8.0

1. replace power steering pump (1 reports)
2004 Honda Civic steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Honda Civic:

2004 Honda Civic Owner Comments

Sep 062008

Civic VP

On Saturday, I was turning into my neighborhood and I heard a clicking sound that only happened when I made 90 degree right or left turns. Shortly afterward, I had to drive about 3 miles to my in-laws and as I turned into their neighborhood, I heard/felt a sharp click and experienced a complete loss of power steering. I drove straight to the dealer (after dropping off my 2 year-old with my in-laws) and was told that the screw that holds the power steering pump had come loose (probably related to the clicking sound I heard) and the pump had completely broken off (resulting in loss of power steering).

Unfortunately, my dealer does not have a power steering pump in stock, so I won't get my car back until Monday at the earliest (if a local dealer has the parts) or Tuesday (if they have to order the parts).

This was a scary thing, suddenly loosing my power steering with very little warning while I had my daughter in the car. Thankfully, I was in a residential neighborhood and not on a highway or high traffic road when it happened.

- , Mount Laurel, NJ, USA