2005 Honda Civic body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Honda Civic:

2005 Honda Civic Owner Comments

Jun 282006

While driving on the freeway at approximately 50 mph, I noticed a medium sized puddle ahead - in my exit lane. I slowed down to approximately 30 mph, but had no choice other than to go through the puddle. Upon doing so, the front portion of the plastic cover that goes across the bottom underside of the car became unhooked and began dragging on the ground. I took the car to the nearest dealer. They placed the car up on the rack and showed me the underside of the car - the plastic piece had cracked and broken away from the clips that hold it into place. The dealer refused to issue a warranty repair on this part, stating that it was due to my negligence. When I asked them what I had done that was negligent they pointed me to the scrapes and scratches on the plastic and said that I had obviously driven over things (curbs/speed bumps/etc) that were too tall for my vehicle to clear. This is not the case - it seems to me more like a case of cheap plastic not being able to withstand driving through a puddle! when I explained to them that the scratches came from driving from the puddle to the dealership, they had no reply other than to tell me that I could order a part and pay for service/labor. I declined, and currently have the bottom rigged on with industrial zip ties, as I pay enough for the car to begin with.

- Carlstadt, NJ, USA