1.9

2005 Honda Civic drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Honda Civic:

2005 Honda Civic Owner Comments

May 132014

Civic

My transmission is slipping and barley shifting into 2nd gear to 3rd it has 95000 miles on it and the transmission is bad all 2000 to 2005 Honda have bad transmission problems but they never recalled it why"???? now I had to replace the head gasket because it was blown at 75000 miles thats to early for that to be happening I spent 2000 grand on it already why didn't they recall this???"

- Cape Elizabeth, ME, USA

Sep 102014

Civic

This car has a defective transmission. Unknown to me, it came that way from the dealer. A couple Honda dealerships acknowledged the problem. It first started slipping around 40,000 miles. I had the transmission fluid changed ahead of schedule and the problem went away. This was when they told me of the class action law suit and the recommended fixes. The transmission initially failed at 54,300 miles. Stevens creek Honda cleaned the transmission with a special detergent and replaced the fluid. They said if the problem came up again before 109,000 miles they would have to 真burnish真 the transmission. What I didn't realize is that the detergent cleaning was a 真band-aid真 fix so that the dealership could avoid the more costly fixes they were obligated to perform under the terms of the lawsuit. The car performed normally again. I would have the fluid replaced more that normal during service visits. The transmission failed again at 124,700 miles. Now they don真T want to cover the cost because it is now longer under warranty, or covered by the terms of the class action lawsuit. This is essentially fraud. They did a cheap ineffective cleaning in order to avoid and expensive repair they were supposed to do. Also, when the transmission fails, I have almost gotten in a serious accident on the freeway. This is a very dangerous problem. I will never buy a Honda again

Sep 252010

Civic

This car has a defective transmission. Unknown to me, it came that way from the dealer. A couple Honda dealerships acknowledged the problem. It first started slipping around 40,000 miles. I had the transmission fluid changed ahead of schedule and the problem went away. This was when they told me of the class action law suit and the recommended fixes. The transmission initially failed at 54,300 miles. Stevens creek Honda cleaned the transmission with a special detergent and replaced the fluid. They said if the problem came up again before 109,000 miles they would have to "burnish? the transmission. What I didn?T realize is that the detergent cleaning was a ?band-aid? fix so that the dealership could avoid the more costly fixes they were obligated to perform under the terms of the lawsuit. The car performed normally again. I would have the fluid replaced more that normal during service visits. The transmission failed again at 124,700 miles. Now they don?T want to cover the cost because it is now longer under warranty, or covered by the terms of the class action lawsuit. This is essentially fraud. They did a cheap ineffective cleaning in order to avoid and expensive repair they were supposed to do. Also, when the transmission fails, I have almost gotten in a serious accident on the freeway. This is a very dangerous problem. I will never buy a Honda again?"

Sep 232010

Civic 4-cyl

This car has a defective transmission. Unknown to me, it came that way from the dealer. A couple Honda dealerships acknowledged the problem. It first started slipping around 40,000 miles. I had the transmission fluid changed ahead of schedule and the problem went away. This was when they told me of the class action law suit and the recommended fixes. The transmission initially failed at 54,300 miles. Stevens creek Honda cleaned the transmission with a special detergent and replaced the fluid. They said if the problem came up again before 109,000 miles they would have to "burnish? the transmission. What I didn't realize is that the detergent cleaning was a ?band-aid? fix so that the dealership could avoid the more costly fixes they were obligated to perform under the terms of the lawsuit. The car performed normally again. I would have the fluid replaced more that normal during service visits. The transmission failed again at 154,600 miles. Now they don?T want to cover the cost because it is now longer under warranty, or covered by the terms of the class action lawsuit. This is essentially fraud. They did a cheap ineffective cleaning in order to avoid and expensive repair they were supposed to do. I will never buy a Honda again?"

Jun 142012

Civic 4-cyl

The car has begun making a loud noise, when in gear, this is a manual transmission car, but whenever I am in drive it makes this loud grinding noise. If I am in neutral no noise at all. And sometimes even in drive is intermittent.

- East Newark, NJ, USA

Mar 052012

Civic 4-cyl

There was a rattling noise coming from transmission, took to Honda certified mechanic and was told it was the throwout bearing and to replace the clutch as preventative maintenance, get a call when they have clutch off and told me its the bearings in the transmission. This is a common problem in this make and model, there are numerous complaints, and videos on youtube of the same problem on Honda Civics around the same mileage.

- Veguita , NM, USA

Nov 042011

Civic 4-cyl

Horrible noise coming from my '05 Civic LX's manual transmission. Noise has been getting worse; started at 115K miles. I have spoke with a few mechanics and they told me most Honda have a recall for this problem. I called Honda customer service at 1800 999 1009 and they didn't wanted to fix it free of charge.

- Denver, CO, USA

Jan 312011

Civic 4-cyl

2005 Honda Civic dx manual transmission: My car start having a rattling noise from transmission when I release the clutch.I took the car to get it fixed and they told me is the transmission's input shaft bearing(common problem for this model)and it will cost me $1000 to get it fixed. I heard this a Honda recall issue.

- La Mesa, CA, USA

Sep 012011

Civic

The contact owns a 2005 Honda Civic. The contact was driving approximately 70 mph when the vehicle exhibited an abnormally loud noise. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where they advised the contact that the failure was caused by the input shaft bearing, which would need replacing. The vehicle was not repaired for the input shaft bearing. The manufacturer was contacted and they offered no assistance. The failure mileage was approximately 120,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Staton Island, NY, USA

Oct 032011

Civic

Coolant keeps leaking. Went online and found numerous other owners reporting the same problem. My mechanic can't seem to fix the problem neither can any of the other owners online mechanics. Replaced the radiator and cap, water pump, head gasket, etc... but it still leaks. Can you please look into this. There are a lot of people online reporting the same problem but there's no bulletin number in your database for the 2005 Honda Civic cooling system. Thank you for your time and have a nice day.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Aug 082011

Civic 4-cyl

2005 Honda Civic hybrid: Engine light came on and has been determined that the catalytic converter needs replacing along with the CO2 sensors, cost $2000. What causes a cat conv to go bad? Honda could not provide this information and refused to look into any service bulletins or recalls. This vehicle is only 6 years old, 83045 miles. We have had numerous issues with this vehicle, including the clutch, replacement of hybrid battery, seat belts and now this.

- Johns Creek, GA, USA

Mar 152011

Civic

Component 1 ima (hybrid) battery assembly failure, not charging properly component 2 cvt transmission, 'start clutch' slipping & grinding when starting up from a stop

- Corrales, NM, USA

Oct 032007

Civic

When accelerating quickly from a stop, the car makes a huge grinding noise--heard mostly in the front end. When accelerating slowly, no noise is heard. The car also slips horribly on wet or slippery pavement when accelerating from a stop. I have had the dealer say "this is a normal sound" when it failed when they tested it (I have recorded this in my files at the dealer when it was under warranty) and also when I brought it to an independent garage. They found nothing wrong with any of the front end parts and diagnosed it as an internal problem that they couldn't find or fix.

- Rockford, IL, USA

Apr 252008

Civic

The contact owns a 2005 Honda Civic hybrid. The vehicle has a special transmission, which does not shift into gear. When the contact depressed the accelerator pedal, the RPM's increased to 5,200. While driving 25 mph, the vehicle experienced a lack of horse power and decelerated. The dealer stated that the shifter was designed to work in this manner and there was no remedy. The failure mileage was 46,000.

- Delhi, CA, USA