8.2

$3,448.00

2. replace transmission (6 reports)
  3. replace part # 23451-pdm-a00 and also part # 23531-p24j00 (1 reports)
2004 Honda Civic transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Honda Civic:

2004 Honda Civic Owner Comments

Aug 082014

Civic HX

80,000 miles and needs a new transmission and transaxel!!!! my mistake was not doing research on the internet before I bought this used car. contacted Honda for "goodwill help" with repairs and was turned down. will never buy a honda again.

- , Anchorage, AK, USA

Dec 132013

Civic LX 3.2L

My car still new to me even if it is nine years old and only has 77,000 mile on it. It had a slipping problem in my transmission and was told to change the fluids and it should be correct . It worked for a block and then started slipping again. This has to be a problem with which Honda should have a recall on this TRANSMISSION being that it is an on going problem with the 2004. My Mister Blue should not be needing a new or rebuild transmission with miles like this.

SO HONDA PLEASE RECALL AND FIX THE PROBLEM WITH THE TRANSMISSIONS IN THE 2004. I TRUSTED THAT THIS WAS A GOOD CAR TO NOW BE LET DOWN.

- , Brooklyn, New York, USA

Aug 022013

Civic

I THINK HONDA SHOULD BE RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS PROBLEM. IT SEEMS THAT ITS A DEFECT IN THEIR AUTOMOBILE, SO HONDA I'M ASKING YOU THE COMPANY TO PLEASE FIX MY VEHICLE. I'M A 52 YEAR OLD FEMALE AND BECAUSE I DON'T WANT TO HAVE OR CAUSE AND ACCIDENT WHICH COULD BE FATAL TO ME OR SOME ONE ELSE.

I KNOW THAT YOU THE COMPANY HAVE GOTTEN PLENTY COMPLAINTS ABOUT THE TRANSMISSION IN THIS 2004 HONDA CIVIC MODEL VEHICLE. I HAVE READ PLENTY OF THEM ON LINE AND I KNOW YOU ALL HAVE TO. SO PLEASE TAKE RESPONSIBILITY AND FIX MY VEHICLE AND ANY MORE THAT NEED IT, IT IS BETTER THAN HEARING SOMEONE HAS HAD A BAD INJURY OR EVEN A FATALITY BECAUSE OF THIS PROBLEM, WHEN IT COULD HAVE BEEN TAKEN CARE OF BY YOU THE COMPANY.

I ALSO SEE SOME OTHER COMPLAINTS WITH THIS VEHICLE WHICH YOU THE COMPANY HAVE DONE A RECALL ON, SO PLEASE DO THE RECALL ON THIS TRANSMISSION PROBLEM. IT'S THE RIGHT THING TO DO. THANK YOU.

- , Shreveport, LA, USA

Sep 052004

Civic

The dealer didn't want to take the responsibility and was keeping telling us there were no problems.

We went to his copetitor and they fixed it and charge to the first dealer...But we still have noise on this transmission.

- , Gatineau, Quebec, Canada

Dec 232012

Civic LX V6

I trusted Honda's reliability reputation. They failed me and many others. I owned a 1988 Honda for over 15 years with only minor issues. I was shocked when the transmission failed on my 2004 Honda Accord V6. I also had to replace the power steering pump and power steering hose. Which according to the recall notice, Honda will not reimburseme me as it happened after the notification! Shame, shame on Honda!

- , Pleasanton, CA, USA

Nov 272011

Civic VTI 150i

I started accelerating on D when the traffic lights came on go, when suddenly i accelerated in vain, it was like in NEUTRAL and accelerating... Then my mechanic asks me to turn off the engine, to open the front boot and remove the oil gear measurer and let my auto gear's to cool down after 15mins n to start back. I drove in less 500meters and faced the same prob to work at home.

- , Vacoas, Grannum Road, Mauritius

Aug 012011

Civic EX 1.7L I4

With this year's Civic, I have heard that Honda has started using cheaper parts or cheaper transmissions altogether. This should not happen to a transmission with 140,000 miles on it. My father is in the used-car business. I see cars, hundreds of them, with over 250,000 miles and the trans is perfect. Cars driven under normal conditions, like i had the entire time i owned the car, should not have these problems. Please, I have heard there is some sort of recall on it. I'm a young pilot, trying to make it in the airline world, and having this problem with my transportation is terrible and extremely annoying. If my vin number falls into this recall category please help. I need help bad, THANK YOU

- , Staten Island, NY, USA

Apr 182011

Civic EX V4

I have been continously getting the problems with the transmission every now and then starting sept 2010. I have been doing regular servicing at American Service station. But everytime the problem was something different that caused the transmission to fail.

The worst was when it came without any warning when i was on my way back from airport after picking up my family. I was merging on to 85N in atlanta when suddenly the gears dis-engaged and the car was slowly loosing speed. I was lucky to move over to the shoulder without causing any damage. But the car would not engage and had to tow my car back. The worst part was that after the long flight (24hrs) i had to ask my family members to walk to the nearest ramp to get a taxi back home. This was just horrifying and with a Brand like Honda, this should not have happened.

The other 2 times, i had to forfiet my reservation and cancel my travel plans midway through the journey because the car engine light went off and the gears went bonkers. they were changing on their own and also reving up every now and then. This was very frustrating

- , Johns Creek, GA, USA

Dec 282010

Civic LS V4

I don't understand how this problem isn't a recall and is not considered dangerous. I was on a major road and all of a sudden, the car started to slow down, like it was in neutral. I was giving it gas and nothing. The cars behind me were up my ass and beeping their horns!

I had to immediately put on my hazard lighs so they would know there was a problem. He had to swerve around me or he would have hit me. I was lucky to find myself in front of a car dealership. I was pushed into the dealership by the workers. Now from this website I understand Honda will charge me over $2000. This is bull. This needs to be a recall because it is very dangerous and a saftey issue.I don't have this kind of money. I don't even know what to do

- , Parlin, NJ, USA

Sep 152010

Civic VP 1.7L

click to see larger images

transmission failure transmission failure transmission failure transmission failure

This is my third Honda now and up until this point I have been pretty happy and they have a great reputation of "lasting forever." There is just no reason for a gear to crack all of the way thru. The Transmission shop manager told me in 15 years he had never seen anything like this especially in a Honda. he said that no transmission gear should crack like this even at 150,000 miles let alone at 60,000. He said that it was clearly a defect in manufacturing and that there is no amount of rough driving that caused this. he said he had seen cars that were forced into reverse that messed up transmissions but caused gear teeth to bust but not the entire thick metal cog to fracture all the way through.

- , Columbus, OH, USA

May 222010

Civic ES 1.8L

My Honda Civic 2004 has just show my how bad these transmissions are.

It is showing me a code P0730 Gear ratio Incorrect

- , Brentwood, NY, USA

Mar 242010

Civic

i had a rebuilt transmission out in car in 2007 and now it is slipping again.

Honda needs to recall these transmissions and DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS AS I SEE I AM NOT THE ONLY ONE THAT HAS THIS PROBLEM

- , Bethlehem, PA, USA

Apr 152009

Civic LX

Two weeks ago, transmission on 2004 Honda civic acted significantly problematic was told by dealer just change fluid and it looked like a emissions control issue. Yesterday, Honda dealer confirmed electronic test showed transmission failure - incorrect gear ratio - and that it will cost $3500-3800. The car is only worth $8000 at best - has 76000 hwy miles with new tires and brakes. I'm frustrated and need to make a decision - do I pay and have it fixed or dump Honda and get Ford??

- , Pewaukee, WI, USA