CarComplaints.com Notes: Yes, the Honda Civic receives a lot of complaints because so many were sold. And sure, car parts only last so long and things eventually break. But it's never good to see this many transmission complaints, especially when the average mileage at failure is just north of 100,000 miles.

Especially when you consider that it's predecessor also has a nasty history with transmission complaints.

8.0

2. the car has low mileage, dealer should replace transmission (2 reports)
  3. changed and topped up transmission oil - no more popping out (1 reports)
  4. replaced all parts related to failed gear (1 reports)
  5. replaced the sifter box (1 reports)
2002 Honda Civic transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Honda Civic:

2002 Honda Civic Owner Comments

Aug 112013

Civic LX 1.7L

WHEN I BOUGHT THIS CAR ROUGHLY 5 YEARS AGO, THE FIFTH GEAR STARTED POPPING OUT OF GEAR

THE TRANSMISSION WAS COVERED UNDER WARRANTY SO IT ONLY COST ME 100.00 DEDUCTIBLE PLUS WHAT EVER THE NEW CLUTCH KIT COST AT THE TIME. WAS BETWEEN 3 AND 6 MONTHS AFTER I PURCHASED THE VEHICLE. THE WARRANTY COVERED A USED TRANS FROM A JUNK YARD IN WHICH THE FIRST ONE HAD REVERSE BAD IN IT SO THEY HAD TO GET ANOTHER ONE AND DO IT ALL OVER AGAIN, THEY EITHER DIDN'T TEST DRIVE IT OR WAS HOPING I THOUGHT IT WAS NORMAL THE WAY IT SHIFTED, SO THE SECOND TRANS THEY REPLACED WAS GRINDING WHEN SHIFTING INTO THIRD GEAR

BUT THEY TOLD ME THEY DID NOT SEE IT HAPPENING. (Grappone Honda BOW, NH.) THAT WAS AT ABOUT 82,000 TO 90,000 MILES, NOW AT 139,000 MILES 5TH GEAR JUST STARTED POPPING OUT IN THIS TRANSMISSION, AND THIRD GEAR IS DEFINITELY GRINDING MORE NOTICEABLY NOW. WAS THERE A RECALL ON THIS MODEL MANUAL TRANSMISSION?

- , Lebanon, NH, USA

Feb 282013

Civic Executive 1.6L

WHAT THE "H". NOTHING WORSE THAN HAVING A VEHICLE LIKE THIS WHERE THE TRANSMISSION SUDDENLY FAILS ON YOU. CUTS OFF AND YOU WAIT TEN MINUTES AND IT WORKS FOR SOMETIME.

- , Birmingham, England, England

Mar 092011

Civic LX

I am joining the other complaints about transmission problems with the 2002 Honda Civic. I just purchased this vehicle from a used car dealer. The problem wasn't evident at the time I test drove it. However, I have had the car for almost one month and it is starting to pop out of gear. This is a serious concern after getting online and reading all of the complaints dealing with the same issue. I also just moved to the Virginia/DC area where there is alot of traffic. I am very concerned for my safety should my transmission decide to fail in the middle of the Hwy. I am surprised Honda has not done anything about this recurring complaint. I suppose the sad truth is that when corporate dollars are at stake a few lives aren't a good enough argument to fix the problem. I would encourage anyone with the same situation to file complaints. First and last time Honda owner.

- , Fairfax, VA, USA

Jan 222011

Civic LX 1.7L

Transmission popped out of gear each morning about 30 minutes driving at 120kph. ard to shift. lifted console, and used oil can to lub linkages. Then too car in to try changing transmission oil. It was down to 1/3rd of what is should be. Took out oil put in fresh. Now it is easy to shift, and has not popped out of gear since.

- , Niagara Fallss, ON, Canada

Aug 152009

Civic LX

A damaged seal on the 5 speed of my Civic caused the fluid to leak out. The lack of lube caused the fifth gear to melt itself and required the entire fifth gear assembly to be replaced. Make sure the person doing the work replaces EVERYTHING, the shop I went to decided leaving some old bushings in would be ok but they failed and within 10k miles the problem had returned.

- , Knoxville, TN, USA

Jul 152009

Civic LX

I can't say more than what's already been said. I just need to add to the complaints to get our point across! This is ridiculous. I have had more than my share of problems with this car and I got it at only 60K miles looking gorgeous. I figured for my Geo Metro, this civic was a great trade. I should have researched the year before just walking in and buying a car... dumb move on my part but i was young and gullible. I'm down to my last four payments on this damn car and I now have to replace the transmission at 134,000 miles. (The problem began last summer at around 80K miles, I dealt with it until I could no longer drive it, got it lubricated for $170 which only lasted me maybe six months, and now I don't even have a fifth gear any longer.) My trans is completely wrecked and I really didn't do anything to it to cause it to be this way. I have no intention of ever buying another Honda...my first car was a Toyota and I should have stuck by that! We had an '86 Camry with no other problems than the ancient roll down window sometimes dropping into the door. At 16 years old, that car still ran fine... And at 7 years old, I need to replace my Honda's transmission?

FUX you Honda. I can't say how many times I've wanted to write to them and just tell them how much I have hated owning a civic. Where is your legendary reliability?! I was completely ripped off at the dealer as far as the price anyhow, but the fact that I've had so many problems is just frustrating. Come on Honda, stand by your brand. This is ridiculous and I'm not the only one with the same exact DANGEROUS problem!!!! Recall these transmissions. I have filed a complaint at the government site as suggested. I should be getting a quote soon on replacement from a junkyard, but I'm a college student (who commutes an hour to class, I might add) and it's going to take me months to pay this repair bill off... just when I thought I was starting to manage my debt.... ugh! This repair will not be cheap--that is one thing I can guarantee.

- , Marlboro, NJ, USA

Jul 162008

Civic EX 1.7L Vtech

2002 Honda Civic Ex 1.7l Vtech 5 Speed

Trans popping out of 5th gear at cruising speeds.

The car only has 63,000 Miles on it and is in excellent condition

Also it is making some throwout bearing type noises until I hit the clutch

ANY IDEAS????

- , Lexington, TX, USA

Jul 142008

Civic LX 1.9L

My 2002 Honda Civic LX recently started popping out of 5th gear while driving on the Interstate. I brought it to the dealer that I purchased the car from and he had it taken to a shop where the 5th gear synchronizer was replaced. It fixed the car for about 1000 miles and it happened again. The car had about 118,000 miles on it.

So I decided to replace the transmission.

I have several friends who are mechanics and I bought a transmission with less than 30,000 miles from a junk yard. I had a friend replace the transmission as well as the clutch. It fixed the problem again for about 1000 miles and just today it started to pop out of gear AGAIN. I am so fed up with this car that I want to drive it off a cliff. I am still making payments on this car and it seems absurd to pay another penny for it. What's the deal? I thought Honda's were good cars. I guess I was wrong

- , New Hope, AL, USA

Aug 152007

Civic LX 1.6L

was on vacation and the transmission started to pop out of fifth gear, brought to dealer and was told it was a rubber bushing with the input shaft and the sifter linkage is was worn it is is not under warranty. that was around 60,000 km, at around 80,000 problem reoccurred, brought it to dealer and had same thing changed, under warranty from first repair.

at 98,000 it happened only once so I brought it to dealer and they could not look into it as I did not have all my oil change receipts and I did not change the transmission fluid at 70,000 km.

now at 12,000 it is happening again but all the time. will not take to dealer and do not want to change the bushing again as it will just keep happening. bringing it to a garage to have an estimate done.

- , Verdun, Quebec, Canada

Dec 292006

Civic LX 1.9L 4 cyl

I have owned Honda before and I am very disappointed they choose to use a plastic sifter box, but even more that it appears the replacement part is the same as what was in there. In past when I replaced a part in the Honda which had design problems they usually changed the designed or gave corrective action to fix the problem.

- , Austin, TX, USA

Nov 192003

Civic LX

Gearstick has jumped out of gear several times. Overall I am not happy with the car. During acceleration it sticks and gears are giving problems. This car is hardly a year old, it was bought brand new. When complaining about the issues to the Honda dealer, they ignored my needs and the car remains the same. I would not buy a Honda again, very negative experience.

- , Santa Monica, CA, USA