2004 Honda Civic steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Honda Civic:

2004 Honda Civic Owner Comments

Feb 052014

Civic 4-cyl

When I took vehicle to regular fluid exchange for 80K mileage, Honda service experts said, compliance bush for the front wheel has been cracked. They also said it is pretty serious to drive and need to be replaced soon. The local mechanic shop are not aware of these repairs. None other vehicles has this kind of defects and it is never mentioned in Honda manual. Simple search in the internet resulted numerous complaint about this. Considering the pretty seriousness of this issue, consider safety fact on Honda vehicles based on this issue.

- Walnut Creek, CA, USA

Feb 272011

Civic

The contact owns a 2004 Honda Civic. The contact stated that while driving 20 mph the steering wheel locked causing the contact to lose control of the vehicle and crash into a ditch landing on its side. There were no injuries. The police were not notified. The vehicle was towed to her residence and will be driven to the dealer at a later date. The dealer and manufacturer was not contacted. The failure mileage was unknown. The VIN was unknown. Updated 03/29/11 updated 05/26/11 updated 05/31/11 updated 1/4/11

- North Little Rock, AR, USA

Aug 062008

Civic

The first time during the 1st week of August 08, my wheel locked. I was in the process of turning into a parking lot and there was no oncoming traffic. Aaa tow truck guy found loose nut on power steering pump (right next to belt) right away and tightened it for me. It was a temp fix so I could drive to get service instead of tow. Unfortunately, I don't think my Honda service people didn't check it like I requested cause it came loose again (1 wk later)...locking my wheel. I thank god I wasn't on a freeway or making a sharp turn around other vehicles. Honda mechanics don't understand why this nut is coming loose. They claim they re-tightened ("torqued") it but I'm scared. It could come loose again!!!! still in process of having problem corrected.

- El Sobrante, CA, USA

Aug 162004

Civic 4-cyl

Purchased 2004 Civic vp new (this is my 4th Honda Civic). From day 1, there has been a noticeable vibration/shimmy in steering wheel and front end. Upon visit to dealer, I was told that the vibration/shimmy could not be duplicated, but oem tires (dunlop SP20) could be separating. During a subsequent visit, vibration/shimmy was acknowledged. Dunlop dealer said that the tires are okay, but 2 front wheels were bent. Honda dealer replaced 2 front wheels and remounted/rebalanced the original tires. All tires were rebalanced and rotated. Vibration/shimmy persists and continues to be noticeable at all speeds. Steering wheel vibration/shimmy is observable and felt when turning the wheel, regardless of vehicle speed. Dealer suggested test drive of identical 2004 Civic vp; I, and the dealer service manager, noticed the same issues with this Civic. Problem remains unresolved.

- Birmingham, AL, USA