6.9

2. repaint the entire car (4 reports)
2004 Honda Civic body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Honda Civic:

2004 Honda Civic Owner Comments

Jan 012011

Civic LX 1.7L

We find it funny to see how many cars like ours are on the road with the paint issues as well. We have found it is mainly the darker colors like our blue and the dark green.

I have a 1996 Honda with 465,000 miles that doesn't have this issue.

- , Portland, TN, USA

Jan 012010

Civic LX 1.7L

Clear coat paint is peeling off on front and rear hood and the roof. I first noticed the problem 5 yrs ago and really looks ugly

- , Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Jul 022013

Civic VP

click to see larger images

peeling clear coat peeling clear coat

I want my car to look good. I want it fixed. The clear coat on the top of my car is pealing away. And my driver door is pealing paint.

- , Plano, IL, USA

Jul 172013

Civic LX

This started slow and quickly expanded to cover the whole roof. As of this writing it is now starting to show itself on the trunk and hood areas as well. My 2004 civic is starting to look like an 80's model!!

- , High Point, NC, USA

Aug 172012

Civic EX 4 cyl

My car looks like crap and I've kept it up so well but there was nothing I could do to stop the spread of this cancer on the hood, roof and trunk. And now it's spreading to the side panels. My last 4 cars were brand new Hondas and they are all still in the family, and none of them have the problems this car...MY CAR...has. This was supposed to be a no brainer, buy a Honda and be set for 20 years. But no, now I either have to repaint it ($$) or trade it in on something NOT HONDA.

- , Pleasanton, CA, USA

Nov 122008

Civic VP

Clear coat peeling off. I used regularly paint protection, regardless the paint did not last long.

- , Coral Springs, FL, USA

Jul 012011

Civic DX V4

I wanted to add this to the existing complaints I saw under Honda: Paint. I see there are a lot of us and Honda is saying it's just from weather. Really? My 1995 Dodge Dakota's paint job is not peeling and it's 9 years older. We need a class action law suit.

- , West Palm Beach, FL, USA

Aug 102008

Civic LX 4 cyl, 102 Ci

click to see larger images

peeling clear coat

First brought the paint/clear coat peeling problem to the local Honda dealership in August 2008. The paint peeling now affects about 75% of roof of my Civic and some of the front bumper. The problem continues to get worse with each passing day. The Honda dealership service manager told me that it was caused by either a car wash or an electronic buffer (used only once). I have seen many other Civics on the road with the same problem. Clearly there is an underlying manufacturer's quality issue that's not being acknowledged or addressed.

- , Puunene, HI, USA

Jan 022010

Civic ES 1.7L

About 4 months ago my car starting looking like it had a skin disease. I asked a couple people and they said it was peeling clear coat and I needed to get the whole car painted to get rid of it. It's all over the car now. Ugh. I just read online other car owners are having this problem too but no solution except to paint it yourself..Good if you have the money....

- , Chickasaw, AL, USA