CarComplaints.com Notes: Yes, the Honda Civic receives a lot of complaints because so many were sold. And sure, car parts only last so long and things eventually break. But it's never good to see this many transmission complaints, especially when the average mileage at failure is just north of 100,000 miles.

Especially when you consider that it's predecessor also has a nasty history with transmission complaints.

9.2

$2,333.00

1. replace transmission (137 reports)
  2. rebuild transmission (60 reports)
  4. replaced transmission, Honda covered cost of parts (9 reports)
  5. open a case with honda corporate (7 reports)
  6. scrapped car (3 reports)
2002 Honda Civic transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Honda Civic:

2002 Honda Civic Owner Comments (Page 7 of 14)

Mar 132011

Civic EX 4 cyl

Purchased this Honda 3.5 months ago for my son. This past Sunday check engine light came on and transmission failed. Towed to my local Honda dealer where all my service is done and Honda did pay for 25% goodwill fix. This car has 71000 miles and it still cost me 2300. I think they should pay 75% and me the 25%. Sign me up for a class action suit.

- , Groveland, MA, USA

Mar 082011

Civic

i like my Honda , but why did it have to break my hart like this why.....why

- , Odessa, FL, USA

Feb 072011

Civic

2002 Civic with just under 58,000 miles, same story as the rest on here. Randomly went capoot. This vehicle was maintained regularly, never towed anything, just a flat out poor quality build. Honda won't do a goodwill repair or anything of that nature. Ridiculous.

- , Logan, UT, USA

Feb 232011

Civic

Just fixed an oil leak $900. Then transmission failed $2800 this year car is such a hassle DON'T BUY THIS YEAR MODEL!!!!!!

- , Nebraska City, NE, USA

Sep 172010

Civic EX 1.7L V4

8 year old car, transmission failure, can't afford to fix, stuck in driveway, estimate to fix is $3500. Car only worth $5500. Not worth fixing. Never will buy Honda again due to this, sounds like it is a common problem. If class action suit is filed, I'm in.

- , Grants Pass, OR, USA

Jan 072011

Civic LX 1.7L

Just bought this car paying a little more hoping to avoid putting money in for some time... well I was hoping for more like 2-3 years not 1 month.

- , Smiths Creek, MI, US

Jan 032011

Civic LX 1.7L

%th gear started to pop out and then It wouldn't even go into 5th at all. Now I need to take it apart

- , Victoria, BC, Canada

Feb 082011

Civic

2002 Honda civic with 57,000 miles on it and the transmission failed. Followed maintenance schedule, have proof of maintenance, but Honda won't do anything because all the work was done at a dealer besides the Honda dealership. Paid $2,400 at AAMCO for a rebuild and a lifetime warranty, Honda dealership want $5,000 with a 3 year warranty.

- , Logan, UT, USA

Dec 082010

Civic GL 4.0L

How fast can you say not another major repair on a Honda Wow? I called Honda to complain that my Honda 2002 civic transmission died at 98,000 they said I need to have to tow to their dealer before they can even help. Sorry I towed it to a local guy I cannot offer to have it towed again. The rep on the phone said sorry they cannot help I ask to talk to a supervisor and he said the decision will l not change they cannot help. Wow never again will we buy a Honda - sad to say we just bought a 2nd one a 2010 now I am worried I made a mistake I will have to teach my kids now to stay away from one of the last few cars that was

good.

Shame on you Honda shame shame how your phone tech knows sorry he would not have someone call me or escalate my ticket he said it would not help wow wow not good Honda not good

they know that at 98000 it will fail wow bad honda

- , Lake Zurich, IL, USA

Jan 152011

Civic LX 1.5L

Our Honda civic car has been running OK but until last week when the transmission failed while I was going to a shop. It took several days and $3000 including car rental for 5 days. I would like to explore the possibilities for a class action lawsuit if anyone gives an idea about how long it will take for the whole process. I will not recommend anybody to buy a Honda vehicle.

- , Tucson, AZ, USA

Jan 202011

Civic LX

I maintain my car. I follow the maintenance schedule. My mechanic said that the fluid was good and there were no signs that the transmission would fail. There were also no saved codes when they ran the diagnostic check. I just had my oil changed and engine checked out 3 weeks ago! I called Honda and they said the likelihood of them fixing or paying for any of it is slim!! I bought a Honda because I thought they lasted forever but I only have 100,000 miles and I can't drive it.

- , Milwaukee, WI, USA

Dec 092010

Civic

Before transmission failed, did hear a whirling noise that almost sounded like a dentist drill for a month. Then, on day it died, could not shift gears properly nor would my car go very fast at 3rd gear (20 mph). Transmissions seem to be the Achilles heel of Hondas.

- , Cincinnati, OH, USA

Dec 242010

Civic EX 1.7L

my wife was driving in very heavy traffic while Christmas shopping and the transmission just began slipping, she could not get off the road completely before it just quit. we got it towed to nearest dealer and he called a week later and said it would cost $4000 to fix it.we are very disappointed in this because we had gotten it out of the shop the day before, we have had all the regular maint. done. i have read other complaints on this model and a lot of them say they have just gotten them out of shop for maint. when this happens, do you suppose the Honda dealers are doing something to cause this?????????? we are very disappointed my wife is very upset, guess we won't buy Honda again.........if they have a class action lawsuit please let me know.

- , Lincoln, AL, USA

Dec 062010

Civic LX 4 cyl

Daughter driving 2002 Honda Civic, well maintained with 90K miles, and slowed to make turn but car would not shift. This was late at night and in a major traffic area. Honda doesn't consider this a safety issue, but I certainly do since my daughter was stranded in the cold, late at night, and could have been hit in the intersection or from behind as her car suddenly lost acceleration without any warning whatsoever. Car had to be towed 45 miles and is currently being diagnosed, but assume from what I've read that transmission needs to be replaced. Called Honda and they want me to have the car towed to a dealer for diagnostics, and quoted about $3600 for replacement with 3 yr warranty. Was told by Honda they would open a case, but dealer says unlikely anything will be done. I'm not willing to spend $1200 more for dealer to repair just on the possibility of some "good will" supplement. Good will? Really? Honda should be held accountable for what appears to be a pervasive problem and an absolute safety issue.

- , Raleigh, NC, USA

Oct 032010

Civic EX 4 cyl

Although this has happened to many people, Honda right out of the door told me it did not apply to my serial number......hummmmm at 66k miles seems a transmission failure on a well maintained, dealer serviced, easily driven, one owner car might just indicate a manufacturing issue. Now, it is Nov 30 and Honda called me yesterday, but when I called back I got voice mail and then they do not call me again. I am going to work towards getting more folks like me together and a lawyer! The icing on the care was the mechanic at the Honda dealer offering to buy the car for $500. dealer maintained, garage kept, one owner, never in accident and they were so generous. NEVER another Honda product.

- , St Louis,, MO, USA

Dec 082010

Civic

I bought my 2002 Honda Civic new in July 2002 and have followed the recommended service schedule. Now, with no warning, the transmission has failed at only 71,000 miles. I had it towed to a mechanic who is looking for a used transmission. I have no idea how much this is going to cost. Would it do any good to complain to Honda about this?

- , Huntington, WV, USA

Dec 052010

Civic 1.7L

Went out to my car one morning for school and my car took off very slowly and only got up to five mph then picked up to speed. I stopped to pick my friend up and put the car in park. Then after a few minutes of idle I put the car in drive and absolutely nothing. Honda better cover this other wise I will never be buying a Honda again.

- , Warwick, RI, USA

Nov 192010

Civic 2DR EX 1.7

I am the only owner of a Civic with 154100 miles at this time of writing. I have cared for the car religiously as a weekend mechanic and had high hopes of exceeding the 200K mark and running it into the ground (500K?) Obviously you are reading this because you know that is not possible with all these transmission problems.

I am currently in the process of looking for spare transmission. The noises it makes it almost unbearable and am trying to avoid some of the horror stories I have read on this site.

- , Los Angeles, CA, USA

Nov 122006

Civic EX 1.7L

Purchased the vehicle in June 2006. Only had 63000 miles when I got it. Less than 5 months later I was driving the civic when it did not want to switch into gear. I tried driving it home at 15mph when the car came to a complete stop on the roadway. The transmission did not want to kick into gear. Had to tow the car home and it stayed in the parking lot until march 2007 when I finally got my tax refund to repair the transmission. This car has given me hell since I purchased it. We need to open a class action lawsuit against honda for these civics.

- , Keizer, OR, USA

Oct 122010

Civic

I can't believe my Honda Civic transmission totally went out only one hour after I left the dealer service place (Beavercreek, OH). I wanted to have them checked the noise from the car, and the I was told by the dealer place that the noise came from the transmission and they could do nothing about it.

The car was towed back to the dealer place and we were told that the transmission needed replacement with a cost of $3000+tax. I just spent over $500 on the car service on the same day, it was insane!! I decided to have it done in AAMCO for $2,800 including tax

I called the Honda customer service and I was told that since the transmission replacement was not done in dealer place although all the scheduled service and repair of my car had been done in the dealer place, Honda could do nothing about it.

I was shocked!! How can Honda get away from this? If there is a class action lawsuit, count me in!

- , Cincinnati, OH, USA