2004 Honda Civic seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Honda Civic:

2004 Honda Civic Owner Comments (Page 3 of 4)

Nov 182014

Vehicle was taken to dealership due to airbag recall. Customer was informed that passenger airbag requires replacement, part had to be ordered and would take up to 2 weeks. Dealership said it was dangerous to continue to operate the vehicle but offered no alternate transportation.

- Goose Creek, SC, USA

Nov 172014

The contact owns a 2004 Honda Civic. After the vehicle was repaired according to NHTSA campaign number: 14V353000 (air bags), the contact received an invoice stating only the bolts were replaced. The recall stated that the entire air bag inflater needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not fully serviced under the recall. The manufacturer was not notified. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 31,041.

- Tamarac , FL, USA

Nov 122014

Called America Honda on 11/12/14. Asked if there was a recall on airbag and seat belt problem. Warning light has been on for several weeks. Honda said there was no recall on my car, after giving VIN number. I ask why the airbag/seatbelt light remained on. Honda said she was not allowed to speculate what was wrong with the car. One place on the internet said Honda was going to do a recall starting Nov.24 2014. What happens if my wife or myself gets hurt before the recall starts?

- Taylorsville, UT, USA

Nov 032014

I have made repeated calls to Honda America at 1 800 999 1009 I cannot get an answer from anyone as to whether or not this car has a takatta airbag which is a potentially a small bomb mounted in front of the passenger and or driver. I've called two Honda dealers in the seattle wa area and they will not directly answer the question, all they will say is there is no recall for this vehicle at this time!!! given the state of ethic S and honesty in this country today I am somehow a bit distrustful of corporate Japan, corporate say nothing of General Motors and the problem of ignition switches purposely buried for years...executives should be jailed.

- Seattle, WA, USA

Apr 012014

Civic 4-cyl

Airbag light remained "on" for almost 8 months.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Nov 012014

Civic 4-cyl

My complaint is about a dealership handling my airbag recall for my 2004 Honda Civic. I took my car into the dealership willett Honda South in morrow, ga., to be "inspected, " they claimed they did not have the airbags in stock even though my Honda case manager said they did. The dealership went out of their way to find other things wrong with my car to get me to spend money there, they were also extremely flippant about my concern about continuing to drive this car even though nothing had been fixed on the car at all. The person handling my checkout experience basically said "well you have been driving this car for 10 1/2 years, what are the chances something will happen." I can't believe someone at the Honda dealership would be this way about airbags that have killed people.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Sep 112014

Civic 4-cyl

Informed by dealership on routine maintenance that our car is under a recall this was in early September of 2014 and of today's date(10/26/14) have not received any information and when contacting dealership they reply that they are waiting on Honda. Can I drive my car safely. Who is criminally responsible.

- Adin, CA, USA

Oct 102014

The contact owns a 2004 Honda Civic. The contact stated that air bag warning light remained illuminated. The vehicle had not been diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 129,000.

- Columbia, MD, USA

Jul 012014

The contact owns a 2004 Honda Civic. The contact stated that the air bar warning indicator remained illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 170,000.

- Piscataway, NJ, USA

Jul 272013

Civic 4-cyl

SRS light came on dashboard. Brought to dealership and after diagnostic test informed part of recall. No charge. It has been one week waiting for replacement part to arrive and no communication from them yet. Since getting the automobile back, the light has not appeared. More concerned with the inconsistent experience as the light should still be on and its not.

- Mountlake Terrace, WA, USA

May 142013

Civic 4-cyl

Air bags warning light came on dash board.

- Milwaukee, WI, USA

Jul 062012

Civic 4-cyl

SRS (airbag) light remains on. Seat belt tensioner requires replacement. The SRS airbag light controls not only airbag functionality, but also seat belt tensioners; the things that hold you in during a crash. Honda will not replace the seat belt tensioner.

- Glenside, PA, USA

Feb 172012

Civic 4-cyl

SRS light came on. Vehicle taken to dealer as advised in manual. Appointment offered for 2/21/12. Diagnosis: Driver's seatbelt buckle faulty. Part "on national backorder"--unknown when it will be available. Meanwhile, since this is the only car I have, I am forced to drive a vehicle with a useless/potentially useless seatbelt and no air bags!

- East Greenbush, NY, USA

Feb 032012

Civic 4-cyl

I was in an accident going 45mph. The entire front end was destroyed and none of the airbags deployed. Without my seatbelt I more than likely would've gone thru the windshield. There were no lights indicating any kind of problems prior to the accident. And in my opinion they just failed to deploy. As I stated earlier, the front of the car is all but gone. Based on the amount of airbags complaints there is a problem that needs to be addressed here.

- Lake Park , FL, USA

Jan 162012

Civic 4-cyl

My SRS light had been coming on and off for months. I received a "recall letter" from Honda 1/3/12, for an airbag issue. I called dealership service dept, was told that my car was not part of that recall. I was part of a mass dumping from Honda for cars from 2000-2004. I then told them that my SRS light was coming on and off, was advised to bring into service dept. I did. While being serviced, technicians scanned vehicle & checked for codes (which was $95) - no codes were found. They then ran a diagnostic troubleshoot, which indicated that SRS control unit needed replaced and then recheck. Was told that would be $495, they did not have the part and would have to order it. Was also told, they were not even sure if that would be my solution. When I asked them what would have caused this control unit (for airbag safety feature), to need replaced. I was told that they "were unsure and maybe a short caused it. It is an electrical unit and many things could go wrong." When I asked what could cause a short, was told, ¿¿not sure, could be wetness or an electrical malfunction." (wet inside my car, I know for a fact that is not the case.) I then stated, that this sounded like a manufactures defect to the unit. I was told otherwise. I asked about what happens when the SRS light is on, told that the airbags will not be active and not deploy if in accident. Why is there no lifetime warranty on the airbag safety feature & system, (which is on all cars today), like there is for the seat belt mechanism & system? upon review of NHTSA, I see that there are numerous other complaints of this issue, of the SRS light coming on and the control panel malfunctioning with suggested replacement.

- Erie, PA, USA

Oct 312011

The contact owns a 2004 Honda Civic. While the contact was driving approximately 45 mph, the SRS warning indicator illuminated on the instrument panel consistently until the engine was turned off. The vehicle had not been diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was unavailable.

- Mooresville, NC, USA

Aug 092011

Civic 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Honda Civic hybrid. The contact stated that while driving 60 mph, the driver lost control of vehicle. As a result, the vehicle veered off the road and crashed. The only airbag that deployed was the side passenger airbag. The contact also stated that the vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer prior to the failure because the airbag warning light was illuminated. The vehicle was not repaired at the time because the parts were not available. A police report was not filed and no injuries were reported. The vehicle was towed to a local repair shop, where they were unable to diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileages were 62,000. Updated 09/21/11 updated 10/07/11

- Springfield , OR, USA

Jun 012011

2004 Honda Civic. Consumer states safety defect in air bag system the consumer stated the air bag light illuminated.

- Toms River, NJ, USA

May 282011

Civic 4-cyl

I have a 2004 Honda Civic ex sedan. The driver's side seatbelt sensor that connects with the larger SRS safety system was triggered for no apparent reason. When this sensor indicates a failure, the SRS light comes on and the airbags are taken offline and prevented from being deployed. Thus, it is a serious safety concern. I took it to the dealership Honda of pasadena, where they reset the sensor, tested it, and declared that it was not faulty. So they would not replace it under warranty, nor give any discounted price for replacement. My concern is that the sensor triggered for no reason, so it is likely to trigger again for no reason, disabling airbag deployment in the case of a crash. I can't take this chance given that I and my family have a long road trip next week. So I need to pay $320 out of pocket to have the sensor replaced. Online Honda-specific forums make it clear that I'm not the only one dealing with a mysterious triggering of the driver's side seatbelt sensor. There are at least 6 other cases that I could find. I reported my case to Honda corporate, and was informed that no recall or extended warranty existed as yet for that sensor. I hope that the NHTSA will keep a record of complaints about this sensor failure.

- Pasadena, CA, USA

Jun 142010

The contact owns a 2004 Honda Civic. The contact stated that the air bag light warning light illuminated continuously. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who previously repaired the air bag light yet the failure recurred within a few months. The manufacturer was not contacted and the vehicle was not further repaired. The failure mileage was 129,700.

- Bella Vista, AR, USA