7.8

$1,928.00

1. Replace transmission (29 reports)
  3. warranty must be increase by honda from 100000 to 160000 (5 reports)
  4. purchase extended warranty (1 reports)
  5. solenoid was sticking. cleaned solenoid and works great now (1 reports)
2002 Honda Civic transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Honda Civic:

2002 Honda Civic Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Mar 122014

Civic

I went into specific detail regarding this shifting problem when I was having the car checked out to see whether it needed a new clutch. The Service Manager ASSURED me (as well as the actual Service Technician that was to work on the car) that they would fix this problem when they replaced the clutch and the added on another $1800 to replace some valves. They didn't fix the problem and are now trying to say that maybe I need a new or rebuilt transmission. It appears from all of the online complaints that they KNEW there were transmission problems with this model year and yet said nothing about it. Had they, I would not have bothered spending another dime on the car. In addition, since they "repaired" my car, I now have another problem with brief power loss when shifting that was never there until they worked on the car.

They are refusing to fix the problem because it is intermittent and has not yet occurred while they have had it - yet they KNEW about transmission problems with this model.

- , Raleigh, NC, USA

Jan 092013

Civic LX 1.7L

I was driving home on highway and suddenly car started slowing down. I was pushing gas pedal, engine was spinning but car started to slow down. It was very scary but luckily I was able to pull on side on highway without any collision. I stop and started car again. Car did not move in drive but started moving in lower gears. I took local road to reach home. Next day decided to take it to Honda dealer and on the way got engine light came on. I was able to reach driving in lower gear. Dealer told me it is code P0730 and needs new transmission with $3500.00 cost. This is definitely recall issue and Honda has to address it. I was big fan of Honda Bot not anymore. My other car is also 2007 Honda pilot.

I will appreciate if somebody can guide me on how to deal with Honda now. My car was very well maintained and I am the original owner. I just put new tires and struts on it. Now, I am feeling very sick with the whole thing. I don't want to buy new car definitely don't want pay 3500 to repair it.

- , Bothell, WA, USA

Oct 032012

Civic EX 2.3L

Like many of you, I thought buying a Honda was a no brainer. I have only bought Chevy trucks in the past with great success, but I wanted a small 4 cylinder car to use back in forth to work. My wife had a Toyota Camry several years ago and we must of had a lemon (our luck) becuase it had constant issue that ended in the camshaft breaking so I "gave" it away to a mechanic friend. No more Toyota's for me, that one left a bad taste.

So now about the Honda, what a nice little spry car. I loved the look on the EX coupe with wing and sunroof so I took a shot at buying my first Honda. Why oh why didn't I do my homework on what year NOT to buy. The 2002 is riddled with transmission complaints that I discovered after having my own issue.

The car one morning started "flaring" between shifting. I never knew what that word meant until I had to research the issue with this car. I panicked and thought maybe it was a low fluid level. I checked and the dipstick was almost falling out due to the rubber boot being worn out. The level was good, so I went and bought the "mandatory" Honda fluid. You know the type right, buy our fluid or your transmission will fail...yeah that fluid. So I changed fluids 3 times like all the online sites suggested and bought a new dipstick. No help at all, problem is just getting worst.

I called around to several shops and the price starts at $1500 and goes up from there. Well I just bought the car used for $4000 so that was really depressing. I called Honda in hopes that the history of this transmission may help in getting some relief. Their price was over $5000 including labor....WOW. Though the guy was super nice and told me that this transmission had a history of failure due to sub-par parts in original transmission. He stated that Honda had increased the warranty due to that issue but that my car had too many miles to qualify...grrrrrr. I wonder if the prior owner(s) ever had the transmission worked on.

So my dilema is list the car with the issues for sale on Craigslist and use what little money I can get from that to put towards another car, or salvage this one??? This may be my last Honda if I don't get this fixed

I believe.

- , Goose Creek, SC, USA

Dec 122012

Civic

I am the owner of a 2002 Honda civic... about two weeks ago I noticed my transmission slip between gears followed by a loud clunk, the vehicle revs for about 5 seconds and then finally jerks forward! I thought maybe it had to do with the cold weather since I it only occurred when it was cold! I took it to the Honda dealership, they did a transmission drain and fill and said that they didn't notice anything wrong with the vehicle! One week later...same thing! I bought this vehicle because of reliability, Honda needs to recall this vehicle. But why haven't they you might ask? Because this is clearly an expensive repair to fix on the high volume of vehicles that are affected by this issue. I couldn't believe my eyes when I researched the common problems with this year of civic and saw ALL OF THESE COMPLAINTS... i guess im not the only one. On top of that, my suspension would have clunking sounds all the time, brought into the shop maybe once every 3 months for something else that needed replacement. I had a friend who owned an identical civic to mine, it was totaled before she experienced transmission issues, but she had to replace pretty much the entire suspension too!

- , Edmonton, AB, Canada

Feb 112010

Civic LX 1.7L

in 2010, i was on my way to work when all of a sudden my car wouldn't move and I'm pushing down on the gas pedal, the only thing that was moving was the acceleration gauge....i called my dad and told him what had happened, so he took it to a mechanic and told him that i need a new gearbox/transmission, so i got it fixed and it came out of my pocket... two years later it started doing the same thing again, the car jerks when switching gears from 3 to 4, and shifts when switching from 4 to 5... luckily i near my house when this occurred and then the check engine light turned on... frustrating.

- , Mission Hills, CA, USA

Apr 012009

Civic

Honda's are suppose to last! After getting a transmission rebuilt I am still experiencing problems...this car is so unreliable!

- , Atlanta, GA, USA

Sep 012011

Civic EX 1.7 Vtec

I hear the 02 civic have a bad transmission and it is correct!! really bad. already slipping at 70,000 miles!!! i love hondas but not the way they design the transmission. i think i should sue honda, because they new of this problem maybe ill get way more money from the suing them then for honda to change or replace my transmission. I'm really pissed off and I'm sure everyone who owns and 02 civic.

- , Paterson, NJ, USA

Jan 052012

Civic Coupe 1.7L

noticed transmission starting to slip in cold weather between 2nd and 3rd gear, it's ok once it warms up but I don't know what's going to happen, it could last a year or it could go tomorrow. Seems like a lot of people with 2001 and 2002 Civics have the same problem and eventually end up having transmission replaced. Was quoted $500 for a used transmission with low kms from Tiger Japanese in Mississauga and another $400 in labour to install.

- , Niagara Falls, Ontario, canada

Oct 312011

Civic EX 1.7L

Well, I baught this '02 civic brand new from the dealer in 10/02. Around 75k the trans started to slip, and i thought nothing of it. Just continued to drive it just a little more careful(and had fluid changed about every30k per dealer recommendations)....About 5 years later(now with 152,000) miles, its starting to slip so bad, im spinning the tires in between gears(and this is an automatic) It would slam so hard the dashboard would move....So, knowing this was near the end, took it to a local trans shop, and sure enough, complete trans failure! Cost to fix 2100$, not worth it on a 10 year old car with 152,000 miles on it....plus it needed alot of other things too..too long to list. For a $19,000 car, to get 10 years and 152k outta the trans is pretty good in my book, traded in this sick car for a 07 Accord EX-L, and love my new car!! WOuld buy hondas again & again....Besides this trans issue, in 10 years, all i put into the car was a alternator & battery(and tires & brakes too) Alot better than my Taurus, that was in the shop weekly!

- , Parma, OH, USA

Nov 252011

Civic EX 1.7L

Transmission started "flaring" between 2nd and 3rd gears when cold. Car shifted ok after it warmed up. Took it to a transmission shop and they confirmed it was on the way to failing. I traded it in while it was still running ok and bought a new car. Toyota this time.

- , Richardson, TX, USA

Oct 172011

Civic LX

Four months back I heard from my friend that his Honda Odyssey's transmission break down, I thought he is just having a bad luck because he bought it used. 3 Months later, while driving back from work on my Honda civic, the transmission give up on me. The dealer asked for 3000 to fixed it. For the record it is a 2002 civic with 78k miles on it, and I have been servicing it regularly at the dealer. Since then, talking about it with my friends we discover there are another 3 of our close friends that run into the same problem. 1, is a 2008 Honda pilot, 2, is a Honda odyssey 2006, and 3, Odyssey 2004.

Within my close circle I know of 3 Odyssey, 1 pilot and my own civic having transmission breakdown, this is not a bad luck, rather a bad product by Honda.

I have pilot 2005 that are close to 70k now, I will for sure getting my self Honda free soon.

- , Portland, OR, USA

Oct 262011

Civic LX 1.7L

Unbelievable. I wish I would have known about this before I purchased the car back in 2007.

- , Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Oct 162011

Civic DX Sedan 1.7L

Okay, tranny now slipping or flaring as some like to call it. This is how it all started last year. Flaring from first to second when cold! I don't have the money for a rebuild, so I guess I drive it till it blows again! I contacted Honda Canada today, I wonder how long it will take for them to get back to me. Tranny #4 on the way out! Haven't paid off the 2nd one yet! BS!!!

- , Chilliwack, BC, canada

Jun 072011

Civic LX 1.7L

Love Hondas, but after I bought this used and had it for a few months I noticed the tranny starting to slip slightly. I haven't had the problem fixed yet. I' hoping for a recall on this thing. Its still slipping and hasn't gone out completely. Never thought I would have this problem with a honda, but after reading all the complaints which I would of checked things out a little more. Agree with what others are saying there needs to be a class action against honda. They need to do a recall.

- , Lilly, PA, USA

Feb 152010

Civic

Everything was going fine with this car until I hit 60000 miles. Up until then this car was excellent in every way. Then the transmission started slipping. It slips mostly between 1st and 2nd gear, but also between 2nd and 3rd. I have to accelerate the car very slowly so that the slip is minimized. This can be a big problem when you're trying to get on the highway. Ive changed the tranny fluid to no avail. I had my mechanic look at the car and he said it will cost about $3000 to fix. I'm not going to throw good money into this piece of junk. Now I have 75,000 miles on the car and basically I will drive it until it breaks. Never again will I buy Honda. I was thinking of replacing my wife's Subaru Forester with a CRV but not now. Honda has lost me as a customer for life.

- , Oceanside, NY, USA

May 032011

Civic LX

My daughter was driving car and all yellow engine light came on and whirling sound. Car would not exceed 15 mph in the middle of rush hour in Memphis! She was able to turn car into a parking lot but indicated it seemed like it was about to die. I came down to check car out thinking it was possible belt problem or vacuum hose - but all fluids good, belts checked out and found no loose connections or bad lines or hoses. I then tried ehold driving to repair shop about 5 minutes from where she pulled over but after 2 blocks I had to pull into driveway - I could feel slippage and grinding noise and would not go above 15 mph. Car towed and I decided to look up known problems with 2002 Honda civics while I wait for the bad news tomorrow. Lo and behold almost all the symptoms of transmission failure were listed here - I do roblemsnot have $2400 to $3600 for a new or rebuilt transmission. My daughter could have been seriously injured due to no warning but just happening like it did. Luckily - as big a pain in the butt as she is - I have taught her well on car problems. I have told her numerous times if something happens or seems wrong - to pull the car over and call me. Even though she has cried wolf many a time - she does well when something does not seem right with her car. I chose a honda for her because I have heard how great they are and reliable but why has this known problem with 2001 @ 2002 trani's been kept a secret. This is a very dangerous situation and needs to be made known by all Honda owners -but I guess it will take a fatality or 2 before something is done. Never again Honda never again!

Update from May 5, 2011: As suspected the Transmission needs to be replaced - will not sink another 2400 to 3000 into thi car - especially when it can re-occur. I had towed to dealership and will now begin process of looking for another vehicle - but not a Honda. This was my first and last one of these.

- , Cordova, TN, USA

Mar 012011

Civic EX

yep, having tranny problems. went to a car repair place because the car wouldn't accelerate when we pressed the gas which is very scary when you're on the freeway onramp with cars on your booty. the mechanic said the transmission is slipping. will cost like $1800 for a rebuild. i don't believe in putting that much into a car that's almost 10 yrs old (bought it in dec 2001), but don't know what else to do. just bought my house June 2010 and i'm on furloughs so a new car, or even a good used one, is out of the question. previously i had a 93 Honda accord who's engine cracked and leaked oil all over my driveway. was told this was a problem with that car. got it fixed. a few months later carburetor problems so i said no mas and bought this car because Honda is supposed to be reliable. is Honda even reliable anymore? i mean i understand problems will happen with older cars but when you take the time, money and energy to keep up the car, such major problems shouldn't happen right?

- , Artesia, CA, USA

Jul 312008

Civic LX

I noticed that after my car had been stolen, that my transmission seem to slip when the car was cold, and only between the 2nd and 3rd gear. Assuming the thieves must have run the #%$&^%$ out of my car, it was thought that, that was the cause of the problem. My insurance replaced the transmission with a used one (don't honda transmissions last forever!!). All was good for awhile.

Soon after the exact thing started happening again, only when the car was cold, and only between 2nd and 3rd shift. Honda could not find a problem, sent it to another transmission shop and they said that this has been a problem with honda transmissions of this year (gee why didn't Honda tell me that!). and yes they took it for a test run when it was cold, I doubt Honda did, or they would have definately noticed the problem. Still have not had this 2nd transmission fixed, as am trying to get help from Honda..ha ha.They obviously wont stand behind their product, and having previously owned another honda for many years prior to this one, I now know I wont buy honda again.

- , Abbotsford, BC, canada

Mar 142011

Civic LX

WELL I REALLY DON'T KNOW WHAT THIS FALLS UNDER,BUT WAS TOLD THAT CODE P0740 HAS TO DO WITH THE TORQUE CONVERTER AND THAT'S THE TRANS,I TOOK IT TO MY DEALER BECAUSE I BROUGHT IT A MONTH AGO,AND I'M WAITING ON HIS RESPONSE,I DON'T HAVE ANY WARRANTY ON IT AND IM A SINGLE PARENT OF THREE CHILDREN WITH VERY LOW INCOME,i THOUGHT THIS WOULD BE A GREAT INVESTMENT FOR MY FAMILY BUT NOW I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO.

- , Newark, New Jersey, USA

Aug 012010

Civic LX 1.7L

Like many others, transmission slips. Especially between 2-3 gears. Honda needs to make good on this defective product.

- , Hancock, MI, USA