2003 Honda Civic transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Honda Civic:

2003 Honda Civic Owner Comments

Dec 132010

Civic 1.8L

Yesterday morning I woke up early, cleaned the snow off my car, put it in gear and tried to drive to work. It accelerated, but the engine revved louder than usual, which I took for the wheels slipping on the ice. As I pulled up to a stop sign one hundred yards from where I began, I tried to accelerate after the stop and the car would not move. The wheels wouldn't turn. I got out to look and saw red fluid underneath and immediately shut off the car and had it towed. I check the fluid levels regularly and had just checked the transmission fluid a week before, at which point it was fine. The mechanic at the shop called me up two hours later and said he wanted me to come down. It turns out I had the same problem as a previous poster. The plastic guard wore into the aluminum transmission into a fluid channel. The mechanic said he'd never seen anything like it in 27 years. This is clearly not an operator error or due to normal wear, but a manufacturing defect, right? Has anyone had any luck getting Honda to pay at least part of this?

- , Cincinnati, OH, USA

Dec 162008

Civic LX 1.8L

Did anyone ever hear of this. A plastic guard wore thru the transmission housing into a fluid channel draining all the fluid. My son was driving at the time and noticed the loss of power. Shouldn't plastic wear before aluminum? Now I have reverse but no forward gears. If someone else seen or heard about this before please let me know. So much for Honda reliability.

- , Georges River, NS, Canada