a service bulletin out that said the transmission had to also be reprogrammed because with existing programming, over time the second drum would get chewed up, which is exactly what has happened both times.

Hoping this is a permanent fix, but I'm sure not to big on Honda as a manufacturer at the moment.

- , South Portland, ME, USA

Dec 312010

Civic LX 1.7L

Bought the car for my college going daughter, maintained the car very well and after putting in about 15K miles, the transmission started to act up and finally gave up completely. Towed the car to a local transmission shop and had to rebuilt the transmission -- the bearings were worn out, converter had to be replaced. The transmission shop guy told me this is a common problem with all the 2001 model Honda cars - Civic, Accord & Odyssey. He showed me a list of repaired Honda's, irrespective of the year & model, I could only see 2001 models. As per the shop, this is a design problem with the Honda transmissions because the transmissions lack the pan and hence no filters to keep out metal slurry, which in turn wears out the transmission sooner.

I am never ever buying a new or old Honda cars --- make sure my kids won't buy it either. Now there are lot more reliable brands available, like Ford, Hyundai, Nissan, to choose from.

- , San Jose, CA, USA

Jan 152011

Civic EX

Same story, going down the road and the car stopped all of a sudden ... almost got into an accident - can't believe that HONDA didn't recall for transmission failure ! so disappointed! I've just spent 700 bucks fixing t-belt and front brake pads - and now this happens - I would never purchase Honda cars!

- , Johnson City, TN, USA

Feb 162011

Civic EX 1.7L

Our '97 Civic has 170,000 miles on it and it still runs like new. With the tranny going out at 85,000 we're very disappointed with this '01 Civic. Honda should stand behind their products especially when they know there is a problem. We wont waste money on another Honda, lesson learned!

- , Blue Springs, MO, USA

Feb 082011

Civic LX

This is another complaint about the 2001 Honda Civic (automatic). I bought this car brand new off the lot under the impression that Honda is the car to get for quality and longevity. In fact i remember the salesman saying that. Today i was driving down the road and and got to a stop light. When the light turned green i hit the gas but the car didn't move, the engine would rev up with the pressing of the gas pedal but the car was motionless. I knew it had to be the transmission. But i only have 89,000 miles on this vehicle, isn't it way to premature for a transmission failure? Well, I had to push it off the road and called Triple AAA. They towed it to a local repair shop. They hooked it up to the computer and found no error codes. They end up telling me the tranny is done..and start quoting all these prices for used, rebuilt, or new transmission installation. i couldn't believe it! only 79000 ml. and the transmission burns out. I had the car towed to my house so i can research prices. On the internet i stumbled on pages about Honda having MAJOR problems with the transmissions on the 2001 Civic. There were pages of entries of unhappy people all with the same story of their tranny failing on them with low milage. This is unbelievable, apparently Honda hasn't issued a recall and refuses to admit a problem. There was no warning light so i didn't no anything was wrong. I have always took care of this car and took it in for regular maintenance service. the majority of Honda owners with transmission problems are saying the torque converter is failing and essentially burning up the transmission fluid, rendering the entire transmission useless. Honda must stand behind their products better than this.

- , Buena Park, CA, USA

Feb 052011

Civic

I cannot believe how prone 2001s are to transmission failures. I haven't fixed it yet as this has happened over the weekend and no one is open. Thanks for leaving me stranded Honda

- , Monterey Park, CA, USA

Feb 082011

Civic EX

ADD ME TO THE LIST! Just bought the car 9 months ago and had it checked out by a mechanic..... It was fine..... fast forward 9 months,,,,,, tranny out!!!!!! Really upset. College student with 1000 to my name and no way to get to work or school. i thought honda was the way to go....WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now off to the car dealership (not Honda) to try and get a clunker!

- , Ogden, UT, USA

Dec 032010

Civic EX 1.7L

I HAVE OWNED MORE THAN 10 DIFFERENT HONDA MODELS, IE... ACCORD'S/CIVIC'S/CIVIC SI/ODYSSEY. I HAVE HAD SOME VERY BAD EXPERIENCES WITH THIS POS 2001 CIVIC EX(TRANSMISSION FAILURE), I ALSO HAD A STRUT ISSUE WITH A 2007 CIVIC SI SEDAN, AND WITH MY 2006 ODYSSEY VSA/FRONT BRAKES. I AM AMERICAN AND I LOVE AMERICA, BUT HONDA IS NOT WHAT IT USE TO BE/BUILT. I THINK I WILL STAY AWAY FROM THEM A LITTLE WHILE(EVEN THOUGH I LOVE THEM), AND KEEP MY EYE ON HYUNDAI.

- , Birmingham, AL, USA