CarComplaints.com Notes: Yes, the Honda Civic receives a lot of complaints because so many were sold. And sure, car parts only last so long and things eventually break. But it's never good to see this many transmission complaints, especially when the average mileage at failure is just north of 100,000 miles.

Especially when you consider that it's predecessor also has a nasty history with transmission complaints.

2002 Honda Civic seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Honda Civic:

2002 Honda Civic Owner Comments (Page 1 of 7)

Jan 012016

Defective car.

- Saint Louis, MO, USA

Dec 032012

Civic

The contact owned a 2002 Honda Civic. While driving various speeds, the contact was involved in a head-on collision with another vehicle. The air bags deployed. As a result of the air bag deployment, the contact sustained injuries to the knee and foot that required medical attention. The contact also suffered breathing issues due to the air bag deployment. A police report was filed. The vehicle was towed and later deemed destroyed. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 210,000.

- Deep River, CT, USA

Aug 012016

Civic

SRS light came on. Have had drivers side air bag replaced. SRS light came on when car is started.

- Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Feb 202015

Civic

"takata recall" - I have gone to two different Honda dealerships to have my airbages replace and both deals have informed me that the parts are not available. I have taken my Civic to ourisman's Honda of laurel on 10/18/14 and 10/27/14. I continued to call and take my car to be service at that location about four months before taking my car to pohanka Honda captiol heights. My first inquire about the airbags was on 2/20/15. They also stated that they did not have the parts. It's bee over year and no one has replace the airbags or contacted me to bring my call in. I call pohanka Honda today (8/16/16 @ 6:35) and was informed that there is not a recall on the airbage for my VIN. However, the paperwork dated 2/20/16 indicates that airbage replacement was not completed. I do not understand why its been over an year and no one has contacted me to replace my airbags.

- Washington, DC, USA

Jul 132016

Civic

Had an accident on the way to work. Hit a car straight on in the back. I was in motion. My front end was totally smashed in. I would like to know why the passenger side airbag deployed and no one was in that seat and my driver's side airbag did not deploy at all. I am now suffering substantial pain and bruises across my chest, right breast and across my entire lower abdomen. Yes, the outcome could have been worse or even fatal, but I'm blessed to have walked away from this. I love my Honda and been a Honda owner since about 2003. I would like to purchase another Honda but I have my doubts now. If this should happen again can I trust that the next car will do the job that it was meant to do as far as the air bag is concerned I have taken my car twice to have it serviced for the takata recalls. I also will add that I get my service done on a regular basis with an actual Honda dealer even though my care is a 2002. Check the records if I am not mistaken, the recalls were for defected inflation, not because it wouldn't deploy at all. My question is why did my airbag not do the job that it was supposed to do?

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Jul 152016

Civic

The contact owns a 2002 Honda Civic. The contact stated that the SRS (supplemental restraint system) warning light was illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where NHTSA campaign numbers: 15V320000 (air bags) and 15V370000 (air bags) were performed however, the air bag warning light remained illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 124,800.

- Eastlake, OH, USA

Sep 012014

Civic

Takata recall. The contact owns a 2002 Honda Civic. The contact received a manufacturer recall notification for the driver and passenger side takata air bags. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the recall remedies were declined due to the vehicle originally being purchased in Canada. The contact mentioned that the vehicle was legally imported and manufactured in the United States. The manufacturer was notified of the issue. The NHTSA campaign number was not provided. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Altamonte Springs, FL, USA

Jun 162015

Civic

Takata recall SRS light is didn't go off. I tried reset my SRS light, but cameback SRS light is on. I doubt my air bag is takata also and it's not working right.

- Glendale, CA, USA

Apr 042016

Civic

The contact owns a 2002 Honda Civic. The vehicle was repaired according to NHTSA campaign number: 14V351000 (air bags); however, the air bag warning light was illuminated. The air bag warning light was not illuminated prior to the recall repair. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer where it was confirmed that the SRS light failed; however, the vehicle did not receive an official diagnosis. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 200,000.

- Fairfax, VA, USA

Apr 072016

Civic

Honda has no record of my car for the takata airbag recall. It is a Civic si, 2002. The car was discontinued in 2005. I need to know if my car is in the recall. I am getting no notices and no help from Honda.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Jan 082016

Civic

The contact owns a 2002 Honda Civic. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the SRS warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the air bag was replaced, however the failure continued. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 131,000.

- Elkhart, IN, USA

Apr 182011

Civic

Takata recall. The contact owns a 2002 Honda Civic. The contact stated that the dealer sold the vehicle with the SRS warning light illuminated, which remained illuminated for an extended period of time. The dealer was notified of the failure and they replaced the driver side seat belt latch, but the failure recurred with the SRS warning light illuminating again after the repair. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the wiring harness needed to be replaced. The contact was also waiting for an extended period of time to receive the recall repairs that were not completed before the vehicle was owned. The contact was informed of NHTSA campaign numbers: 15V370000 (air bags), 15V320000 (air bags), and 12V136000 (exterior lighting). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 117,306. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Fort Collins, CO, USA

Oct 222015

Civic

4 cars were dead stopped on the hwy 50. My husband's Honda Civic was struck first by a Ford Explorer - going at least 50 plus miles according the chp......updated 12/08/15 everyone's airbags went off except ours, car was totally crunched front and back and airbag sensors were even smashed. According to a mechanic that looked at the car, the bags should have gone off. Mel rapton (in sacramento, ca) worked on the car at least 5 different times because my SRS kept coming on. The last time was 12/6/14.

- Pilot Hill, CA, USA

Feb 182015

Civic

I received a recall notice via mail several months ago. I first visited the Honda dealer in burlington Massachusetts in February this year and I was told they would call me when they had the part needed to fix the car. By the end of July, I had already received a second letter regarding the same issue and the Honda dealer still hadn't called me. I went the following week again, showed them the letter and they told me they would call me the next year. As for now, they have not done so. It has been almost a year! this is a problem that can actually kill people, this can not be taken as a joke. This is not acceptable.

- Burlington, MA, USA

Nov 172014

Civic

The contact owns a 2002 Honda Civic. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign numbers: 15V370000 (air bags) and 15V320000 (air bags); however, the parts to do the repairs were unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Topanga, CA, USA

Aug 242015

Civic

I received a recall notice from Honda saying "...have your vehicle's driver's front airbag inflator replaced, at no cost to you." This is part of NHTSA recall 14V-351 I go to the dealer - ken harvey's dublin Honda and they say they will inspect the air bag and if it is not a tanaka inflator, then it will not be replaced. I show them the recall notice saying it would be replaced. The service rep said that per Honda, they only inspect and if it is not a tanaka, then it will not be replaced. Either american Honda motor and or the NHTSA should clarify this recall notice. Honda knows exactly which car I have and should know which inflator I have. The recall notice says they will replace it, but they now claim it is not a tanaka inflator and they will not replace it.

- Castro Valley, CA, USA

Apr 012015

Civic

The contact owns a 2002 Honda Civic. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V370000 (air bags), NHTSA campaign number: 15V320000 (air bags), and NHTSA campaign number: 12V136000 (exterior lighting). The contact mentioned that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for repair. The dealer stated the part needed for repair was unavailable and that the vehicle would need to be inspected prior to the part order being placed to the manufacturer. The manufacturer was not made aware of the delay. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Edingburg , TN, USA

Jun 232015

Civic

I took vehicle for air bag inflator recall, driver side and passenger side, at autonation Honda 385, in memphis, tn. They have done this work on June, 23, 2015. But dealer states new SRS unit needed at my cost of about $ $800, otherwise airbag is not going to come out at the time of accident. I called Honda, headquater, they refuse to replace SRS unit. I am still at safety risk of driving vehicle if air bag is not going to work. I fill the issue of air bag and SRS unit both are connected to each other for air bag to work at the time of accident, and Honda should replace SRS unit also under safety recall with air bag replacement campaign.

- Memphis, TN, USA

May 212015

Civic

Belted driver of a 2002 Honda Civic at 30 mph, rear-ended another vehicle and the frontal airbag did not deploy until after the accident. Driver hit her head on steering wheel, hit chin where horn is. Sustained bump on head. Burn on arm from bag deployment and neck strain. Knee hit the dash resulting in stitches. Updated 09/15/15

- Port St. Lucie, FL, USA

May 272015

Civic 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2002 Honda Civic. The contact stated that the air bag warning light illuminated. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V320000 (air bags) however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 50,000. MA 10/5

- Sunrise, FL, USA