2004 Honda Civic miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Honda Civic:

2004 Honda Civic Owner Comments

Jul 272004

Civic 4-cyl

Since I bought this car all I have had were problems. The 1st problem was that the odometer was going more miles than I was driving. Sometimes it was even right on the dot. I tested it against my 00 Civic and 3 other cars. My Civic was consistently off on trips over 20 miles. The first dealer could not duplicate it just driving around the block. I took it there 4 times within the first couple of months. I also had to get an oil change every 3.5 weeks because I had gone 5000 miles supposedly. The last time it was at that dealer there was a new service manager who's excuse for what was wrong with it was that I had somehow switched it from mi to km and that I needed to get out the manual and figure out how to fix it. During this time I had written Honda customer service and they had all kinds of different ideas what was wrong with it and how it was my fault, not an actual problem. The next week I took it to another dealer who right away found there was a problem. When they called Honda to figure out what to do since they had never seen this they were told not to do anything. They advised I come back and meet with the Honda rep. I did and they tried running tests, checking tire pressure and everything came up ok. Someone had mentioned it could be an electrical problem. As time went on other things stopped working right in the car. The interior lights buzzed when they were on. The car has had trouble starting, temperature did not affect it. Turning the heat and A/C knob will change the station on the radio. The cigarette lighter will stop working for 5 minutes then come back on. More recently I've been having transmission problems(auto). The car won't shift, revs high, the jolts and w/cruise set it just accelerates for no reason. I will not buy another Honda.

- Ocean City, MD, USA