Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Yes, the Honda Civic receives a lot of complaints because so many were sold. And sure, car parts only last so long and things eventually break. But it's never good to see this many transmission complaints, especially when the average mileage at failure is just north of 100,000 miles.

Especially when you consider that it's predecessor also has a nasty history with transmission complaints.

2002 Honda Civic seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Honda Civic:

2002 Honda Civic Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Aug 312003

For everyone wondering if the SRS sensor is something that needs to be recalled.. I will tell you yes!! I bought my 2002 Civic new and in August 2003 I totaled out my car. Neither air bag deployed and my seat belt (which I use to believe in) released while my car flipped several times and I was ejected. Since my seatbelt released in the middle of flipping somehow wrapped around and cut and burned my arm. My arm was almost amputated 3/4 of the way. Thank god for the 2 inches and my amazing doctors I was able to keep my arm after six surgeries including plastic surgery. My arm was also broke. I now have radial nerve damage which means I can not open and close my hand along with limp wrist. Also both hips were fractured along with my pelvic.due to the lacerations from my seat belt an artery was cut where I lost alot of blood and was told I was touch and go at the time and were not sure if I was going to make it, after blood transfusions and surgeries I am beyond thankful to be here today. At the age of 25 I was put on disability and also had to file bankruptcy due to I had over 100K in medical bills. For those of you that are having problems with this please get it fixed it could mean more than you know. I refuse to ever buy a Honda again 10 years later they now say there are problems with this car. I hate Honda Corp with everything in me. I will never be able to play catch with my children and will never remember what its like to just do easy tasks that now takes me hours. Thanks for allowing me to share my complaint!

- Semmes, AL, USA

Feb 162015

Civic 4-cyl

I was on my way home from work and I had a horrible car accident I hit a 80,000 lb steel truck my air bags deployed so hard it broke my sternum come up hit my chin busting it open and chipping my front tooth. It also broke my shoulder in 3 places from the seat belt and air bag together. I have bad injuries from the accident and cannot work for a year or more.

- Jesup, GA, USA

Nov 012010

The contact owns a 2002 Honda Civic. While driving at 18 mph, the contact's vehicle crashed into the preceeding vehicle at a traffic light. The contact stated that the snowy road conditions were a major factor that contributed to the crash. The air bags did not deploy and the driver side seat belt did not properly engage at the time of impact. The contact sustained injuries to the nose, mouth, face, and head, which required medical attention. A police report was filed. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 20,000.

- Harrison, NY, USA

Jan 142014

The SRS airbag light is always on, the seat belt buckle is sensing excessive resistance in the squib for the pretensioner. We have replaced the seat belt buckle once already, and it failed again. So the SRS airbag light is on which means my airbags will not go off if involved in an accident. Is this a safety issue" I see it as a safety issue and Honda will not do anything to fix the problem. Can you please let me know if this is an issue Honda should be made to repair"

- Centreville, VA, USA

Oct 152009

Civic 4-cyl

The SRS (secondary restraint system) light came on. It originally happened while the was under warranty with the previous owner. Under 36,000 miles. The Honda dealer where the car was serviced reset the light, replaced the seatbelt buckle but were unable to determine the cause of the SRS light coming back on. Multiple times. I believe this means the airbags are not working. Honda accepts no responsibility for this defect. And claim that since it occurred under warranty under the former owners of the car they are not responsible for fixing it.

- Durango, CO, USA

May 052014

Civic 4-cyl

This is regarding an open recall letter that we received and we took it to the dealer and they stated that it already had been completed. Which light is still on and the letter of the recall and the light still say that it is not done but all the dealers state that it is. We are not wanting to believe that it is true. So if there is another area that I need to be at please let me know we are just looking for this stuff to be resolved and Honda held responsible for it.

- Waynesburg, OH, USA

Apr 172013

Drivers seatbelt will not fasten. It takes six to seven tries and will then only lock in place with the use of excessive force. Sometimes it takes longer to get it fastened.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Oct 012010

Civic 4-cyl

My SRS light came on and continued to stay on. I did nothing out of the ordinary. I simply started my car, put the seat belt on and started driving when I noticed the SRS light come on. The Honda dealership inspected the issue and found it was a seat belt buckle switch malfunction. They told me that if the problem is not fixed it could be very dangerous. I was told that in the case of an accident, the seat belt may fail and the airbags will not deploy. I had the issue repaired for $295. After recently looking through old receipts, I found that there was a recall in 2007 for the opds and the SRS light staying on. In that case, the airbags were in danger of not deploying as well if someone was out of position in the seat. It seems to me that there is an issue with Civic's SRS system and the seat belt buckle switch is an ongoing and related issue as well. Seat belts are covered under a lifetime warranty but for some reason the buckle switch is not. In any case, I'm wondering why there hasn't been a recall on the seat belt buckle switch when it is a prevalent problem with this vehicle. Years after I had this issue, I am seeing on the internet that many people are still having the same problem. Something as important as seat belts and airbags failing in this vehicle during an accident should have been recalled immediately.

- Butler, NJ, USA

Jun 252012

Civic 4-cyl

My SRS light continues to illuminate, even after resetting it. It seems as if latching and/or unlatching the seat belt triggers the light. However, I'm apprehensive to pay a labor rate of $107/hour for the dealer to follow their "flowchart" to possibly find the issue. I am worried with the SRS light illuminated that the airbags will not deploy in a front collision and believe Honda should recall all vehicles of my type to have airbags and seat belts sensors checked free of charge. I have seen a few bulletins/recalls for 2002 Civics, but not for the 2002 Civic si, which is the model I own.

- Moorhead, MN, USA

Jun 142011

The contact owns a 2002 Honda Civic. The contact noticed that the rear passenger side seat belt would not reach the seat belt buckle while restraining a convertible child seat. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for diagnostics nor repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 185,300.

- Newport News, VA, USA

Aug 312003

I bought a new 02 Honda Civic ex. On Aug 31 03 it had been raining and I looked down for a moment and when I looked up I was on the edge of the road jerking my car back onto the road my car slid impacting a mailbox on my passenger front side then preceded to flip several times. Neither airbag deployed (I was told due to the first impact was not to the front). While flipping my seatbelt released me throwing me out of the driver window landing face first in the middle of the road. My injuries my left arm was severely burned doctors conclude my seatbelt wrapped around my arm due to the flipping the seatbelt cut my arm 3/4 of the way almost amputating it. I went through 6 surgeries and now have radial nerve damage and limp wrist. I can not extend my fingers and will never be able to.I also broke that arm having an external cast since my arm was cut. I fractured my front & back hip on my right side, my left pelvic bone and the left front hip bone. I spent over a month in the hospital. I was determined at 25 disabled! I was told by attorneys the wreck was my fault so therefore my car malfunctioning and my injuries received was my fault to deal with it. Which I have and will from now on. I hope one day someone will do something about what has happened to people. The wreck was my fault, but the injuries I received was not!

- Semmes, AL, USA

Oct 012010

Civic 4-cyl

The "SRS" light stayed on which disables the airbags. I was charged $344 to repair this needed safety failure. ( I had to have the driver's seat belt buckle replaced.)

- Baxter, MN, USA

Jul 302010

SRS light came on without any reason... dealership assures that no recalls have been issued on my make/model of car... however acknowledged that is common scenario for my make/model year... while SRS light is lit up indicates problem with seatbelts and/or airbags, the issue with seatbelts is that they will not engage/lock when brakes are slammed on and airbags will not deploy while SRS light remains lit up... Honda charges $90 to hookup to diagnostic system to determine if seatbelts or airbags, seatbelts are covered under lifetime guarantee and airbags are not... if it is a known issue as apparently it is while viewing complaints on both and Honda forums the diagnostic fee should be waived as well as recall be issued to repair any and all issues with SRS, isn't important to ensure safety and save lives....

- Florence, KY, USA

Jun 012009

The SRS light is always on and the driver's seatbelt fails to engage properly. This is ongoing for at least 6 months. It often takes 6 to 8 tries to engage the seatbelt, then it becomes disengaged sometimes.

- Chicago, IL, USA

May 012009

My husband and I own a 2002 Honda Civic si. Due to the recent noticed I realized we may have the same airbag and seat belt problem. Our SRS light has been permanently on for at least 6 months and our drivers side seat belt is sticking and not always locking in place. I would like to know if my complaint will be addressed, and if my car will be put on the recall list. I have contacted a Honda dealer and they have told me my car is not on the list.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Jul 242009

1. I purchased this car used, and the problem was hidden from me. 2. problem occurs everyday, the transmission slips about 1500 rpms when cold. A. seatbelts are hard to click into mechanism B. interior lights do not come on when drivers door is opened, but does when passenger door is open.. 3. nothing has been done yet, I have taken this car to many shops trying to diagnose the problem, but I cannot figure it out.

- Zeeland, MI, USA

Dec 152009

Civic 4-cyl

The SRS (secondary restraint system) light in our 2002 Honda Civic has come on. This is at least the third time this has occurred. The first time before we owned the vehicle at about 30,000 miles. The second some time in between. This last time at about 70,000 miles. The Honda dealership said the computer tells them the light comes on because of the buckle on the passenger side sea belt is defective. They have replaced the buckle at least twice. They refuse to replace it again because they claim that is not the problem, the seat buckle warning light does not come on when a passenger is sitting in the passenger seat, without the seat belt being latched. I believe this means the airbags are not operational. The Honda dealership does not know what the problem is. They claim that the problem is either in the wiring harness or the computer. One fix would cost $400, the other $600. They refuse to do anything further, although they offered to split the cost of replacing the harness or computer. They claim a lifetime warranty on the seat belts but are not honoring it in this case.

- Farmington, NM, USA

Apr 052009

I have a 2002 Honda Civic and the SRS light just turned on for no reason. Not sure what is causing the problem but it is a big concern for me that this problem has to do with the my personal safety since this affects the seat belt functioning and the vehicle air bags.

- El Paso, TX, USA

May 112009

My SRS airbag light is on and according to the Honda dealership it is something with my seat belt. This seems to be a pretty common problem among the 2002 Honda Civics. Honda should recall the cars and repair it for free. The seatbelt repair is free but the test to determine the reason my light is on is $70. This is safety related and should be brought to everyone's attention and Honda needs to fix the situation without charging the consumers the $70 diagnostic fee.

- Cordova, TN, USA

Mar 122009

The contact owns a 2002 Honda Civic. While driving approximately 55 mph on normal road conditions, the front driver's side seat belt disengaged without assistance. Immediately, the seat belt was securely engaged into the buckle mechanism. The "SRS" warning indicator illuminated on the instrument panel and remained lit until the engine was turned off. The failures occurred spontaneously. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for inspection and they stated that the failure was related to the seat belt sensor. The contact was concerned of the safety risk involved. The vehicle has not been repaired. The failure mileage was 48,000 and current mileage was 51,000.

- Richland, MI, USA