CarComplaints.com Notes: Yes, the Honda Civic receives a lot of complaints because so many were sold. And sure, car parts only last so long and things eventually break. But it's never good to see this many transmission complaints, especially when the average mileage at failure is just north of 100,000 miles.

Especially when you consider that it's predecessor also has a nasty history with transmission complaints.

9.2

$2,333.00

1. replace transmission (137 reports)
  2. rebuild transmission (60 reports)
  4. replaced transmission, Honda covered cost of parts (9 reports)
  5. open a case with honda corporate (7 reports)
  6. scrapped car (3 reports)
2002 Honda Civic transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Honda Civic:

2002 Honda Civic Owner Comments (Page 6 of 14)

May 112011

Civic LX 1.7L

if so many people are having this same issue, which there is. Honda should be responsible buisness people stand by there so called reliability and have a recall on the failure of the tranny

- , New Bern, NC, USA

Aug 052011

Civic LX 1.7L V4

Like most everybody else is reporting... My 2002 Honda Civic's Automatic Transmission just gave out and without any WARNING whatsoever... No leaks, no noises, no smells, ... it slipped about two times when I began to drive my 10 year old daughter to the airport to send her home to her mother in Texas at 5:00 in the morning. Ran fine on the freeway all the way to the airport but decided to just stop working (engine racing but not moving); which caused me to breakdown in the damn "Shuttle" Lane in front of the airport's Terminal 4. I needed to be at Terminal 1 which was a half mile further up. The Airport Police immediately began harassing me; telling me to move my car. After explaining that it was broke down with apparent Transmission problems and that I desperately needed to get my 10 year old daughter on the plane before she missed her flight; the police told me that I could NOT leave my vehicle unattended and that I needed to get a two truck there within a half hour or they would tow it away! Needless to say, My daughter missed her flight. It took AAA two and one-half hours to get there and the police had already called for an impound. My ex-wife was pissed off and had to pay for another flight out of an airport (LAX) 70 miles away so my daughter could get home which required my ex-wife's father to take a day off work and travel from Long Beach to Ontario (approx. 60 miles) to pick up my daughter so he could take her to LAX while I waited for and accompanied my vehicle out of there in the tow truck. If I didn't have a badge in my wallet, the police would definitely not have been so patient with me and the situation. I know the shuttle buses weren't !!! I got honked at for a solid two and one-half hours!! My car will not roll even a little bit. No engagement of the transmission at all!! This is completely ridiculous. There is no way a transmission should go out or break down that soon. I hadn't even broken 100,000 miles on this car. HONDA NEEDS TO INITIATE A RECALL on this issue and they should be fixing the problem in all the cars that seem to be having this very same issue. Obviously, there are lots of people with the same issues and if Honda will NOT initiate a recall and take care of their customers... then IT'S TIME TO INITIATE A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT against Honda. I am told that my transmission either needs to be replaced which, would cost upwards of $4000.00 ... OR... It needs to be rebuilt at around the cost of about $2000.00. Total BS... HONDA....Dependable???? .... ONLY IF HONDA STANDS BY THEIR PRODUCTS AND TAKES CARE OF THEIR CUSTOMERS !!! Otherwise... No more dependable than any other car on the market and therefore, Honda's slogan would be considered FALSE ADVERTISING. A word to HONDA MOTOR COMPANY.... "STAND BY YOUR PRODUCTS" "TAKE CARE OF YOUR LOYAL CUSTOMERS" "HONDA UP AND DO THE RIGHT THING"

Update from Apr 28, 2012: UPDATE:

Just remembered I posted a complaint on this site. After contacting Honda and threatening them with a class-action civil lawsuit... I was finally able to bring the otherwise bitchy and uncooperative Honda case manager to a more cooperative state. After her telling me that they would fix my transmission for $2800.00 and when I told her I'd see her in court with at least 400 other angry Honda owners and after giving her a civil Attorney's name and phone number I just found in the Yellow Pages... She finally decided that I would get my transmission replaced for $800.00 which included the manufacturers warranty of 3 years/36000 miles. Given the fact that my warranty had long expired... this was an excellent resolution to an otherwise nightmarish situation. For all of you reading this... threaten Honda with a civil Class-Action suit and mention an Attorney's name when you do. Remember the resolution I was able to swing with Honda. Follow my blueprint and see if it works for you!! Good Luck!!

- , Moreno Valley, CA, USA

Jul 272011

Civic LX 1.7L

This is the second Honda we have owned (2202 & 2000) with a total transmission failure at 100k. Unlike timing belts, most transmission should give more than 100K in service. Honda knows this is a problem but has been able to skate on a recall. They want to direct you back to the dealer for repairs. the dealer wanted $5,000 and Honda was going to kick in $300. My independent Honda repair shop is doing the rebuild for $2500.

Currently we own 3 Hondas. We will replace these with more reliable vehicles that the manufacturers want to stand behind. Any suggestions??

- , Lakewood, CO, USA

Jul 012010

Civic

click to see larger images

transmission failure

Transmission on my 2002 Honda Civic just went on me while driving on main highway. Dealership told me it would cost $3000-50000 to get repaired and that it is not covered by Honda. So, I got a another used one and newer year. I am disappointed with Honda as most people are and will never buy another one because of the number of people who had same problem and Honda will not cover cost or give a recall. With so many complaints, now I can't even sell the call because the world knows about the transmission problems with this year car. If I could afford it I would definitely make a law suit against them for this. They are the loser because now most people that had this problem will not buy another Honda very quickly, hence Honda loser. Anyway, that's my story and I am sticking to it!!

- , Abbotsford, BC, canada

Jul 122011

Civic LX

add my name to the disgruntled Honda owners who thought we were buying a good car.

- , San Luis Obispo, CA, USA

Jun 242011

Civic EX

Well I got my car back 04 used with 54000 miles on it its now at 121754 miles and for my b-day my car broke down transmission just started to rev high yes this is a pain in the ass but I'm going to say this I get 385 to 420 miles to a tank of gas as bad as it is going out on me all I have to say is I wont buy anything other then a honda my niece has a 06 chevy transmission left her and my son stick on the side of the road and my girlfriend and her 03 focus 2 transmissions in 2 years wont buy ford ever. HONDA STILL THE BEST CAR FOR THE BUCK

- , Hagerstown, MD, USA

Jul 052011

Civic

First of all the check engine light has been going on and off for about a year now. We've had it serviced (even at Honda) but it's a guessing game for what is causing the problem. By the way, of course, we paid for the various diagnostics and repairs that didn't solve the problem. We got a full service oil change a couple of weeks ago and the light went off and the car seemed fine, again. We were driving to Chicago to pick up our son from the airport and the car started jerking and felt like it was about to stall so we pulled over to the side of the road about 20 minutes away from the airport. We had to pay for towing and a cab driver to get us to the airport. The car had to be towed back to our town 100 miles away! We haven't had it serviced yet...really hoping it doesn't have to be replaced. We just finished paying off the car last year!

- , Milwaukee, WI, USA

Jun 292011

Civic LX 1.7L 4-cyl

My wife purchased a Honda for reliability. This car started making higher than usual rev noises when moving into the next position on the automatic transmission. My wife took her vehicle to Honda - Like she always does- to diagnose the issue. Hennessey Honda in Kennesaw GA stated it was a Power steering fluid issue. Needless to say yesterday while coming back from a client meeting the car (While in Midtown Atlanta Traffic at noon) stopped engaging and moving forward. I knew at this point it had to be her transmission. We took the car to Hennessay Honda who stated they could diagnose this issue. The underlying fee was $125. The Honda Dealer stated the car would not move forward, or reverse.....it had to be the transmission....and a Rebuilt Transmission will cost $3,700 on a car that was maintained and driven in average condition. The car is worth roughly $4,000.

- , Marietta, GA, USA

Jun 202011

Civic LX 1.7L

My 02 civic hasn't even broke 100k miles, and the trans. just went out..

- , Redding, CA, US

Jun 182011

Civic

Almost one week ago. The damn transmission was failed when I was driving on the road. I just bought this car one year ago, and do the regular maintenance. I did the transmission flush before 100,000 miles. But when it reached just over 110,000 miles, the car just can't be moved. At the second morning, the car can be slowly driven, so I slipped it to a Transmission garage. They told me it will cost over $2000 to fix it. I thought it's impossible to me. Then I drove it back to my parking space. I called honda customer service and they refused to do anything. I would like to join any class lawsuit to honda company. Please email me if you have any information at gak1116@gmail.com, thanks!

Honda civic sucks!

- , Columbia, MO, USA

Mar 292011

Civic LX

I see on line that there are PLENTY of complaints about transmission failures. This should be addressed in a recall. I expect Honda to satisfy me somewhat but I also expect that the price of repair at the dealership is going to be more expensive overall. So, no real savings and besides, this car shouldn't have a transmission failure at 82,000 miles. Honda dealer should have caught this problem & at the very least explained the potential for problems with the transmission. I think they also should have suggested that the car have transmission specific service at frequent intervals. Apparently this is not a new problem for Honda: THEY KNOW IT IS A RECALL ISSUE AND THEY SHOULD "HONDA UP' ON THIS!

- , Walnut Creek, CA, US

Feb 072011

Civic LX

I called Honda, they are not taking responsibility.

I see that there is a high failure rate of the Honda civic 2002 transmission. I would like to bring up a class action against the company and need help as well as support from anyone who encounter this problem. please email me to hondacivic2002CA@gmail.com

Thank you.

- , Woodbridge, CT, USA

Jan 032011

Civic LX

The problem with my 2002 civic is so bad that it stopped me on the road many times and i have to push it to the side for safety. Noticed the problem first when I started the car and turned the gear to drive but the car wasn't moving. The car engine is running but the car is not moving when I press the gas pedal. Sometimes the car will start moving backward when I press the gas pedal and the gear is on drive. The reverse gear was not moving too. I took the car to Canadian tires and they said they cant find anything wrong with the car cos they were able to drive it. They said the transmission oil is good though it look like transmission problem. The engine light was on but they said it can be a problem with the sensor. They did diagnostic and didn't find anything.

The car will move sometimes but the movement is jerky and it will stop sometimes in the middle of the highway. Imagine the danger and suffering I had to pass through. I took the car to the repair shop again and they said it look like transmission problem. They said that the fixing will cost $2600 and I don't have such amount to fix the car I just bought in 2008. The car is still parked because I don't know whether to repair it and if its going to be worse after the repair. I pray Honda will do something about this issue because the safety of the people driving the car is very important.

- , Brampton, Ontario, canada

Apr 132011

Civic LX

Transmission started slipping when shifting from 2nd to 3rd, and then 2 days later it failed at a stop light. I pushed it to the side and let it sit a few minutes and it ran again, although slipping worse now. I got it home and now I'll have to get a new transmission. 105,000 miles.

- , Cupertino, CA, USA

Feb 182011

Civic LX 1.7L

I realize the car has a lot of kilometers on it but that being said I believe the transmission should last longer. This will cost me around 2,000.00-2,500.00 CDN to fix and after hearing about the transmission failures for my model year, whether at 50,000 kms or 250,000 kms I feel Honda should help out with the bill.

- , Fletcher's Lake, NS, Canada

Jan 282011

Civic LX 1.7L

I bought this car used in January 2010 with 122,000 miles.The previous owner had the transmission fluid changed at 120,000 miles. At 125,000 during other servicing I was told the transmission fluid was black and so I had it changed again. The transmission failed suddenly at 127,000 miles, fortunately near home.

I had the car towed to a AAA approved transmission repair facility who are members of the ATRA (automatic transmission rebuilders association). They rebuilt the transmission for about $2,400 which included a 3 year, 36 month full warranty that would be covered by any ATRA transmission shop in the US.

Before choosing to rebuild I looked into finding a transmission from a newer Civic but all information I obtained from reliable non-Honda sources was that transmissions used in 2004 or 2005 are no different from those used in the 2001-2003 Civics and would likely have the the same number of problems that have become significant in the 2001 and 2002 models. The only thing I did find out was that some of them were made in Japan and some in the US but no one had any data on if there was a reliability difference.

It was recommended that the transmission fluid for this model be changed every 2 years or 15,000 miles using a technique where fluid is added while draining at the same time with the engine running and using the transmission pump to circulate. I am told this can take up to 30 quarts but is the safest way. Although a pressured approach is used at some shops it is not considered the best way to go if a transmission is not in the best of shape and can cause an earlier failure of one that is already marginal. This may have contributed in my case since my transmission did seem less responsive, (more slipping) after having the fluid changed 2,000 miles before it failed.

- , Encinitas, CA, USA

Jan 312011

Civic EX 1.7L

I am in utter shock and disbelief... I cant believe my transmisson had to be replaced at 110k miles... My honda Civic used to be my pride and joy (emphasis on used to be) "Honda reliability right out the door"... Class Action Lawsuit, count me in...

- , Sun Valley, CA, US

Feb 072011

Civic

My story is the same as the other 150+ complaints listed. I am the only owner of this car, well maintained only 125,000 miles. Started as the tranmission slipping when driving between gears. When I got a transmission test ran they said it was fine. Only for a week later, I was at a light and I pushed the gas but the car didn't go, very dangerous. No way of detecting when your transmission is going to give on you. This is wrong of Honda to not fix a problem with all the vehicle, and only recall some. My mom's 02 odyssey was fixed for free with the same issue (with 85,000 miles). This is my third Honda I have owned and if Honda would like to keep my business, they need to right their wrong. Please inform me of any class action lawsuit.

- , St Petersburg, FL, USA

Aug 052010

Civic LX 1.7L

it really sucked ass. i was driving to work into Boston and got caught in traffic. after a few minutes a few shudders. wth? had to put in a lot of gas to move. so i just kept revving to get it moving. lucky there was an exit to Burlington. got off with the hazards on going 10mph. parked at Burlington. waited an 1.5 hrs. tow costed 85$.

ive been working on the transmission lately and it seems that the clutches were really sticky and the VALVE BODY IS JAMMED. so here goes some more painful hrs of cleaning, replacing the seals, and clutches. spent about 700 total with all the belts, fluid, brakes and more.

- , Lowell, MA, USA

Aug 212010

Civic LX

Regarding: My 2002 Honda Civic LX Transmision Replacement request. This was the first time that I have purchased a Honda because everyone says it will last forever and how reliable hondas are. My brother owned Honda for years and put 300 miles on it with No Problem droved to Mexico from Canada. But I guess not 01 and 02 Honda Civic. I have taken care of the vehicle maintaintenance and that didn't do me any good. The vehicle stopped moving when I was coming back home from a meeting on a weekend. I had it towed to a transmission place and he told me it would cost me $1,800 to re-build my transmission. It cost me about $1300 when in fact my car was at less than 65,000 miles. I've been reading about how this is a huge problem in this year of Honda and that I should probably sell the car now.

This is such a harmful situation and yet Honda does not see the danger of its consumers driving around town to have their cars suddenly give out or rev, and wishing they can pull over without causing anymore safety issues. We need a recall ASAP! Many of us in these bad economic times cannot afford to pay thousands of dollars to fix the tranny nor pay for a new car.

Why hasn't Honda done a recall on 01 and 02 Honda Civic transmission? I am Very upset. I thought Honda would stand behind their vehicles and that the fact we were buying a Honda actually meant quality.

- , La, CA, USA