1.6

2004 Honda Civic engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Honda Civic:

2004 Honda Civic Owner Comments

Mar 022016

Civic

SRS light on for years. Told it was nothing to worry about. Then Honda says it is a serious safety issue, I have to pay hundreds of dollars for repair. Transmission went out cost over $2500 so far, car still isn't working. Well known problem but Honda is greedy and won't pay to fix their unsafe vehicles. Car overheats when using the heater. Driver seat feels like it is going to move while driving. I will never buy a Honda ever again.

- Mesa, AZ, USA

Jan 282016

Civic

At 74,515 miles the transmission is out of my 2004 Civic, ..the car is in excellent condition even the original floor mats are in place and look great because of my care of the car, ...I want Honda to pay for the cost of a new transmission for choosing to install a cheep one and knowing it wouldn't last. I was driving home from work and was just about ran over by traffic when my car began to slow and make noise putting me in a very stressful situation.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Aug 242014

Civic

Manual transmission Honda Civic LX 2004 reaches rattling/grinding noise when reached 2000 RPM or so. The noise is loud and downshifting becomes very rough. The car slows down when not pressing accelerator. Even when in neutral the car sounds with a rattle. Only when the clutch is pressed does the sound minimize. Car feels vulnerable when driven like this. It's mainly due to the noise, and feeling of the car. The input shaft bearing is the problem. Many reports were blogged and diagnosed. The car still runs. Unfortunately it's not clear for how long.

- Ithaca, NY, USA

Nov 132014

Civic 4-cyl

Hot air was not blowing. Noticed little bit of green coolant on the garage floor. There was enough coolant in the reservoir. Took it to the Honda dealer. Pressure test was performed. Service told me that head gasket blown and need to be fixed immediately otherwise car may become stalled anytime. 5 months ago same dealer performed timing belt, water pump maintenance. Mileage is very low for head gasket related issues.

- Olathe, KS, USA

Nov 152013

Civic

The vehicle is growling and rumbling in low gears, shifting from first to second. I took the car in and they want to rebuild transmission. I find at 77000 miles the vehicle transmission should not be failing. Researching has amounted to numerous vehicles that have the same problem. One mechanic has personally seen 4 vehicles in past few months with the same problem. I believe the manufacture should take responsibility for this matter!

- Portland, OR, USA

Sep 252012

Civic

Today, I was driving my wife S 2004 Honda Civic in the highway at about 60 miles per hr when all of the sudden the car started accelerating as if it was in cruise control.. I took my foot off the gas pedal and pressed the brake with little results. The brakes felt so hard as if they were locked. Then I decided to change gears to D2 and together with the emergency brake I was able to slow down the car a bit. After that, I pulled over the brake down lane at about 10 miles per hour but I still could not stop the car. With the help of the emergency brake I was able to stop the car however, the engine was still running as if it was accelerating. This is when I decided to put it on neutral and follow by a loud noise the engine finally stop running....thank god no one was hurt....

- Lowell, MA, USA