CarComplaints.com Notes: Yes, the Honda Civic receives a lot of complaints because so many were sold. And sure, car parts only last so long and things eventually break. But it's never good to see this many transmission complaints, especially when the average mileage at failure is just north of 100,000 miles.

Especially when you consider that it's predecessor also has a nasty history with transmission complaints.

6.5

$2,200.00

1. repaint car (7 reports)
2002 Honda Civic body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Honda Civic:

2002 Honda Civic Owner Comments

Sep 222016

Civic LX V4

Paint just started peeling. No specific reason or cause.

- , Manhattan Beach, USA

Jan 012014

Civic EX 1.7L

click to see larger images

paint/clear coat bubbling, peeling off paint/clear coat bubbling, peeling off

Clear coat problem on roof of the car as well as peeling laminate from the hood.

- , Simpsonville, SC, USA

Jun 032013

Civic EX 1.7L 4 cyl

The paint is fading and peeling very badly on my 2002 Honda Civic...almost to the point where the truck, roof, and other areas of my red vehicle are almost white!!! I know the car is old but I have a silver 2003 Lincoln Navigator with double the miles on it and no paint issues whatsoever. From all the information available on the Internet, there is a known issue with inferior quality paint jobs that Honda refuses to correct. I have washed and waxed the vehicle regularly and do not understand why the paint would fade and peel like it has. To top it off, the vehicle was kept in an inside storage facility for three years while I was stationed in Japan. I really feel that Honda needs to stand by its products and restore the quality that their name was built upon.

- , Montgomery, AL, USA

Jun 012015

Civic DX 1.6L

click to see larger images

paint/clear coat bubbling, peeling off paint/clear coat bubbling, peeling off paint/clear coat bubbling, peeling off

i have seen many older honda vehicles that have that green paint on, and they all look terrible. There must be issues with it.

- , St. Benedict, PA, USA

Apr 012013

Civic SI

My 2002 Civic Si has had paint chipping and peeling off the driver's side for quite a while, and now the passenger side is starting to do the same thing. It is just under the window, and the rubber coating on the window edge is peeling as well. There didn't seem to be anything in particular causing the issue...it just started to chip off and now it is peeling away.

- , Holland, MI, USA

May 032012

Civic LX 1.7L

Car paint is totally damaged. A friend told me there was a recall for her Honda Accord, not same year, and Honda will cover the cost. My car has same issues and I do not understand why this is not covered.

I was told it was sun, years old, etc etc, I do not believe it. I have other cars and they have no problem.

- , Plantation, FL, USA

Jun 012013

Civic DX V4

I have a 2002 Honda Civic DX -- I purchased a Honda Civic because of its reputation of being a reliable vehicle. Reliable, yes. Unbearable to look at? everything still runs great, but it looks like crap. The clear coat is peeling everywhere, to the point where it's embarrassing to tell people it's my car. After researching this issue and finding out its a common issue with honda's I am thinking twice about getting another one.

- , Stockton, CA, USA

Apr 112011

Civic EX 1.7L

The protective coating I was sold by the Honda dealership when I purchased the car (leased, then purchased) is peeling off on the driver's side, behind the back seat passenger door. There was no ding, crash, or any damage, it simply started peeling off.

- , San Diego, CA, USA

Jun 012005

Civic EX

I have a 2002 Honda Civic EX -- everything still runs great, but it looks like crap. The clear coat is peeling everywhere, to the point where it's embarrassing to tell people it's my car. I'm fed up with it.

- , Joplin, MO, USA

Nov 302011

Civic LX V4

I have had the Honda since 02. Car runs great never have had any serious issues even after driving it from California to new york and back. The only issue is the paint job. Now i have started considering purchasing a new car and after researching this issue and finding out its a common issue with honda's I am thinking twice about getting another one.

- , Westminster, CA, USA

May 012012

Civic LX

Disappointed is a subtle way to describe how I feel about the clear coat issue. I purchased a Honda Civic because of its reputation of being a reliable vehicle. Reliable, yes. Unbearable to look at? YES. The clear coat began "oxidizing" sometime last spring and has been spreading like a disfiguring VD since. After 5 years of making monthly payments, I am now the proud owner of a car that looks like it's molting. Bravo, Honda. BRAVO.

- , San Diego, CA, USA

Oct 012011

Civic EX V6

The clear coat on 2002 Honda Civic EX is defective. It has been bubbling and peeling off, gradually expanding over the top off the car over time. The factory coat product seems defective, of questionable quality to withstand normal range of exposure to environment, with normal wash/waxing. The service advisor at the local dealer seemed to ignore the problem, did not search in the Honda system, just saying he did not know what the problem was. He did not seem to care.

- , Corpus Christi, TX, USA