Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Yes, the Honda Civic receives a lot of complaints because so many were sold. And sure, car parts only last so long and things eventually break. But it's never good to see this many transmission complaints, especially when the average mileage at failure is just north of 100,000 miles.

Especially when you consider that it's predecessor also has a nasty history with transmission complaints.

2002 Honda Civic drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Honda Civic:

2002 Honda Civic Owner Comments (Page 3 of 3)

Aug 012011

Civic 4-cyl

Shortly after purchasing, vehicle starting accelerating and driving sluggish. Vehicle A/T fluids serviced before recommended and still having poor acceleration/shifting, whining/ticking noise from A/T. replaced parts as indicated by mil codes just to have same codes appear after repairs. Finally researched problems and mil codes on the internet to find that 2002 Civics are notorious for throwing A/T codes and shifting problems. This vehicle is being driven by my teenage daughter and was purchased because it was supposed to be a safe, reliable vehicle. I have no choice but to let my daughter drive this car until we can fix the problem, and pray it does not leave her stranded in the middle of a busy highway without warning! I spent thousands of dollars purchasing this vehicle used, and it will now take a few thousand more (that I don't have!) to replace the automatic transmission. Honda motor Corp. Is aware of the transmission problems with this gen. Civic and won't recall, what a sin! shame on Honda! they just lost a loyal customer of 30 years and I will be sure to spread the word to family and friends on how dangerous this problem is, not to mention how costly.

- Cumming, GA, USA

Dec 272011

The contact owns a 2002 Honda Civic. The contact was driving approximately 30 mph when the transmission began to slip gears unintendedly with hesitation. In addition, the engine exhibited an abnormal increase in rpms to 5,000. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic who advised the contact that the torque converter was completely damaged. The contact planned to take the vehicle to an auto center who specializes in transmissions. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 109,000.

- Grand Prairie, TX, USA

Apr 012009

The contact owns a 2002 Honda Civic. The contact stated that when driving at any speed, the transmission would disengage without warning. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure but did not offer any assistance. The vehicle was taken to a private mechanic who informed the contact that the vehicle was exhibiting no pressure to the transmission and advised him to replace the transmission. The current mileage was 171,113 and the failure mileage was 130,000.

- Pearland, TX, USA

Oct 212011

The contact owns a 2002 Honda Civic. The contact stated that while in idle mode, she would hear a loud noise. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer and they informed her that the intake shaft bearing failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was approximately 103,000. The VIN was unavailable. Updated 12/20/11

- Los Angelos, CA, USA

Jan 162008

Automatic transmission started slipping between 2 & 3 gear you have to lift off of the throttle to lower the RPM's so the trans will shift into 3rd gear, all the other shift points are fine. I believe there is a defect in this transmission are many complaints on online forum's about these transmissions. 2001 to 2005 Civic's.

- Tampa, FL, USA

May 032011

The contact owns a 2002 Honda Civic LX. The contact stated that when starting the ignition, he was unable to fully maneuver the gears into any selected gear. In addition, the key would sometimes become stuck in the ignition. The vehicle was not inspected by a dealer nor repaired. The manufacturer was contacted and they advised that there were no recalls on the vehicle. The failure mileage was approximately 88,500.

- Berkley, MA, USA

Dec 082010

My Honda 2002 Civic transmission died at 98,000 no warning stopped on a busy street almost got killed called police to help.

- Lake Zurich, IL, USA

Sep 182010

The engine in my 2002 Honda Civic le stopped running... there was heavy traffic and this was definitely dangerous. The cause was transmission failure.... the car was towed to the local dealership and the price to retrieve it was over $5,900. The mileage was 100,505... too soon for this kind of problem and absurdly expensive. It is my only car, and I felt captive, for sure. Not a good report for Honda of America.

- Ventura, CA, USA

Aug 192010

I had my 2002 Honda Civic LX serviced within the last month. Oil changed, fluids checked. A few weeks later, the engine light went on and the drive button began blinking all in one day. After taking it back into the shop, I discovered that the transmission was going out. My vehicle only has 95,000 miles on it. So much for Honda "lasting forever"! I am still trying to figure out what to do with my car since I cannot afford to have a new or rebuilt transmission put in. I drive about 20-30 miles each day to work and I am afraid that the transmission is going to go out while I am on the highway or interstate. I wish that I would have found this website before I purchased my car 3 years ago because I never would have even considered buying it. Honda needs to recall the transmissions in the early 2000 Honda. Fix our problems!

- Mission, KS, USA

Jul 022010

My daughter bought this car a 2002 Honda Civic in Nov of 2009, this July while driving from North Carolina to Ohio the car just stopped going, the engine was running ok but the transmission wouldn't go. She was on a busy highway when this happened, she was lucky to get the car to coastr over to the side. I was reading on the internet where this is a common but the NHTSA has not recommended a recall cause of a safety factor. I think when there is any chance or an accident happening that should be cause enough for alarm.

- West Salem, OH, USA

Jul 282009

I have a 2002 Honda Civic. Upon driving in my neighborhood, I noticed that in the middle of driving, my car wouldn't accelerate anymore. Not a aware of how severe it really was, I kept going as it did accelerate a little and then I pulled over to the side road and thankfully I did, as my car wouldn't move and I was stuck with my two year son for an hour waiting for a tow truck. I went to courtesy Honda and they said I needed a new transmission. To my surprise with my car having only 150,000 miles on di I need a new transmission. If Honda knows about this, they should recall the transmission from 1999 to 2004. This is a safety issue and it should be addressed!

- Deltona, FL, USA

Apr 012006

Our Honda Civic 2002 also is having the same problem as described by others, in that the SRS light is on and for seemingly no reason (according to the mechanic). The mechanic reset the light, but it came back on within 2 weeks. I wouldn't care if there truly isn't anything wrong, like the mechanic states, however, in order for the car to pass state inspection, it can not be on. Thus, it will be costly for me to take it to the local Honda dealer which already has charged an arm and a leg for a transmission that had to be replaced after only having the car for less than 4 years. I was the one that pushed my husband buy a Honda for the reliability factor, but between the transmission and now the SRS issue that needs to be resolved, it's looking like my husbands 2000 Jeep Cherokee is fairing better in repairs than my Honda?? sad!!!!! very sad!!!

- Toms River, NJ, USA

Oct 182008

I started to feel the transmission slipping little by little and it just got worst from there to the point that the transmission just gave way. It just revs and does not shift into gears it will be more or less than about $1,500 to 2,000 to fix the problem. Wish they could had made a recall about this on my 2002 Honda Civic ex.

- Winter Park, FL, USA

Jun 132008

Car was driving fine, then started shifting hard from 2nd to 3rd. Lost all power and would not shift into any gear. Check engine light came on code P0730 "incorrect gear ratio" called Honda repairs will cost $1,700. I searched the net and found that this problem is very common with Civics 01-03. I feel Honda should goodwill atleast the tranny.....

- Miami, FL, USA

Aug 292006

Civic 4-cyl

(1) crunching sound with any bumps in the road (2) the damage to right front tire, the cv boot & shaft, was due to defective strut coming loose. (3) all parts were replaced under warranty that was within the 1st year of ownership, with 3,000 miles on the car. This again happened again in 2006 on the left side, with 25,000 miles on the car, this time they said it had a defective cv joint shaft & boot was twisting with left side shock being defective & damaged also. Honda dealer paid for all but $300 to replace & repair all that they found. This 2002 Honda Civic LX still has a crunching sound in the front end with bumps & turns after repair 6 weeks ago.

- Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Jul 302002

Air bag light appears on the dashboard panel. Also, the passenger's side seat had broken while traveling on the highway. Dealership is aware of the problem. The consumer states that the passenger side seat slips, the seat belt on the drivers side will not retract and when its not in use it catches in the door, the speed controls main switch lamp had gone out.

- Springfield, OH, USA