Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Yes, the Honda Civic receives a lot of complaints because so many were sold. And sure, car parts only last so long and things eventually break. But it's never good to see this many transmission complaints, especially when the average mileage at failure is just north of 100,000 miles.

Especially when you consider that it's predecessor also has a nasty history with transmission complaints.

1. adjust or replace the position throttle sensor (1 reports)
2002 Honda Civic engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Honda Civic:

2002 Honda Civic Owner Comments

Nov 252007

Civic LX 3.2L

I own a 2002 Honda Civic LX. Many complaints here, mention the same year car. Last November, my car's "yellow light" (looks like a gas tank) came on, and at the exact same time my car would not shift into second gear. My car manual says this light could mean a loose gas cap. For a while, it actually helped when I tightened the cap; the light would go off. If not, in order to get my car into second gear, I had to push down on the accelerator to kick it up the next gear--my car is manual transmission. Auto Zone and my own garage said the "light" error meant I needed to have my Throttle Position Sensor adjusted. This adjustment cured the problem and lasted from November to this April. Now my garage is telling me I need to replace this Sensor. It will cost me about $250. I actually haven't had it done yet, because they need to order the part. Anyone else having this problem?

- , Endicott, NY, USA