2005 Honda Civic seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Honda Civic:

2005 Honda Civic Owner Comments (Page 4 of 4)

Apr 142008

Civic 4-cyl

My father was involved in a crash with a 1997 Chevy 1500 pickup while driving his 2005 Honda Civic. The damage to the Honda is extensive. The driver's air bag did not deploy and his neck was broken. The damage literally peeled back the front of the car and exposed both air bag sensors. He survived he accident and is now in rehab. We have two obvious questions: 1) why did the air bag not deploy? 2) could a broken neck have been avoided?

- Austin, TX, USA

Dec 282006

Civic 4-cyl

An accident occurred with one other vehicle. My Civic was hit on the front left drivers side. When the accident happened I hit the windshield and then the air bag deployed hitting my chest and not so much my face, resulting in massive swelling on the left side of my face, a 6cm hematoma on my forehead and scalp from hitting the windshield, 2 black eyes and a fractured wrist from hitting the bottom of steering wheel. I had my seat belt on and so did the passenger. From the seat belt on the passenger's side, his injury was a punctured small intestine.

- Marlton, NJ, USA

Aug 092006

Civic 4-cyl

On the date indicated, I was involved in a collision with an oncoming vehicle while making a left hand turn. The air bag did not deploy. The vehicle was declared a total loss by my insurer. The adjusters that performed the assessment stated that the airbag should have deployed in this accident. This is a potential problem with the safety restraint system.

- Navarre, FL, USA

Jul 092006

Civic 4-cyl

My daughter has a 2005 Honda Civic hybrid. Her car was involved in a one person accident. Her boyfriend was driving and fell asleep at the wheel. He hit a dip in the road on California highway (blue slide rd @ neymouth bluff rd). He went off a 15 foot drop off and then rolled the car 150 yards to the bottom of a ravine. He had his seat belt on. The car had four airbags - none of which deployed. They had to cut the seat belt to get him out and then cut off the top of the roof. There was no front bumper left on the car. He is in critical condition in a California hospital with major head trauma and no facial bone left intact in his face. If the air bags, even one of them had deployed the damage would have been far less.

- North Logan, UT, USA

Mar 302006

Civic 4-cyl

I was involved in a 3 car wreck, where a lady going approx 45-55 mph hit my 2005 Honda Civic which was stopped and knocked me into a truck ahead of me which was also stopped it totaled my car. Both front and back were completely crashed in and my air bag did not deploy, causing injury.

- Spartanburg, SC, USA

Jul 012005

Civic 4-cyl

Consumer stated her son was involved in a rollover accident. Prior to the accident the anti-lock brakes did not work and the air bags did not deploy on impact. The dealership told her the airbags could still be checked to see if they are defective. The vehicle rolled twice and the front end hit the ditch. There was dew on the road and there was a deer in the road. He then slammed on the brakes and they locked up. There was a police report filed. He sustained a bruise collar bone, bruises on his legs, a bump on his head and he has to go to the dentist this week to have his teeth checked. The vehicle was totaled and when the consumer called the dealership they told her to call and file a complaint.

- Toledo, IA, USA