2004 Honda Civic drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Honda Civic:

2004 Honda Civic Owner Comments

Jul 112015

The contact owns a 2004 Honda Civic. While driving uphill at 30 mph, the accelerator pedal was depressed but the vehicle did not accelerate. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 170,000.

- El Paso, TX, USA

Nov 252014

Civic 4-cyl

Was driving down the street, came to a stop light then the vehicle would not go. When I hit the gas all it did was rev up. I shut the car off and restarted it was able to start moving then the car would not shift into second gear. I had the car towed and was informed the transmission was gone.

- Seminole, FL, USA

Sep 032014

The transmission dash light came on then the car jumped hard out of 2nd gear and into third. Then the car was jerking like someone was pumping the brakes hard so I tried shifting to 4th and the jerking got worse with a grinding noise causing the car to be extremely hard to control and keep on the road almost causing me to hit a telephone pole at about 40 mph it all just happened with out warning or any indication very unsafe and extremely frightening.

- Lyons, NJ, USA

Nov 152013

The vehicle is growling and rumbling in low gears, shifting from first to second. I took the car in and they want to rebuild transmission. I find at 77000 miles the vehicle transmission should not be failing. Researching has amounted to numerous vehicles that have the same problem. One mechanic has personally seen 4 vehicles in past few months with the same problem. I believe the manufacture should take responsibility for this matter!

- Portland, OR, USA

Nov 112013

Civic 4-cyl

My transmission in my 2004 Honda Civic 5 speed manual ex model is making a grinding noise and causing the car to decelerate faster than normal, it almost caused a lady to hit me in the read end. It is causing a jerking, lurching of the car while driving. I took it to a local shop and they said it was something in the transmission and it was also causing the drive axes to wobble causing the rotors to shimmy the tires. Took the car to Honda dealer this morning and they said from the sound and a test drive it was the transmission input shaft bearing bad. Honda customer service said they had recalls but not on my VIN number. This can cause the transmission to lock up while driving and is very unsafe. I was told not to drive the car and have parked it. Honda won't acknowledge the problem but online forums are loaded with 200-2005 Civic transmission failures.

- Centerville, OH, USA

Sep 122013

Had problems with the transmission slipping for a couple of months. Then while accelerating into traffic it decided to stop working completely and leave me stranded across the middle of a 4 lane highway with oncoming traffic. I have since replaced the transmission and within 2 weeks the new transmission is doing the same thing.

- Pensacola, FL, USA

Jan 142013

Civic 4-cyl

My car started making a growling noise when accelerating. I came to find out from research that it was the transmission input shaft bearing. I have seen and heard many other Honda Civic owners with the same problem.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Jul 302012

Civic 4-cyl

Started hearing noises coming from the transmission when I shifted into 1st and 2nd gear. Sounds like a bad bearing possibly, I'll find out when I take it in to the shop for sure. After doing some research it is apparent that at my mileage it is more than common for Honda's transmissions to start failing. Disheartening to find out Honda doesn't help with goodwill repairs for this well documented trend of transmission problems. Thinking that buying another Honda recently may have been a bad idea.

- Floral City, FL, USA

Jun 112008

Civic 4-cyl

The car makes noise when car is parked on neutral, the car manual it also makes the noise louder on first gear like at 2500 RPM. Sounds like the input shaft bearing.

- Vacaville, CA, USA

Mar 222006

Civic 4-cyl

The input shaft bearing or throw bearing in vehicle is making a loud clicking/rattling noise through all gears. I'm leaning more towards the input shaft bearing being gone or shot. A lot of talk on the web about these going in the earlier Civics. More noticeable in 1st-3rd. I've found through other websites that they is a recall on VIN specific Honda Civic up to the year 2004.

- Morrisonville, NY, USA

Mar 252012

Civic 4-cyl

Input shaft bearing failure...thought it was originally the clutch, release bearing and fork paid and replaced and problem still persisted...this is a common problem with this model and year and is a constant progression of noise and inhibits acceleration and smooth driving...I feel as if the car is ready to completely fail and I've driven manual transmissions all my life so user error is not the cause... I've always stood by Honda and there products all my life and hope there customer service and loyalty is still of highest value and the right actions on their part are done to rectify this recurring issue in there product. I drive over 100 miles a day and hope one day I am not stranded or worse in an accident due to my car suddenly halting due to misaligned gears on the freeway...

- White Lake , MI, USA

Dec 012011

Civic 4-cyl

At 6X,000 miles my Honda should not be making this noise! the noise is a terrible clicking noise when the clutch is up and gets extremely bad when accelerating. I'm embarrassed to let anyone drive in my car. I bought this car to save money not to spend it! if I wanted to waste money repairing cars I would have bought european! I guess I'm not taking any girls out on dates. Thanks Honda!!

- Torrance, CA, USA

Nov 012011

The contact owns a 2004 Honda Civic hybrid. The contact stated that while accelerating from a complete stop, the vehicle started to jerk violently and hesitated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer who diagnosed that the starting clutch was defective and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 105,000 and the current mileage was 108,000.

- Los Angeles , CA, USA

Jul 012011

When I purchased this vehicle, I changed the ownership information with american Honda. I later checked if there were any open notices or recalls. Honda told me there was none. However, this vehicle had a notice alerting owners to cvt belt slippage. Honda sent this notice to the previous owner. When the owner changed, Honda should have considered this notice open again. Sending a notice to a previous owner does not inform the owner and the purpose of this kind of notice is to ensure the owner has the information. This failure resulted in my vehicle's transmission failing in operation. Had I received the notice, I would have known the slight shudder was a serious transmission problem and the vehicle could have been repaired safely, rather than failing catastrophically on the road. Honda needs to fix their notification system to consider all notices (unless the problem is repaired) re-opened on change of ownership. Otherwise, the purpose of the notification system is defeated, possibly leading to catastrophic failure in the failed (as it did in my case) or worse. I discussed this issue with Honda and they maintained that once a notice was sent on an issue, the notice was closed with respect to that vehicle. This makes no sense. The purpose of a notice is to alert the owner, not the vehicle.

- Murphys, CA, USA

May 042007

I have had on going problems with the transmission, started as a judder when accelerating but after the dealership burnished the transmission a few times and changed some parts as per service bulletin because this year car is know to have problems with transmission. The judder has now become a hesitation when trying to accelerate and sometimes will do it multiple times causing the car not to accelerate properly. Now that the only thing left to do is change the transmission Honda says they cannot do anything because they cannot duplicate the problem. I agree that it happens only occasionally but it is still dangerous because when you expect the car to accelerate and it does not it can be dangerous. Especially since it is a know problem with this year model but Honda will not do a recall, I guess so many people have to get into an accident before something is done.

- Opelika, AL, USA

May 062007

The contact owns a 2004 Honda Civic. While driving approximately 35 mph, the vehicle vibrated excessively and hesitated when the accelerator pedal was depressed. The failure occurred whenever the vehicle was in operation. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer for inspection twice and the transmission fluid was changed both times. The technician speculated that the failures could be contributed to the starter clutch and valve. The vehicle has not been repaired. The failure mileage was 71,716 and current mileage was 110,000.

- Algonac, MI, USA

May 202007

Civic 4-cyl

Transmission slipping on 2004 Honda Civic hybrid. I have been having issues with my transmission slipping on Civic hybrid since about 30K miles. I now have 86K miles. The 1st time I brought it into my Honda dealer in South charleston wv the mechanics said Honda said to flush the transmission fluid twice to fix the issue. They did and everything seemed to be ok. Then at about 60K the same thing happened and the Honda dealers mechanic said Honda said they knew about the problem and came up with a "new transmission formula" to fix this. I live off a major road which is 45mph and on a blind peak of a hill. When I step on the gas I need the car to move and not slip like it has in order to avoid on coming traffic. I noticed the same thing happening at 85K miles and brought it back in. This time they said they couldn't get the thing to register any faults. Now at 86K my transmission light went on and I have been noticing the slipping getting worse. I have the extended warranty good up to 100K miles but feel this to be a major safety hazard and cover up by Honda to avoid paying to replace all these defective transmissions. I will be bringing my car back into the dealer over the next few days.

- Elkview, WV, USA

Jun 012006

Consumer's 2004 Civic pulled left. Accelerator would not engage when depressed and the vehicle would make a sudden jump. The vehicle was taken to the dealer but the were unable to determine the cause of the problem. The consumer also experienced problems with the vehicle's stereo and gear system. The dealer repair the loose wire but the stereo's sound is affected when the vehicle hits bumps in the road. The consumer was told that the gear shift was replaced. The rubber seal on the windshield popped up. The paint on the back fender started to flake. The brake began to make noise even after the vehicle was parked.

- Euless, TX, USA

Aug 202004

Problems with transmission and tie rod bolts were loose. The consumer took the vehicle to the dealer because there was a noise in the passenger front wheel and the gears were grinding when moving form second to third gear. The technician told the consumer that the vehicle's tires were bald therefore she was racing the car. He went on to say that he would not check the transmission unless she agreed to pay for it. The consumer appealed the decision of the dealer and contacted the manufacturer. The struts were loose on the right side. The tie rod bolts were loose which was probably the cause of the bald tires. The manufacturer refused to honor the warranty for the transmission although the vehicle was only six months old.

- Ozone Park, NY, USA