2006 Honda Civic body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Honda Civic:

2006 Honda Civic Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Dec 012012

Civic 4-cyl

About 6 months ago, when my car was about 6 years old, I started noticing whitish markings in the paint on the roof of my car. Since then these light marks have turned into major chipping and peeling paint. I have never owned a car that had this problem, whether or not the car was mostly in a garage or left outside on the street. Before going into the dealer to complain, I decided to search the web as I had a feeling I was not the only one having this problem. I was right! thousands of other car owners have been experiencing the same thing in both Honda Civic's and Accord, from model years 2003 to 2007, and there is even a class action lawsuit detailing the problem. Honda, apparently, is not accepting responsibility for this glaring defect and I, for one, am extremely disappointed in their refusal to step up and recall the cars or issue payments to owners to cover repainting. It is obvious that this is their responsibility, and their refusal to do the right thing, in this day and age of social media, will likely severely hurt their sales. Honda needs to step up and reimburse the thousands of people who own affected cars? the resale value has been severely affected by these defects.

- Glen Ellen, CA, USA

Sep 062012

Civic 4-cyl

Paint and clearcoat is peeling on hood, roof, fenders, and trunk lid. Seems to be a clear problem with the type of paint/clearcoat used or application.

- Brentwood, CA, USA

May 152012

Civic 4-cyl

I just recently had my car front fenders and hood painted at 87,000 miles because of the malfunction Honda had, but at 60,000 miles I was hand washing the car like I always do and when I sprayed it with water some of the right side quarter panel paint just flaked off.. I feel like this is the same problem Honda has with the clear coat.

- Lake Hopatcong, NJ, USA

Jan 202011

Paint on the roof of the car is peeling off on both driver and passenger side.

- Dinuba, CA, USA

Jul 012012

Civic 4-cyl

The clear coat is almost all peeled off my entire car in a matter of months. Now the paint underneath is fading in color too. I don't even have my car half way paid off. This is Honda's fault. They need to take responsibility and recall the paint. I know people with Honda Civic's that have this problem with their paint too. It looks bad for Honda. Do they really want potential customers seeing their vehicles driving around looking like crap" I would not have gotten this car, if I knew it was going to look this bad. It looks awful! I wanted a good car that would last a long time. I loved the car but now the paint looks disgusting. Many really old cars look better thank this. Seriously Honda" you save a little money doing a crappy paint job.. but that's losing you many customers. I will not buy another Honda unless you fix this. And I will not recommend a Honda to anybody. Recall the clear coat peeling!

- Tuscaloosa, AL, USA

Oct 212010

Civic 4-cyl

The paint on my 2006 Honda Civic is horrible and defective. Honda has had so many issues posted online regarding this in this model and make of car. Please look into this as it is a driving distraction. They really need to recall this issue and address the customer service aspect of this problem.

- Visalia, CA, USA

Jul 232012

Civic 4-cyl

The paint to my 2006 Civic coupe is starting to peel on the roof between the windshield and the sunroof. It looks like a clear coat failure that is affecting many, many Honda owners. Upon calling Honda of America, they acknowledge a paint problem with certain Odyssey models but not the Civics even though it is almost the exact same problem.

- Morrisville, PA, USA

Sep 132010

I noticed the clear coat coming off my Honda Civic about a year ago, and have been trying to get in contact with Honda but the representative only comes every so many months. When I did finally get ahold of him and inform him of the clear coat coming off which even in his words should never happen. I was told since out of warranty they would do nothing even though I I formed him of all the complaints about the clear coat. Honda admitting a problem but refusing to do anything for the valued customer.

- Wichita Falls, TX, USA

Apr 012011

I have a 2006 Honda Civic and the clear coat is already peeling off. It began with one spot on the roof of my car and now many more spots have appeared over the past few months. It looks like I am driving a 15 year old car.

- Cantonment, FL, USA

Jul 162011

Civic 4-cyl

My wife has a 2006 Honda Civic that has an issue with the paint. It seems like the hood, roof, and trunk are beginning to oxidize. We have taken the vehicle in to our local dealership and they have paid about 60% of the cost with our out of pocket cost at about $300. No it looks like the other parts of the car that did not get painted are beginning to oxidize again. The doors, front fenders and rear fenders are beginning to oxidize again. The local dealer is going to paint them but our out of pocket cost is around $320 again. This looks like it is happening with many 2006 Honda Civics and I hope a lawsuit or recall is started so I can get re-imbursed for the costs of having to paint after only 5 years of ownership on a brand new Civic.

- Miami, FL, USA

Aug 062010

Civic 4-cyl

The paint on the top of the car around the sunroof started to oxidize after 3-4 years of ownership. It is isolated only to the roof of the car so it has to be a manufacture problem. The car is kept in the sun but no other areas of the car has become oxidized. There are plenty of people with paint issues with the 2006 Honda Civic coupe and this issue should be addressed. If the Honda doesn't pay the repair cost, it will cost everyone with the paint issues hundreds of dollars to have it fixed.

- Auburn, AL, USA

May 172010

The contact owns a 2006 Honda Civic. The contact stated that the weather strips on the door were cracked and broken. The strips were replaced the previous year at the dealership. The vehicle was taken back to the dealership for a second time and the contact was informed that he would be responsible for the cost of the repair. The contact had not spoken with the manufacturer at the time of the complaint. The current and failure mileages were 27,824.

- Diamonbar, CA, USA

Sep 192008

We were driving on 2 lane highway at 55 mph. No warning of a pending problem. Half of the front bumper came loose from the frame and fell down and struck the pavement, then began bouncing up and down, tearing things up. Loud noise like piece of tire flapping in wheel well. We stopped and investigated the damage. Could not drive over 35 mph to the next town, some 20 miles away. Reached town and bought and used duct tape to hold the fender up off the ground so we could drive home. We then took the car to a local Honda dealer. We were told the underneath plastic clips and other components were damaged and that the car must have been run into a curb or something like that. I investigated further, as I knew that the car had never hit a curb. It has, however, made scraping noises when passing over a typical parking lot wheel stop. In my judgment, the damage was cause by the fact that the front of the vehicle does not clear wheel stops, and hitting wheel stops has severely damaged the plastic components under the front end, resulting in the bumper falling off at highway speed. Had both sides of the bumper come loose, I would have run over the bumper, probably losing control of the vehicle and becoming involved in a wreck. Looking under the vehicle, you can see that both sides have been damaged by scraping over parking lot wheel stops. We were lucky to have survived. I consider this a serious safety hazard because: 1) we could have been killed; 2) parking with your wheels against a wheel stop in a parking lot is a normal practice and is not something one would normally worry about. Repairs exceeded $485 at a private collision repair center and would have cost approximately $800 at the dealer. Repairs: Replaced clips, some plastic components under front end, and repainted bumper. The dealer refused any warranty coverage.

- West Palm Beach, FL, USA

Sep 152007

Civic 4-cyl

I bought my 2006 Honda Civic ex coupe brand new in November 2005, problems started to occur shortly afterwards for instance the airbag light had a malfunction and recalled the dealer didn't fix it the first time, very inconvenient, brake pedal was fixed before I bought the vehicle, there was a recall on that as well because could fall off and cause a crash. I have taken it in to Honda service to get problems fixed and numerous times, been told that its normal or some other "!@#$% they always gave me the run around, the service people are rude, mean and incompetent and ignorant. I have taken my 06 Civic in a total of 8-10 times now to fix problems they never fix anything! interior trim is poor/poor altering from the factory, panels loose and popping out interior scratches too easily/fragile cheaply made "!@#$% (still), front drivers seat wont retract all the way back anymore like it used to (new) weather stripping is lifting up by front windshield (still) various rattles from interior (still), undercoating/under body spray from factory is peeling completely off (new) door panel flexes and rpms rise when using windows/now seems to roll up/down slower than before (still/new) keep in mind im only at 11,000 miles too! Honda and Toyota quality is going downhill very fast especially with the Civic, CRV, rdx, MDX, Camry, Tundra, highlander, landcruiser, yaris, and rav4. The last year before the redesign of these vehicles the quality was great, now it seems like Honda and Toyota are either teaming up together or competing to see who can make the cheapest and ?!@#$% vehicle with cheaply made materials and taking shortcuts, changed a suppliers or something, these problems are unacceptable for a new vehicle.

- Monument, CO, USA

Dec 042006

Civic 4-cyl

2006 Honda Civic harbors mice in air ducts/heater fan/cabin air filter assy. Honda refuses to put screen on input to outside air inlet. Mice infested car. I have allergys that cause me to sneeze and have asthma attacks. I believe these attacks lead to dangers while driving. Honda says 'mice stuff' is hazardous material but refuses to correct the problem. My dealer 'vacuumed up 'mice stuff'. however according to government guidlines vacuuming 'mice stuff' can cause more harm than good. Should be disinfected.

- Thompson, ND, USA